Brothers Kicked Off HGTV Channel Over Anti-Gay Remarks.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

how is this political persecution? this is a private company making a business decision. if you're a public figure and you make certain statements, those statements will carry more consequences than if you're a private figure.

this is not persecution in the slightest avatar. i respect you, but i disgree with you here.

You claim it's a business decision. Yeah ? HOW ?

they are a business....they made a decision about their business and profits....in the business world this is known as a business decision

Where were all these free speech advocates ten years ago when the Dixie Chicks took the heat?

I didn't agree with them but I wouldn't have clapped my hands if they had been fired over their personal beliefs. That's the point. I don't believe they were fired but I don't believe that many Americans boycotted them.

so people should not be allowed to not air a show just because the people on the show are against homosexuality?

If those brothers were muslim they'd be even more anti-homo and they'd still have their show.

The thing is though, you really can't blame HGTV. They know they would face product boycotts, and the left would go after them and label the entire network homophobic.
In this new era of McCarthyism, just chalk it up as par for the course.

I still haven't seen one shred of evidence of potential boycotts, or any adverse effects of being called homophobic. I'd guess being called homophobic might actually make the network more popular. I'm not buying the business decision thing. My guess is HGTV has a few queers in the executive ranks, and they're just throwing their weight around.

I don't agree with you at all. The left and gay activists would likely go after them, and HGTV is weighing the potential damage and figuring the least damage is to dump the show.
Our side never organizes like the leftist fanatics do.

Take a look over at whats going on at the Beverly Hills Hotel right now.
LGBT groups are going after the hotel with a vengeance. Of course these brothers are not exactly calling for Sharia like the owners of the hotel are, but you get the picture.

If those brothers were muslim they'd be even more anti-homo and they'd still have their show.

The thing is though, you really can't blame HGTV. They know they would face product boycotts, and the left would go after them and label the entire network homophobic.

I still haven't seen one shred of evidence of potential boycotts, or any adverse effects of being called homophobic. I'd guess being called homophobic might actually make the network more popular. I'm not buying the business decision thing. My guess is HGTV has a few queers in the executive ranks, and they're just throwing their weight around.

I don't agree with you at all. The left and gay activists would likely go after them, and HGTV is weighing the potential damage and figuring the least damage is to dump the show.

LGBT groups are going after the hotel with a vengeance. Of course these brothers are not exactly calling for Sharia like the owners of the hotel are, but you get the picture.

why do you not organize? it is the free market of ideas.....

Where were all these free speech advocates ten years ago when the Dixie Chicks took the heat?

This particular story, as with the Dixie Chicks, is not a free speech issue.
It's a business decision. I don't agree with them but it't private enterprise.

why do you not organize? it is the free market of ideas.....

We should organize, we're getting to the point we will have to just to survive. We're not good at it though, because we were used to being the "silent majority", that frankly didn't have to do anything but live our lives and we got our way because we outnumbered everyone else overwhelmingly.
Obviously that's not the case now, so we need to start getting vocal more and more.

how is this political persecution? this is a private company making a business decision. if you're a public figure and you make certain statements, those statements will carry more consequences than if you're a private figure.

this is not persecution in the slightest avatar. i respect you, but i disgree with you here.

You claim it's a business decision. Yeah ? HOW ?

they are a business....they made a decision about their business and profits....in the business world this is known as a business decision

Question was >> HOW ? When you're ready to answer it, let me know.

No one tried to stop what they said, they were free to express their opinion and people were free to react to their words.

One guy said something, and the network reacted to the words he spoke. Now, others have the freedom to react to the network for what choice they made.

See freedom has responsibility.

What is sad is the families that will lose out on a new home because of political persecution of someone expressing their faith.

I'm sure that they will be replaced by someone that will do the same as they did who will not break their morals clause.

I just don't see any evidence that there is any real monetary threat. Muslim goons went after radio talk show host Michael Savage with a boycott, and his sponsors' sales skyrocketed (as did Savage's ratings)

Twin brothers David and Jason Benham have lost their opportunity to host their own HGTV show.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

Oh well, one more TV channel deleted from my FAVORITES LIST. Looks like free speech really has been taking a beating in the private enterprise world lately. Hopefully, HGTV will reconsider this ridiculous action and bring the show back on. Or some other network will air it.

As the brothers themselves said >> "With all of the grotesque things that can be seen and heard on television today you would think there would be room for two twin brothers who are faithful to our families, committed to biblical principles, and dedicated professionals. If our faith costs us a television show then so be it."

Benham brothers lose HGTV show after 'anti-gay' remarks - CNN.com

Screw HGTV. I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future. I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

' I don't believe I ever watched anything on that channel but I'll to it that I won't support them in the future.'

Anyone else see a problem in that sentence?

I don't believe in firing folks just because they don't share an opinion.

Since you don't operate a TV network you don't have too.

I just don't see any evidence that there is any real monetary threat. Muslim goons went after radio talk show host Michael Savage with a boycott, and his sponsors' sales skyrocketed (as did Savage's ratings)

Well I don't anything about Muslims that have went after Savage, but my understanding the main reason Savage's ratings have went off the charts, is because he took over all of Sean Hannity's Cumulus radio stations.

Well I don't anything about Muslims that have went after Savage, but my understanding the main reason Savage's ratings have went off the charts, is because he took over all of Sean Hannity's Cumulus radio stations.

Trust me. What I said about the Savage boycott is true. CAIR has never been the same since. HA HA. I love it.:badgrin:

I didn't agree with them but I wouldn't have clapped my hands if they had been fired over their personal beliefs. That's the point. I don't believe they were fired but I don't believe that many Americans boycotted them.

Artists aren't "fired", unless you mean dropped from a recording or performing contract. The boycott was on the part of radio stations deleting them from their playlists for political reasons, and without airplay you didn't sell records. Now, nobody owes any artist airplay, but these were records that were already on those playlists, and then deleted. This was a case of people being pressured, and even fired, for playing their records -- for political reasons.

And not even strictly for a political reason; the offending comment was that they were ashamed that George Bush was from their state, which is nothing but a personal sentiment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back