Can someone tell me when it was that Gays had different drinking fountains?...

Do you really talk that way to your partner? I have a hard time believing you do.

She is fine with my thinking my views, but she is a conservative christian and a conservative republican and she doesn't agree with me. What exactly do you want from me? And please, stick with what you would actually do and stop with the crap you obviously wouldn't.

That would explain a religious wedding...but why the NEED for a secular marriage?

Government validation, of course. That's the only reason people get civilly married...according to kaz

That was one reason. I'll let you carry on with the conversation with yourself.

Obviously you do not view your partner disagreeing with you as "contempt," I said to knock off the crap you would not do. If you want a serious answer, ask a serious question.

The question YOU posted was contemptuous. You wanted to know why anyone needed government validation through civil marriage. Have you asked the person closest to you (the one you married) that still wants the civil marriage?

My wife knows I'm a libertarian, I know she's a conservative. That you view anything people you live with think differently than you on as "contempt" is your problem. Yes, she knows what I think. No, she doesn't have a problem with what I think even when she thinks differently.There's a lesson in there for you to get along with people better.

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, someone is not thinking.

You still aren't answering my question, but that's okay. I understand you not wanting to be as contemptuous of your own spouse as you are of everyone else, like gays, wanting to be civilly married.

That would explain a religious wedding...but why the NEED for a secular marriage?

Government validation, of course. That's the only reason people get civilly married...according to kaz

So she told you the WHY of "government validation", right? Whattya askin' us for then?

Obviously you do not view your partner disagreeing with you as "contempt," I said to knock off the crap you would not do. If you want a serious answer, ask a serious question.

The question YOU posted was contemptuous. You wanted to know why anyone needed government validation through civil marriage. Have you asked the person closest to you (the one you married) that still wants the civil marriage?

My wife knows I'm a libertarian, I know she's a conservative. That you view anything people you live with think differently than you on as "contempt" is your problem. Yes, she knows what I think. No, she doesn't have a problem with what I think even when she thinks differently.There's a lesson in there for you to get along with people better.

So, your wife knows and is ok with you being contemptuous of that legal marriage license?

You still aren't answering my question, but that's okay. I understand you not wanting to be as contemptuous of your own spouse as you are of everyone else, like gays, wanting to be civilly married.

You know...this could be the classic "I've got mine, the hell with you" gambit.

You know...this could be the classic "I've got mine, the hell with you" gambit.

No, in this particular case I don't believe it is. He would reject civil marriage, but is deferring to the wishes of his spouse. He is to be commended for that, putting aside his own wants for those of his spouse.

But the snide contempt of gays seeking marriage equality just comes off as pure mean unless he asks this question a bit closer to home:

"Why anyone needs government validation to feel "married" is beyond me."

It's a "have you stopped beating your wife" question, it's bull. I've told you a bunch of times that yes, she is fully aware of my opinion, but you keep going back to, but have you stopped beating her...

And I keep telling you that your view that disagreeing with your partner is contempt is your problem, not mine. And again I'm calling you a liar. You do not treat your partner as you keep demanding I treat mine. You're full of shit.

It's a "have you stopped beating your wife" question, it's bull. I've told you a bunch of times that yes, she is fully aware of my opinion, but you keep going back to, but have you stopped beating her...

And I keep telling you that your view that disagreeing with your partner is contempt is your problem, not mine. And again I'm calling you a liar. You do not treat your partner as you keep demanding I treat mine. You're full of shit.

I've never said that disagreeing with your partner is contemptuous. I have repeatedly said that the way you treat gays wanting to be civilly married is contemptuous. It is.

Wow, amazing the misinformation spew and the ignorance of the issue.
What it is boiling down to is this as most all of the Judges' rulings are reflecting this same constitutional fact:
"The court finds there will likely be insufficient evidence of a legitimate state interest to justify the singling out of same sex married couples for non-recognition." Indiana Judge Richard Young last month in ordering the state to recognize the marriage of 2 women from Mass.
Get over it folks. This ain't going to change anyone's marriage and no one is forcing kids to be gay.

So she told you the WHY of "government validation", right? Whattya askin' us for then?

I can't unravel that pretzel

Really? I'll break it down. Your statement was, and I quote: "Why anyone needs government validation to feel "married" is beyond me." then you stated that government validation was indeed one of the reasons you are civilly married...so you obviously know WHY someone needs government validation and there was no need for you to make that statement with such contempt about gays wanting to be civilly married. Get it now?

I've never said that disagreeing with your partner is contemptuous. I have repeatedly said that the way you treat gays wanting to be civilly married is contemptuous. It is.

First, you did keep saying disagreeing with my partner is contemptuous. She knows how much I hate government. I run a business, she sees what they do to me and she grasps why what was previously a general hatred for government has become a searing hate. Sorry, my disdain for government doesn't bother her no matter how many times you ask. I don't know why that's so hard to process.

As for gays, I'm allowed to oppose marriage for straights, but not gays? If you say so...

Last edited:

First, you did keep saying disagreeing with my partner is contemptuous. She knows how much I hate government. I run a business, she sees what they do to me and she grasps why what was previously a general hatred for government has become a searing hate. Sorry, my disdain for government doesn't bother her no matter how many times you ask. I don't know why that's so hard to process.

As for gays, I'm allowed to oppose marriage for straights, but not gays? If you say so...

No I haven't. I said that you treat gays seeking marriage equality contemptuously.

You can oppose marriage, just be equally contemptuous.

Really? I'll break it down. Your statement was, and I quote: "Why anyone needs government validation to feel "married" is beyond me." then you stated that government validation was indeed one of the reasons you are civilly married...so you obviously know WHY someone needs government validation and there was no need for you to make that statement with such contempt about gays wanting to be civilly married. Get it now?

I did not say that "I" got married for government validation, I said that is one factor for some people when they get married. Particularly gays, you are desperate for societal approval. You want to be told it's OK by the collective, and government represents the collective. So the government stamp is a big thing to you. In general, for straights the validation is a lot smaller of a factor, though I can't say it's not a factor at all.

For my wife, the government validation is not important either. Her concern is that her family and the Korean community see it as a full, "valid" marriage. I don't think she cares so much what Americans think about it. Ironically, she likes the American attitudes better, and she considers Koreans judgmental. It's not that she wants to please them, she just doesn't want to be judged.

I did not say that "I" got married for government validation, I said that is one factor for some people when they get married. Particularly gays, you are desperate for societal approval. You want to be told it's OK by the collective, and government represents the collective. So the government stamp is a big thing to you. In general, for straights the validation is a lot smaller of a factor, though I can't say it's not a factor at all.

For my wife, the government validation is not important either. Her concern is that her family and the Korean community see it as a full, "valid" marriage. I don't think she cares so much what Americans think about it. Ironically, she likes the American attitudes better, and she considers Koreans judgmental. It's not that she wants to please them, she just doesn't want to be judged.

Gays get civilly married for ALL the same reasons heterosexuals get married. Hold all civil marriage in equal contempt...including your own.

Wow, amazing the misinformation spew and the ignorance of the issue.
What it is boiling down to is this as most all of the Judges' rulings are reflecting this same constitutional fact:
"The court finds there will likely be insufficient evidence of a legitimate state interest to justify the singling out of same sex married couples for non-recognition." Indiana Judge Richard Young last month in ordering the state to recognize the marriage of 2 women from Mass.
Get over it folks. This ain't going to change anyone's marriage and no one is forcing kids to be gay.

It’s likely a matter of willful ignorance.

Those opposed to gay Americans realizing their comprehensive civil rights understand they’ve lost in the courts, consequently they turn to desperate demagoguery made up of lies and irrelevant misinformation about ‘polygamy’ and other such nonsense in an effort to demonize gay Americans.

No I haven't. I said that you treat gays seeking marriage equality contemptuously.

WTF? I oppose both, what are you talking about?

Gays get civilly married for ALL the same reasons heterosexuals get married. Hold all civil marriage in equal contempt...including your own.

I suppose these sound good in your head at some point before you type them. Liberalism is the ability to think contradictory thoughts at the same time while fully believing both.

A) Discrimination is bad and should not exist
B) We should discriminate for blacks/women/...

A) The United States should not use our military to overthrow foreign governments
B) Obama should use our military to overthrow foreign governments

A) Kaz oppose all government marriage
B) Kaz is not treating all government marriages the same

While there may be something to a gay couple seeking validation from a church, that's only a small part of it. Most gay couples that I have known who have been together over 5 years generally refer to themselves as "married", even if they don't have a license.

However.............the tax benefits, and other rights afforded to married couples are some of the things they would like to be able to have just like straight couples do.

I can tell you for a FACT that married couples in the military enjoy more benefits than what their single counterparts get. Not only in the form of being able to access Ombudsman services, and BAQ, but married people also get more leeway when it comes to drawing up the watch bill on the holidays.

WTF? I oppose both, what are you talking about?

Yes, you "oppose" both, we get it. You'd divorce your wife if she'd let you, we get it.

My point is that you can stop asking gays snide questions like "why would anyone need government validation through civil marriage" when you are in a government civil marriage and you can just ask yourself or your spouse all these rhetorical questions.

Forum List

Back