Buddhism: the religion of peace

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Well, much of the time, anyway. Unfortunately in Sri Lanka they have other priorities, such as becoming the new Israel.

The hardline Buddhists targeting Sri Lanka's Muslims

After a series of attacks on mosques, wild rumours about animal slaughter and an attempt to outlaw the halal system of classification, the BBC's Charles Haviland investigates how Sri Lanka's Muslim minority is being targeted by hardline Buddhists.

On a January morning a crowd of Buddhist monks storm a law college, yelling, chanting and even hitting one or two seemingly random people and pushing back the police. Furiously they shout that the exam results have been distorted to favour Muslims.

BBC News - The hardline Buddhists targeting Sri Lanka's Muslims

The Buddha said, "Live harmlessly, and kill nothing". People who do anything different are not real Buddhists.

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him” , that is a rather ODD admonition by Buddhists, they say they are nonviolent pacifists (?) In Myanmar, they don’t mind being violent and killing maiming and burning down homes and mosques of Muslims… Islam, Judaism and Christianity have such admonitions. Islam, they are against suicide, yet all these hopeless theists strap bombs on themselves or crash airplanes and kill numerous innocent people. Which breaks yet another of their religious beliefs. So, were does all this crud get us?

Last edited:
Buddhism isn’t a religion, it’s a form of philosophy, BTW. But it isn’t much different than believing in a Vampire Easter bunny, Jesus or Allah, but it has been around awhile. Longer that Islam or Christianity, but just as silly. With all due respect .

People are people. Buddhists are no different.

I totally agree.

But it's a timely reminder, I think. We usually think of Buddhists as being so peaceful and tolerance [sic] - but clearly they can be as ignorant as anyone else.

We usually think of nouns and adjectives as being distinct, but some people cannot distinguish one from another.

Buddhism isn’t a religion, it’s a form of philosophy, BTW. ..

Some people in 'da West' like to think so. That's why so many shallow westerners feel comfortable playing at it when they have rejected their own Judeo-Christian heritage but still yearn to fulfill a need they can't identify. The philosophical aspects of any religion can be studied in their own right, but Buddhism is a religion and its study, even by non-believers, is rightly understood as theology.

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him” , that is a rather ODD admonition by Buddhists, they say they are nonviolent pacifists (?)

LOL. Perhaps you don't understand what that is supposed to mean...

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him” , that is a rather ODD admonition by Buddhists, they say they are nonviolent pacifists (?)

Your attitude is one of superiority, as if you know what it means. Do you? I hope you do. Tell us. LOL? That is such a petty remark, how old are you? Spare me, I don’t care.

It actually comes from an old koan attributed to Zen Master Linji, (the founder of the Rinzai sect). It’s a simple one:

“If you meet the Buddha, kill him.” — Linji

I’m sure you already realize that it’s not being literal. The road, the killing, and even the Buddha are symbolic.

The road is generally taken to mean the path to Enlightenment; that might be through meditation, study, prayer, or just some aspect of your way of life. Your life is your ‚Äúroad.‚Äù That’s fairly straightforward as far as metaphors go.

But how do you meet the Buddha on this “road?” Imagine meeting some symbolic Buddha. Would he be a great teacher that you might actually meet and follow in the real world? Could that Buddha be you yourself, having reached Enlightenment? Or maybe you have some idealized image of perfection that equates to your concept of the Buddha or Enlightenment.

Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Most people have heard the first chapter of the Tao, “The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.” (So if you think you see the real Tao, kill it and move on).

If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him « Daily Buddhism

Your attitude is one of superiority, as if you know what it means. Do you? I hope you do. Tell us. LOL? That is such a petty remark, how old are you? Spare me, I don’t care.

It actually comes from an old koan attributed to Zen Master Linji, (the founder of the Rinzai sect). It’s a simple one:

I’m sure you already realize that it’s not being literal. The road, the killing, and even the Buddha are symbolic.

The road is generally taken to mean the path to Enlightenment; that might be through meditation, study, prayer, or just some aspect of your way of life. Your life is your ‚Äúroad.‚Äù That’s fairly straightforward as far as metaphors go.

But how do you meet the Buddha on this “road?” Imagine meeting some symbolic Buddha. Would he be a great teacher that you might actually meet and follow in the real world? Could that Buddha be you yourself, having reached Enlightenment? Or maybe you have some idealized image of perfection that equates to your concept of the Buddha or Enlightenment.

Whatever your conception is of the Buddha, it’s WRONG! Now kill that image and keep practicing. This all has to do with the idea that reality is an impermanent illusion. If you believe that you have a correct image of what it means to be Enlightened, then you need to throw out (kill) that image and keep meditating.

Most people have heard the first chapter of the Tao, “The Tao that can be named is not the eternal Tao.” (So if you think you see the real Tao, kill it and move on).

Thank you for that, I am having a problem here with Buddhism because of ...reincarnation, I can't get past that anymore than I can believe in Jesus resurrection or any form of immortality.

Thank you for that, I am having a problem here with Buddhism because of ...reincarnation, I can't get past that anymore than I can believe in Jesus resurrection or any form of immortality.

Your Welcome :cool:

You are the Buddha .

It has nothing to do with literally, physically killing anyone - including yourself.

I see someone has already pointed you toward an explanation.

Last edited:
Well, much of the time, anyway. Unfortunately in Sri Lanka they have other priorities, such as becoming the new Israel.

The hardline Buddhists targeting Sri Lanka's Muslims

After a series of attacks on mosques, wild rumours about animal slaughter and an attempt to outlaw the halal system of classification, the BBC's Charles Haviland investigates how Sri Lanka's Muslim minority is being targeted by hardline Buddhists.

On a January morning a crowd of Buddhist monks storm a law college, yelling, chanting and even hitting one or two seemingly random people and pushing back the police. Furiously they shout that the exam results have been distorted to favour Muslims.

BBC News - The hardline Buddhists targeting Sri Lanka's Muslims

WOW

Just how evil are muslims that they actually drive buddist monks to assault?

That, and that alone, should make it more than clear to the whole world that islam is a fucked up religion.

Forum List

Back