Cash for clunkers

Why is it hypocritical? No, it's certainly not 100% Obama's fault. He can't be blamed for creating the bubble in the first place. He's certainly responsible for everything he's done, however. Voting for the bailouts, the stimulus package, etc...

Aaah ... but according to your "the economy didn't right itself until after the war" logic, then everything that happens economically is a direct result of that days actions. So yes, either the war helped the economy limp back over time, which showed to be upright at the same time the war ended, or it was because of the war ending ... those are the only two possibilities, if it was because the war ended then Obama is to blame for all our current problems as well, unless you are a hypocrite.

I am completely lost.

Hypocrites are easily confused when faced with logic.

Aaah ... but according to your "the economy didn't right itself until after the war" logic, then everything that happens economically is a direct result of that days actions. So yes, either the war helped the economy limp back over time, which showed to be upright at the same time the war ended, or it was because of the war ending ... those are the only two possibilities, if it was because the war ended then Obama is to blame for all our current problems as well, unless you are a hypocrite.

I am completely lost.

Hypocrites are easily confused when faced with logic.

That may be the case, but I'm guessing this is more twisted logic than actual logic.

The program has run out of money because it has been so wildly successful, not because it failed.

The prospect of $3,500 to $4,500 in government cash to trade in an older gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient vehicle had customers jamming showrooms in Southern California and nationwide. Some dealerships have stayed open until 3 a.m. to handle the demand.

"We just have all this new traffic. It's really good," said Jesus Machado, general sales manager at Toyota Scion of Glendale. "There's energy, excitement."

Toyota said its three top-selling models through the program were the Corolla compact, the Prius hybrid and the four-cylinder Camry sedan. General Motors said sales of small, fuel-efficient cars, such as the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3, have jumped 55% since the program began.

sources

The program has run out of money because it has been so wildly successful, not because it failed.

The prospect of $3,500 to $4,500 in government cash to trade in an older gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient vehicle had customers jamming showrooms in Southern California and nationwide. Some dealerships have stayed open until 3 a.m. to handle the demand.

"We just have all this new traffic. It's really good," said Jesus Machado, general sales manager at Toyota Scion of Glendale. "There's energy, excitement."

Toyota said its three top-selling models through the program were the Corolla compact, the Prius hybrid and the four-cylinder Camry sedan. General Motors said sales of small, fuel-efficient cars, such as the Chevrolet Aveo and Pontiac G3, have jumped 55% since the program began.

sources

This doesn't make it a good idea either, nor will the end result be good. Of course I was not one of those who said it was a "failure" ... just that it's a bad program for other reasons. ;)

sources

This doesn't make it a good idea either, nor will the end result be good. Of course I was not one of those who said it was a "failure" ... just that it's a bad program for other reasons. ;)

AS to whether the program is a good idea? Different question.

But as the question of whether or not the program succeeded in doing what it was designed to do?

It obviously did that in spades.

That's the same normal discount you would get by a reputible dealer when trading in any old car for a new one. What is the big deal here? MSRP prices are way more than the 4500 above what the dealer actually pays for the car. You guys and the American public as a whole are idiots when it comes to trading an old car in for a new one. The government hasn't paid any auto dealer any money for the program. I wonder why? It's a scam, that's why.
This isn't true either. A dealer isn't going to give you more money than the car is worth period.

I've never been for this government giveaway

I just learned that a car traded in on this program is destroyed or rendered inoperable'

How fucking stupid is that?

The next thing you know the fucking government will pay people to buy a new house and bulldoze their old one to the ground.

I just learned that a car traded in on this program is destroyed or rendered inoperable'

The next thing you know the fucking government will pay people to buy a new house and bulldoze their old one to the ground.

Obama has already mentioned the house idea.

Reminds me of when we paid farmers to kill their livestock during the depression even though people were standing in bread lines.

Fucking brilliant huh?

Reminds me of when we paid farmers to kill their livestock during the depression even though people were standing in bread lines.

Fucking brilliant huh?

The problem is that people think our government still cares about us, the reality is far from that. They stopped caring when people stopped learning, they realized that since people prefer to be naive they can do whatever they want as long as they keep saying "we just want to help".

The only thing our government cares about is protecting it's investments.

This isn't true, it's been posted a few times on the thread. The cars are sold to salvagers who are free to take them apart and sell parts.

This isn't true, it's been posted a few times on the thread. The cars are sold to salvagers who are free to take them apart and sell parts.

Must I repeat this again and again?

What the government says and does are two very different things, just because we have a different leader does not mean a damned thing has changed.

Must I repeat this again and again?

What the government says and does are two very different things, just because we have a different leader does not mean a damned thing has changed.
:cuckoo: You're getting as bad as eots and Terral.

kk are you referring to his proposal to destroy urban wastelands?

Yes, much of which could be reused to house homeless with minimal cost. A project was planned here once for such a place, it would have cost less to turn into a homeless shelter than to demolish ... that was until a condo bought it out.

If the program gets people

1. to buy cars they might otherwise not have purchased, then it stimulates the economy

2. buys more fuel efficient cars? Then it helps to reduce our dependence on petro.

Will it be worth what it costs?

Don't know, but I do know that the two above positive effects are fairly obvious.

Last edited:
How about a "cash for boob jobs" stimulus? I bet a lot of people would be in favor of that. Oh wait. That might be in the govt. health care plan. My bad.

Sorry I don't want to pay for my neighbor's new car. Or her boob job. I'm with KK.

Check out the vote count in the house to renew cash for clunkers program, including republicans, 316-109. Who would vote against a program that helps the constituents and dealers back home? John McCain would. He will lose again, BIG TIME.

How about a "cash for boob jobs" stimulus? I bet a lot of people would be in favor of that. Oh wait. That might be in the govt. health care plan. My bad.

Sorry I don't want to pay for my neighbor's new car. Or her boob job. I'm with KK.

I know they give nose jobs on the taxpayers dime, just have to get it broken first, so it's not a huge stretch.

no they are not allowed to resale the parts..they are suppose to run this silcone mixture thru the engine till the engine siezes up...that is why a lot of salvage yards dont want any part of it..they make most of their profit on parts..

Trade-ins are subsequently destroyed. Dealers are required to run a sodium silicate solution through the engine to ruin it before selling the car to a scrap dealer.

Clunkers program dents used-car sales - Sacramento Business Journal:

i know of what i speak.

Forum List

Back