Buddhist Teachings You Don't Understand.

Lucy,

Are you willing to tell us your objections to Pope Francis?

Yes it's simple, this is shared by other members of my family, who after more than one thousand years of our family being 100% Roman Catholic, felt the need to be confirmed Orthodox Christian.

The trouble began not too long after Francis became Pope and then escalated. The original trouble began, with the strange and sudden resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, the first time in 400 years a Pope has resigned, and the reasons were not fully stated, except for some vague reference to he felt "tired" and thus felt he wasn't up to the task of being Pope anymore.

We greatly loved Pope Benedict XVI, and my family is well acquainted with the Ratzinger's, especially his brother Georg, himself a Monsignor....anyhow suffice to say my family became acquainted with the Ratzinger's more than a hundred years ago, this through Georg Ratzinger, himself a priest, an economist and also a politician with the Zentrumspartei, the Centre Party, exclusively a Roman Catholic political party, he died I think in 1900....he would be Pope Benedict XVI and his siblings Grand Uncle.

So that's point one of this whole family drama with the Roman Church.

The next is Francis himself, whom we consider a Heretic, and this is the fundamental reason why we in numbers felt we had to leave the Roman Church. Francis has made comments such as Athiests can go to Heaven, The Bible is just a book, God couldn't work miracles and he made a strange reference to Jesus Christ having been some sort of failure.

These are Heretical statements, The Bible clearly states, that only those who have a belief in God have the opportunity once the soul is cleansed to go to Heaven, The Bible isn't just a book, it states numerous times that God performs miracles and no Jesus Christ wasn't a failure.

So, I hope this rather long set of comments clears up your question, it's long because I wanted to elaborate on this situation.

The probably most interesting Buddhist fact is, that the Buddha had past lives including being stones and being a few gods. This puts an important additional perspective on what is God. The basic problem statement of the Buddha is paramount though, which is how there is suffering and how we make it worse when we don't believe it.

Lucy,

Yes it's simple, this is shared by other members of my family, who after more than one thousand years of our family being 100% Roman Catholic, felt the need to be confirmed Orthodox Christian.

The trouble began not too long after Francis became Pope and then escalated. The original trouble began, with the strange and sudden resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, the first time in 400 years a Pope has resigned, and the reasons were not fully stated, except for some vague reference to he felt "tired" and thus felt he wasn't up to the task of being Pope anymore.

We greatly loved Pope Benedict XVI, and my family is well acquainted with the Ratzinger's, especially his brother Georg, himself a Monsignor....anyhow suffice to say my family became acquainted with the Ratzinger's more than a hundred years ago, this through Georg Ratzinger, himself a priest, an economist and also a politician with the Zentrumspartei, the Centre Party, exclusively a Roman Catholic political party, he died I think in 1900....he would be Pope Benedict XVI and his siblings Grand Uncle.

The next is Francis himself, whom we consider a Heretic, and this is the fundamental reason why we in numbers felt we had to leave the Roman Church. Francis has made comments such as Athiests can go to Heaven, The Bible is just a book, God couldn't work miracles and he made a strange reference to Jesus Christ having been some sort of failure.

These are Heretical statements, The Bible clearly states, that only those who have a belief in God have the opportunity once the soul is cleansed to go to Heaven, The Bible isn't just a book, it states numerous times that God performs miracles and no Jesus Christ wasn't a failure.

So, I hope this rather long set of comments clears up your question, it's long because I wanted to elaborate on this situation.
Jesus told Judas when he asked to join, that we know them by the their fruit. Pope Francis, countryman of the Catholic masquerading Jew Nancy Pelosi, has produced plenty of his fruit since his start in the Holy Sea. There has never been a pope like this, and causes wonder who and what put him there.

i know a lot of rich assholes.....
What does that have to do with the topic?

Maybe strollingbones means, she's know a lot of rich assholes, who despite seemingly having everything, are still assholes and have no spirituality.
Or it's just some random weirdo comment...

Buddhists think we're all dead now and when we die we live, I think I'm correct about this?
No, Lucy. You and I are very much alive. When we die, it's less certain where our karma may take us. Which of six realms.
This is VERY interesting. What are the six realms? And if I am the last one of my people alive, does my nation also enter a realm?

What does that have to do with the topic?

Maybe strollingbones means, she's know a lot of rich assholes, who despite seemingly having everything, are still assholes and have no spirituality.

Buddhists think we're all dead now and when we die we live, I think I'm correct about this?
No, Lucy. You and I are very much alive. When we die, it's less certain where our karma may take us. Which of six realms.
This is VERY interesting. What are the six realms? And if I am the last one of my people alive, does my nation also enter a realm?
The six realms include the hell realms, the hungry ghost, the jealous god and the other god realms, the animal realm, and the human realm.

The six realms include the hell realms, the hungry ghost, the jealous god and the other god realms, the animal realm, and the human realm.
Does time remain an effective quantity in all the realms? And if yes, how long do they last? I guess I can guess that the animal realm doesn't last long, because animals usually die early.

Does time remain an effective quantity in all the realms? And if yes, how long do they last? I guess I can guess that the animal realm doesn't last long, because animals usually die early.
I don't know. We talk about time as past, present, future and timeless awareness. How time feels to us is variable, isn't it? Some times, time seems to standstill or move more slowly.

It's hard to talk about time because we have linear constructs that are "conveniences" that we employ. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, week etc. We made that up ourselves.

I don't know. We talk about time as past, present, future and timeless awareness. How time feels to us is variable, isn't it? Some times, time seems to standstill or move more slowly.

It's hard to talk about time because we have linear constructs that are "conveniences" that we employ. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, week etc. We made that up ourselves.
Yes. I think the time problem comes in mostly when we need to repair the damage we cause. This is not possible without resetting time, so by humans it can't be done.

Still, it maybe unsettling to count the time one must spend as a hungry ghost, for example. How much damage does a hungry ghost cause? And how can he end that?

Then there is the hell problem. I can understand how hell serves the good of time, because by disassembling its prisoner, it resets the time on all damages made prior, thus the damages get repaired. But if he'll is hell, then how do you not end your entire existence there, in the disassembly?

Yes. I think the time problem comes in mostly when we need to repair the damage we cause. This is not possible without resetting time, so by humans it can't be done.

Still, it maybe unsettling to count the time one must spend as a hungry ghost, for example. How much damage does a hungry ghost cause? And how can he end that?

Then there is the hell problem. I can understand how hell serves the good of time, because by disassembling its prisoner, it resets the time on all damages made prior, thus the damages get repaired. But if he'll is hell, then how do you not end your entire existence there, in the disassembly?
A hungry ghost realms exists but not in the way we think it does. Greed is what gets you there.

A hungry ghost realms exists but not in the way we think it does. Greed is what gets you there.
Is this related to the Catholic church's 7 deadly sins? ... Okay I should not ask about people I know. Hehe.

Last edited:
Lucy,

Sometime, this would be an interesting discussion. I really love Pope Francis, and if I wasn't so committed to Buddhism I'd consider him one of the most "Christ-like" Popes of my lifetime.

A hungry ghost is the result of greed. It's a desire that can never be satisfied. Some human beings know this kind of existence. How can karma be purified? That's a GREAT question and deserves it's own discussion.

Is there a karma related concept in Buddhism for higher structures than individual lives, such as for a tribe, or for a species, or for a cultural group, something for a group of individuals?

Is there a karma related concept in Buddhism for higher structures than individual lives, such as for a tribe, or for a species, or for a cultural group, something for a group of individuals?
Do we have a kind of "collective karma" in groups, like nations. Yes, we do.

If karma exists then why do so many nice people die of horrible, painful cancers? :dunno:

If karma exists then why do so many nice people die of horrible, painful cancers? :dunno:
Karma exists in the sense that if you are born into a human body it is a body subject to getting sick, aging and dying. Cancer isn't a "punishment". Karma isn't punishment and reward.

Forum List

Back