CA Celebrates the Right to Suicide

BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY?
Yes indeed! Forget body parts of aborted babies! Let's harvest the suicidal! It's a pyramid schemers dream!

get the contract ready
Poor Jack Kevorkian, he was born too soon and died too soon to celebrate California's assisted suicide!

End of Life Option Act goes into effect in CA
California’s Physician-Assisted Suicide Law Goes Into Effect

As a Californian, I am very pleased that if I end up terminally ill, and in great pain I can die when I want to with decent drugs, rather than leaving a messy room and corpse behind from using my legally owned hand gun instead.
Your body will ooze unpleasant mess regardless of how you off yourself. Just saying.

Not true. If handled in a clinical manner, as assisted suicides are, there is no mess at all.
Oh. That's nice. A clinical mess is less!

Good. People have the right to die when they want. And in certain cases, how they want.

I agree, I strongly support Euthanasia.

A person has a human right to self-determination, to make their own choices regarding their own existence. If someone's in chronic pain and they just are tormented every waking moment, and not even Morphine is relieving the pain, then they have a human right to ask a medical professional to help them end their suffering and that medical professional is providing them with mercy and compassion.
Much better way than blowing their brains out or jumping in front of a truck or something.
Really? Jumping in front of a truck is self determining. Why is the government oking a doctor to kill you a better deal? No effort? Let someone else do it? Is that really better?

Good. People have the right to die when they want. And in certain cases, how they want.

A person has a human right to self-determination, to make their own choices regarding their own existence. If someone's in chronic pain and they just are tormented every waking moment, and not even Morphine is relieving the pain, then they have a human right to ask a medical professional to help them end their suffering and that medical professional is providing them with mercy and compassion.
Much better way than blowing their brains out or jumping in front of a truck or something.
Really? Jumping in front of a truck is self determining. Why is the government oking a doctor to kill you a better deal? No effort? Let someone else do it? Is that really better?
Its a controlled environment. Yes, that's better.

Yes because not all people die, and if a suicide fails they could end up in a worse position than they already were in. If the suicide failure has resulted in either complete paralysation or semi-complete paralysation, then they're going to be wanting to die even more and of course won't then have the ability to have another suicide attempt.

I think all of you "Keep Gubmint out of My Private Life Unless It Allows Me to Make Decisions for Total Strangers" types should ask yourselves: If you had a terminal/degenerative/excruciatingly painful/incurable condition, who would you want to make your decisions for you - yourself or some faceless bureaucrat?

Yes because not all people die, and if a suicide fails they could end up in a worse position than they already were in. If the suicide failure has resulted in either complete paralysation or semi-complete paralysation, then they're going to be wanting to die even more and of course won't then have the ability to have another suicide attempt.
Sure. We all die. I just can't help but wonder about those people who offed themselves when they could still be alive. Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead? Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be? Why the rush out of it?

Sure. We all die. I just can't help but wonder about those people who offed themselves when they could still be alive. Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead? Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be? Why the rush out of it?
I would think it just depends on the individual. Everybody is so different in so many different ways.

They want to die, but make some else actually do the deed. Brandish a gun, fire it into the air and then aim it at a police officer.

"Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead?"

I wouldn't think so, if you hear people discussing having to endure excruciating pain almost 24/7, most say they want to die, because they're not living, they're existing and existing under unbearable conditions.

To that sort of person, death is a release from that.

Some of the worst pain can be tooth pain. I remember reading about a man in America and he didn't have adequate insurance and he couldn't afford the dentist....so he went to San Francisco and chose a one-way ticket jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Often when a persons in so much unending pain, death is the relief and embrace they wish.

"Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be?"

We have different ideas about what a beautiful place is. I certainly wouldn't refer to being in paralysation my idea of being in a beautiful place. Were I ever to be in such a terrible situation, then Mr. Lucy would know what I'd want him to do....get my Glock and at point blank range shoot me directly in the heart.

The point blank shot directly in the heart, much preferable to a head shot, the latter the bullet might get lodged in the brain, you mightn't die.

Poor Jack Kevorkian, he was born too soon and died too soon to celebrate California's assisted suicide!

As a Californian, I am very pleased that if I end up terminally ill, and in great pain I can die when I want to with decent drugs, rather than leaving a messy room and corpse behind from using my legally owned hand gun instead.

very considerate of you

I think so.

Nothing prevents me from taking my legally owned handgun and blowing my brains out- but doing so is a) less likely to succeed, and failure would lead to additional costs and pain and suffering b) leaves a gruesome mess for family or others to discover and clean up and c) has the potential of having my handgun fall into the hands of a criminal or child.

A legally prescribed lethal dose of morphine allows me to kill myself without any of that- if that is what i choose to do.

I cannot understand why anyone who believes in my right to own a gun- and therefore kill myself- but doesn't also believe in my right to kill myself with morphine.

so what happens if you're not suicidal but everyone is peer pressuring you into it?

The same thing that is happening now?

The only difference between today and yesterday is that now I can go to two different doctors- and if they agree that I am terminal and am in pain- and I request them to prescribe lethal drugs I can.

Yesterday I could blow my brains out.

Whose decision should that be? More specifically- who should decide whether I can kill myself with a legal dosage of medicine

Your?

Or me?

I have always have the option to kill myself- so long as I am physically capable of doing so. Dying when I want to, surrounded by friends and family, rather than blowing my brains out or jumping off of a bridge or building and possibly hurting others.

I wouldn't think so, if you hear people discussing having to endure excruciating pain almost 24/7, most say they want to die, because they're not living, they're existing and existing under unbearable conditions.

Some of the worst pain can be tooth pain. I remember reading about a man in America and he didn't have adequate insurance and he couldn't afford the dentist....so he went to San Francisco and chose a one-way ticket jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Often when a persons in so much unending pain, death is the relief and embrace they wish.

"Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be?"

We have different ideas about what a beautiful place is. I certainly wouldn't refer to being in paralysation my idea of being in a beautiful place. Were I ever to be in such a terrible situation, then Mr. Lucy would know what I'd want him to do....get my Glock and at point blank range shoot me directly in the heart.

The point blank shot directly in the heart, much preferable to a head shot, the latter the bullet might get lodged in the brain, you mightn't die.
I can't help but remember my cousin. Bad luck. Liver cancer. Early thirties. Two little children. She was in and out of a coma (paralysation, right?) for months. She was terminal. When she was awake she was, of course, in pain. Those times when she was nonparlysational were no doubt awful but some of that time was spent visiting with others. I just can't help but think that if she'd have killed herself, not only she, but many other people would have missed out on something important.

Yeah. Pain sucks. Dying sucks. Maybe, just maybe, not playing your life out to natural death sucks too.

Your body will ooze unpleasant mess regardless of how you off yourself. Just saying.

I fully support your right not to off yourself if you are in pain and suffering from a terminal illness.

Why would you deny me that right?

This is an absolute goldmine for heirs tired of waiting for Uncle Ralph to die. Sick people won't be wasting assets on medical care any more.

Easier for me to kill myself with my handgun than bother with getting two doctors to agree with me.

Do you think that terminal patients should have their guns taken away from them so that they can't commit suicide?

I fully support your right not to off yourself if you are in pain and suffering from a terminal illness.

I'm not denying you anything.

It's not the right to suicide. It's the "right" to hire a quack doctor to kill some old fart who won't die on his own.

Why specifically do you think you have the right to tell me I can't get a lethal dosage of medicine- after getting the agreement of two doctors- who attest to my pain and my terminal interest.

Why specifically do you think I should have to kill myself with a gun- rather than with a prescription?

I'm not denying you anything.

So you are not objecting to California's new law?

Good- we have no disagreement then.

I can't help but remember my cousin. Bad luck. Liver cancer. Early thirties. Two little children. She was in and out of a coma (paralysation, right?) for months. She was terminal. When she was awake she was, of course, in pain. Those times when she was nonparlysational were no doubt awful but some of that time was spent visiting with others. I just can't help but think that if she'd have killed herself, not only she, but many other people would have missed out on something important.

Yeah. Pain sucks. Dying sucks. Maybe, just maybe, not playing your life out to natural death sucks too.
Should your cousin have had the option to make that decision?

Or should she have been prevented from making that decision?

Forum List

Back