Can an AI system Fly a plane?, with AI, take off and landing??

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
My question, is there an AI auto pilot system , that can Take off fly, and land a commercial airliner.? All by it self, without any onboard pilot input, or help?? Your responses. Or if both Pilot, and co pilot or navigator, become incapacitated??

Drones can do that now without AI. I'm sure there are R and D programs for autonomous take off and landing of commercial aircraft but it will be a LONG TIME before those programs are flight certified.

Drones can do that now without AI. I'm sure there are R and D programs for autonomous take off and landing of commercial aircraft but it will be a LONG TIME before those programs are flight certified.
When do you think such an AI auto pilot system, will be available?, what do you mean, a long time before such an AI autopilot system, that can take off , fly and land a plane, becomes flight certified for flight.??, Shouldn't this type of AI auto pilot system be available now, what if both Pilot, and co pilot, and navigator becomes incapacitated in the cockpit.!?, who or what will fly the aircraft.??!!.We need this AI auto pilot system Now!!?? in the cockpit.!!?? of todays airliners.!!!??

Last edited:
My question, is there an AI auto pilot system , that can Take off fly, and land a commercial airliner.? All by it self, without any onboard pilot input, or help?? Your responses. Or if both Pilot, and co pilot or navigator, become incapacitated??
They have an F-16 that has done it, but civilian is going to be much longer in coming me thinks. We are going to first need an air traffic control system that is run off it.

My question, is there an AI auto pilot system , that can Take off fly, and land a commercial airliner.? ...

I guess that's more easy for an AS (artifical stupidity) than to drive with a car from Munich to NY while not yodeling. Or to drive bike and to throw a newspaper directly into the eye of the neighbor because it's the same to read and to throw letters into an eye - what's by the way also the deeper reason why the neighbor learned to yodel. So every AI learns: to be a yodel or not - that's the question.

Last edited:
They tried to get AI to fly the Boeings and they kept dropping out of the sky down to the ground killing everyone on board.

When do you think such an AI auto pilot system, will be available?, what do you mean, a long time before such an AI autopilot system, that can take off , fly and land a plane, becomes flight certified for flight.??, Shouldn't this type of AI auto pilot system be available now, what if both Pilot, and co pilot, and navigator becomes incapacitated in the cockpit.!?, who or what will fly the aircraft.??!!.We need this AI auto pilot system Now!!?? in the cockpit.!!?? of todays airliners.!!!??

Flight certification for commercial airborne systems whose failure can result in death are the most rigorous testing program in existence. It takes years to fully certify. My guess is there will first be a system certified to autonomously land a jet and then phase in the rest of the autonomous control.

Yes. Has been for years. It's not AI directed, but the only reason for the pilots is as a backup.

The problem with the 737MAX is Boeing tried to dumb the system down so far to accommodate poorly trained foreign pilots, that they compromised to overall avionics suite.

Forum List

Back