Can the Federal Government Constitutionally redistribute wealth?

Is redistribution of wealth a legitimate Constitutional authority for the Federal Government?

• Total voters
General Welfare does not apply to each individual the same. No law can help each person equally.
But laws that helps some while deliberately hurting others, are clearly forbidden by the so-called "Welfare Clause".

The old "If it isn't 100% perfect then it's unacceptable" dodge is one of the sillier diversions used by the big-govt advocates. Can you imagine the result if it were applied to Obamacare? :D

Wealth redistribution is clearly unconstitutional.

Taking someone's money and giving to someone else isn't in their welfare? LOL, obviously not...

The fact that you would have to do research to be able to name any of the downsides you claim that not only exist, but were "way worse than the cut" tells me that you have no idea what you're talking about

The fact that you want to be spoon fed tells me that you're intellectually lazy and your history of ignoring every argument that is counter to the interest of your party tells me you're a liberal ideologue.

I am not intellectually lazy, I research any claim you or other liberals make that I care enough about to question before I ask. But I am an achiever, you are a leach. We are what we are.

I frankly cannot grasp how you would not care enough to want to search your own links instead of reading ones that I select. It's easy, easier than writing your whining post. But I can't understand how you would think government can run your life better than you can either.

You can get all the butt hurt you want, but I am not playing the game anymore where you ask for data with no intellectual curiosity and then ignore everything I tell you. Get engaged in the discussion, and I will be glad to provide you all the information you want.

If the taxation power is being used to redistribute wealth, or other wise manipulate society, it's being abused. The purpose of taxes is to fund the legitimate functions of government, not to use as a 'workaround' for things government would like to do, but otherwise haven't been authorized by the Constitution.

I think those who pushed for the 16th amendment knew that wealth can pool up in a society at the top.....this is essentially what happened in the monarchy the founding generation rejected. Progressive Income taxes allowed by the 16th,(and not really disallowed by the Constitution in its original form either) is a partial remedy for that. Some may choose to call that "redistribution"

What makes you think the 16th allows for a progressive tax. Where is the language in it that says congress can treat one dollar differently than another? Seems that would violate the equal protection guaranteed elsewhere.

The question isn't about "taxes" it's about "redistribution of wealth." That is referring to taking money from one citizen and giving it to another. It is not saying government cannot tax for the general good, like the military and courts that all have equal access too. I thought people realized that, maybe not. I'll edit my post to make that clear.

your attempt to split the general good from welfare payments has no basis in any law I know of. The legislative system determines what the country thinks the general welfare is and at some point Congress thought welfare payments met the general interests of society. On the tax side the 16th amendment authorizes progressive taxes.
The Constitution is a centrist document, not a leftist document. The delegates at the Philadelphia Convention were not exempt from the larger American principles and conventions. That is, terminology was established and understood before the Constitution was even drafted.

That it would be a living document was an idea not seriously considered by the left until the Progressive Era.

The general welfare did not refer to the enrichment of some at the expense of others.

The term general welfare was not a specific term. It was to be determined by the Congress.

Great post, fellow lybyryl! Now drive the point home by quoting the exact line from the Constitution that says Congress may, at any time, set or change the definitions of words and phrases in the text of the Constitution. These small-government extremists won't have a leg to stand on then.

Wow, from you? Well done!

It is an interesting concept that dcraelin advanced, congress is limited to enumerated powers, and congress can define what those powers are... LOL. I'm still shocked you said it.

Ben didn't know any billionaires. Your assumptions are laughable.

Again, YOU are a moron. Got it

Adam Smith, Thomas Jefferson, and other fellow travelers

If there was one thing the Revolutionary generation agreed on — and those guys who dress up like them at Tea Party conventions most definitely do not — it was the incompatibility of democracy and inherited wealth.

With Thomas Jefferson taking the lead in the Virginia legislature in 1777, every Revolutionary state government abolished the laws of primogeniture and entail that had served to perpetuate the concentration of inherited property. Jefferson cited Adam Smith, the hero of free market capitalists everywhere, as the source of his conviction that (as Smith wrote, and Jefferson closely echoed in his own words), "A power to dispose of estates for ever is manifestly absurd. The earth and the fulness of it belongs to every generation, and the preceding one can have no right to bind it up from posterity. Such extension of property is quite unnatural." Smith said: "There is no point more difficult to account for than the right we conceive men to have to dispose of their goods after death."

Stephen Budiansky s Liberal Curmudgeon Blog Adam Smith Thomas Jefferson and other fellow travelers

The causes which destroyed the ancient republics were numerous; but in Rome, one principal cause was the vast inequality of fortunes.

Noah Webster

The founders, despite decades of rancorous disagreements about almost every other aspect of their grand experiment, agreed that America would survive and thrive only if there was widespread ownership of land and businesses.

George Washington, nine months before his inauguration as the first president, predicted that America "will be the most favorable country of any kind in the world for persons of industry and frugality, possessed of moderate capital, to inhabit." And, he continued, "it will not be less advantageous to the happiness of the lowest class of people, because of the equal distribution of property."

The second president, John Adams, feared "monopolies of land" would destroy the nation and that a business aristocracy born of inequality would manipulate voters, creating "a system of subordination to all... The capricious will of one or a very few" dominating the rest. Unless constrained, Adams wrote, "the rich and the proud" would wield economic and political power that "will destroy all the equality and liberty, with the consent and acclamations of the people themselves."

James Madison, the Constitution's main author, described inequality as an evil, saying government should prevent "an immoderate, and especially unmerited, accumulation of riches." He favored "the silent operation of laws which, without violating the rights of property, reduce extreme wealth towards a state of mediocrity, and raise extreme indigents towards a state of comfort."

Alexander Hamilton, who championed manufacturing and banking as the first Treasury secretary, also argued for widespread ownership of assets, warning in 1782 that, "whenever a discretionary power is lodged in any set of men over the property of their neighbors, they will abuse it."

Late in life, Adams, pessimistic about whether the republic would endure, wrote that the goal of the democratic government was not to help the wealthy and powerful but to achieve "the greatest happiness for the greatest number."

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/02/07/why-thomas-jefferson-favored-profit-sharing-245454.html
What foolishness to say that these quotes advocate for the confiscation of wealth in order to redistribute it. You realize, don't you, that the young nation was a republic without an inherited aristocracy or nobility? It had no unmerited accumulation or inequality of riches. By virtue of the natural law, all citizens - president and yeoman farmer - were peers.

I don't suppose you did realize that.

But how about some quotes relating to our government and Constitution?

“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” — James Madison, 4 Annals of Congress 179, 1794

“The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government.” — James Madison

“A wise and frugal government… shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” — Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” — Thomas Jefferson

“Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.” — Thomas Jefferson

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

Oh, and like your Franklin quote that is not about the Constitution, here's another one likewise:

“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.” — Benjamin Franklin

Another quote not about the government or Constitution:

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.” — Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: kaz
YOU made the claim and are unwilling to back it up

Do you now admit you were wrong?

You ... are are chastising ... me ... for not backing up a claim? That is just too funny. I ask you questions over and over and get no answer. And you demand an answer? You? LOL, here's the world's smallest violin, and it's playing just for you.

:boohoo:

The Constitution enumerates the powers of the Federal government. Then to make it clear that those are the only powers the Federal government has, they wrote the 10th amendment, which says anything the Federal government is not authorized to do, it is prohibited from doing. And to go even further, they said any right of the people not protected in the Bill of Rights or other amendments is as important as any right that is protected in the Bill of Rights or other amendments.

Another one of these pathetic "look at me, I failed high school Civics" threads.

Shit people, stop embarrassing yourselves.

Wealth is not redistributed. If you had any, you'd understand.

So do you prefer to roll your pot or smoke it in a bong?

The fact that you would have to do research to be able to name any of the downsides you claim that not only exist, but were "way worse than the cut" tells me that you have no idea what you're talking about

your history of ignoring every argument that is counter to the interest of your party

I am an achiever, you are a leach.

you ask for data with no intellectual curiosity and then ignore everything I tell you.

Bullshit, prove all of these claims. Provide specific citations via links to the posts I have made on USMB that back up all of these statements. Anything less than this does not substantiate your "arguments" and will establish you, unequivocally, as a shitposting troll who derails his own threads.

I frankly cannot grasp how you would not care enough to want to search your own links instead of reading ones that I select. It's easy, easier than writing your whining post.

As I have stated before on USMB, I want you to be responsible for making your own arguments. If my racist, misogynist opposition (you and others like you) want to make me responsible for doing your research, coming up with your facts, drawing your conclusions, and making your arguments, I will be more than happy to do so provided that when you get butthurt and disagree, you don't voice that disagree, but rather sit there and accept that you have thrown away your chance at representing your views and have no standing in the discussion you willfully vacated. If you cannot agree to those terms, I cannot be expected to do your research for you. If you cannot consent to me putting other people's words in your mouth and accepting 100% responsibility for every error, misstatement, and unfounded claim the sources I choose make, I refuse to have a discussion where I represent both sides.

So, I'll ask you: Do you want me to come up with your sources, your arguments, and your facts, and once I have done so, will you completely accept those--whatever they are--as adequately representing your views, words, and opinions? If not, given that you have repeatedly refused the opportunity to represent yourself in this one-discussion, who, if anyone, do you believe can represent your own views, make your arguments, and be trusted to do the appropriate research for you?

I am not playing the game anymore where you ask for data with no intellectual curiosity and then ignore everything I tell you. Get engaged in the discussion, and I will be glad to provide you all the information you want.

Funny that you'd bring up being "engaged in the discussion" again, while you have yet to respond to my initial post in this thread answering your OP. So, in an effort to re-rail what could still be a good thread with insightful, meaningful discussion, please respond to my post here: Can the Federal Government Constitutionally redistribute wealth Page 9 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

You ... are are chastising ... me ... for not backing up a claim?

Yes, because that's exactly what you've done.

That is just too funny. I ask you questions over and over and get no answer. And you demand an answer? You? LOL, here's the world's smallest violin, and it's playing just for you.

What a nice attempt at deflection and shooting the messenger. I notice that you didn't deny the fact that you haven't backed up your claim, and you continue to not back it up at all.

Congrats on becoming what you claim to hate, I suppose.

But Adams, Madison, and even the big-govt fanatic Hamilton realized that the wealth redistribution they envisioned, could not be implemented without resorting to outright theft.

For that reason, they wisely decided to leave it out of the Constitution, thus denying the Fed govt any authority to do it.

That was quite possibly the last time in recorded American history that big-government advocates showed common sense.

Yes, they left it up to future generations, as they knew it was a living document they created :banana:

You're full of crap, the definitions of words on a page don't change with age, they say what they say.

But Adams, Madison, and even the big-govt fanatic Hamilton realized that the wealth redistribution they envisioned, could not be implemented without resorting to outright theft.

For that reason, they wisely decided to leave it out of the Constitution, thus denying the Fed govt any authority to do it.

That was quite possibly the last time in recorded American history that big-government advocates showed common sense.

Yes, they left it up to future generations, as they knew it was a living document they created :banana:

Excellent post, fellow lybyryl! Idiotic conservatards just don't get it, so can you post some dumbed-down proof that the Founding patriarchal scum intended the Constitution to be a living document subject to changing interpretation over time?

Anyway the answer to the opening question if thats what you mean is: It is Consitutional.
I agree on the quotes, it's been confusing. And that is the first part of the question, the rest of it is, where does the Constitution grant the Federal government that authority since the Constitution is a document of enumerated Federal powers.
I wish they would have a simple option to highlight parts of a post you wish to respond to and put it in as quotes. Theres probably a way to do it....but I dont find it simple in any way.
OK on the subject. I believe the General welfare clause authorizes welfare payments, cant remember how the federal powers are enumerated but you may have a point in that welfare payments are not specifically mentioned, However, like a lot of things the federal government does, it does this where the states do not want to do it. In other words If the feds werent handling it the states would be and your tax burden would be roughly the same or ....even more since the states generally have balanced budgets.
General welfare means that it applies to everyone. Like the military. The military does not discriminate, it protects all the population. The courts, everyone has access to redress grievances. The police protect everyone. Taking money from one person and giving it to another is not general welfare, it clearly benefits only the person receiving the money. Try again.
Also ask yourself why if "general welfare" means they can do anything they want, they bothered making 20% of the Constitution the 9th and 10th amendments. Why limit power you just said was unlimited?

1) like I said in post 165 the folks that pushed for the Bill of rights were largely those OPPOSED to the Constitution, such as Patrick Henry and James Monroe. This accounts for some of the disconnect between the original Constitution and the 9th and tenth amendments.

2)The federalists, such as Hamilton were the big government advocates of the day (which makes it ironic that conservatives today generally defend them). Their understanding of the General welfare was very broad as proven by the national bank fight some short years after ratification. It was basically anything the legislature thought it should be. AND, they packed the court prior to Jeffersons presidency and thus their courts interpreted the meaning of Constitution for years to come....so .you can also blame the courts for creating precedent for a broad interpretation of the word.....which I do think matches the original intent.

3) enumeration is just a list of possibilities.............it doesnt necessarily restrict,..........without the 10th amendment addition..............which I agree with you, under a very strict reading would probably prohibit welfare payments

4) tho the states would then have a burden which would likely cost the average taxpayer more.

Your post says the Constitution is a leftist document. First, when meanings and terms are legislative prerogatives, that's leftist. Second, when the legislature decides for the country what meanings and terms are, that's leftist.
And when you give 50 cents to a panhandler, you have enriched him.
I dont see why making something a legislative prerogative means its leftist..........but whatever. 50 cents certainly doesn't make anyone rich...........but I see your being a bit picky on definitions.See my post 165
You need to do some research how those terms were defined at the time they were used, that is the only way to get true intent.
Perhaps thats the only way to get at understanding of the general population..............but I think the intent of the "big government" Federalists is proof enough of the intent of the framers anyway.

u also said somewhere "What makes you think the 16th allows for a progressive tax. Where is the language in it that says congress can treat one dollar differently than another? Seems that would violate the equal protection guaranteed elsewhere. "

The history of the tax up until then. It had been applied progressively before.

Bullshit, prove all of these claims. Provide specific citations via links to the posts I have made on USMB that back up all of these statements

LOL, do as you say, not as you do. What an intellectual shill.

So let's recap the conversation. You claimed that Obama proposed cutting the corporate tax rate to 28%. I said that he did not just propose doing that, it was part of a broader package.

Now you have butt hurt that you want me to find links to disprove your unsubstantiated claim. You have no responsibility to prove anything, it's my job to prove what you say wrong. And I'm failing miserably at that. And you're mad as hell about it. LOL, can't make up the shit you people believe.

I am not disproving your claim no matter what a bitch you want to be about it, my dear. It's YOUR claim. You back it up. You back up that Obama proposed cutting the corporate tax rate to 28%, no strings attached.

OMG, you people are hilarious. It's not to be believed. Can you blow your stack again that I am shirking my message board duty by not proving you wrong? LOL, what a tool. Now that's funny.

You ... are are chastising ... me ... for not backing up a claim?

Yes, because that's exactly what you've done.

That is just too funny. I ask you questions over and over and get no answer. And you demand an answer? You? LOL, here's the world's smallest violin, and it's playing just for you.

What a nice attempt at deflection and shooting the messenger. I notice that you didn't deny the fact that you haven't backed up your claim, and you continue to not back it up at all.

Congrats on becoming what you claim to hate, I suppose.

I was talking to RW, not you. I addressed your flaming hypocrisy separately. I ask RW questions all the time. He backs up nothing and answers no questions. That is what I was referring to here. Your reply is separate, let's take it up there.

The federalists, such as Hamilton were the big government advocates of the day (which makes it ironic that conservatives today generally defend them). Their understanding of the General welfare was very broad as proven by the national bank fight some short years after ratification. It was basically anything the legislature thought it should be.

Is that what he thought? The legislature can do whatever it wants?

Alexander Hamilton: I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and, on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do?

The federal government has a constitutional role to set the tax structure.

If it results in a redistribution of wealth......so be it

And if it results in "redistributing" the wealth only to rich people? So be it? You AOK with that?

So, for those of you who consider it to be a legitimate use of Federal force to redistribute wealth, what Constitutional authority is that based on? Be specific.

The authority for the redistribution of wealth doesn't come from the Constitution itself, nor does it need to; it comes from the social contract made by every U.S. citizen. This contract supersedes the Constitution, as the Constitution (and indeed, the other organic laws of the United States) relies on it for both power and authority.

As we know from the Declaration of Independence--which has legal status as an organic law of the U.S., the same as the Constitution--the powers of government are derived from "the consent of the governed". Nearly the entirety of American citizenry (i.e., everyone but the few raving lunatic libertarians that frequent forums like these to spew their nonsense everywhere) has given implied consent to every action the federal government takes in regard to wealth redistribution. This consent has been given by various methods, but especially includes voting for politicians that want and take action to institute wealth redistribution, continue wealth redistribution, and refine methods involved in wealth redistribution.

No contract is a one-way mandate; rather, contracts require all parties involved to perform their duties established under the contract, and to enforce the terms of the contract in the event it is ever violated. We the People, the citizens of the United States, are one party in the contract; the other party is our government, which consists of individual citizens elected from among larger bodies of other citizens. When We the People began electing our fellow citizens to positions of power, and they began using that power to violate the Constitution, the only appropriate action at that point would be to dispute the action and, if necessary, remove our representatives in government from office. Instead, the actions are never seriously disputed--by election, recall referendum, lawsuit, or other court challenge--and most of the people causing these actions are re-elected. Joe Wilson (R-SC), for example, co-sponsored a bill that would "reauthorize, revise, and extend State family assistance grants for FY 2004 through 2008 and make annual appropriations." His most recent bid for re-election, in 2012, saw him taking in 96% of the vote. 96% of his voting constituents gave their express consent for his actions, and 100% of his non-voting constituents gave their implied consent by not objecting to his actions by voting against him.

So to sum it up, OP, people have an obligation--not a "right," not an "ability," and not an "option," but an obligation--to object when the terms of the contract they agreed to with the government and each other is being violated. The vast majority of the U.S. does not object, and in fact, many of them very vocally agree with this violation. You are living in a country ruled by the will of the majority, and an overwhelming majority of your fellow citizens are completely fine with the redistribution of wealth, as evidenced by their continued express and implied consent to said redistribution, regardless of whatever grumblings they make in public. There are numerous remedies available to enforce the Constitution, and they are not being used because most people really don't care that the Constitution is being brushed aside for this particular affair. The few that do honestly object and take steps to enforce the Constitution will always be hopelessly outnumbered, as they are an extreme minority. I haven't heard even the most extreme, hardliner libertarians advocating a country where the popularly-elected government and its people cower before the dictates of the minority.

So the mob and not the law rules, got it.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Forum List

Back