Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

When I consider that Sandy Berger was fined US$50,000, received 2 years probation and 100 hours of community service for actually violating the US Codes regarding classified material (a substantive crime); I find that Libby's sentence was excessive considering his convictions were only process crimes.

I think the US$250,000 fine and probation is appropriate. Regardless of how Libby's appeal of his convictions turns out, I hope this is the last action GWB takes WRT Libby's case.

Unless you can get the law changed to a felony, what Berger did was a misdeameanor. Personally, I think Berger should have gotten more punishment.

Do you agree that Libby should get the standard punishment for three felony convictions?

Novak claimed Bill Harlow (former CIA spokesman) confirmed Plame's employment with the CIA. It was part of the original set of articles by Novak, and I would think qualify as valid sources.

If one wants, I imagine that one could dig through the grand jury testimony to find Bill Harlow's testimony, but I leave that for someone who hopes to find something therein which contradicts Novak's articles.

Statement from Patrick Fitzgerald, July 2, 2007:

We comment only on the statement in which the President termed the sentence imposed by the judge as "excessive."

The sentence in this case was imposed pursuant to the laws governing sentencings which occur every day throughout this country. In this case, an experienced federal judge considered extensive argument from the parties and then imposed a sentence consistent with the applicable laws. It is fundamental to the rule of law that all citizens stand before the bar of justice as equals. That principle guided the judge during both the trial and the sentencing.

I'll take that as a no, you don't have a court source, or a non-partisan mainstream source.

Please try to not confuse your Gunnery Sergeants, dude. You Retired GySgt for a source. I just asked what you would consider a non-partisan source.

Obviously you must have SOMETHING in mind, so why don't you just let the audience know what you consider a credible, non-partisan source.

Unless you can get the law changed to a felony, what Berger did was a misdeameanor. Personally, I think Berger should have gotten more punishment.
You are correct. Berger plead guilty to misdemeanor charges. And I agree that the prosecutor should NOT have plead that out to a misdemeanor, but should have pursued felony charges. Just another instance where I find fault with GWB's DOJ.

Do you agree that Libby should get the standard punishment for three felony convictions?

Actually that would be four felony counts, no? Yes, but I would have allowed him to remain free pending his appeal of the convictions.

You are correct. Berger plead guilty to misdemeanor charges. And I agree that the prosecutor should NOT have plead that out to a misdemeanor, but should have pursued felony charges. Just another instance where I find fault with GWB's DOJ.

Actually that would be four felony counts, no? Yes, but I would have allowed him to remain free pending his appeal of the convictions.

thanks.

Good. We agree that Libby's offenses are serious enough to merit prison, if his appeals ran out. And he was going to lose the appeals. Every lawyer I've seen interviewed said his appeals were probably going to be shot down.

Honest question - I'd appreciate an honest answer from someone who is upset about the pardon:

How has President Bush violated the checks and balances that were established by the Founding Fathers?

A commuting of sentence does not remove the conviction, unlike a pardon which expunges the conviction entirely.

No, this does not violate any checks or balances, and cannot. The power of pardon and commuting of sentence is an express power of the POTUS per the US Constitution, Article II, Section 2.

A commuting of sentence does not remove the conviction, unlike a pardon which expunges the conviction entirely.

No, this does not violate any checks or balances, and cannot. The power of pardon and commuting of sentence is an express power of the POTUS per the US Constitution, Article II, Section 2.

Clinton did lie under oath and libs feel he got a raw deal

It is in question if Libby did lie under oath and libs want him locked up

Selective outrage from the left

anytime Keith Overbite is upset - you know a good thing just happened

Olbermann: For Commutation in 'Greatest Crime of Century' Bush and Cheney Must Resign
Posted by Brent Baker on July 2, 2007 - 21:18.
After naming President George W. Bush as his “Worst Person in the World” on Monday night for commuting the 30-month prison sentence for Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann promised: “Tomorrow night here on Countdown, a Special Comment calling on this Vice President and this President to resign.”

Olbermann had opened his July 2 show: “A President who lied us into war, and in so doing needlessly killed 3,584 of our family and friends and neighbors” has “freed from the prospect of prison the only man ever to come to trial for one of the component felonies in what may be the greatest crime of this young century.”

The MRC's Brad Wilmouth is working on a more detailed piece which should be posted soon.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13883

Speaking of pom poms, keith olberman, is the biggest cheerleader of all time. Give me a d , give me an o , give me an n, whats thats spell, donkey :)

anytime Keith Overbite is upset - you know a good thing just happened

Olbermann: For Commutation in 'Greatest Crime of Century' Bush and Cheney Must Resign
Posted by Brent Baker on July 2, 2007 - 21:18.
After naming President George W. Bush as his “Worst Person in the World” on Monday night for commuting the 30-month prison sentence for Lewis 'Scooter' Libby, MSNBC host Keith Olbermann promised: “Tomorrow night here on Countdown, a Special Comment calling on this Vice President and this President to resign.”

Olbermann had opened his July 2 show: “A President who lied us into war, and in so doing needlessly killed 3,584 of our family and friends and neighbors” has “freed from the prospect of prison the only man ever to come to trial for one of the component felonies in what may be the greatest crime of this young century.”

The MRC's Brad Wilmouth is working on a more detailed piece which should be posted soon.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13883

Forum List

Back