Brothers Kicked Off HGTV Channel Over Anti-Gay Remarks.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

I'm sure that they will be replaced by someone that will do the same as they did who will not break their morals clause.

"Morals clause" ? I don't get it. How does HGTV have a morals clause here ?

A morality clause is SOP for such a TV show. We did all this with the Duck Dynasty thing.
A morals clause basically says Artist can't engage in any behaviour that will embarrass the Producer. They all work under it.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

In the video, right at the beginning, one brother says:
"I heard you say that we said that our faith is what cost us the show-- that's just not the truth, HG never said that."

Last edited:

I'm sure that they will be replaced by someone that will do the same as they did who will not break their morals clause.

"Morals clause" ? I don't get it. How does HGTV have a morals clause here ?

It's more than HGTV, it's their owner Scripps Networks.

The Law firm that I hire has an entertainment division. I asked one of the entertainment lawyers about morals clause. She told me they've been in contracts for decades. The most recent/famous case was Charley Sheen and the Angus kid on Two and a half Men. DON'T BRING BAD PRESS TO THE SHOW OR THE NETWORK!!!!!!!

Where were all these free speech advocates ten years ago when the Dixie Chicks took the heat?

I didn't agree with them but I wouldn't have clapped my hands if they had been fired over their personal beliefs. That's the point. I don't believe they were fired but I don't believe that many Americans boycotted them.

Artists aren't "fired", unless you mean dropped from a recording or performing contract. The boycott was on the part of radio stations deleting them from their playlists for political reasons, and without airplay you didn't sell records. Now, nobody owes any artist airplay, but these were records that were already on those playlists, and then deleted. This was a case of people being pressured, and even fired, for playing their records -- for political reasons.

And not even strictly for a political reason; the offending comment was that they were ashamed that George Bush was from their state, which is nothing but a personal sentiment.

It may have worked except for their (Dixie Chicks) Grammy and record sales. OOPS!

Writing of shameful, didn't Texas elect a Canadian to represent them in Congress but they're down on Shania Twain?

Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

Benham brothers lose HGTV show after 'anti-gay' remarks - CNN.com

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

HGTV is owned by E. W. Scripps, but many of their producers and show runners are deeply religious, especially on House Hunters. Yet, HH often has gay couples. HGTV knows their primary viewers are women and gay men, educated and with above average income. They know who feeds them and have the intelligence to not let personal beliefs get in their way.

The Benham's? Glad they got their say. Sucks when you gotta hide behind the first amendment to defend your own bigotry, huh boys?

Here's one of them:

But don't worry...looks like you guys have a new hero(es). Until, of course, they turn out racist.

Ex-HGTV hosts: 'If our faith costs us a TV show, so be it' | Fox News

And let's be thankful they're not as bad as their dad, who blamed 9/11 on abortion.

Yup. He did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

They should follow Pat Robertson's lead and start their own broadcasting company. They could call it the "Anti-abomination Channel".

Last edited:
The bro's are playing the game, just like the Duck Dynasty leader...

DON'T BRING BAD PRESS TO THE SHOW OR THE NETWORK!!!!!!!
Yes, because supporting traditional marriage is suddenly considered bad press by the entertainment industry.

The word is 'HATE'. The truth is that if people were comfortable in their own sexuality we wouldn't be discussing this.
LOL. So Obama and all the top Democrats that supported traditional marriage until VERY recently were haters? And you bought it.

They should follow Pat Robertson's lead and start their own broadcasting company. They could call it the "Anti-abomination Channel".

Or, 'The Make Pat Robertson Rich Channel.' God will thank you for that!

Or, 'Don't Get a Fucking Life Channel, Pat Robertson Needs The Money'.

jason-benham.jpg

When I saw this picture I thought it was about two gays not allowed to get married.

Forum List

Back