Catholic hospital: Fetus is NOT a human being

Lawyers for Catholic hospital argue that a fetus is not a person - CNN.com

Well, this is certainly interesting. With all the talk that has so often come from the church about how voting for pro-choice candidates is a sin, etc, now the church wants to hide behind the convenience of saying that a fetus is actually not a human being after all. This is almost as bad as Obama calling for a gun ban while surrounded by dozens of armed guards.

The wrongfulness of the death aside, how can a Catholic hospital justifiably make such an argument? With all the talk about employers providing birth control, the arguments there cannot be simultaneous maintained with the arguments there; if religious belief supposedly justify exclusions from the law then the church cannot argue legal technicalities that violate the same core beliefs.

I'll be interested to see how the larger church responds to this incident.

It is hypocritical to be sure. However, who gets the actual money in a wrongful death case is contingent upon the estate of the deceased. I have not known a fetus to ever be considered by law to have an 'estate.' A fetus considered religiously to be a person is definitely disadvantaged as a person under various laws such as descent and distribution. There is no provision in the law for that.

The lawyers did argue the merits of the case. That's what liberals have a problem with. We don't know that the lawyers were catholic or atheist themselves. The lawyers take an oath to uphold the law, even if that law conflicts with their personal opinions. This is being reviewed by Catholic Bishops to determine if religious laws were violated in terms of the Church, it is nothing to do with the courtroom.

We don't know if the hospital did all it could. These are matters for the jury after testimony by expert witnesses and examination of medical records.

They did not need to argue about when a Fetus is considered Human Life at all. They needed to argue that the outcome was beyond their mortal power, to effect. If the Deaths were beyond the Power of the Medical Staff to prevent, how is that wrongful death? You have proof otherwise? Produce it? It was a Tragedy. Why compound the hurt?

The lawyers did argue the merits of the case. That's what liberals have a problem with. We don't know that the lawyers were catholic or atheist themselves. The lawyers take an oath to uphold the law, even if that law conflicts with their personal opinions. This is being reviewed by Catholic Bishops to determine if religious laws were violated in terms of the Church, it is nothing to do with the courtroom.

We don't know if the hospital did all it could. These are matters for the jury after testimony by expert witnesses and examination of medical records.

They did not need to argue about when a Fetus is considered Human Life at all. They needed to argue that the outcome was beyond their mortal power, to effect. If the Deaths were beyond the Power of the Medical Staff to prevent, how is that wrongful death? You have proof otherwise? Produce it? It was a Tragedy. Why compound the hurt?

And so far that's have the courts have ruled, in favor of the hospital.

Not on the basis of some morality, but on the basis of the state law.

When you are defending yourself against malpractice you are liable to say anything. Lucky for libs the Soros tax exempt propaganda network never sleeps. Try telling that janitor who found a living premature baby in a Chicago hospital garbage can and blew the whistle about an Obama authorized manslaughter scheme that babies aren't human.

That is no surprise. The odds of winning a med mal case are only about 12%. Most states have a law that requires a genuine effort to settle before it goes to court. It is highly likely that a nice settlement was offerend and these fools turned it down getting nothing in the process. Me personally, having a law degree, I would never let a med mal case on my own behalf go to a courtroom. A good settlement would be negotiated.

We don't have an abortion problem in this country, we have an abortion solution. The problem is unwanted pregnancy, period. The answer is not to outlaw abortion, but to increase education and access to birth control.

Yes more education that unprotected sex comes with significant potential risk of unwanted pregnancy. People just don't know what sex does. Maybe some posters and youtubes.

We need more place to buy condoms. A .gov mandated dick bag dispensary in every restroom.

With enough tax money and the right authorities in place. Viola.

If only a condom was used I wouldnt have to read this stupid hyperbole.

Birth control is fine but don't ask me to pay for a box of condoms for some college bimbo. The big question is when a fetus becomes human. Is it still something other than human seconds and inches away from birth when a technician stabs it in the back of the head and sucks it's brain out with a frankenstein device?

If only a condom was used I wouldnt have to read this stupid hyperbole.

Birth control is fine but don't ask me to pay for a box of condoms for some college bimbo. The big question is when a fetus becomes human. Is it still something other than human seconds and inches away from birth when a technician stabs it in the back of the head and sucks it's brain out with a frankenstein device?

I dont care about your opinion on this matter.

That's a typical left wing argument if I ever heard one. When does a fetus become human? If we started yanking out unborn horses or dogs and killing them you could bet your ass that they would be referred to as ...horses and dogs and PETA and the libs would go nuts but the ridiculous premise offered by the left is that unborn humans are different. They aren't human until they are born.

They could have done an emergency c-section.

Well well well. It seems that a fetus is a person only when the Church wants it to be. When faced with a multi million dollar lawsuit, they change their stance:
A chain of Catholic Hospitals has beaten a malpractice lawsuit by saying that fetuses are not equivalent to human lives.
According to the Colorado Independent, in the death of a 31-year-old woman carrying twin fetuses, Catholic Health Initiatives’ attorneys argued that in cases of wrongful death, the term “person” only applies to individuals born alive, andnot to those who die in utero.
Readmorehttp://www.businessinsider.com/www....by-saying-fetuses-arent-people/#ixzz2J3vVDLyM
So is a fetus a person or not, Catholics?

From your link: "Whoops...
The page you are trying to reach cannot be found.
Try searching the site:
To report broken links, send an email to: [email protected]"

Go ahead and kill your baby if you want to, I think a fetus is a life and I would never intentionally kill him or her.

Well, this is certainly interesting. With all the talk that has so often come from the church about how voting for pro-choice candidates is a sin, etc, now the church wants to hide behind the convenience of saying that a fetus is actually not a human being after all. This is almost as bad as Obama calling for a gun ban while surrounded by dozens of armed guards.

The wrongfulness of the death aside, how can a Catholic hospital justifiably make such an argument? With all the talk about employers providing birth control, the arguments there cannot be simultaneous maintained with the arguments there; if religious belief supposedly justify exclusions from the law then the church cannot argue legal technicalities that violate the same core beliefs.

If every American were at the same level and likelihood of threat of assassination or other terrorist act as the US president, then this might be valid.

As for the hospital's potential liability, we are not given any information as to why this woman died and/or if there was any direct negligence committed by the hospital that led to her death. What I find hilarious though, is the fact that a Catholic Hospital would argue that these two babies that died were not human beings. I would agree with that assessment if the fetuses were in their early stages, but at 28 weeks, both could have survived outside the mother's womb given adequate care. Survivability of babies born at 27 to 28 weeks is over 95% today. I really don't see how any hospital could claim that these fetuses were not viable. Worse yet, is the fact that the court agreed with them.

The lawyers for the hospital said the babies were not babies in accordance with State law.

The hospital did not claim the babies were not viable.

The State Law agreed with them.
Time to change the laws of the state???

FWIW-This is a tiny hospital, basically in the middle of nowhere, who happened to save my child's life.

Legally, the Hospital's lawyers did exactly what they were supposed to do, find a legal loophole that shielded their clients from liability.

Philosophically, though, when you have the Catholic Bishops oppossing ObamaCare because they might have to pay for birth control for their non-Cahtolic employees working at hospitals, because life begins at conception and so on, their position if morally bankrupt.

Unless you consider, like all religions, it is just about financial gain because their Imaginary Pixie in the Sky needs money.

Seriously. Fuck religion. It never did a good thing once, even by accident.

Correct, this is not how it’s supposed to work.

If obeying state or Federal law is going to work in favor of the Church with regard to this lawsuit, where the Church doesn’t bring its religious dogma into play, then the same holds true for laws requiring employers to provide employees comprehensive healthcare, including contraception, where the Church’s religious teachings are irrelevant.

The Church can’t have it both ways.

The lawyers for the hospital said the babies were not babies in accordance with State law.

Doesn't the first amendment make their religious beliefs trump what the law would otherwise demand?

Not in the least. Try letting your 5 year old get bitten while holding a rattle snake in a religious service and see what happens to you.

Last edited:
Doesn't the first amendment make their religious beliefs trump what the law would otherwise demand?

Not in the least. Try letting your 5 year old get bitten while holding a rattle snake in a religious service and see what happens to you.

Has anyone told the Catholics that?

Their thing isn't snakes. Their thing is child sex abuse. As long as they kept it under wraps it got a pass. Within the church.

If every American were at the same level and likelihood of threat of assassination or other terrorist act as the US president, then this might be valid.

Who has threatened the president?

There was no conscience defense. This is not, I repeat NOT, an abortion case. It is a wrongful death case. It is a negligence case. If you want to say that the hospital was correct in letting the twin boys die because they weren't human beings, say so.

If a man beats his pregnant girlfriend until she miscarries has he committed murder, or just assault and battery? Was Scott Peterson guilty of murdering his unborn son? If a pregnant woman goes into the hospital what level of care does that hospital owe to the unborn child? These are legal questions. These are not questions of religious dogma. If a secular hospital failed to provide medical care to an unborn child and used the defense of the legality of abortion do you personally think they have done nothing wrong?

I think you are confusing the issue here.

The Catholic church has taken the "Spooge is people too" argument to the point where they refuse to pay for birth control for their employees (even the ones who aren't Catholic) refuse to give rape victims the morning after pill, and so on.

But when it comes to them paying our real money, suddenly fetuses aren't people anymore.

Forum List

Back