Can someone show me ONE liberal ideal that has actually worked?

☭proletarian☭;2197056 said:

President Franklin D. Roosevelt was concerned about American intelligence deficiencies. On the suggestion of Canadian/British spymaster William Stephenson, the senior British intelligence officer in the western hemisphere, Roosevelt requested that William J. Donovan draft a plan for an intelligence service.
:cool:

That doesn't make it liberal, any more than the invention of the atomic bomb makes nukes a liberal concept.

Somethings are politically neutral, and/or cross political lines (not quite the same thing). It doesn't matter who was sitting in the hot seat when they were instituted or were invented.

Could you clarify how the OSS qualifies as a liberal idea and not simply a military/intelligence strategy?

President Franklin D. Roosevelt was concerned about American intelligence deficiencies. On the suggestion of Canadian/British spymaster William Stephenson, the senior British intelligence officer in the western hemisphere, Roosevelt requested that William J. Donovan draft a plan for an intelligence service.

That doesn't make it liberal, any more than the invention of the atomic bomb makes nukes a liberal concept.

Somethings are politically neutral, and/or cross political lines (not quite the same thing). It doesn't matter who was sitting in the hot seat when they were instituted or were invented.
On a thread written by an idiot I may claim anything I wish. Don't tell me that cons wouldn't take credit if FDR was a Republican. They certainly take credit for freeing the slaves. :eusa_whistle:

On a thread written by an idiot I may claim anything I wish. Don't tell me that cons wouldn't take credit if FDR was a Republican. They certainly take credit for freeing the slaves. :eusa_whistle:

Sorry for trying to inject realism into the thread. Carry on.

Seems to me that we're back to assigning blame to somebody rather than discussing the thread topic.

For instance, using modern definitions for 'conservative' and 'liberal' in America, was abolition a 'conservative' or a 'liberal' concept? Modern American Conservatism is very big on personal liberties and unalienable rights.

Is Women's suffrage a 'conservative' or a 'liberal' concept. Modern American Conservatism draws no distinction between people based on any demographic and assigns unalienable rights to all.

So, I'm not sure you can now assign those as 'liberal' successes. I am prepared to have somebody show me how I'm wrong.

As usual, Conservatives grasp once liberal concepts and make them their own. What is liberal changes over time as liberals face new challenges and conservatives hold to old ideals

Civil rights too. lol

That guy's a moran.

morans.jpg

None.

Abolition was before modern liberals.

Civil rights movement? Nope. What would have occurred anyway took place only by enlarging the state and trampling on individual rights and property rights.

Democracy? Nope. Extending the franchise to anyone over 18 has meant a growing list of entitlements that will eventually bankrupt this country and end our government.

Abortion on demand? Nope. Sent the message that human life is cheap and expendable. Fail.
No fault divorce? Nope. Sent the message that relationships are cheap and expendable. Fail.
Great Society? Nope. We have spent trillions of dollars and people are poorer today in relative terms than they were in the 1950s.

Liberals have been total failures in anything they've touched. They were wrong about the Soviets. They were wrong about the Vietnam war. They have been wrong on every issue. If liberalism were a brand it would have been sued out of existence. If it were a product, it would have been recalled. If it were a business, it would have filed bankruptcy. If it were a dog, it would have been shot.

If you let us know what your definition of 'liberal' is, I would try to give an answer, 'Liberal' is so subjective in the USA. For example, I call myself a liberal because my views on social issues are very liberal. I also call myself a conservative because my views on fiscal issues are conservative for the most part.

We are called "Independents." More appropriately, the word is "libertarian," though the word "libertarian" has been hijacked by a lot cranks.

If you let us know what your definition of 'liberal' is, I would try to give an answer, 'Liberal' is so subjective in the USA. For example, I call myself a liberal because my views on social issues are very liberal. I also call myself a conservative because my views on fiscal issues are conservative for the most part.

We are called "Independents." More appropriately, the word is "libertarian," though the word "libertarian" has been hijacked by a lot cranks.

That's one term. Narcissist is another.

That's one term. Narcissist is another.

You sound like a liberal bashing conservatives for their "me-first-all-the-time" selfishness.

HAHA!

Oh, and let me guess, you got a $90,000 a year job the week after graduation with a corner office and 2 hour lunch break and a company car, right? You must have missed the countless stories on the tens of thousands of college grads who can't find work (aka, refuse to do shitty jobs b/c they feel too good for it). A college degree is great. You still must work your way up. Well, except you, who got the above job upon graduation I'm sure.

How can you claim you belief a college degree is great, while also looking down your nose at those with degrees?

You misunderstand. A college degree is great. Thinking having a college degree entitles you to not working entry level or non-related tough jobs is bad.

By the way, you should get a refund on your degree, as the sentence "How can you claim you belief a college...." should instead read "How can you claim you BELIEVE a college" or "can you claim your belief that a college..".

Get a refund, they failed you. I'm hiring at Wendy's though....if you're interested.

O no. Not a typo! The world is going to end.

And have the Unions make contributions to those that YOU may not agree?

Face FACT. Unions are Corporations unto themselves that they decry.

Some union contributions:

40 hour work week
Overtime pay
Minimum wage
Paid Vacation
Safety
Child Labor laws

All things conservatives fought every step of the way.

You forgot one other union contribution:

Causing the eventual bankruptcy of the company or government they work for, thus causing the promised pensions and benefits of former employees to dry up and lead to an economic crisis when those union members who became so dependent on the union are all-of-a-sudden out on their own. Oops.

Yeah, I remember the time the union bosses held guns to the heads of executives and forced them to sign stupid contracts...

My take on all of this 'liberal/conservative' partisan bickering is that a liberal (MY definition of one - it's the classic bleeding heart type) without a conservative (MY definition - fiscal and constitutional conservative), and a conservative without a liberal are of no use to a society that wishes to remain great. Each tempers the other from becoming radical in their views.

Are you conflating ideology and party affiliation?

None.

Civil rights movement? Nope. What would have occurred anyway took place only by enlarging the state and trampling on individual rights and property rights.

People aren't property.
Democracy? Nope. Extending the franchise to anyone over 18 has meant a growing list of entitlements that will eventually bankrupt this country and end our government.

So you propose an oligarchy?
No fault divorce? Nope. Sent the message that relationships are cheap and expendable. Fail.

As opposed to costing 40 sheckles?

You religion devalues life more than ideology ever has. Just ask the Moabites, Jesubites, Hittites, Ammonites...

My take on all of this 'liberal/conservative' partisan bickering is that a liberal (MY definition of one - it's the classic bleeding heart type) without a conservative (MY definition - fiscal and constitutional conservative), and a conservative without a liberal are of no use to a society that wishes to remain great. Each tempers the other from becoming radical in their views.

History proves the idea of Conservative Fiscal Prolicies is a fraud. A tax break deoesn't create long term jobs. Then the FACT that only 6% of Republicans are scientists. Republicans say, "So what? What does that prove?" It proves and highlights Republican disdain for education.

If tax breaks were so good at creating jobs, then the 2.5 trillion dollar tax cut the Republicans made would have left a sparkling economy, not led to a great depression that still might happen, only Democrats are working hard to avoid that disaster, without Republican support I might add.

☭proletarian☭;2197813 said:
None.

People aren't property.

So you propose an oligarchy?

As opposed to costing 40 sheckles?

You religion devalues life more than ideology ever has. Just ask the Moabites, Jesubites, Hittites, Ammonites...

I think it's "50" sheckles.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

History proves the idea of Conservative Fiscal Prolicies is a fraud. A tax break deoesn't create long term jobs. Then the FACT that only 6% of Republicans are scientists. Republicans say, "So what? What does that prove?" It proves and highlights Republican disdain for education.

If tax breaks were so good at creating jobs, then the 2.5 trillion dollar tax cut the Republicans made would have left a sparkling economy, not led to a great depression that still might happen, only Democrats are working hard to avoid that disaster, without Republican support I might add.
We all know you want a one party state like the good little fascist you are. But, no need to demonstrate your lack of understanding of one of this country's fundamental founding principles at the same time. You end up looking like a stupid fascist.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back