Buddhist Teachings You Don't Understand.

Folks, just a reminder - this thread is in Zone 2, so posts must include content related to the topic. Thanks :)

What do Buddhists believe/what does Buddhism teach about drugs and alcohol?
There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?
No teachings on the weather. I think you're pulling my leg.

Some great Buddhist masters are reknown for their ability to affect the weather through positive intention, prayer and meditation.

Hi Dhara :)

Hope your day is going good today.

Wow, that's very interesting to learn that Buddhism teaches that man and woman can rise to be able to control the weather.

Changing subjects, did the Buddha teach anything specific about women? I mean did the Buddha teach anything specific about women in general (not about women specifically controlling weather.)

You think I'm pulling your leg how? :)
The Buddha didn't teach that men and women can rise to be able to control the weather, per se. Those kinds of abilities are "side effects" of enlightenment, not what enlightenment itself actually is, nor the extraordinary abilities that come naturally with it. It's more that compassion arises naturally and with that the strong intent to benefit others.

The Buddha tried to change the culture of India of his time, with treating untouchables and women equally, but he was not able to accomplish that.

Some Buddhist sects are still discriminatory toward women, even to the point of claiming enlightenment is impossible in a female body.

I hope that helps.

Dhara

Thank you, Dhara...Yes that did help. :)

What would the Buddha say if a country is experiencing a lot of severe weather?

And why do those meathead sects (haha) say that a female cannot experience enlightenment?

There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?

Some great Buddhist masters are reknown for their ability to affect the weather through positive intention, prayer and meditation.

Wow, that's very interesting to learn that Buddhism teaches that man and woman can rise to be able to control the weather.

Changing subjects, did the Buddha teach anything specific about women? I mean did the Buddha teach anything specific about women in general (not about women specifically controlling weather.)

The Buddha didn't teach that men and women can rise to be able to control the weather, per se. Those kinds of abilities are "side effects" of enlightenment, not what enlightenment itself actually is, nor the extraordinary abilities that come naturally with it. It's more that compassion arises naturally and with that the strong intent to benefit others.

The Buddha tried to change the culture of India of his time, with treating untouchables and women equally, but he was not able to accomplish that.

Some Buddhist sects are still discriminatory toward women, even to the point of claiming enlightenment is impossible in a female body.

I hope that helps.

Dhara

And why do those meathead sects (haha) say that a female cannot experience enlightenment?

I don't know what a Buddha would say. I'm not a Buddha. What I would say based on my limited understanding of karma is that severe weather is the result of multiple "causes and conditions".

I think the idea of a woman not being able to be enlightened in a female body is a result of the culture of patriarchy that exists in countries like India, who were Hindu countries at the time of the Buddha.

It's an old holdover, and in some sects, a nun must bow to the superiority of a monk.

I hope that helps.

Dhara

I don't know what a Buddha would say. I'm not a Buddha. What I would say based on my limited understanding of karma is that severe weather is the result of multiple "causes and conditions".

I think the idea of a woman not being able to be enlightened in a female body is a result of the culture of patriarchy that exists in countries like India, who were Hindu countries at the time of the Buddha.

It's an old holdover, and in some sects, a nun must bow to the superiority of a monk.

Sound like meatheads to me haha. (Please don't be offended)

I hope that helps.

Dhara

Sound like meatheads to me haha. (Please don't be offended)
No offense taken. In my sangha, women are equal to men and quite a few them are truly accomplished meditators and Dharma teachers in their own right.

If it weren't for Karma, My Name is Earl would not have been conceived.

Sure, popular culture says karma means one thing, Buddhism teaches another. It's all good.

The notion of Karma is just a feel-good excuse for quantifying and justifying the Buddhist belief system. The same holds true for birth in another realm.

Buddhism is nothing special, and neither are you. You're just like the rest of us who merely think that we have answers when after all we ascribe to beliefs and practices that do nothing but validate our ignorance.

What's this Buddhist nature that I was hearing about? You know Dhara, I've told you before that I've always had a lot of respect for the Buddhists.

Myself, I'm ex-Roman Catholic now confirmed Orthodox Christian.

Sure, popular culture says karma means one thing, Buddhism teaches another. It's all good.

The notion of Karma is just a feel-good excuse for quantifying and justifying the Buddhist belief system. The same holds true for birth in another realm.

Buddhism is nothing special, and neither are you. You're just like the rest of us who merely think that we have answers when after all we ascribe to beliefs and practices that do nothing but validate our ignorance.

What's this Buddhist nature that I was hearing about? You know Dhara, I've told you before that I've always had a lot of respect for the Buddhists.

What is "Budda nature"? It's a great question. What it means, (and this is different from what you may have learned as an Roman Catholic), is that we all have the potential to awaken to Buddhahood. That means we have "original purity", rather than, "original sin".

All of us. Each and every sentient being without exception has the potential to awaken to Buddhahood.

What is "Budda nature"? It's a great question. What it means, (and this is different from what you may have learned as an Roman Catholic), is that we all have the potential to awaken to Buddhahood. That means we have "original purity", rather than, "original sin".

All of us. Each and every sentient being without exception has the potential to awaken to Buddhahood.

That's being positive as opposed to being negative, I have struggled with the whole concept of Original Sin.

That's being positive as opposed to being negative, I have struggled with the whole concept of Original Sin.

Me too. Which is why I changed religions. I mean that wasn't the ONLY reason, but it didn't make sense to me either.

Me too. Which is why I changed religions. I mean that wasn't the ONLY reason, but it didn't make sense to me either.

Well my family have been Roman Catholic since the 5th Century, during Pope Celestine I.

It's complicated, I'm not the only member of my family who's now been confirmed Orthodox Christian, we left the Roman Church because of Francis, who we consider a Heretic, simply by many of the things Francis has publicly said and also published in written word.

The Eastern Orthodox Church, officially it's called The Orthodox Catholic Church, it split from the Latin Church in 1054 in what's referred to as the East-West Schism or just The Great Schism of 1054.

So we left the Roman Church and became confirmed Orthodox Christian, which is almost still like being a Roman Catholic but minus much of the dogma.

Also Pope Saint Celestine I, as well as being revered as a Saint by the Roman Church, he's also revered as a Saint by the Eastern Orthodox Church, the latter his Feast Day is April 8th.

Sorry, I'm mega off topic here....what I'm attempting to explain, is you said you changed religions, so I'm explaining why I feel myself and members of my family have sort of changed religions, but to a religion that's originally linked to the other religion, but minus much of the dogma.

Might be a good question...what did the Buddha teach about sex?

Well my family have been Roman Catholic since the 5th Century, during Pope Celestine I.

It's complicated, I'm not the only member of my family who's now been confirmed Orthodox Christian, we left the Roman Church because of Francis, who we consider a Heretic, simply by many of the things Francis has publicly said and also published in written word.

The Eastern Orthodox Church, officially it's called The Orthodox Catholic Church, it split from the Latin Church in 1054 in what's referred to as the East-West Schism or just The Great Schism of 1054.

So we left the Roman Church and became confirmed Orthodox Christian, which is almost still like being a Roman Catholic but minus much of the dogma.

Also Pope Saint Celestine I, as well as being revered as a Saint by the Roman Church, he's also revered as a Saint by the Eastern Orthodox Church, the latter his Feast Day is April 8th.

Sorry, I'm mega off topic here....what I'm attempting to explain, is you said you changed religions, so I'm explaining why I feel myself and members of my family have sort of changed religions, but to a religion that's originally linked to the other religion, but minus much of the dogma.
Was it because Francis doesn't approve of Nazis? This is a serious question. Francis is closer to the teachings of Jesus than most and I believe that gives Austrians and Germans more introspection than they can handle.

i know a lot of rich assholes.....
What does that have to do with the topic?

Maybe strollingbones means, she's know a lot of rich assholes, who despite seemingly having everything, are still assholes and have no spirituality.
Or it's just some random weirdo comment...

Buddhists think we're all dead now and when we die we live, I think I'm correct about this?

Might be a good question...what did the Buddha teach about sex?

Do not mistreat your body. Learn to handle it with respect. Do not look on your body as only an instrument. Preserve vital energies (sexual, breath, spirit) for the realisation of the Way. (For brothers and sisters who are not monks and nuns:) Sexual expression should not take place without love and commitment. In sexual relations, be aware of future suffering that may be caused. To preserve the happiness of others, respect the rights and commitments of others. Be fully aware of the responsibility of bringing new lives into the world. Meditate on the world into which you are bringing new beings.

i know a lot of rich assholes.....
What does that have to do with the topic?

Maybe strollingbones means, she's know a lot of rich assholes, who despite seemingly having everything, are still assholes and have no spirituality.
Or it's just some random weirdo comment...

Buddhists think we're all dead now and when we die we live, I think I'm correct about this?
No, Lucy. You and I are very much alive. When we die, it's less certain where our karma may take us. Which of six realms.

Was it because Francis doesn't approve of Nazis? This is a serious question. Francis is closer to the teachings of Jesus than most and I believe that gives Austrians and Germans more introspection than they can handle.
Instead of implying that Lucy's objection to Pope Francis has to do with Nazi's why not ask her?

Lucy,

Are you willing to tell us your objections to Pope Francis?

Forum List

Back