CA Celebrates the Right to Suicide

2 quack doctors and at least one greedy relative.

2 licensed doctors and 1 mentally competent terminal patient can agree that the patient can get a dosage to end his own life.

1 mentally competent- or incompetent patient can alternatively just shoot themselves with their legal handgun.

No doctors necessary.

"Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead?"

I wouldn't think so, if you hear people discussing having to endure excruciating pain almost 24/7, most say they want to die, because they're not living, they're existing and existing under unbearable conditions.

To that sort of person, death is a release from that.

Some of the worst pain can be tooth pain. I remember reading about a man in America and he didn't have adequate insurance and he couldn't afford the dentist....so he went to San Francisco and chose a one-way ticket jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Often when a persons in so much unending pain, death is the relief and embrace they wish.

"Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be?"

We have different ideas about what a beautiful place is. I certainly wouldn't refer to being in paralysation my idea of being in a beautiful place. Were I ever to be in such a terrible situation, then Mr. Lucy would know what I'd want him to do....get my Glock and at point blank range shoot me directly in the heart.

The point blank shot directly in the heart, much preferable to a head shot, the latter the bullet might get lodged in the brain, you mightn't die.
I can't help but remember my cousin. Bad luck. Liver cancer. Early thirties. Two little children. She was in and out of a coma (paralysation, right?) for months. She was terminal. When she was awake she was, of course, in pain. Those times when she was nonparlysational were no doubt awful but some of that time was spent visiting with others. I just can't help but think that if she'd have killed herself, not only she, but many other people would have missed out on something important.

Yeah. Pain sucks. Dying sucks. Maybe, just maybe, not playing your life out to natural death sucks too.
Should your cousin have had the option to make that decision?

Or should she have been prevented from making that decision?
Try reading what I said, instead of knee jerking about how I'm denying you something.

Try responding to my question rather than dancing to avoid it.

Wow. You read a lot into what I said. At no time did I say she should be prevented from making the decision to kill herself. I said that she suffered, and in that suffering something important probably happened. (I'm avoiding mentioning God because that'll likely bring on even more assumptions and knee jerking.)

Her death sucked. Her loved ones hated it. Surely, she hated it. All I'm saying is maybe, just maybe, dying the hard way is the way to go. Making it legal to kill somebody- just might deny people from fully living out their lives. So. If she had decided to off herself, there would have been less pain. There also may have been less chance to spend that extra time to say good bye. It seems to me that it was terrible enough to have to die so young but to cut it off even sooner would deny not just her, but her loved ones a special time.

So yeah. I am in favor of naturally finishing out of one's life. By the way, look up Jack Kevorkian. Some of the people he "helped" die were just sad. Is CA wrong with this law? I can't say. I do say there are dangers of making offing people in pain easier.

I trust you see that I am not "dancing".

You still haven't actually answered my question- and yes- you are still dancing away from the hard anwer

Good. People have the right to die when they want. And in certain cases, how they want.

I agree, I strongly support Euthanasia.

A person has a human right to self-determination, to make their own choices regarding their own existence. If someone's in chronic pain and they just are tormented every waking moment, and not even Morphine is relieving the pain, then they have a human right to ask a medical professional to help them end their suffering and that medical professional is providing them with mercy and compassion.
Much better way than blowing their brains out or jumping in front of a truck or something.

Yes because not all people die, and if a suicide fails they could end up in a worse position than they already were in. If the suicide failure has resulted in either complete paralysation or semi-complete paralysation, then they're going to be wanting to die even more and of course won't then have the ability to have another suicide attempt.
Sure. We all die. I just can't help but wonder about those people who offed themselves when they could still be alive. Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead? Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be? Why the rush out of it?

Just imagine the worst pain you have ever experienced and then multiply that by 100. You have a choice, excruciating pain or narcotics (if you can get them) that are so powerful that while you still experience the pain, you are apart from it so it isn't quite as bad. The unfortunate side effect however is you are incapable of doing anything other than sit in a chair or lay in a bed. I don't consider that living.

Or, you can be a heartless prick and demand that they live in excruciating pain because some how you feel you are entitled to your opinion taking precedence over actual pain and suffering. In other words, you're an asshole.
If suggesting that we not get all happy over the suicide option makes me an asshole, fine, I'm an asshole. You are not only unwilling to consider my point of view, you call me an ugly name because we don't see things exactly the same way.

What does that make you?

I can't help but remember my cousin. Bad luck. Liver cancer. Early thirties. Two little children. She was in and out of a coma (paralysation, right?) for months. She was terminal. When she was awake she was, of course, in pain. Those times when she was nonparlysational were no doubt awful but some of that time was spent visiting with others. I just can't help but think that if she'd have killed herself, not only she, but many other people would have missed out on something important.

Yeah. Pain sucks. Dying sucks. Maybe, just maybe, not playing your life out to natural death sucks too.

Try reading what I said, instead of knee jerking about how I'm denying you something.

Try responding to my question rather than dancing to avoid it.

Wow. You read a lot into what I said. At no time did I say she should be prevented from making the decision to kill herself. I said that she suffered, and in that suffering something important probably happened. (I'm avoiding mentioning God because that'll likely bring on even more assumptions and knee jerking.)

Her death sucked. Her loved ones hated it. Surely, she hated it. All I'm saying is maybe, just maybe, dying the hard way is the way to go. Making it legal to kill somebody- just might deny people from fully living out their lives. So. If she had decided to off herself, there would have been less pain. There also may have been less chance to spend that extra time to say good bye. It seems to me that it was terrible enough to have to die so young but to cut it off even sooner would deny not just her, but her loved ones a special time.

So yeah. I am in favor of naturally finishing out of one's life. By the way, look up Jack Kevorkian. Some of the people he "helped" die were just sad. Is CA wrong with this law? I can't say. I do say there are dangers of making offing people in pain easier.

I trust you see that I am not "dancing".

You still haven't actually answered my question- and yes- you are still dancing away from the hard anwer

My cousin always had the option to kill herself. We all do. Should she be prevented from killing herself? It depends. As I suggested before, you may want to learn about Jack Kevorkian. He killed some people who probably needed psychological help as much, or more than, relief from pain. He went to prison because assisted suicide was illegal.

Legalizing suicide will invite more killing. Look at the people who have been offed in other countries that have legal assisted suicide. Are you OK with all of those deaths? Should any of them been prevented?

I can't make the decision for anyone else, but I'd try to talk someone I loved out of killing themselves. I believe the state has no business in that decision.

If that doesn't answer your "hard" question, then you haven't read what I've written.

I agree, I strongly support Euthanasia.

A person has a human right to self-determination, to make their own choices regarding their own existence. If someone's in chronic pain and they just are tormented every waking moment, and not even Morphine is relieving the pain, then they have a human right to ask a medical professional to help them end their suffering and that medical professional is providing them with mercy and compassion.
Much better way than blowing their brains out or jumping in front of a truck or something.

Yes because not all people die, and if a suicide fails they could end up in a worse position than they already were in. If the suicide failure has resulted in either complete paralysation or semi-complete paralysation, then they're going to be wanting to die even more and of course won't then have the ability to have another suicide attempt.
Sure. We all die. I just can't help but wonder about those people who offed themselves when they could still be alive. Is being in pain alive really not better than being dead? Even if you are in paralysation, how do we know that isn't a beautiful place to be? Why the rush out of it?

Just imagine the worst pain you have ever experienced and then multiply that by 100. You have a choice, excruciating pain or narcotics (if you can get them) that are so powerful that while you still experience the pain, you are apart from it so it isn't quite as bad. The unfortunate side effect however is you are incapable of doing anything other than sit in a chair or lay in a bed. I don't consider that living.

Or, you can be a heartless prick and demand that they live in excruciating pain because some how you feel you are entitled to your opinion taking precedence over actual pain and suffering. In other words, you're an asshole.
If suggesting that we not get all happy over the suicide option makes me an asshole, fine, I'm an asshole. You are not only unwilling to consider my point of view, you call me an ugly name because we don't see things exactly the same way.

What does that make you?

That's where you're wrong. I have considered your position. And, I have determined that it is absolutely idiotic that a healthy person can tell a person in extreme pain that they have to suffer. There are laws that prevent killing criminals on death row with methods that inflict far less pain on the grounds that it is cruel and unusual punishment, and yet you blissfully demand that totally innocent people be made to suffer agonies that the most perverse criminal is exempt from.

That to me is madness.

In a year Great Aunt Hannah will miss her bridge game because someone decided she's too sick to live. In five years, the 15 year old girl commenting that she would rather die than wear braces will be strapped to a bed with a kindly doctor telling her she made the right decision.

You people have no idea what horrors await beyond death's door for those who kill themselves.

I know, because once in a while, my mother comes to me and shows me where she is. I see her face, clenched in pain and terror, burning in unquenchable fire, gripping the gates of the heaven that is forever denied to her, and she comes to me unbidden, and she comes often, and I can't get the image out of my head because it's burned into my skull and into the backs of my eyelids. Even as I write these words, I see her, and she calls to me silently, but I can't hear what she's trying to say to me.

I used to light candles for her in Church, I used to pray for her soul, anything to save her. Now, I've given up.

This is an opportunity for the State to convince the elderly to euthanize themselves so the State can direct it's funds elsewhere.

Ghoulish!

What does that make you?

That's where you're wrong. I have considered your position. And, I have determined that it is absolutely idiotic that a healthy person can tell a person in extreme pain that they have to suffer. There are laws that prevent killing criminals on death row with methods that inflict far less pain on the grounds that it is cruel and unusual punishment, and yet you blissfully demand that totally innocent people be made to suffer agonies that the most perverse criminal is exempt from.

That to me is madness.
You obviously haven't read my position. Nowhere do I say that a person in extreme pain has to suffer. At no time do I blissfully demand that innocent people be made to do anything or be stopped from doing anything. I am not in favor of suicide. That doesn't mean I want people in pain to suffer. Capital punishment is an entirely different issue. My position is that legalized assisted suicide will be abused.

Distorting someone else's words as you have done, is what I consider madness.

What does that make you?

That to me is madness.
You obviously haven't read my position. Nowhere do I say that a person in extreme pain has to suffer. At no time do I blissfully demand that innocent people be made to do anything or be stopped from doing anything. I am not in favor of suicide. That doesn't mean I want people in pain to suffer. Capital punishment is an entirely different issue. My position is that legalized assisted suicide will be abused.

Then put rules in place to prevent abuse. Require a doctor's approval, or even two doctors.

No matter how merciful and compassionate this starts out, it will end with murdering the inconvenient.
Slippery slope fallacy.

Such is the authoritarian conservative, seeking more government interference in citizens’ personal lives.

Whether it’s compelling a woman to give birth against her will through force of law or using government to dictate to citizens personal life matters, conservatives are consistent in their contempt for individual liberty.

This is an absolute goldmine for heirs tired of waiting for Uncle Ralph to die. Sick people won't be wasting assets on medical care any more.

It was already a gold mine, just not for the elderly/dying or their families.
A goldmine? You should see the hospital bills when my grandfathers and grandmothers died after 2 weeks of hospice. Had we ended their suffering in 1 week the healthcare giants would have lost a half million dollars.

No matter how merciful and compassionate this starts out, it will end with murdering the inconvenient.
Slippery slope fallacy.

Such is the authoritarian conservative, seeking more government interference in citizens’ personal lives.

Whether it’s compelling a woman to give birth against her will through force of law or using government to dictate to citizens personal life matters, conservatives are consistent in their contempt for individual liberty.
You are consistent in your contempt for the value of human life.

What does that make you?

That to me is madness.

Your position is wrong, and likewise fails as a slippery slope fallacy.

You’re clearly ignorant as to the provisions of the measure.

Those suffering from Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia are not covered by the law.

Two doctors must confirm the patients terminal condition.

And doctors are not allowed to administer end of life drugs, only the patient is allowed to do so.

Consequently, the measure is not ‘assisted suicide,’ and it will not lead to ‘abuse.’

But like most on the right you ignore the facts, remain willfully ignorant, and continue to attempt to propagate lies.

Eight things you should know as California’s new aid-in-dying law takes effect

Slippery slope fallacy.

You are consistent in your contempt for the value of human life.
And another ignorant conservative chimes in.

This is an absolute goldmine for heirs tired of waiting for Uncle Ralph to die. Sick people won't be wasting assets on medical care any more.

It was already a gold mine, just not for the elderly/dying or their families.
A goldmine? You should see the hospital bills when my grandfathers and grandmothers died after 2 weeks of hospice. Had we ended their suffering in 1 week the healthcare giants would have lost a half million dollars.
Yup.......snuff em early and save yourself some cash.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back