🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Buried fossil soils found to be awash in carbon

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Soils that formed on the Earth's surface thousands of years ago and that are now deeply buried features of vanished landscapes have been found to be rich in carbon, adding a new dimension to our planet's carbon cycle.

The finding, reported today in the journal Nature Geoscience, is significant as it suggests that deep soils can contain long-buried stocks of organic carbon which could, through erosion, agriculture, deforestation, mining and other human activities, contribute to global climate change.

"There is a lot of carbon at depths where nobody is measuring," says Erika Marin-Spiotta, a University of Wisconsin-Madison assistant professor of geography and the lead author of the new study. "It was assumed that there was little carbon in deeper soils. Most studies are done in only the top 30 centimeters. Our study is showing that we are potentially grossly underestimating carbon in soils."

Read more at: Buried fossil soils found to be awash in carbon

Soils that formed on the Earth's surface thousands of years ago and that are now deeply buried features of vanished landscapes have been found to be rich in carbon, adding a new dimension to our planet's carbon cycle.

The finding, reported today in the journal Nature Geoscience, is significant as it suggests that deep soils can contain long-buried stocks of organic carbon which could, through erosion, agriculture, deforestation, mining and other human activities, contribute to global climate change.

"There is a lot of carbon at depths where nobody is measuring," says Erika Marin-Spiotta, a University of Wisconsin-Madison assistant professor of geography and the lead author of the new study. "It was assumed that there was little carbon in deeper soils. Most studies are done in only the top 30 centimeters. Our study is showing that we are potentially grossly underestimating carbon in soils."

Read more at: Buried fossil soils found to be awash in carbon

:lol::lol::lol: What a stupid story. Of COURSE it is...carbon is the basic building block of ALL life. And these idiots call themselves scientists....

OMG.... Dirt contains carbon..

Must
leave
the
planet.
NOW !

And how exactly does elemental carbon, or hydrocarbons contribute to climate change anyways??
CO2 and Carbon are markers for LIFEFORMS. Not poisons..
At least on this planet..

The mere presence of carbon in soils contributes to global warming. Now I've heard it all.

Is there no concern for actual threats to the environment, such as the content and quality of soils at the surface as a result of...oh, agriculture?

The mere presence of carbon in soils contributes to global warming. Now I've heard it all.

Is there no concern for actual threats to the environment, such as the content and quality of soils at the surface as a result of...oh, agriculture?

Sure...you just need to find a way for the government to score some revenue by it's exploitation.

• Banned

Sure...you just need to find a way for the government to score some revenue by it's exploitation.

You're also for defunding cancer research and much more. THis is why the tea party is my enemy and will never be good for this country. May it burn in hell.:mad:

Debate the research all you wish but if you wish to defund science that saves thousands of lives every year...Maybe you're just anti-civilization.

No, I wish to defund bullshit like this. It accomplishes nothing but the squandering of funds that could have been used for something meaningful.

You're also for defunding cancer research and much more. THis is why the tea party is my enemy and will never be good for this country. May it burn in hell.:mad:

I am? Wow, that's news to me! Thank God you're here Matthew, otherwise I would have gone on thinking I was in favor of INCREASED funding for cancer research.

Now put the broad brush down and get back to your finger-painting...that's a good boy.

Forum List

Back