Brothers Kicked Off HGTV Channel Over Anti-Gay Remarks.

so lets put this in perspective shall we???? You can fire or Not hire a person for being a Christian who doesn't believe the homosexual lifestyle is right but you cant use someones sexual preference as a decision in hiring or firing someone????

Yep the left are fucking hypocrites.

i want to know this:

why do conservatives or republicans care?

this is a private company making a private decision. if a company creates a bad product, guess what, no one will buy it. this is purely a business decision based upon the current market. if the market was against gays, then guess what, HGTV would be all for it.

i fail to see why anyone has an issue with a company making a decision like this. it is not the government, it is the market making a decision. and cons and pubs are pro market.

i just don't get the opposition to this

Where were all these free speech advocates ten years ago when the Dixie Chicks took the heat?

They didnt lose Jobs or even their recording label...They just lost fans. Now go find something that is relevant to the discussion.

They lost airplay. And not elective airplay but airplay they already had. It was removed.

Thanks for playin'.
Bullshit. Prove that. Because I listen to country music and they NEVER lost air time. They just truthfully suck.

i want to know this:

this is a private company making a private decision. if a company creates a bad product, guess what, no one will buy it. this is purely a business decision based upon the current market. if the market was against gays, then guess what, HGTV would be all for it.

i fail to see why anyone has an issue with a company making a decision like this. it is not the government, it is the market making a decision. and cons and pubs are pro market.

So HGTV should be able to fire someone that comes out of the closet as being Gay and you would be okay with it?

They didnt lose Jobs or even their recording label...They just lost fans. Now go find something that is relevant to the discussion.

They lost airplay. And not elective airplay but airplay they already had. It was removed.

Thanks for playin'.
Bullshit. Prove that. Because I listen to country music and they NEVER lost air time. They just truthfully suck.

Sigh...

>> Despite numerous clarifications and apologies from Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks, a full on boycott of their music was called for by pro-Bush, pro-war, and pro-American groups. Their single “Landslide” went from #10 on the Billboard charts, to #44 in 1 week, and the next week fell off the charts completely. Radio stations who played any Dixie Chicks songs were immediately bombarded with phone calls and emails blasting the station and threats of boycotts if they continued. Even radio DJ’s and programmers who sympathized with the Dixie Chicks were forced to stop playing them from the simple logistics nightmare the boycott created. Some DJ’s who played the Dixie Chicks were fired.

Dixie Chicks CD’s were rounded up, and in one famous incident were run over by a bulldozer. Concerts were canceled in the US as the Dixie Chicks couldn’t sell tickets, and rival concerts were set up that would take Dixie Chicks tickets in exchange. The Dixie Chicks lost their sponsor Lipton, and The Red Cross denied a million dollar endorsement from the band, fearing it would draw the ire of the boycott. The Dixie Chicks also received hundreds of death threats from the incident.

.... Reflecting back on the Dixie Chicks and the public fallout, it is hard to not see that the country music community’s reaction was unmeasured, unfair, and overall, unhealthy for its future. Country music not only black balled a band that was offering sonic leadership to the genre on how to move forward while still respecting the roots of the music and remaining commercially viable, they lost one of the genre’s greatest economic engines, and may have long-term fumbled their ability to benefit from the universally-relevant appeal of acoustic roots music.

But most unfortunately, the event leaves country music with a black eye as a genre who can&#8217;t respect artists regardless of their beliefs. This typecasting of the country music fan as a closed-minded, politically-intolerant animal is a legacy it will take country music a long time to shake. Much longer than 10 years. <<

Btw as a music freak I wouldn't call what the DC do "country"; I'd call it bluegrass. What's the difference? You have to be a musician to play bluegrass.

Last edited:
i want to know this:

So HGTV should be able to fire someone that comes out of the closet as being Gay and you would be okay with it?

We're not HGTV and we're not Scripps. Therefore it's not our decision.

:banghead:

Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

Benham brothers lose HGTV show after 'anti-gay' remarks - CNN.com

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

I watch it all the time. I thought you were talking about the Property Brothers, They've had lesbian/gay couples on their show a lot.
I watch the Property Brothers, too. HGTV has been very open-minded in their programming, with very entertaining shows.

Thanks for playin'.

Sigh...

>> Despite numerous clarifications and apologies from Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks, a full on boycott of their music was called for by pro-Bush, pro-war, and pro-American groups. Their single “Landslide” went from #10 on the Billboard charts, to #44 in 1 week, and the next week fell off the charts completely. Radio stations who played any Dixie Chicks songs were immediately bombarded with phone calls and emails blasting the station and threats of boycotts if they continued. Even radio DJ’s and programmers who sympathized with the Dixie Chicks were forced to stop playing them from the simple logistics nightmare the boycott created. Some DJ’s who played the Dixie Chicks were fired.

Dixie Chicks CD’s were rounded up, and in one famous incident were run over by a bulldozer. Concerts were canceled in the US as the Dixie Chicks couldn’t sell tickets, and rival concerts were set up that would take Dixie Chicks tickets in exchange. The Dixie Chicks lost their sponsor Lipton, and The Red Cross denied a million dollar endorsement from the band, fearing it would draw the ire of the boycott. The Dixie Chicks also received hundreds of death threats from the incident.

.... Reflecting back on the Dixie Chicks and the public fallout, it is hard to not see that the country music community’s reaction was unmeasured, unfair, and overall, unhealthy for its future. Country music not only black balled a band that was offering sonic leadership to the genre on how to move forward while still respecting the roots of the music and remaining commercially viable, they lost one of the genre’s greatest economic engines, and may have long-term fumbled their ability to benefit from the universally-relevant appeal of acoustic roots music.

But most unfortunately, the event leaves country music with a black eye as a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs. This typecasting of the country music fan as a closed-minded, politically-intolerant animal is a legacy it will take country music a long time to shake. Much longer than 10 years. <<
now something not a opinion blog.

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

I watch it all the time. I thought you were talking about the Property Brothers, They've had lesbian/gay couples on their show a lot.
I watch the Property Brothers, too. HGTV has been very open-minded in their programming, with very entertaining shows.

apparently they are not. They dont seem to like Christians who are open about it.

Yes, because supporting traditional marriage is suddenly considered bad press by the entertainment industry.

The word is 'HATE'. The truth is that if people were comfortable in their own sexuality we wouldn't be discussing this.
LOL. So Obama and all the top Democrats that supported traditional marriage until VERY recently were haters? And you bought it.

That's what always cracks me up. These leftist loons apparently viewed Obama as a "hater" just a few years ago ! Yeah right ! :lol:

i want to know this:

I'm not opposed to it. As I mentioned earlier, HGTV has more than likely weighed the options, and taken the road that they feel will harm them the least.

I am though getting disgusted with the idea that simply because you are against gay marriage you're suddenly branded as a fucking monster.

Pretty soon, if you're not for gay marriage they'll want to tar and feather you and ride you out of town on a rail. It's just like the red scare in the 50's.

Sigh...

But most unfortunately, the event leaves country music with a black eye as a genre who can’t respect artists regardless of their beliefs. This typecasting of the country music fan as a closed-minded, politically-intolerant animal is a legacy it will take country music a long time to shake. Much longer than 10 years. <<
now something not a opinion blog.

Jesus Christ on a cracker, helpless asshole....

>> After Ms. Maines's anti-Bush remark, songs from the album "Home" virtually disappeared from American airwaves within days, and their No. 1 country single, "Travelin' Soldier," soon plummeted to No. 63. << -- NYTimes

>> Airplay for Travelin' Soldier, which had hit No. 1 the previous week, dropped 15% last week. Nearly all the decline came late in the week after reports that Maines told a London concert audience, "We're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

"Airplay for the Chicks did start to erode on Friday," says Wade Jessen, Billboard's country chart editor.

.... According to the R&R Hot Fax Country Update news sheet Tuesday, Cumulus Media has instructed all 42 of its country stations to stop playing the group's music until further notice. -- USA Today

>> LOS ANGELES, March 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Mediabase 24/7, an airplay
monitoring firm, confirms that the remarks made by Natalie Maines of the Dixie
Chicks have had a negative impact on radio airplay. Overall, the Dixie
Chicks' airplay in the top 140 U.S. markets declined 20 percent over the seven
day period after her remarks, as compared to the seven day period prior to her
remarks. << -- PR Newswire

This one's got some extra-interesting notes:

>> Songs of the top-selling American country band Dixie Chicks have been banned on country radio stations, and ticket sales are reportedly way off in southern US cities after they recorded a new single called ‘Not Ready To Make Nice’, and named their new tour ‘Accidents and Accusations’

According to the music magazine Billboard, Dixie Chicks’ new album ‘Taking the Long Way’ was the No. 1 best-selling album in the United States in the middle of June. However, Dixie Chick’s live show in Memphis has been pulled off the route and the status of the shows in Indianapolis, Houston and Oklahoma City is uncertain.
The music industry magazine Pollstar reports that the shows in Republican states such as Oklahoma and Tennessee have been dropped.

... What followed was a backlash by many radio stations as they banned Dixie Chick music, with a subsequent drop in sales of their CDs. Cumulus Broadcasting explicitly banned the group’s music from its 262 radio stations, including more than 40 country radio stations, and hosted a CD-smashing ceremony outside its Atlanta headquarters during which bulldozers crushed the group’s CDs.

Some Clear Channel radio stations temporarily suspended airplay of the album, and Natalie Maines and the band received death threats. Owning over 1,220 radio stations and 39 tv stations, the solidly conservative Clear Channel were reported to have an overall strategy to bolster support for Bush Administration policies.
Among the Texas-based media behemoth’s actions, the Institute for Southern Studies (southernstudies.org) mentions:

• In March 2003, Clear Channel affiliates organized pro-war rallies across the country, under the name Rally for America, which coincided with the launch of the Iraq war. Clear Channel denied sponsoring the rallies, yet “they were promoted repeatedly by the company’s widely syndicated radio personality Glenn Beck.”

The censorship was so egregious that Senator John McCain (R-AZ) was moved to chastise Cumulus Broadcasting chair Lewis Dicky [sic]:
“It’s a strong argument about what media concentration has the possibility of doing,” McCain told Cumulus Chairman Lewis W. Dickey Jr., according to the Los Angeles Times.
“If someone else offends you, and you decide to censor those people, my friend, the erosion of our First Amendment is in progress.”

At the time when this happened, in March 2003, their song ‘Travelin’ Soldier’ was no 1 on the country chart, and its abrubt disappearence from the airwaves became the most debated example of music censorship in the US in modern times.
Now the pattern appears to repeat itself. << -- Freemuse World Forum on Music and Censorship

Some "country music fan". You must have been listening to Megadeth at the time.

Hardly extremists, and not anti-gay. They don't have an issue with the gay community, they are against the agenda.
Just like the agenda that got them fired because they are against the agenda of the gays, which wants to silence other views than their own.

This is a private company that allowed itself to be bullied into making a decision based on the bully's demands. The gay activists have got thousands of would be victims. One bragged that they have 35,000 individuals to attack based on donations to the prop 8 campaign alone. What there has to be is a backlash of major proportions. Not boycotting HG TV but finding a gay and doing the same thing to them. Start with creating an outcry over the gay child molesters in Hollywood.

BENHAM-BROTHERS-02.jpg

David and Jason Benham respond to HGTV decision to cancel their show | Inside TV | EW.com

&#8220;We were saddened to hear HGTV&#8217;s decision,&#8221; the pair said in a statement. &#8220;With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it.&#8221;

However, the twins did say the following, on tape.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/showbiz/tv/benham-brothers-hgtv/

Last edited:

apparently they are not. They dont seem to like Christians who are open about it.

The Property Brothers don't go around spouting hatred either. They do their show and stay out of that crap.

Plus they could kick those redneck asshole bigots Benham asses all day long.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

[MENTION=2364]avatar[/MENTION]

Oh please.

That's not "faith". Its hate and its stupid.

And no one is losing a home.

Always with the victim drama. Grow up and take responsibility for your words and actions.

Sheesh.

Forum List

Back