California should learn from Texas on how to solve homeless people

Good idea...but it wouldn't work in California the garbage men Unions would fight tooth and nail to save their 75 grand a year jobs. .

Fort Worth is paying their homeless to pick up trash. Should Houston follow suit?

Fort Worth is paying their homeless to pick up trash. Should Houston follow suit?

An innovative program in Fort Worth is paying homeless people to pick up trash, NBC 5 reports.

The relatively new initiative called the Clean Slate Program is a joint effort between the city and a local homeless shelter.

"Our goal is to break the cycle of homelessness by providing steady employment that restores dignity and provides hope," details the shelter website.

Homeless guests at the shelter that pick up trash can earn $10 an hour.
I think its a great idea- but it doesn't 'solve homeless people' as your title says- it employs 40 people in Houston.

And as pointed out- your claim that it couldn't happen in California was just your ignorance and bias speaking.

It was a FB thing posted it in the spirit of the other two threads, I got burned before I dug deeper..

Not to be a total jerk- because you are sort of admitting your mistake here- but when I said - your claim that it couldn't happen in California was just your ignorance and bias speaking- I was clearly correct.

We have all been there. Perhaps a cautionary tale to all of us to a) check the facts and b) think if our posts are perhaps overly biased- before we post.

To fact check this one you would have to really research it on who started it.. but yea I was wrong with the title ..

But there for the grace of God goes any of you, who sit in judgement and claim most homeless are drunks or druggies. Until it has happened to you, STFU.

Most people are one or two terrible decisions away from a radical change in their lives; for better or for worse. What money and to a lesser extent other resources be it influence, friends, position, or endowment do is cushion the blow of bad decisions. Once knew a woman who was a friend of my mother’s. Had a nice house, good husband, was doing very well. Hubby died (her 3rd—the other two died while on active duty in the military), was lonely, became friends with a Tennessee truck driver and decided to hit the road with him at the age of 55 or whatever she was. Sold her house that she owned free and clear. When he retired, she took her nest egg and bought a restaurant that lasted about 8 months. Last I heard she was living alone in Tennessee at an apartment above a florist shop, working there part time. IF she’s happy, fine….but had she not decided to cast her lot with the driver, she would probably still be living in the house and enjoying her children who all live not far from where they grew up.

Exactly, it's like at the hotel I am staying at for work in NC a guy asked me for a cigar and we started to talk he asked me what I was doing here and I asked him the same...his wife kicked him out of his house..

Or when I was in Ohio a few week's ago, this guy was talking to me staying at the hotel because no one in town would rent to him because of his bad credit.. it's weird that hotel had a weekly rate of $600 bucks.. $2400 A month , he could afford that with his wife yet no one would rent him a $600 A month apartment.

Good idea...but it wouldn't work in California the garbage men Unions would fight tooth and nail to save their 75 grand a year jobs. .

An innovative program in Fort Worth is paying homeless people to pick up trash, NBC 5 reports.

The relatively new initiative called the Clean Slate Program is a joint effort between the city and a local homeless shelter.

"Our goal is to break the cycle of homelessness by providing steady employment that restores dignity and provides hope," details the shelter website.

Half the people you see sleeping out side in cali are not homeless they just had to much to drink. The weather is pretty good out there not much feer of sleeping out side there. When I lived there if ya wnet to beach party and had to much to drink, fuck it sleep on he beach!

Sure thing, beach, park bench, bus bench, side walk, gutter...they're all good.

Half the people you see sleeping out side in cali are not homeless they just had to much to drink. The weather is pretty good out there not much feer of sleeping out side there. When I lived there if ya wnet to beach party and had to much to drink, fuck it sleep on he beach!

What, y'all ain't got no skeeters?

By the second week skeeters stay away...LOL.

Hmm?

Ex worked as a trash truck operator. The stuff he brought home was AMAZING. Pool tables all ornate from the richie areas, marble top tables they just tossed in the dumpster, jewelry in jewelry boxes and it was NOT junk stuff either and a multitude of other expensive stuff. Wish I was younger..I'd love to have that job!

Interesting. The homeless create a never ending job via their own garbage from what I can tell looking at California.

Don’t be silly….

We just heard for 8 years that government doesn’t create jobs.

Government is throwing trash out into public places ?

Who knew....

Well, I guess every time I turn on CSpan....it's pretty much bullshit.

I think its a great idea- but it doesn't 'solve homeless people' as your title says- it employs 40 people in Houston.

And as pointed out- your claim that it couldn't happen in California was just your ignorance and bias speaking.

It was a FB thing posted it in the spirit of the other two threads, I got burned before I dug deeper..

Not to be a total jerk- because you are sort of admitting your mistake here- but when I said - your claim that it couldn't happen in California was just your ignorance and bias speaking- I was clearly correct.

We have all been there. Perhaps a cautionary tale to all of us to a) check the facts and b) think if our posts are perhaps overly biased- before we post.

To fact check this one you would have to really research it on who started it.. but yea I was wrong with the title ..

A cautionary tale to all of us.

Brits, not Canadians.

There's a difference?
Lol, now? Yes.

At the time they were Brits.

They're still subjects.
Naw, not since like the 1940s.

Hmm?
Very few skeeters in california not enough water for them. Plenty of snails though, you go out at night and ya here crunch with about every step. Red ants also a pain in the area. Skeeters not so much!

Forum List

Back