🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Breaking Update: Obama Replaces “Allah” with “God” in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer’s Calls

First, "Obama made them change it"? I suppose that's possible, but I'm doubting you have any actual evidence of that.

Second, people who speak Arabic use the word Allah. Not everyone who speaks Arabic is Muslim. As has been pointed out multiple times, Arabic Christians use Allah.

Third, that the shooter pledged allegiance to various Islamic terror groups has already been reported widely. I don't see how this would in any way cover that up.

Unless you can show me that Allah is only a Muslim word, or you speak Arabic and know that it is a mis-translation to say it means God, how does what you posted refute what I've said in any way?

Cutting out the shooter's pledges to ISIS or claims of doing the shooting in the name of Islam may not have been the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean when translating something from Arabic to English one shouldn't translate the word Allah.

OMG! Somebody get me an aspirin before I have a heart attack. Someone who posts neutrally objective remarks that have intellectual rigor! You must often feel like the odd man out on here.
Yes, I am going to call you out on this 320. There are several posters here that (particularly there4eyeM) that have articulated a very strong argument as to why there is a difference in the two terms and you are avoiding addressing those statements.

I'm not deliberately avoiding them. I truly don't think I've seen them. Which ones have you in mind?

The majority of readers of the transcript are English speaking Americans for whom Allah may be Allah, but is not 'God'. Anyone who understands linguistics understands that. Words have meaning and often nuance; otherwise they are meaningless. These meanings and nuances have been explained. Words, ultimately, mean whatever people decide they do, however. We can say that 'green' is 'black', but it sort of ruins both names.

Why is Allah not God? That's what I'm not understanding. If it is the Arabic word for God, or more specifically for the god of Abraham, and it does not mean simply the Muslim version of God, I don't understand the problem with the translation. You seem to be assigning a meaning to the word Allah without actually providing that meaning.
If you are going to translate Allah it would be god - generic and unspecific as you are using the term god to refer to any particular god - not the proper form God as the christian God of the bible. It would be more accurate to leave the term Allah as is referring to the specific god in question. Allah is essentially, it seems to me, the proper name for the Islamic god where God is the proper name for the christian god.

Ask yourself, If I were to tell you that John is going over there to pray to God what image do you get in your head? Then imagine that I tell you he is going over there to pray to Allah?

If you are being honest, the two statements have slightly different but distinct implications. What you expect from each of those statements. The second gives more accurate information than the first from an adherent to Islam. Communication and language are used for a purpose - to convey meaning. Chianging the term here from Allah to God accomplishes one thing - the loss of meaning rather than increasing understanding. Why, then, would you do so? From a communication standpoint - it is counterproductive to do so.

What I may think of the word Allah doesn't necessarily have much to do with its actual meaning. I don't speak Arabic. :)

Again, multiple sources have said that Arabic Christians use Allah. If that is the case, translating Allah as God seems to be accurate. From what I've read translating it as the basic noun god would be inaccurate.

Now as I said, I don't speak Arabic. I'm just going by the little I've seen written about the definition of the word on a few websites. Do you speak Arabic? That would certainly be helpful. Or do you perhaps know that Arabic Christians do not use Allah for God?

A large majority of Arabic speakers may follow Islam, but that doesn't mean the word is exclusive to Islam. Translating the word to English may have been done as part of an agenda. That doesn't make it inaccurate. :dunno:

The majority of readers of the transcript are English speaking Americans for whom Allah may be Allah, but is not 'God'. Anyone who understands linguistics understands that. Words have meaning and often nuance; otherwise they are meaningless. These meanings and nuances have been explained. Words, ultimately, mean whatever people decide they do, however. We can say that 'green' is 'black', but it sort of ruins both names.

Why is Allah not God? That's what I'm not understanding. If it is the Arabic word for God, or more specifically for the god of Abraham, and it does not mean simply the Muslim version of God, I don't understand the problem with the translation. You seem to be assigning a meaning to the word Allah without actually providing that meaning.
If you are going to translate Allah it would be god - generic and unspecific as you are using the term god to refer to any particular god - not the proper form God as the christian God of the bible. It would be more accurate to leave the term Allah as is referring to the specific god in question. Allah is essentially, it seems to me, the proper name for the Islamic god where God is the proper name for the christian god.

Ask yourself, If I were to tell you that John is going over there to pray to God what image do you get in your head? Then imagine that I tell you he is going over there to pray to Allah?

If you are being honest, the two statements have slightly different but distinct implications. What you expect from each of those statements. The second gives more accurate information than the first from an adherent to Islam. Communication and language are used for a purpose - to convey meaning. Chianging the term here from Allah to God accomplishes one thing - the loss of meaning rather than increasing understanding. Why, then, would you do so? From a communication standpoint - it is counterproductive to do so.

What I may think of the word Allah doesn't necessarily have much to do with its actual meaning. I don't speak Arabic. :)

Again, multiple sources have said that Arabic Christians use Allah. If that is the case, translating Allah as God seems to be accurate. From what I've read translating it as the basic noun god would be inaccurate.

Now as I said, I don't speak Arabic. I'm just going by the little I've seen written about the definition of the word on a few websites. Do you speak Arabic? That would certainly be helpful. Or do you perhaps know that Arabic Christians do not use Allah for God?

A large majority of Arabic speakers may follow Islam, but that doesn't mean the word is exclusive to Islam. Translating the word to English may have been done as part of an agenda. That doesn't make it inaccurate. :dunno:

This has been explained in posts. Look into it on the 'web and come to your own conclusions. Hint - 'Allah' in Arabic does not mean 'I am'.

The way I'm reading the transcript, his statements were in Arabic, and they were translated into English, hence "God" instead of "Allah." Am I wrong?

Allah is the name of their god, it is not God.

Allah was originally the term used for the Arab pagan moon god, which the pedophile prophet highjacked. He forced the pagans to abandon their gods but let them keep one. That is why the Muslims have the saying "there is only one god and his name is Allah", and that is why the symbol for Islam is a moon.

The way I'm reading the transcript, his statements were in Arabic, and they were translated into English, hence "God" instead of "Allah." Am I wrong?

Yes you are. The literal translation of "Allah" in Arabic is "Allah" - not God.
Allah: definition of Allah in Oxford dictionary (American English)
Allah
Pronunciation: /äˈlä/

/ˈalə/

The name of God among Muslims (and Arab Christians).

For the love of it all.....Not everyone on the planet speaks English. Are you daft or something?
So no translations from any language to English are valid?
This is a deflection.
Allah is not a word that needs to be translated and when done so it loses meaning. There was no reason to actually change that word to God.

The term god is ambiguous - it can refer to any god - the term Allah is SPECIFIC. It is the name of the Islamic God. Why change a term that is specific and widely understood?
The translation is God. It's not ambiguous in any way. Unless of course you're uneducated.

The edits just seem odd to me and pointless.

Indeed. A "translation" Should be the EXACT translation of the record. Not changed to reflect what YOU want it to say.
So put it in fuckin' Arabic, so no one understands what he said?

You're some kind of stupid. "ALLAH" means "GOD" just like "YAWEH" does. Any idiot knows the meaning of the word "ALLAH". so tell me lady, why does it need to be changed?
I'm not stupid; I'm the one who pointed out Allah means God in translation. Why is it such a big deal that they used the English version? I'm afraid you seem the idiot for getting so darned upset about it. The guy was a terrorist. The world knows it. He supported ISIS. Settle down.
There was no reason for the administration to use subterfuge.

There is nothing ambiguous about it. The text plainly shows it as a translation into english. You are free to mentally insert Allah in place of God if you wish.

Indeed. A "translation" Should be the EXACT translation of the record. Not changed to reflect what YOU want it to say.

You're some kind of stupid. "ALLAH" means "GOD" just like "YAWEH" does. Any idiot knows the meaning of the word "ALLAH". so tell me lady, why does it need to be changed?
I'm not stupid; I'm the one who pointed out Allah means God in translation. Why is it such a big deal that they used the English version? I'm afraid you seem the idiot for getting so darned upset about it. The guy was a terrorist. The world knows it. He supported ISIS. Settle down.

There is nothing ambiguous about it. The text plainly shows it as a translation into english. You are free to mentally insert Allah in place of God if you wish.

The point here is that Obama and Lynch "translated" Allah to God in order to soften the message that the murdering muslim was conveying. They wanted to lessen the significance that the murder was done in the name of islam.

Now, why would they do that? Why does Obama continually try to minimize the radical muslim threat? Why?

This has been explained in posts. Look into it on the 'web and come to your own conclusions. Hint - 'Allah' in Arabic does not mean 'I am'.

Are you saying God in English means 'I am'?

Do you speak Arabic?

Do you refute the idea that Arabic Christians use the word Allah for God?

You keep saying it has been explained, but your explanation seems to consist mostly of "because I say so".

Again, translating Allah to God may have been done as part of an agenda. I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that, from what I've seen, it wasn't an inaccurate translation.

Do you speak Arabic?

You keep saying it has been explained, but your explanation seems to consist mostly of "because I say so".

Again, translating Allah to God may have been done as part of an agenda. I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that, from what I've seen, it wasn't an inaccurate translation.

It is possible to look these things up.
It is also possible, if that is done, to understand what the name of 'God' in the Hebrew texts translates to in English.
Hint: it isn't "Allah".

Breaking News Update:

Is this insane or what. He wants to tie Christianity into this terror attack.

Obama Replaces "Allah" with "God" in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer's Calls

Christianity never has and never will associate itself with violence.

Bwa ha ha ha ha .....

Christians absolutely will rise up and go to war with evil. Here's a tip, don't become an evil murderous punk and you wont get the shit kicked out of you by a Christian.

Do you speak Arabic?

It is also possible, if that is done, to understand what the name of 'God' in the Hebrew texts translates to in English.
*sigh*

Again, rather than say what you mean, you beat around the bush.

I'm not saying that Allah translates to YHWH. On the other hand, YHWH doesn't translate to God, either, so far as I know, so if that is the name of God you are talking about, it's immaterial here.

From what I've seen, the most literal translation of Allah would be 'the god'. And AGAIN, from what I have read, Arabic Christians use the word Allah when they want to say God. So how, then, would God be an inaccurate translation of Allah? Keep in mind that I've said multiple times I am not arguing against the idea that translating it was done as part of an agenda or to push a particular narrative.

EDIT : Oh, and here's an example that might clarify my point. An Islamic phrase which I think most people in the US have heard of before is Allahu Akbar. I've seen or heard that translated on quite a few occasions. I don't know that I've ever heard it translated as 'Allah is great'. Instead, when it is translated, it is 'God is great'.

Do you speak Arabic?

*sigh*

Again, rather than say what you mean, you beat around the bush.

I'm not saying that Allah translates to YHWH. On the other hand, YHWH doesn't translate to God, either, so far as I know, so if that is the name of God you are talking about, it's immaterial here.

From what I've seen, the most literal translation of Allah would be 'the god'. And AGAIN, from what I have read, Arabic Christians use the word Allah when they want to say God. So how, then, would God be an inaccurate translation of Allah? Keep in mind that I've said multiple times I am not arguing against the idea that translating it was done as part of an agenda or to push a particular narrative.

Oh, fer fucks sake people. You're all over the place and I'm not sure either of you really knows what the heck you're talking about.

YHWH is a proper name, typically translated into English as Yahweh. The figure Yahweh dates back at least to the iron age (possibly earlier), and was originally a member of the Canaanite pantheon. His origins are not entirely known. He was recognized by the Israelites and Judaens as their patron deity and it is possible (maybe even probable) that he was originally perceived as an ordinary deity only to later become recognized as the chief god of the pantheon. However, it is also possible that the name was merely a local name given to the pre-existing deity El, who was otherwise recognized as the chief god of the Canaanites, because the name was sometimes used as a byname of El. We just can't say for certain whether this was their way of placing Yahweh above all other deities, or their way of otherwise naming El. Many early civilizations recognized their own unique deity as El. The emergence of "modern" Judaism can be more or less said to be the development of Abrahamic monotheism (which was mostly due to Zoroastrian influence), whereby Yahweh became recognized as the only god, with all other deities becoming his host of angels (also a Zoroastrian concept). Hence, the names of angels are things like Gabriel, Michael, Azazel, Raphael, etc. The host of deities (i.e. the race of divine beings) came to be known as the Elohim, which is a plural form of El.

"Allah" is a title in Arabic which means "God." It originates from the Semitic "El" which is means "god." As stated above, the term "El" was often used in ancient Semitic texts to refer to a chief god, though was often used to simply refer to lesser deities. Allah predates Islam, and has always been used to refer to deities of various religions.

Thus, to properly understand deities in the Abrahamic family, we must first understand that we are talking about cultures where language and customs began as polytheistic and later morphed into a monotheistic form. We must also understand that the evolution of language occurs independently of the evolution of religious beliefs. As a result, ancient examples will not always fit into a neat and tidy easy answer, and we cannot look at the matter one dimensionally and hope to gain any meaningful insight. Finally, we must be especially careful to remember that there is a difference between names and titles, but that in religion these sometimes are equivocated over time among lay people, and that through most of history the uneducated lay people are the ones who were most likely to influence the evolution of language. Therefore, this potential for equivocation is important for understanding the development of these concepts, but must also be rejected in that they cannot be controlling when sorting out the identity of these figures through history.

Both Jews, Christians, and Muslims worship the same god, the "God of Abraham." In Jewish tradition the name of God is often said to be unfit for humans, which is why the "YHWH" tetragrammaton was used in writing, and why "HaShem" (which means "the Name") is used nowadays to refer to God. In Christianity this idea was abandoned, and the English translations of the Greek and Latin translations of YHWH became known as "Jehovah." Islam has 99 different names for God, though they are actually descriptive titles, each which is said to describe a certain feature of God (while "Allah" refers to God generally). The reason "Allah" is preserved in Islam across languages is because Islam recognizes Arabic as the holy language, because it was the language in which God gave the Koran (which means "the recitation"). Not because it's a proper name.

And since it was mentioned, Arabic Christians do use the word "Allah" to refer to their God, as do Middle Eastern Jews.

The point here is that Obama and Lynch "translated" Allah to God in order to soften the message that the murdering muslim was conveying. They wanted to lessen the significance that the murder was done in the name of islam.

Now, why would they do that? Why does Obama continually try to minimize the radical muslim threat? Why?

There is no evidence of that. It's simply another dopey conspiracy.

Allah translated means God. Nothing else. When muslims invoke the name of Allah in prayer, they are speaking to God.
It is the very same God of Moses in the Bible and the Torah. To suggest otherwise is the actual conspiracy the dopes are trying to invent.

Daesh (another term for the so-called Islamic State, and a name it apparently dislikes, so useful as counter-information), is not a country and the U.S. cannot deal with it as one. A 'declaration of war' by a bunch of death-cult fanatics is serious, but not the Empire of Japan or Nazi Germany. The U.S. and its allies took four years to defeat the Axis Powers, yet this 'war' with Daesh has already gone on longer. Without going into conspiracies, something has to be 'up' for things to have continued this way.
This is a 'war' that may need arms and troops in some cases, but it is much more to be fought with words and ideas. The West has superior cultural and social offerings that can appeal to young people much more than the mind-numbing theocracy enforced by Daesh. The timidity with which this advantage is being put forth is shocking. The 'right' attributes this to weakness by the 'left', but it is not so simple. The 'right' and 'left' can only accomplish this together. Solidarity is necessary to defeat the menace. Division only serves the enemy.
If the 'left' thinks touchy-feely-huggy humanism will work, they are sorely mistaken. If the 'right' thinks segregation and prejudice will work, they are entirely wrong. The effort has to be clear, concentrated and concise. If there is to be a future, it is not going to be based on a troglodytic theocratic theme. All the wisdom of the ages, and all the science of today, forbid it. We have to do all within the power of our pervasive media to get this across. Where and when we can and must confront armed adversaries, they must be eliminated quickly and thoroughly. Anything that could turn them into 'heros' or 'martyrs' must be avoided. And glorification of them is reprehensible and must not happen.

I have no clue where you came up with some of your claims.

I don't know of anyone who has compared this war on terror with WW-I or WW-II. The enemy has no country and fights without uniforms or rules.

ANYONE who thinks this is a war to be fought more with words and ideas than combat is living in the same fantasy world as Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama.

We have a president who won't even identify the enemy. We've also not been fighting the war as long as you infer. President Obama surrendered the year he took office giving birth to ISIS which he has tried diligently to pretend does not exist. His goal is to run out the clock and dump the whole mess he and Hillary Clinton created in Donald Trump's lap.

This is the world in which Progressive's actually believe we can lay down our guns and sit in a circle singing Kumbya.

Diane%20Feinstein_zpsgyl7lakh.jpg

Daesh (another term for the so-called Islamic State, and a name it apparently dislikes, so useful as counter-information), is not a country and the U.S. cannot deal with it as one. A 'declaration of war' by a bunch of death-cult fanatics is serious, but not the Empire of Japan or Nazi Germany. The U.S. and its allies took four years to defeat the Axis Powers, yet this 'war' with Daesh has already gone on longer. Without going into conspiracies, something has to be 'up' for things to have continued this way.
This is a 'war' that may need arms and troops in some cases, but it is much more to be fought with words and ideas. The West has superior cultural and social offerings that can appeal to young people much more than the mind-numbing theocracy enforced by Daesh. The timidity with which this advantage is being put forth is shocking. The 'right' attributes this to weakness by the 'left', but it is not so simple. The 'right' and 'left' can only accomplish this together. Solidarity is necessary to defeat the menace. Division only serves the enemy.
If the 'left' thinks touchy-feely-huggy humanism will work, they are sorely mistaken. If the 'right' thinks segregation and prejudice will work, they are entirely wrong. The effort has to be clear, concentrated and concise. If there is to be a future, it is not going to be based on a troglodytic theocratic theme. All the wisdom of the ages, and all the science of today, forbid it. We have to do all within the power of our pervasive media to get this across. Where and when we can and must confront armed adversaries, they must be eliminated quickly and thoroughly. Anything that could turn them into 'heros' or 'martyrs' must be avoided. And glorification of them is reprehensible and must not happen.

I have no clue where you came up with some of your claims.

I don't know of anyone who has compared this war on terror with WW-I or WW-II. The enemy has no country and fights without uniforms or rules.

ANYONE who thinks this is a war to be fought more with words and ideas than combat is living in the same fantasy world as Lame Duck President Barack Hussein Obama.

We have a president who won't even identify the enemy. We've also not been fighting the war as long as you infer. President Obama surrendered the year he took office giving birth to ISIS which he has tried diligently to pretend does not exist. His goal is to run out the clock and dump the whole mess he and Hillary Clinton created in Donald Trump's lap.

This is the world in which Progressive's actually believe we can lay down our guns and sit in a circle singing Kumbya.

Diane%20Feinstein_zpsgyl7lakh.jpg

when the gunman realizes no one else is armed at DuckDuckGo

Just in case you think that quote in the picture is a real thing. ;)

The reason "Allah" is preserved in Islam across languages is because Islam recognizes Arabic as the holy language, because it was the language in which God gave the Koran (which means "the recitation").
Why would we regard Arabic as a holy language? Why would we embrace the Arabic term for what Islam calls 'God' when, in Arabic, 'Allah' means 'the god' and 'Allah akbar' means 'Allah is greater' (than any other god)? What would cause us to join one religion in their belief by replacing one noun that we understand quite well, Allah, with a less precise and potentially misunderstood noun, 'God'?
The 'name' of the Hebrew and Christian 'God', received by Moses, is a verb form. It connotes a subtle, but important, nuance to 'Deity', unique to its time and to ours. Even as a person who considers himself a participant of no religion, I recognize this interesting and important distinction. The only reason to refute this that I can see is to insist there is no difference between religions, something that any real Moslem would dispute.
I have no political or ideological motive for these posts; they are for information. Those who are convinced one way or another will certainly not be converted by these contributions; those who are neutral will be informed and, if interested, will look into it for themselves and come to their own conclusions.
Personally, I don't care what you think.

Why would we regard Arabic as a holy language?

Where did I say you should do anything? Islam recognizes Arabic as the holy language. Thus, Muslims use the Arabic "Allah" regardless of the language they personally speak. It's not a difficult concept and intentional obtuseness is not going to get you anywhere.

Why would we embrace the Arabic term for what Islam calls 'God' when, in Arabic, 'Allah' means 'the god' and 'Allah akbar' means 'Allah is greater' (than any other god)?

Actually the correct phrase is "Allahu akbar" and it means that God is greater than all things. Your attempts to pervert it into something sinister are dismissed.

What would cause us to join one religion in their belief by replacing one noun that we understand quite well, Allah, with a less precise and potentially misunderstood noun, 'God'?

Clearly you don't understand the term "Allah," as you continue to demonstrate here.

The 'name' of the Hebrew and Christian 'God', received by Moses, is a verb form. It connotes a subtle, but important, nuance to 'Deity', unique to its time and to ours.

Oh, horseshit. The tetragrammaton would have translated to something along the lines of "He who gives life / He who causes to exist" etc. A pretty standard sentiment for deity identification across most religions. In any event, your claim is irrelevant, as it has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that "Allah" is an Arabic titular word for "God" and not a Muslim proper name for God.

Even as a person who considers himself a participant of no religion, I recognize this interesting and important distinction. The only reason to refute this that I can see is to insist there is no difference between religions, something that any real Moslem would dispute.
I have no political or ideological motive for these posts; they are for information. Those who are convinced one way or another will certainly not be converted by these contributions; those who are neutral will be informed and, if interested, will look into it for themselves and come to their own conclusions.
Personally, I don't care what you think.

For someone who doesn't care you sure are stubbornly determined to stick to horse shit. That's exactly what it is, absolute horseshit. Allah is not a proper name. It never was a proper name. It is titular. It means "God." Not a specific God. Which is why, as I said, Christians and Jews in the Arab world use the same term.

Forum List

Back