Calling all Warmers and Lukewarmers

SSDD

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2012
I would be interested in seeing your explanations WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of GHE and the AGW hypothesis as to why (lattitude and altitude being roughly equal) deserts are hotter than rain forests.

I would be interested in seeing your explanations WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of GHE and the AGW hypothesis as to why (lattitude and altitude being roughly equal) deserts are hotter than rain forests.

Are they necessarly hotter?

The Gobi is a cold desert, with frost and occasionally snow occurring on its dunes. Besides being quite far north, it is also located on a plateau roughly 910–1,520 metres (2,990–4,990 ft) above sea level, which contributes to its low temperatures. An average of approximately 194 millimetres (7.6 in) of rain falls annually in the Gobi. Additional moisture reaches parts of the Gobi in winter as snow is blown by the wind from the Siberian Steppes. These winds cause the Gobi to reach extremes of temperature ranging from –40°C (–40°F) in winter to +50°C (122°F) in summer.[3]
The climate of the Gobi is one of great extremes, combined with rapid changes of temperature of as much as 35 °C (63 °F). These can occur not only seasonally but within 24 hours.

Gobi Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are they necessarly hotter?

The Gobi is a cold desert, with frost and occasionally snow occurring on its dunes. Besides being quite far north, it is also located on a plateau roughly 910–1,520 metres (2,990–4,990 ft) above sea level, which contributes to its low temperatures. An average of approximately 194 millimetres (7.6 in) of rain falls annually in the Gobi. Additional moisture reaches parts of the Gobi in winter as snow is blown by the wind from the Siberian Steppes. These winds cause the Gobi to reach extremes of temperature ranging from –40°C (–40°F) in winter to +50°C (122°F) in summer.[3]
The climate of the Gobi is one of great extremes, combined with rapid changes of temperature of as much as 35 °C (63 °F). These can occur not only seasonally but within 24 hours.

Gobi Desert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How many tropical rain forests are above 30 degrees north? Are Warner's so weaseally that every thing must be drawn in crayon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Not all rain forest are "tropical" or hot and neither are all deserts, kiddo

I live in a rain forest right here in temperate Maine.

FWIW the GOBI desert (42.5900° N, 103.4300° E) and I in Searsport Maine (44.4583° N, 68.9247° W) have rather similar temperature ranges.

FWIW the GOBI desert (42.5900° N, 103.4300° E) and I in Searsport Maine (44.4583° N, 68.9247° W) have rather similar temperature ranges.

Don't suppose the proximity to the ocean is a factor?

Two factors make hot deserts hot.

Lack of moisture, no heat removed by evaporation.

Very little cloud cover, so nearly 100% sunlight all the time.

If you using the Global Annual Mean type metric for temp.. You get higher day temps and lower night temps in a typical desert. (than in a typical rain forest).

So the "average" is a diff story.. In fact --- My contention is -- the average is USELESS to describe "climate".

Gotta specify WHAT temp metric you want to consider when you spec "hotter"....

But water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas. Rain forests should warmer with all that greenhouse gas. We are working within the framework of the GHE and AGW hypotheses here. Remember?

If you using the Global Annual Mean type metric for temp.. You get higher day temps and lower night temps in a typical desert. (than in a typical rain forest).

So the "average" is a diff story.. In fact --- My contention is -- the average is USELESS to describe "climate".

Don't worry. I didn't really expect an answer anyway. I could have predicted the answers I have got so far

Don't worry. I didn't really expect an answer anyway. I could have predicted the answers I have got so far

Don't give up so soon..

Define "hotter".... Highs? Lows? Average? Controlled for humidity?

Last edited:
I guess it must have pissed you off that your amazing new thought was shot down in flames so quickly

I guess it must have pissed you off that your amazing new thought was shot down in flames so quickly

Of course not. I'm not even disappointed. I expected either crickets chirping or mucho weaseling. I got exactly what I expected. As far as flames go, better check yourself...you are smoking.

There is no explanation within the framework of the GHE/AGW hypothesis.

Don't give up so soon..

Define "hotter".... Highs? Lows? Average? Controlled for humidity?

Why would I give up? I got exactly what I expected. You gave up as soon as you started weaseling and so long as you continue to weasel, you continue to lose.

Simply acknowledge that there is no explanation within the framework of the GHE/AGW hypothesis and you win.

But water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas. Rain forests should warmer with all that greenhouse gas.

Whatever gave you such a stupid idea?

We are working within the framework of the GHE and AGW hypotheses here.

Yep. Works fine there. Your bizarre strawman of AGW theory has a problem with it, but that's solely your problem.

Your dumb strawman here declares that greenhouse effect is the only thing that matters. Since AGW theory doesn't state anything that stupid, your strawman has nothing to do with AGW theory.

It's not difficult. Even your'e capable of grasping it. But as you're pathologically incapable of admitting any of your numerous hilarious errors, you're just going to piss yourself in rage again, declare victory and run from any actual discussion. Same old same old.

Last edited:

Of course not. I'm not even disappointed. I expected either crickets chirping or mucho weaseling. I got exactly what I expected. As far as flames go, better check yourself...you are smoking.

There is no explanation within the framework of the GHE/AGW hypothesis.

Are you asserting there IS or IS not a differential warming in these areas due to GHE/AGW? And still need a defination of "hotter"...

I'm not even sure what the actual analysis says --- except for anecdotes about tropical warming being less than higher lats due to AGW.. You told us to disregard lattitude...

Not poking fun.. Not being difficult.. Just trying to understand the question...

Already told you that if you consider "averages" the deserts MIGHT NOT be hotter than jungles.

Last edited:

But water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas. Rain forests should warmer with all that greenhouse gas. We are working within the framework of the GHE and AGW hypotheses here. Remember?

Ever been in the jungles of southeast Asia? The Philippines? Borneo? Papua New Guinea? Congo? The Amazon? Gets pretty frigggn hot in those forests.

Yes these fruitloops all imagine deserts to be continually hot, and rain forests to be tropical. We have rain forests in both Oregon and Washington, California also. Not tropical, and not hot. Our high deserts are very cold in the winter, and very hot in the summer.

Seems vast ignorance is their specialty.

Ever been in the jungles of southeast Asia? The Philippines? Borneo? Papua New Guinea? Congo? The Amazon? Gets pretty frigggn hot in those forests.

Sure it does. But not as hot as deserts along the same latitude.

Yes these fruitloops all imagine deserts to be continually hot, and rain forests to be tropical. We have rain forests in both Oregon and Washington, California also. Not tropical, and not hot. Our high deserts are very cold in the winter, and very hot in the summer.

Seems vast ignorance is their specialty.

Seems that you specialize in both ignorance and illiteracy. Did I not specifically say latitude and altitude being equal?

As far as imagination goes, you imagine that some proof of AGW resides in those bits of dogma that you invariably link to just before you run away from a conversation. You run because you know you will be asked where the proof might be found and you know you can't answer.

If asked, I could have predicted that you and mamooth would offer up ad hominems rather than any actual explanation within the framework of the GHE/AGW hypothesis. It seems to be your speciality.

Forum List

Back