Burger King Moves North to Canada for Tax Reasons.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Pretending that the merger is because of tax reasons is just silly.

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

No, they paid the US government taxes on their US earnings.

And they kept their foreign earned money overseas because the US government would take 35% of it if they tried to repatriate it. By locating their headquarters in Canada, they can repatriate money without paying that ridiculous tax no one else charges them. In fact ironically, they will be able to take internationally earned money and move it to the US without paying the repatriation of money tax on it. That is probably a big kicker in this for them.

If what you are saying is true, how come Burger King and Tim Horton's (pre-merger) pay essentially the same effective tax rate?
Because it is not true. There are things these companies do not want the general public to know. And because they are private sector companies, it is their right to keep certain things out of the public eye.

Last year, Burger King paid an effective tax rate of 27.5% (in the US), and Tim Hortons paid an effective tax rate of 28% (in Canada).

Pretending that the merger is because of tax reasons is just silly.

Tim Horton did not pay the Canadian government taxes on its US earnings. Guess what Burger King is looking at.

No, they paid the US government taxes on their US earnings.

And they kept their foreign earned money overseas because the US government would take 35% of it if they tried to repatriate it. By locating their headquarters in Canada, they can repatriate money without paying that ridiculous tax no one else charges them. In fact ironically, they will be able to take internationally earned money and move it to the US without paying the repatriation of money tax on it. That is probably a big kicker in this for them.

If what you are saying is true, how come Burger King and Tim Horton's (pre-merger) pay essentially the same effective tax rate?
Because it is not true. There are things these companies do not want the general public to know. And because they are private sector companies, it is their right to keep certain things out of the public eye.

Both are actually publicly-traded corporations, and have to release financial reports (including effective tax rates) on a quarterly basis for shareholders and investors.

What is Burger King's "effective" tax rate in the U.S.? What will it be in Canada?

Are you thinking Burger King didn't think of that? They'll do all this and not save on their taxes? You should probably write them a letter.

Did they say that's the reason?

You're from Michigan -- you must realize how big Tim Horton's is... they've been expanding here too -- I've seen them as far south as Kentucky.

Let me check the link in your OP to see the background here.
Oh wait -- there isn't any.

They came into in this area, too, after buying local chain Bess Eaton...that bombed, all of them were closed within 5 years. As Krispy Kreme discovered: in New England, NOBODY can touch Dunkin' Donuts!

What is Burger King's "effective" tax rate in the U.S.? What will it be in Canada?

Are you thinking Burger King didn't think of that? They'll do all this and not save on their taxes? You should probably write them a letter.

Did they say that's the reason?

You're from Michigan -- you must realize how big Tim Horton's is... they've been expanding here too -- I've seen them as far south as Kentucky.

Let me check the link in your OP to see the background here.
Oh wait -- there isn't any.

They came into in this area, too, after buying local chain Bess Eaton...that bombed, all of them were closed within 5 years. As Krispy Kreme discovered: in New England, NOBODY can touch Dunkin' Donuts!

Dunkin' Donuts. :lol: Please. DD is a donut shop. I don't think they quite compete with each other.

As it happens most of the THs I've been to have been in New England. But I have seen them around Ohio and Kentucky.

DD competed-directly-with Tim Horton's and Krispy Kreme. Not much of a competition, though...Dunkin' annihilated both of them.

You have not been to a Tim Horton's in New England in at least four years.

Does anyone know who the CEOs of Burger King donated to supported during the 2008 and 2012 elections?

I don't think Burger King are "idiots who didn't think it through". I'm sure they did think it through.

On the other hand, I think everyone who believes the purpose of the merger was to avoid taxes are idiots who didn't think it through.
What you think is immaterial.

Perhaps what's "immaterial" is this completely unsupported mythology about "taxes". When you have no evidence -- that's immaterial.

I don't start a thread without backing up my point. How 'bout chew?

And what does a political philosophy -- which you claim to aspire to -- have to do with ability to back up one's point?

Why didn't you put this link in the OP? Too weak?

So if I start a thread on WWII, you expect a link that we fought the Nazis and we won? Go to google and type in this, "Burger King Canada Taxes" and you will get a plethora of articles. After that, you can ask me to fill your bathtub with hot water for you...

DD competed-directly-with Tim Horton's and Krispy Kreme. Not much of a competition, though...Dunkin' annihilated both of them.

You have not been to a Tim Horton's in New England in at least four years.

Yeah actually I have. I pass several of them in Maine enroute to Nova Scotia.

What's your point here? What's it got to do with Burger King or mergers or taxes?

...and yet, the president does not set tax rates. Congress does, and the House is controlled by Republicans....

Current tax rates are the ones Obama asked Congress for.

No. Current corporate tax rates are the ones Reagan asked Congress for, back in 1986.

Notice the absence of the word "corporate" in my post.

What? You mean there is more than one sentence in the 75,000 page US tax code which pertains to incorporated entities?

Bullshit....you are just joshing us. The remaining 74,999.97 pages are all about charitable deductions.

Forum List

Back