Bus converted to showers for homeless

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Group Turns Bus Into Bathroom, Provides Homeless People With Hot Showers And Sense Of Dignity

"If you're homeless, you're living on the streets and you're filthy, you're trying to improve your circumstances, but you can't interview for a job, you can't apply for housing and you get disconnected from your sense of humanity," Doniece Sandoval said. "So a shower just in of itself is amazing for people."

The $75,000 cost to refurbish the Lava Mae bus was provided by private donations, including from technology giant Google, whose employee buses in San Francisco have attracted protesters who view them as a symbol of economic inequality and gentrification. The city allows Lava Mae to use nearby fire hydrants for water.

Ralph Brown, a 55-year-old military veteran who has been homeless for about a year, took a shower aboard Lava Mae's bus on its first day of service last month. It was his first shower in several days.

I hope this catches on. I would certainly donate to help it along.

I also hope clueless people think about this when they shine that the very poor should just, you know, "stop being poor".

More and photo at the link.

I am glad people are helping other people. ;) We should help the poor become better off in life.

It cost $75,000?! SERIOUSLY?!?!

*facepalm*

Seriously: why not start with a retired school bus and do it for a third (or less) the cost?

That is cool and done on private donations. Perfect! Those involved will have a sense of what more than can personally do to help others.

Group Turns Bus Into Bathroom, Provides Homeless People With Hot Showers And Sense Of Dignity

"If you're homeless, you're living on the streets and you're filthy, you're trying to improve your circumstances, but you can't interview for a job, you can't apply for housing and you get disconnected from your sense of humanity," Doniece Sandoval said. "So a shower just in of itself is amazing for people."

The $75,000 cost to refurbish the Lava Mae bus was provided by private donations, including from technology giant Google, whose employee buses in San Francisco have attracted protesters who view them as a symbol of economic inequality and gentrification. The city allows Lava Mae to use nearby fire hydrants for water.

Ralph Brown, a 55-year-old military veteran who has been homeless for about a year, took a shower aboard Lava Mae's bus on its first day of service last month. It was his first shower in several days.

I hope this catches on. I would certainly donate to help it along.

I also hope clueless people think about this when they shine that the very poor should just, you know, "stop being poor".

More and photo at the link.

Luddly, it must have felt great to take a shower for the first time in a month, eh?

So did you drop your soap on purpose?

That is cool and done on private donations. Perfect! Those involved will have a sense of what more than can personally do to help others.

Yes, and those helped will know the names, and maybe some of the faces, that helped.......unlike a check in the mail that comes from "the government".

That's a great thing, but the bus could have taken them to the....................

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k]Village People - YMCA OFFICIAL Music Video 1978 - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is San Fran.............

Yes, and those helped will know the names, and maybe some of the faces, that helped.......unlike a check in the mail that comes from "the government".

Both are good. Why attack either for helping people not well off? Arent't he effin rich, rich enough?

Both are good. Why attack either for helping people not well off? Arent't he effin rich, rich enough?

I do not, I'd rather see my taxes spent on aid for those in need than than some other progrms; the incentive personal contributions brings is invaluable. Those in need know other HUMANS care, unlike the shodowy name "US Treasury".

It cost $75,000?! SERIOUSLY?!?!

*facepalm*

Seriously: why not start with a retired school bus and do it for a third (or less) the cost?

it is a city bus, what is the difference?

also, great idea. i hope it catches on.

I do not, I'd rather see my taxes spent on aid for those in need than than some other progrms; the incentive personal contributions brings is invaluable. Those in need know other HUMANS care, unlike the shodowy name "US Treasury".

Exactly, and each time you help others it spurs you and hopefully others, to do the same again. It also helps you see what other needs there may be. It brings feelings of being blessed with what you do have. It also blesses those you help.
In a way, there is also a selfish element in that it provides a sense of fulfillment to see the faces of those you help, and keeps one from dwelling on self so much. It can even help those suffering from depression by keeping ones mind occupied, by feeling blessed for what you do have and receiving others gratitude.
Much better for all involved rather than receiving a faceless check without realizing there is a person that cares helping you and willing to share with you their bounty, even if it isn't much.

Exactly, and each time you help others it spurs you and hopefully others, to do the same again. It also helps you see what other needs there may be. It brings feelings of being blessed with what you do have. It also blesses those you help.
In a way, there is also a selfish element in that it provides a sense of fulfillment to see the faces of those you help, and keeps one from dwelling on self so much. It can even help those suffering from depression by keeping ones mind occupied, by feeling blessed for what you do have and receiving others gratitude.
Much better for all involved rather than receiving a faceless check without realizing there is a person that cares helping you and willing to share with you their bounty, even if it isn't much.

Beautiful, thank you.

Pretty neat, but sort of expensive. You'd think they could fit more than two bathrooms on a bus that big.

It's good to see a group do this, without interference from the government that can never get out of it's own way.

Glad to see that individuals provided the service instead of government.

A testament to the individuals of this country. They give without the government forcing them.

Thanks for the thread.

Forum List

Back