🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

'Bullying' in the NFL?

Normal student = needs to get accepted by school based on intelligence, will receive no "special exemptions" passing classes
Athlete = gets accepted to school based on physical ability, will receive "special exemptions" passing classes

Fair statement?

No, it's not.

Actually I'll word it in a different way.

Why is a degree valuable? I say it's because you (A) know the person passed the rigorous intelligence standards to get into the college, and (B) successfully completed the rigorous course load the college puts a student through.

Knowing that Athletes get accepted into college not for their intelligence but rather physical ability, and usually get a "free pass" on tests, coursework (or at least leeway, and if you think they don't you're being naive), does the degree become "less valuable"?

I say... DEFINITELY

Top althetes aren’t accepted into colleges for their brains, nor are they accepted onto pro teams for their brains.

That is an inaccurate generalization.

You're saying that the University of Alabama goes to the home of the top HS Wide Receiver in the country because they're interested in his intelligence level?

You're wrong here, and why?

Because a low IQ non-athlete doesn't have the same chance of getting into a big ten college as a low IQ athlete who happens to be the best QB in the nation.

Last edited:

Why is a degree valuable? I say it's because you (A) know the person passed the rigorous intelligence standards to get into the college, and (B) successfully completed the rigorous course load the college puts a student through.

Knowing that Athletes get accepted into college not for their intelligence but rather physical ability, and usually get a "free pass" on tests, coursework (or at least leeway, and if you think they don't you're being naive), does the degree become "less valuable"?

I say... DEFINITELY

Again, an inaccurate generalization. Wanting to believe such inaccurate generalizations won't make you any bigger, stronger, or faster. Sorry.

I say... DEFINITELY

Again, an inaccurate generalization. Wanting to believe such inaccurate generalizations won't make you any bigger, stronger, or faster. Sorry.

Why don't you explain why it's an inaccurate generalization?

I say... DEFINITELY

Why don't you explain why it's an inaccurate generalization?

First of all it's an illogical claim, since you do not have sufficient proof upon which to base it. Second, many positions in many sports require significant intelligence and the ability to process a great deal of information. Ever notice the size of an NFL playbook? Do you think the complex offenses and defenses in today's NFL lend themselves to mastery by unintelligent people?

The schools where jocks get a pass are the exception today. In fact, there is currently a big push underway in the NFL to encourage and support former players who may not have finished their degrees to go back to school and do so. They recognize the importance of having an education once their time in the pros is up.

Bull. The guys an nfl lineman. Nobody put a gun to his head. That's theft. Not saying no is foolishness. Nothing more, nothing less

Thas is your opinion. Everyone has one. Mine disagrees with yours. It isn't "Bull". It is my opinion. He was robbed. - Jeri

Robbery is a CRIME. Giving your money FREELY is not.

As in my previous example he had the option to say NO. At 300 lbs, that's a mighty BIG OPTION.

You can say no to a person holding a gun to your head. The question is did the rookies have a reasonable fear of retaliation for saying no.

Top althetes aren’t accepted into colleges for their brains, nor are they accepted onto pro teams for their brains.

It's actually a very accurate generalization. If hitting the target more than 90% of the time qualifies as accurate anyway.

The proof that it is inaccurate can be found in your inability to substantiate that rather specific "more than 90% of the time."

Thas is your opinion. Everyone has one. Mine disagrees with yours. It isn't "Bull". It is my opinion. He was robbed. - Jeri

As in my previous example he had the option to say NO. At 300 lbs, that's a mighty BIG OPTION.

You can say no to a person holding a gun to your head. The question is did the rookies have a reasonable fear of retaliation for saying no.

No gun was involved. The argument is about a crime.

"Under educated"?
More like fake educated. Dexter Manley had a degree and couldn't even read.

About half of all NFL players have college degrees. That's more than the general public.
Those sheep skins were payment for playing for those colleges, not earned through honest study. Manley wouldn't even have graduated high school, had he actually had to legitimately pass those tests. College is a free ride for athletes. NCAA is a scam.

It's actually a very accurate generalization. If hitting the target more than 90% of the time qualifies as accurate anyway.

The proof that it is inaccurate can be found in your inability to substantiate that rather specific "more than 90% of the time."

I low balled it just to make sure I was covered. The actual figure is more likely in the high 9's.

About half of all NFL players have college degrees. That's more than the general public.

Perhaps that statement wasn’t worded correctly, but hear me out.

Top althetes aren’t accepted into colleges for their brains, nor are they accepted onto pro teams for their brains. And when they get accepted into college, learning is often their #2 or #3 priority (and I’m talking specifically about top athletes who are bound for the pros).

I’ve built this opinion based on what I’ve experienced and heard from folks who knew top athletes at the big ten school I attended. Big athletes often missed class, missed tests, yet were given special exemptions and “help” (ie someone else did their work) to get a passing grade so that they wouldn’t get kicked out of the school.

A 20 year old who knows he’s NFL bound is hardly worried about his Chemistry exam, generally speaking of course.

My main point is not only are pro athletes not selected for their brains (which lowers the IQ of the pool), many of them also didn’t dedicate as many rigorous hours to studying as your run of the mill college student, therefore rendering the fact they "have a degree" less meaningful.

Normal student = needs to get accepted by school based on intelligence, will receive no "special exemptions" passing classes
Athlete = gets accepted to school based on physical ability, will receive "special exemptions" passing classes

Fair statement?

No offense but you're so far off on basically all of your statements that I can only assume you don't actually follow sports at all. Almost everything you've said is flat out wrong and can be debunked by just picking up the sports page of your local newspaper.

The NCAA specifically mandates minimal high school GPA, SAT, etc. scores for incoming athletes and none of them are especially low. Many of the top athletic programs in the country come from some of the best colleges that refuse to lower their standards for admissions. Throwing a football won't get you into Stanford any more than shooting a basketball will get you into Duke. More importantly, athletes are suspended, dismissed from their teams, or expelled from their schools altogether ALL THE TIME for not showing up to class or failing to maintain their grades. You don't get any more higher profile in college sports than starting quarterback for Notre Dame in the National Championship Game but Golson Everett is not playing this season because of his grades.

"Brains" is very important to teams which is why the NFL specifically gives an IQ test and arguably the single worst thing you can do to affect your draft position is tank that exam.

Rookies say no to hazing all the time.

Unfortunately there are a lot of non-sport people trying to take things out of context and blow this story out of proportion. Working in the NFL is a job but it's a completely different job atmosphere then working for an accounting firm. In this case, it really is Martin who really was in the wrong and he probably cost himself his NFL career.

Last edited:

Rookies say no to hazing all the time.

Unfortunately there are a lot of non-sport people trying to take things out of context and blow this story out of proportion. Working in the NFL is a job but it's a completely different job atmosphere then working for an accounting firm. In this case, it really is Martin who really was in the wrong and he probably cost himself his NFL career.

From all accounts, his play had all but sewn up that fate. This is just a fuck you money grab on the way out.

Seems he just might be the huge pussy his teammates knew he was all along.

Forum List

Back