🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

California Electric Car Maker CODA Files For Chapter 11, Sold Only 100 Cars

Wasn't MT Car of the year like the Volt- done on the cheap. Since you're not crowing about Obama giving it money....

Only on your planet is a $40,000+ car "cheap"...especially when you can get the car it's based on (minus the electric stuff) for about $20K!

Another one bites the dust.

Electric car maker CODA Holdings Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday after selling just 100 cars and said it plans to quit the auto business altogether.

The Los Angeles-based parent of CODA Automotive filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in federal court in Delaware. A consortium of debtors plans to acquire CODA for $25 million, according to a company statement.

The company’s statement said it plans to concentrate on CODA Energy, an energy storage business founded two years ago, and exit the automotive business.

“CODA Energy’s products are based on the same core battery management technology found in its vehicles adapted for stationary applications,” the statement said. “One of the company’s installations in San Francisco, for example, helps a large hotel integrate solar power efficiently and avoid peak electricity charges.”

The 4-year-old company now has 40 workers. It furloughed around 50 but expects to call them back when the sale is completed.

CODA is the latest casualty in an electric vehicle market that has struggled to lure consumers who are skeptical of the short battery life, high price, and a lack of infrastructure that can require recharging stops of several hours on long trips.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/05/01/calif-electric-car-maker-coda-files-for-chapter-11-sold-only-100-cars/

Oil is the ruling king right now, and gasoline-run cars have all of the infrastructure support anyone could need.

No doubt that it's going to be tough for electric cars to break into the market, but I don't think we should take these bankruptcies as a sign that "this is a dumb idea" - because it isn't.

The fact is that our current primary fuel source - oil - is finite and is going to run out some day. We either begin taking steps towards something else today and prepare ourselves, or we hit the fucking wall somewhere down the road when China, India become fully developed nations and consume these resources at 4x the rate America is doing today.

Not sure if your intent with posting this article is to convince us that there's no other way but oil (? - correct me if I'm wrong), but I just want to say that I think your head's in the wrong place.

Let's face it, we live in a free market and the best they could do was sell one hundred electric cars before filing for protection under our bankruptcy Laws. Either their cars absolutely suck, or the loony left aren't putting their money where their mouths are. I'd suspect it's a lot of both.

I fail to understand how a battery can be more expensive to make than an internal combustion engine.

Can someone explain?

Well, here's some info:

1.) The Tesla company says on their website, that their medium-sized Tesla Model S can go 220 miles on its 85 kilowatt-hour battery. That's at a steady speed of 75mph on a freeway, fairly easy driving conditions, not hot-rodding around (a Tesla is quite a hot rod if you push it).

2.) A typical battery cell that can be used in a high-power application like an electric car, is the Headway 40152 lithium-ion cell. It's a 48 watt-hour cell, costs $23 each, and weighs 1.06 pounds. It's pretty much the latest cutting-edge technology, as far as mass-produced rechargeable electric power goes.

From that you can figure out how many of these cells it would take to make a battery that would push a Tesla-like car 220 miles at 75mph. How much would that battery cost, and how much would it weigh?

Who can get the right answers first?

And, do you see now why electric cars aren't practical?

Last edited:
Extra-credit questions:

1.) If your ordinary gasoline-powered car is nearly out of gas, you can refill it in about 10 minutes at a gas station. If your electric car (above) is nearly out of power, and you wanted to recharge it in ten minutes by plugging it into a normal household socket (115 Volts), how many Amps would have to flow for those ten minutes to charge it all the way up again?

2.) How many Amps can most normal household sockets (115 Volts) provide?

3.) If your household socket is providing its maximum normal current (see Question 2), how long would it take to recharge the electric car we're talking about?

Last edited:
I fail to understand how a battery can be more expensive to make than an internal combustion engine.

Can someone explain?

Well, here's some info:

1.) The Tesla company says on their website, that their medium-sized Tesla Model S can go 220 miles on its 85 kilowatt-hour battery. That's at a steady speed of 75mph on a freeway, fairly easy driving conditions, not hot-rodding around (a Tesla is quite a hot rod if you push it).

2.) A typical battery cell that can be used in a high-power application like an electric car, is the Headway 40152 lithium-ion cell. It's a 48 watt-hour cell, costs $23 each, and weighs 1.06 pounds. It's pretty much the latest cutting-edge technology, as far as mass-produced rechargeable electric power goes.

From that you can figure out how many of these cells it would take to make a battery that would push a Tesla-like car 220 miles at 75mph. How much would that battery cost, and how much would it weigh?

any company named telsa I am so interested in. because he got fucked over by: [write in the blanks]..... the dude was a genius.

Another one bites the dust.

Electric car maker CODA Holdings Inc. filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday after selling just 100 cars and said it plans to quit the auto business altogether.

The Los Angeles-based parent of CODA Automotive filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in federal court in Delaware. A consortium of debtors plans to acquire CODA for $25 million, according to a company statement.

The company’s statement said it plans to concentrate on CODA Energy, an energy storage business founded two years ago, and exit the automotive business.

“CODA Energy’s products are based on the same core battery management technology found in its vehicles adapted for stationary applications,” the statement said. “One of the company’s installations in San Francisco, for example, helps a large hotel integrate solar power efficiently and avoid peak electricity charges.”

The 4-year-old company now has 40 workers. It furloughed around 50 but expects to call them back when the sale is completed.

CODA is the latest casualty in an electric vehicle market that has struggled to lure consumers who are skeptical of the short battery life, high price, and a lack of infrastructure that can require recharging stops of several hours on long trips.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/05/01/calif-electric-car-maker-coda-files-for-chapter-11-sold-only-100-cars/

And how many Whippets do you see on the street today?

Can someone explain?

Well, here's some info:

In 1900, the ICE was not practical for most applications. In 1920, they were being used all over the world.

One more major improvement in battery technology, and the EV will go head to head with the ICE.

Can someone explain?

Well, here's some info:

In 1900, the ICE was not practical for most applications. In 1920, they were being used all over the world.

One more major improvement in battery technology, and the EV will go head to head with the ICE.

The ICE didn't have to violate the laws of thermodynamics to be practical. A NiCad battery that weighs a ton stores less energy than a gallon of gasoline. Until you can solve that problem, electric cars will be toys, not useful technology, and that doesn't even resolve the problem of where all the energy to charge them will come from.

Last edited:
Cons celebrating a failure of progress for alternative energy .... living up the very word conservative, which is to avoid change.

It is not progress when it is inefficient, not cost effective, more pollutant to manufacture, and unreliable

I celebrate when progress as made.. Tesla has made a hell of a vehicle, though I have ridden and one but won't pay a 100K pricetag for one... Not that it is any energy, money, or pollution saver, but it is cool

Personally waiting (and I have been for a long time) for the diesel hybrid technology to come along and get perfected... but until then, 1SUV for the family, my wife's new Subaru AWD, my daughter's Kia beater, a recreational motorcycle, and my diesel commuter.. you won't catch me in these bogus electric (and many times government subsidized) wastes of money

Can someone explain?

Well, here's some info:

Already did: electric cars were around in the early 20th century. Gee, wonder which one was more successful?

I'm very much looking forward to moving to alternative energies and electric cars.

When they're ready.

They're not ready yet, obviously, even when propped up by the gubmit. It is what it is.

Rocket technology was not ready for private investment since I was born. Governments proped it up. And today, we have companies actually making a profit building and launching them.

I'm very much looking forward to moving to alternative energies and electric cars.

When they're ready.

They're not ready yet, obviously, even when propped up by the gubmit. It is what it is.

Rocket technology was not ready for private investment since I was born. Governments proped it up. And today, we have companies actually making a profit building and launching them.

Rocket technology started out with purely private investment. Government only got involved when it became obvious it was useful for weapons.

Electric cars are useless.

Last edited:

When they're ready.

great post....i dont have a problem with them, except they suck and libtards want to herd us into them or public transportation.....

but once they are usefull, I'm game

Cons celebrating a failure of progress for alternative energy .... living up the very word conservative, which is to avoid change.

LOL, you think alternative energy is better right now? nope....

and I'll ask you what I asked lakhota, which type of energy do you prefer?

Forum List

Back