BREAKING: White Marine Vet To Be Charged In Death of Jordan Neely

Not according to reports, but waiting for the trial to get the evidence to be presented.
Ahh yes, the reports....

unfortunately no mention of any weapons other than flappy cooler lips and a sharp tongue.

But hey, what do I know? maybe the "weapon" is in white text so you can't see it?

Mr. Penny encountered Mr. Neely, 30, on a northbound F train on May 1 and held him in a chokehold for several minutes, killing him. Witnesses said that Mr. Neely, who had a history of mental illness, had been acting in a “hostile and erratic manner” toward other passengers, according to the police. But there is no indication that he physically attacked anyone before Mr. Penny began choking him.

Joshua Steinglass, the lead prosecutor, said in court that Mr. Neely had boarded the train at the Second Avenue station. “Several witnesses observed Mr. Neely making threats and scaring passengers,” Mr. Steinglass said.

You need to read this again. I bolded the most important part. Did you miss the DUTY TO RETREAT?

Article 35 of the New York Penal Law outlines when an individual is justified in using physical force in self-defense, or in the defense of others. Under the statute, a person can use the amount of physical force they reasonably believe is necessary to defend themselves or others from what they reasonably believe to be the illegal imminent use of force or the illegal use of force.
There are only certain circumstances under which a person can assert the justification of self-defense in cases involving deadly force. Since New York imposes a duty to retreat,
it is only permissible to use deadly physical force when there is no other option.
Situations where deadly force can be used in self-defense include circumstances involving:
Kidnapping
Forcible rape
Robbery
Arson
Burglary

They were trapped inside a moving subway car. And he was defending others...not himself. One that we know of was a 66 year old woman.

So I cannot see how a duty to reteat would apply. You can retreat from a personal confrontation...but you cannot personally retreat from the defense of others.

We have an eyewitness that states that the Penny had no interaction with Neely before subduing him...

The subway rider said Neely, who had a history of mental illness, was threatening passengers after he hopped on an F train in Manhattan.

“He said, ‘I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet, I’ll go to jail’ because he would kill people on the train,” the woman said of Neely. “He said, ‘I would kill a motherf—er. I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet. I’ll go to jail.’”

The retiree said Penny did not initially engage with Neely during the wild rant until things got out of hand and he felt the urge to step in.

They were trapped inside a moving subway car. And he was defending others...not himself. One that we know of was a 66 year old woman.

So I cannot see how a duty to reteat would apply. You can retreat from a personal confrontation...but you cannot personally retreat from the defense of others.

We have an eyewitness that states that the Penny had no interaction with Neely before subduing him...

The subway rider said Neely, who had a history of mental illness, was threatening passengers after he hopped on an F train in Manhattan.

“He said, ‘I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet, I’ll go to jail’ because he would kill people on the train,” the woman said of Neely. “He said, ‘I would kill a motherf—er. I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet. I’ll go to jail.’”

The retiree said Penny did not initially engage with Neely during the wild rant until things got out of hand and he felt the urge to step in.
so there is only 1 car on the train? Trapped?

Did you donate to the defense fund?

People look at me wrong all the time. I don't care.
I've been on subway trains when fights have broken out.

I lived in NYC when BErnie Getz shot those losers. I was upset at his actions because he did so on a train car with doors closed. He could've lured them out onto teh platform, and I would have been less upset. But he did bait them. I worked right around the corner from his apt building. He was nuts. I knew of him before the subway shooting incident.

• Informative
Reactions: iku
If the Marine was black would you have any screeching, whining narrative to press?
Yes, would. No man should be killed at the hands of another man for "running his flappy cooler lips and ranting like a lunatic"

Answer the question Hollie....

If the Marine was black, and the victim was white, would you have donated?

so there is only 1 car on the train? Trapped?

Did you donate to the defense fund?
I can't speak to New York Subways, as I haven't ridden one...but I have experience with DC's subway...and they don't allow passengers to travel between cars while the subway is in motion.

That said...it is irrelevant unless everyone left...which they didn't...and likely couldn't.

Absolutely I did donate.

Why do you ask?

I can't speak to New York Subways, as I haven't ridden one...but I have experience with DC's subway...and they don't allow passengers to travel between cars while the subway is in motion.

That said...it is irrelevant unless everyone left...which they didn't...and likely couldn't.

Absolutely I did donate.

Why do you ask?
I asked because I want to know if the Marine Vet was black and the victim was white, would you donate?

Absolutely I did donate.

Why do you ask?
obviously everyone didn't leave. A man was murdered by another man and had assistants as well

True...but that's still not lethal force.

The military still uses chokeholds...trains on them...and no one dies.

Watch...

Yet, no one died.

sounds like this guy didn't do good in the training program we got a dead man

that is a great story and if you believe it, good for you.

Lethal
sufficient to cause death.

Do you acknowledge a man is dead from this
"non lethal" :rolleyes: chokehold?

I asked because I want to know if the Marine Vet was black and the victim was white, would you donate?

If I was made aware of it...without a doubt.

But I seriously doubt that... a) in that situation there would have been an arrest, because this seems open an shut justified... and b) that it would have made national headline news.

But, to answer your question fully...I would absolutely donate.

I'd feel bad for this hypothetical white guy, just like I feel sympathy for Jordan Neely. He had a rough go.

But you can't go around menacing and threatening innocent people. They have a right to feel safe from unprovoked threats of violence.

I agree in part with those who contend that the system failed Jordan Neely...but I'm also not a big fan of involuntarily locking people away due to mental illness.

So, what do you do?

If I was made aware of it...without a doubt.

But I seriously doubt that... a) in that situation there would have been an arrest, because this seems open an shut justified... and b) that it would have made national headline news.

But, to answer your question fully...I would absolutely donate.

I'd feel bad for this hypothetical white guy, just like I feel sympathy for Jordan Neely. He had a rough go.

But you can't go around menacing and threatening innocent people. They have a right to feel safe from unprovoked threats of violence.

I agree in part with those who contend that the system failed Jordan Neely...but I'm also not a big fan of involuntarily locking people away due to mental illness.

So, what do you do?
Your posts convey ZERO sympathy for the dead man.
There is no way to buy yourself out of white guilt.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree Sgt. Bill.

But if justice prevails, you're going to be very disappointed.
hey, I will accept the verdict either way.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back