Can Liberals Criticise Obama?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
If you are a liberal or Democrat, I' like to hear from you about what you do not like, or have not liked, about the Obama administration.

I'll go first -

1) Austerity. In Obama's first day in power five years ago, I thought he should have anounced austerity cuts, and big ones. He had the public support to actually go out and say "We're damn near broke" and slash a billion or so off spending. I didn't mind the Stim Pack per se, but I think spending cuts needed to go along side it.

2) Climate Change. Obama has been too passive on this. I'd like to have seen clearer statements of intent, backed by science ordinary people could understand, so that Americans could understand more of the issue.

3) Admitting Error. Maybe it's unreasonable, but with some of the scandals like 'Fast & Furious' I'd always like to see politicians admit that mistakes were made. I think people would respect it more than excuses.

4) Closing the revolving door between Goldman Sachs and the White House. Stop hiring people from lobbies, and put distance between lobbies and positions of responsibility.

5) Cut military spending. I'd like Obama to stand up to the military, and present a long term strategy of reducing spending massively, and converting the military into a force that can deal with guerillas and al Queda, and rely less on cold war thinking.

I was hoping for more bipartisanship. I know Bush threw that kind of thing out the window, but I think a two party state can only be successful if both parties are involved. That's not to say I don't approve of the job Obama's done. But the country is super divided and I would like for that to change.

I was hoping for more bipartisanship. I know Bush threw that kind of thing out the window, but I think a two party state can only be successful if both parties are involved. That's not to say I don't approve of the job Obama's done. But the country is super divided and I would like for that to change.

Excellent point, I agree.

I tend to blame the GOP for this more than Obama, but maybe back on his first day in power Obama could have really tried to open up a dialogue with the moderate limb of the GOP and offered them a couple of policy victories in order to establish common ground.

Of course Liberals can and do criticize Obama - but the smarter ones don't do it in public to give the rabid right unnecessary ammunition. I generally defend Obama rather than criticize him in public, but if I have worthwhile complaints - I email them to the DNC and White House.

Of course Liberals can and do criticize Obama - but the smarter ones don't do it in public to give the rabid right unnecessary ammunition. I generally defend Obama rather than criticize him in public, but if I have worthwhile complaints - I email them to the DNC and White House.

Sure - but something this board suffers from is a lack of "self-cricitism" (for want of a better term).

Maybe if we were all more open about the faults our representatives have or mistakes they make - it would also inspire more understanding from the other side of the aisle?

Sure - but something this board suffers from is a lack of "self-cricitism" (for want of a better term).

Maybe if we were all more open about the faults our representatives have or mistakes they make - it would also inspire more understanding from the other side of the aisle?

Surely you've seen enough on this board from the right to know that is HIGHLY unlikely. It's a full-time job just trying to debunk their bullshit. Just take a look at the board right now...

We can't even get consensus on where Obama was born...or if he's a U.S. citizen...

To: Barack Obama

My darling Barry, I love you , i yearn for you my sweetness. Please send me a glossy photo, a year's supply of lotion and an Obama phone

My darling Barry, I love you , i yearn for you my sweetness. Please send me a glossy photo, a year's supply of lotion and an Obama phone

Prime example. Thank you...

Prime example. Thank you...

agreed,

you give us ammunition on a daily basis with your obsequious fawning

Last edited:
obama-puppets-4.jpg

I got no problem with publically stating my criticisms of Obama. And unlike the "rights" criticism of him, I don't have to make mine up. My criticisms of this President, just like my criticisms of the last one, are based on their policies and actions in office, not on what I thought they were doing or who or what I thought they were.

My criticism of him and his Administration are as follows:
  • his "kill lists". Thinking he has the authority to kill any American, anywhere, at anytime, for any reason, is just disgusting.
  • refusing to investigate former Administration officials for war crimes.
  • continuing the neocon foreign policy agenda.
  • not fighting for the "public option" in the healthcare bill.
  • supporting "indefinate detention".
  • supporting "drone" warfare.
  • not enough liberal legislation.
  • too many compromises with the right.
  • kissing too much Israeli ass
  • expanding warrantless wire-tapping
Let's get one thing perfectly clear, Obama is NOT a liberal President. He's not a liberal. His policies are not on the left. He has no liberals in his Cabinet. He has too many former financial industry heavyweights in his treasury department.

Does anyone remember former WH press secretary Robert Gibbs going off on liberals just before a press conference? Saying we had to give Obama "more time" to enact the liberal policies he said he was going to do during his campaign. That we were too impatient with him and he couldn't get everything all done at once.

Truth is, he didn't do any of it and I personally took the "time" option off the table 18 months into his Presidency and formally stated I no longer support the policies of his Administration. That was over 3-1/2 years ago and I still don't.

The one thing to remember about Obama, more than anything else, is that he is a "POLITICAN!" Never forget that and you will always keep what he says and does in perspective.

And pay no intention to what the right says about him, because they make everything up about him anyway. Nothing they say about him is true. But that's true about anyone they talk about.

Last edited:

I got no problem with publically stating my criticisms of Obama. And unlike the "rights" criticism of him, I don't have to make mine up. My criticisms of this President, just like my criticisms of the last one, are based on their policies and actions in office, not on what I thought they were doing or who or what I thought they were.

• his "kill lists". Thinking he has the authority to kill any American, anywhere, at anytime, for any reason, is just disgusting.
    [*]not enough liberal legislation.
    [*]too many compromises with the right.
Let's get one thing perfectly clear, Obama is NOT a liberal President. He's not a liberal. His policies are not on the left. He has no liberals in his Cabinet. He has too many former financial industry heavyweights in his treasury department.

Does anyone remember former WH press secretary Robert Gibbs going off on liberals just before a press conference? Saying we had to give Obama "more time" to enact liberal policies, he said he was going to do during his campaign. That we were too impatient with him and he couldn't get everything all done at once.

Truth is, he didn't do any of it and I personally took the "time" option off the table 18 months into his Presidency and formally stated I no longer support the policies of his Administration. That was over 3-1/2 years ago and I still don't.

The one thing to remember about Obama, more than anything else, is that he is a "POLITICAN!" Never forget that and you will always keep what he says and does in perspective.

And pay no intention to what the right says about him, because they make everything up about him anyway. Nothing they say about him is true. But that's true about anyone they talk about.

hahahahaha

not left enough

• not enough liberal legislation.
  • too many compromises with the right.

Does anyone remember former WH press secretary Robert Gibbs going off on liberals just before a press conference? Saying we had to give Obama "more time" to enact the liberal policies he said he was going to do during his campaign. That we were too impatient with him and he couldn't get everything all done at once.

^ :clap2:

You forgot her free birth control.

drink some whiskey neat

I can hardly wait.
I can't drink whiskey anymore. It gets me in too many fights. I can handle too much beer, I just piss a lot. Too much wine leaves me waking up the next morning in a pool of my own vomit. But whiskey, puts me into this "WTF are you looking at" attitude where you take someone staring at you as a sign of aggression.

But I do miss Wild Turkey.

Forum List

Back