Cain: 'If You Don't Have A Job And You're Not Rich, Blame Yourself'

Then why did the stock market FALL over the 8 years of the Bush administration, and is up almost 50% since Obama took office?

January 1, 2001 Stock Market at 10,788
October 11, 2011 stock market 11,400

Yeah the stocks are up about 5% higher than where they were when bush took office in 2001. Adjust that for inflation.....ooops the stock market is actuall DOWN from when bush first took over and its 3 years into the obama admin ;)

The SP500 was at 805 on January 20th 2009. It's currently at 1192. How much of an increase is that?

The SP500 was at 1342 on Jan. 22, 2001, and at 805 Jan. 20th 2009. How much of a decline is that?

about 25%

That is 500 stocks....the dow is a lot more.....if you weight them properly the change is still small enough to make the previous comment erronious.

Yeah the stocks are up about 5% higher than where they were when bush took office in 2001. Adjust that for inflation.....ooops the stock market is actuall DOWN from when bush first took over and its 3 years into the obama admin ;)

The SP500 was at 805 on January 20th 2009. It's currently at 1192. How much of an increase is that?

The SP500 was at 1342 on Jan. 22, 2001, and at 805 Jan. 20th 2009. How much of a decline is that?

about 25%

That is 500 stocks....the dow is a lot more.....if you weight them properly the change is still small enough to make the previous comment erronious.

5/13ths is not 25%.

Do you want me to do the Wilshire 5000 and we'll see how much better Bush does with a bigger basket of stocks? lolol

about 25%

geez, that gem almost got by me. The Dow is 30 stocks, mon ami.

Yeah, in a nation that routinely laments the fact that the jobs available out there are mostly low pay fast food type jobs, we need to elect a guy who made his fortune in the fast food business.

lol

Bam, that's your problem. You're sitting and waiting for people to offer you a better paying job. In a free country, you can make whatever you want happen, but you have to make it happen. Start a business, get computer skills, get degrees, get advanced degrees, etc. But as long as all you're willing to do is sit and read the want ads, there is nothing that government can do to solve your laziness for you.

I'm happy with my job. I make 50 grand a year, my home is paid for, both of my vehicles are paid for, my only debt is credit cards which I use for convenience and pay off every month. You're cheap shotting the wrong person.

So if you don't have a job, you only have yourself to blame? That's the Right's consensus?

So...

...how many of the GOP presidential contenders DON'T blame President Obama for the weak job market?

:lol:

Yeah, in a nation that routinely laments the fact that the jobs available out there are mostly low pay fast food type jobs, we need to elect a guy who made his fortune in the fast food business.

lol

Bam, that's your problem. You're sitting and waiting for people to offer you a better paying job. In a free country, you can make whatever you want happen, but you have to make it happen. Start a business, get computer skills, get degrees, get advanced degrees, etc. But as long as all you're willing to do is sit and read the want ads, there is nothing that government can do to solve your laziness for you.

I'm happy with my job. I make 50 grand a year, my home is paid for, both of my vehicles are paid for, my only debt is credit cards which I use for convenience and pay off every month. You're cheap shotting the wrong person.

I'm cheap shotting no one, I'm addressing the poster who made the point. The way to get ahead in this country is to make it happen. Anyone who waits will wait...and wait...and wait... Play dumb, the point stands and you didn't address it, you just played word games.

So if you don't have a job, you only have yourself to blame? That's the Right's consensus?

So...

...how many of the GOP presidential contenders DON'T blame President Obama for the weak job market?

So just to be clear, when Obama blamed W in 2008 for the job market because he's President, that doesn't mean that in 2012 the President will be blamed?

But the answer to your question is that if I don't go to the store and get groceries and my kids are hungry, then it's my fault, but I'd appreciate if your President didn't make it harder by letting the air out of my tires...

Herman Cain, the new darling of the right, seems to think that the big banks and Wall St are beyond reproach when it comes to the poor economy and lack of jobs in the US. He also has a wild conspiracy theory that the Occupy Wall St protests are being staged by the left to draw attention away from Obama. On top of calling gays 'godless' in 2004, this latest gust of wind from the pizzaman-turned-presidential-candidate ought to solidify his standing among the far-right. Unfortunately, most Americans don't share his opinion that the big banks are good guys (not that he'll get the nomination).

Herman Cain On Occupy Wall Street: 'If You Don't Have A Job And You're Not Rich, Blame Yourself' (VIDEO)

Asked by the Journal's Alan Murray about his thoughts on the demonstrations, which initially began in New York City and have since spread around the country, Cain responded:

"I don't have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself! ... It is not a person's fault if they succeeded, it is a person's fault if they failed."

Cain went on to admit that the banks had something to do with the economic crisis of 2008, but pointed out that it was now 2011, seemingly downplaying any lasting effects of the practices of big banks and Wall Street.

As USUAL--you left a paragraph out of what Cain stated.

Cain went on to admit that the banks had something to do with the economic crisis of 2008, but pointed out that it was now 2011, seemingly downplaying any lasting effects of the practices of big banks and Wall Street.

Yeah--How about that--Herman Cain believes in PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY!--

btw--I thought the tea partiers and the right were supposed to be RACISTS?--lol---Herman Cain is now tied for top spot next to Mitt Romney

I just caught this. You were saying something about leaving out a paragraph? The very paragraph that I didn't leave out? :lol::lol::lol: Jesus, talk about putting the cart before the horse. What a maroon.

Yah, blame yourself for being poor.

A better way to phrase it would be to take responsibility. There is endless opportunity in this country even in this economy. You have to clean yourself up and work your way up. That anyone who isn't serious about it and willing to do what it takes can't do it is complete crap. You cannot get people out of poverty by giving them money. That's why trillions spent on the war on poverty haven't changed poverty rates at all.

Poverty is not a choice, but the actions that lead to it are a choice. As are the actions that lead to getting out of poverty.

So...

So just to be clear, when Obama blamed W in 2008 for the job market because he's President, that doesn't mean that in 2012 the President will be blamed?

But the answer to your question is that if I don't go to the store and get groceries and my kids are hungry, then it's my fault, but I'd appreciate if your President didn't make it harder by letting the air out of my tires...

If standards are applied equally then yes....or you can have bush blame clinton and clinton blame bush and bush blame reagan and reagan (rip) blame carter and carter.................................. why is my sig line what it is again? :razz:

There is endless opportunity in this country even in this economy.

Funny, how Cain last night expounded on his controversial comments, and asserted that many of today's unemployed are so by no fault of their own. :eusa_whistle:

You have to clean yourself up and work your way up.

Sad, that your views show that you're starting with a prejudice, and that you believe that the prejudice is acceptable and accurate. You seem to need nothing in order to arrive at information, than to first decide what the conclusion is going to be, and then adhere to it.

That anyone who isn't serious about it and willing to do what it takes can't do it is complete crap.

Assuming I'm interpreting your bad grammar correctly, I believe that YOU are the one spewing the load of crap. You're invested with romantic notions about the US being paved with gold roads, etc. Your position amounts to saying that wanting and suffering equate success. It just ain't so.

Poverty is not a choice, but the actions that lead to it are a choice. As are the actions that lead to getting out of poverty.

I never knew people had a choice as to whom their parents would be. And I never knew that people had a choice as to how others would regard them or whether they would suffer for other people's prejudices regarding affluence. I never knew that people had a choice as to how much they would get paid, how much they would have to pay for college, etc. Well, know that I know all that things are going to be different.

See, I want to be a billionaire so fucking bad. By all the things I never had. I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine. Smiling next to Opera and the Queen. Every time I close my eyes I see my name in shining eyes. Yeah, I different city every night. I swear the world better prepare for when I'm a billionaire.

*I-dream-of-Jeanie nod*

Hey, look at that! I'm a billionaire! Okay folks I'm heading out. On this boat. I'm on a boat mother fucker's, take a look at me. Straight flowing on a boat on the deep blue sea. Busting five knots, wind ripping through my coat. You can't stop me mother fucker, 'cause I'm on a boat.

interesting how the video skips as he begins to address the question... almost like it was, 'doctored'.

In any case, he's right.

Here's the original quote being referenced...
Cain Tells Occupy Wall Street Protesters to 'Blame Yourself' - ABC News
"Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself!" Cain said. "It is not a person's fault because they succeeded, it is a person's fault if they failed. And so this is why I don't understand these demonstrations and what is it that they're looking for."

and here's his further clarification...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/herman-cain-says-blame-yourself-comment-was-only-directed-at-occupy-wall-street-protesters/2011/10/11/gIQA6JF2dL_blog.html
Herman Cain said Tuesday that he was referring to the Wall Street protesters and not all poor and unemployed people when he urged people to “blame yourself” for their economic hardships.

At the Washington Post-Bloomberg News debate, Cain said his comment that poor and unemployed people should blame themselves for their lot in life was directed specifically at the Occupy Wall Street protesters currently camping out in New York City and in Washington.

“Not that 14 million people who are out of work through no reason of their own, other than that the economy’s not growing,” Cain said. “It should be the failed policies of this administration — not Wall Street — is what they should be protesting.”

sounds perfectly reasonable. unless of course you prefer to have everything handed to you on a silver platter and not take personal responsibility for anything in your life.

They cheered for the death penalty, booed a gay service member, and now they're cheerfully blaming the unemployed for being unemployed. Such nice people.

They cheered for the death penalty, booed a gay service member, and now they're cheerfully blaming the unemployed for being unemployed. Such nice people.

lying sack of shit. A few people cheered the death penalty... a ffew people booed the QUESTION of a gay service member, not the man himself.

You're a loser, and a complete partisan hack. No one here takes you even the least bit seriously. You're the new, black TM. Congrats.

Forum List

Back