Can blacks govern themselves?

Black civilization is the oldest in the world: started about 100,000 years ago. And Black people will out-live whites by millions of years; while the absolute number of white people is going down, the Black population is growing exponentially, especially in Africa. You white folks can learn a lesson from the noble Black people.

It has been interesting to read the comments about Detroit of late. Well, some of the comments. Most of them are uninformed crap, which is not surprising because most posters don't live in Detroit and have no real understanding of the issues the city faces. Even though some of them Google a few articles that support their viewpoint and post them like they've considered it, most don't. Most are just partizan hacks, or racists, or too lazy to bother trying to become informed.

But one of the charges I've seen laid at Detroit's door time and again is that blacks can't govern themselves, a view particularly attached to Detroit after 40 years of having black Mayor after black Mayor. It's an interesting viewpoint and it is hard to argue that when left to their own devices blacks won't fuck it up. There are multiple examples of countries around the world that live in abject poverty because of corruption or mismanagement.

But let's stick with the first world, rather than expanding it to take in the 3rd world, and ask a question about Detroit.

The city now has a white Mayor. It has an emergency manager who works for a white Governor. If the city does begin to turn around (and there are those that would argue the turn has started that it's one helluva big ship) it will conceivably generate the argument that it turned around when whites took control.

So, can blacks govern themselves? Let's not forget here that the blacks in question are Detroiters, many of whom never graduated high school, have never held a job, or are victims of crime. I saw a survey figure the other day that said over 80% of the Detroit teens surveyed knew a family member or friend who had been either wounded, disabled or killed as a result of gun violence in the last year. I have never known anyone in my life to be affected in this manner, let along the last year. I find the statistic staggering.

They also have limited access to the internet, don't or can't read the newspapers, so get all their news either from the TV, or their community peers, or community activists who have an agenda.

Perhaps, given those circumstances, it's easier to understand why in the absence of any reliable information they tend to listen to those who shout loudest and appeal to their basest instincts. It's actually not that different to spending a few hours on this board. Imagine if we all derived our opinions based on what we read here what a fucked up view of the world we would have.

The real fault, in my opinion, lies with those in the black community who style themselves as "leaders". The black community needs heroes, men and women who are well educated, thoughtful, not averse to discussion and compromise where needed. People who will make decisions based on what it right, rather than what is popular.

And of course these same leaders need to present a united front towards those among them whose actions bring the black community into disrepute, like Kwame Kilpatrick.

The black community has too few such individuals. They do exist, but the baby steps of progress never generate much attention from the media, and therefore are never held up on this board as examples of blacks who do it right. It's far easier to find a story about gang bangers, or corrupt officials, or political cronyism. And so the view is reinforced year after year, leaving the question unaddressed.

Can blacks govern themselves? Yes. Will they ever? That is perhaps the bigger question.

The problem starts with the people the black community, especially the one you describe, reveres as heroes. Sports figures whose crimes are legend. And those who the black community at large abhor as Uncle Toms and Oreos.

Black people also governed regions of West Africa so successfully that one of the Kings of the Mali empire is to date the wealthiest man for the last 1000 years. During this same time period they established one of the most prestigious centers of higher learning. The Sankore University in Timbuktu. Black people are natural born leaders.

The problem starts with the people the black community, especially the one you describe, reveres as heroes. Sports figures whose crimes are legend. And those who the black community at large abhor as Uncle Toms and Oreos.

The problem starts with not knowing who we are. Everything else is just a symptom of a larger problem. The overt omission of Black accomplishments from the historical record has taken a huge toll on the Black community.

The problem starts with not knowing who we are. Everything else is just a symptom of a larger problem. The overt omission of Black accomplishments from the historical record has taken a huge toll on the Black community.

I've noted a significant inclusion of black accomplishments in this country. I will agree that the black community has been duped and misled...mostly for political gain. I'd like to see the black community break free of the stranglehold the liberals have on them. (A lot of blacks I know are pretty conservative.)

I've noted a significant inclusion of black accomplishments in this country. I will agree that the black community has been duped and misled...mostly for political gain. I'd like to see the black community break free of the stranglehold the liberals have on them. (A lot of blacks I know are pretty conservative.)

Its getting better as far as inclusion but i've had to educate my childrens teachers on history a couple of times. Politically I don't subscribe to the liberal or conservative stance. I think Blacks would be better served being independents and not tied to a specific party. That way you can vote your best interest.

President Obama is considered the greatest American President in history, even greater than Washington and Lincoln, and he is Black. People of African descent seem to have an inborn wisdom not found in any other people.

Black people also governed regions of West Africa so successfully that one of the Kings of the Mali empire is to date the wealthiest man for the last 1000 years. During this same time period they established one of the most prestigious centers of higher learning. The Sankore University in Timbuktu. Black people are natural born leaders.

So powerful yet defeated by Europe.:eusa_eh: Defeated all the way down to nothing more then slaves to be used like animals. :(

I understand this empire was quite powerful but Africans didn't put up much of a fight.

Ethiopia was the only one to remain somewhat free as it did fight back.

Last edited:

That's no surprise at all. Many blacks "think" conservatively, based on beliefs taught in the black church, but vote democrat, mainly based on past events that still influence voting habits.
There is a vast difference between conservative and liberal belief systems and political party affiliation

The passage of the civil rights bill was a perfect example of that. It was not passed specifically based on it being driven by one political party.

It was passed by a combination of liberal(at the time) democrats and republicans.

It is my opinion that neither party currently represents a discernible interest in viable resolutions to issues that are present in predominately black communitities. Which is why I have always believed and was taught to believe that the only resolution to such issues has to be a self reliant grass roots movement, funded by capital produced by the black population.

Last edited:

So powerful yet defeated by Europe.:eusa_eh: Defeated all the way down to nothing more then slaves to be used like animals. :(

I understand this empire was quite powerful but Africans didn't put up much of a fight.

Why do white people equate power with war and trickery? Those empires were known more for their wealth and emphasis on education and spirituality. When you practice war and benefit from the Chinese showing you gunpowder of course you are going to be better a warfare.

You're confusing Brutality with Wisdom

(1) there is no question that many American "Blacks" can be successful at whatever they try. No reason why there couldn't be Black politicians who are "as good as White ones," recognizing that that is not setting the bar very high.

(2) Eastern Cities - like Detroit - have been devastated by white racism, in that the white middle class has abandoned them and moved to the suburbs, mainly so their kids wouldn't have to go to school with "n _ _ _ _ _ s." The white's that remain are mainly either poor or rich with a big hole in the middle. These cities would have declined no matter what the race of the mayor was. Look at my Pittsburgh: it is in the shitter and in receivership, but has always had white mayors and a white majority on City Council.

(3) City governments and city politics attract leeches - people who want to use their position for personal gain, whether it is through nepotism, corruption, or merely making a nice salary for doing next to nothing. Black & white have nothing to do with it. The Black politicians who rise to the top and become mayors and whatnot are simply the ones who are the best at feathering their own nests. One might mention Kwame Kirkpatrick, JJ Jr, and even going back as far as Adam Clayton Powell. They are in it for themselves, period. Which is why they are disasters as political leaders.

(4) Too many talented and capable "Black" people waste their time and efforts in bullshit endeavors, like being a "community organizer,"when they would be much better off (and ironically, do more for the community) by starting a business or going to work for a real company. There is no such thing as "giving back." It is a bullshit concept for losers.

Can Blacks govern themselves? Why not?

Some great points there. I would observe to some degree however that Detroit, and Pittsburgh, were both crippled my over-reliance on a single industry. Did the politicians play a role? Yes, but arguably they were happy to rely on the geese continuing to lay golden eggs. Stupidity, corruption, cronyism, avarice, short-sightedness, call it what you will, has no color boundary.

Its getting better as far as inclusion but i've had to educate my childrens teachers on history a couple of times. Politically I don't subscribe to the liberal or conservative stance. I think Blacks would be better served being independents and not tied to a specific party. That way you can vote your best interest.

That's true of everyone.

:lol:

Forum List

Back