California is officially insane!

Every year my children, who attend a California public school, hear about the contributions of Martin Luther King and Cesar Chavez. What's wrong with also learning about the contributions of, say, Harvey Milk?

And yet if he were black , it WOULD be discussed during Black History Month. California is already required to include minority contributions in their Social Studies curriculum. This is just ADDING another minority.

Growing up a gay kid, I can tell you that I would have loved to learn about the contributions of LGBT Americans.

Nice reply. I understand wanting to know about contributions. Now when sex is the invention I might come around. Until then I dont need to know, my family doesnt need to know.

I have several members of my family that are gay. My all time favorite aunt is gay. When I was 14 my mother told me she was gay. Turns out just bi.

But sexual orientation has nothing to do with invention.

This topic is an interest to you for the obvious reasons. So tell me about the inventions or the ideas that changed america, invention and ideas so profound I need to know how they swing.........................

Social studies classes have nothing to do with "invention" either. Do you object to talking about other minorities or just THIS one?

I have no issuses it being discussed in social studies classes. Now tell me how often kindergartners engage in such topics.

Especially if you replace those social studies with nothing.

What? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. The problems facing California schools has NOTHING to do with the curriculum...unless you count "No Child Left Behind" and the standardized tests (which, by the way, don't focus on Social Studies or Science much at all)

Curriculum like that being adopted in California is NOT the problem.

Of course it is. The schools are teaching nothing but how to feel good! The standardized tests don't count because the schools LIE about the test scores. California pioneered grade inflation. California high school graduates can't read, they can't do simple arithmetic, they know nothing of history, either ours or the worlds. They can't find the nation on a geographical map. We graduate dolts. Who then can't find a job, MOSTLY because they can't read the want ads. You think that the cirriculum has nothing to do with this? That's bizarre. It begs only one question. How come California had a stellar educational record BEFORE these changes in the ciricculum?

To compound the abysmal lack of education in primary and secondary schools, colleges and universities have courses that are easy, fluffy, but prepare students to do nothing. Not only are the courses meaningless, but if a student for some reason fails even those, they can apply for a passing grade after failing and get it. Then they complain that they have a college degree and can't find a job. Most times they STILL can't read.

Minority discussions during Social Studies isn't the problem.

Just Schools California: The Crisis

Nice reply. I understand wanting to know about contributions. Now when sex is the invention I might come around. Until then I dont need to know, my family doesnt need to know.

I have several members of my family that are gay. My all time favorite aunt is gay. When I was 14 my mother told me she was gay. Turns out just bi.

But sexual orientation has nothing to do with invention.

This topic is an interest to you for the obvious reasons. So tell me about the inventions or the ideas that changed america, invention and ideas so profound I need to know how they swing.........................

Social studies classes have nothing to do with "invention" either. Do you object to talking about other minorities or just THIS one?

I have no issuses it being discussed in social studies classes. Now tell me how often kindergartners engage in such topics.

The Kindergarteners in my children's school learn about MLK and Cesar Chavez.

Every year my children, who attend a California public school, hear about the contributions of Martin Luther King and Cesar Chavez. What's wrong with also learning about the contributions of, say, Harvey Milk?

If you think that replacing core subjects with these contributions will make your children more competitive in a world market, nothing. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Your children will be competing with highly educated and prepared Asians and Indians. The executives looking for educated and capable employees won't care at all about the contributions of Harvey Millk (which was nothing by the way).

The WORST part is that American students, especially in California, have a reputation of being stupid imposed on them so that they are assumed to be dolts whether they are or not. Getting into and getting along in an Asian/Indian dominated technological school like UC Irvine is impossible. Americans are likely to be shunted off to less demanding universities like UC Riverside.

Great , no issues there, Did you tell them how they swing? After all the calif legislation states it should and will be taught to this age group.

What are the advantages?

If you think that replacing core subjects with these contributions will make your children more competitive in a world market, nothing. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Your children will be competing with highly educated and prepared Asians and Indians. The executives looking for educated and capable employees won't care at all about the contributions of Harvey Millk (which was nothing by the way).

So what you are saying is that we should cut out ALL social studies since they don't help in a "global market"? Guess that goes for the Arts too? What about sports programs? How do they help in a "global market"?

Tell me about the Japanese school curriculum. Do they exclude the arts and social studies? How about in places that are tops in education like Finland? Do they exclude anything that doesn't help them in the "global market"?

And yet if he were black , it WOULD be discussed during Black History Month. California is already required to include minority contributions in their Social Studies curriculum. This is just ADDING another minority.

Growing up a gay kid, I can tell you that I would have loved to learn about the contributions of LGBT Americans.
with internet these days what about learning this stuff on your own free time, instead of shoving it down the throats of people who do not want to know about it. :cuckoo:

Do you feel the same way about Black History month? Native American History month? Should those topics not be discussed in California schools either or just this one?
No, because that is part of our history. other peoples sexual orientation is not!

Great , no issues there, Did you tell them how they swing? After all the calif legislation states it should and will be taught to this age group.

What are the advantages?

Their minority status IS discussed. When do we talk about their contributions? Usually during Hispanic American history month or Black History month. Why would you object to talking about the contributions of LGBT Americans if these other minorities are discussed?

I've already mentioned the advantages. It is an advantage, first, to the gay kid that gets to hear about people like him and their contributions to America. It is an advantage in the classroom to open discussions like these where kids can talk through them. Talking about these issues in class does have a positive effect:

• Having a Gay-Straight Alliance in school was related to more positive experiences for LGBT students, including: hearing fewer homophobic remarks, less victimization because of sexual orientation and gender expression, less absenteeism because of safety concerns and a greater sense of belonging to the school community.
  • The presence of supportive staff contributed to a range of positive indicators including fewer reports of missing school, fewer reports of feeling unsafe, greater academic achievement, higher educational aspirations and a greater sense of school belonging.
  • Students attending schools with an anti-bullying policy that included protections based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity/expression heard fewer homophobic remarks, experienced lower levels of victimization related to their sexual orientation, were more likely to report that staff intervened when hearing homophobic remarks and were more likely to report incidents of harassment and assault to school staff than students at schools with a general policy or no policy.

So, what's the disadvantage?

with internet these days what about learning this stuff on your own free time, instead of shoving it down the throats of people who do not want to know about it. :cuckoo:

Do you feel the same way about Black History month? Native American History month? Should those topics not be discussed in California schools either or just this one?
No, because that is part of our history. other peoples sexual orientation is not!

So are the contributions of gays and lesbians. They, too, are part of our history. Why discuss MLK and not Harvey Milk?

What are the advantages?

Their minority status IS discussed. When do we talk about their contributions? Usually during Hispanic American history month or Black History month. Why would you object to talking about the contributions of LGBT Americans if these other minorities are discussed?

I've already mentioned the advantages. It is an advantage, first, to the gay kid that gets to hear about people like him and their contributions to America. It is an advantage in the classroom to open discussions like these where kids can talk through them. Talking about these issues in class does have a positive effect:

• Having a Gay-Straight Alliance in school was related to more positive experiences for LGBT students, including: hearing fewer homophobic remarks, less victimization because of sexual orientation and gender expression, less absenteeism because of safety concerns and a greater sense of belonging to the school community.
  • The presence of supportive staff contributed to a range of positive indicators including fewer reports of missing school, fewer reports of feeling unsafe, greater academic achievement, higher educational aspirations and a greater sense of school belonging.
  • Students attending schools with an anti-bullying policy that included protections based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity/expression heard fewer homophobic remarks, experienced lower levels of victimization related to their sexual orientation, were more likely to report that staff intervened when hearing homophobic remarks and were more likely to report incidents of harassment and assault to school staff than students at schools with a general policy or no policy.

Do you discuss the orientation of the others? NO!!! Gay in not a race, but a medical condition.

What are the advantages?

Do you discuss the orientation of the others? NO!!! Gay in not a race, but a medical condition.

No, both are innate traits people are BORN with. What's the disadvantage of discussing the contributions of gays and lesbians just like we discuss the contributions of other minorities?

How is knowing about the obscure gay person who did something that wasn't terribly important going to help make these kids better workers?

I could ask the same about Phys Ed classes.

Schools need to stop the political indoctrination bullshit and get back to the basics. Teach them to read, write, do math, and know some simple science and basic history.

Well, what the law is requiring is lessons on history, so... :eusa_whistle:

So are the contributions of gays and lesbians. They, too, are part of our history. Why discuss MLK and not Harvey Milk?

What people do between the sheets is NONE Of our freaking business period@

Uh, no, probably not.

I'm always amazed at people who completely forget what they were like in High School or how teenagers actually think.

I grew up in a small town with alot of rednecks. I remember how the kids back then used to think. Most of them thought that being gay HAD to be bad because that's what daddy said.

No, both are innate traits people are BORN with. What's the disadvantage of discussing the contributions of gays and lesbians just like we discuss the contributions of other minorities?

Medical condition might not have been the best description available, but you did understand what I meant. What have they accomplished? What significant contribution have they made that warrants a place in history?

Is your stupid a medical condition too?

It is a medical condition . Both sexes are on this earth to reproduce either by god or by science or what ever you believe. If your in a same sex relationship that will not happen naturally.. Just like transgender people are trapped in the wrong body is a medical condition. Something in your DNA makes you gay. Since most gays say they would not have chosen to be GAY since they say its not a choice that is how your born then its a medical condition!

Forum List

Back