CEO Compensation Increased 940% Between 1978 and 2018, Workers’ Only by 12%

That was one of Trump's primary messages. Did you miss the primaries?

Why do you think that is funny?
Because the republican war on unions is why they left in the first place.

It does not make sense that decreased union membership HERE, is a reason to send jobs overseas.
Union jobs were sent to China. Hence decreased membership and stagnant wages.

1. That is the opposite of what you just claimed.

2. And still does not explain why you think it is funny.
No its exactly what I claimed. Republicans started a war on unions, making it acceptable to ship jobs overseas. Shipping jobs overseas lowered union membership. Remember when repubs said things would be great without unions? Another policy in which they were very wrong.

1. Not quite the way I remember it.

2. Yes, I do remember when republicans said without unions, AND SOME OTHER FACTORS, that things would be great again. And yes, they were wrong.

3. Hence why I support changing the policies that led to those disappointing results. You are here supporting the status quo.

Why do you say "pretend"?
It’s a political game. They don’t care about workers, they sent the jobs away in the first place.

So, you missed that entire debate about Free Trade Ideologues vs economic self interest Populism in the primaries?

What actually happened was the Free Trade Ideologues used to rule the GOP. They got their way for a long time.

The results were not what they promised.

Eventually, far too slowly, imo, the less Ideologically and more pragmatic republicans, managed to sway the party to a new direction.

The Free Traders who sent the jobs overseas, were not pretending. They believe in Free Trade.

The Economic Nationalists who want those jobs back, are not pretending. We want those jobs back.

This should not be confusing to you.
Republicans turned good paid union workers into villains which made it ok to buy products from other countries. Previously people wanted to buy USA made.

I think you give Republicans too much credit.

When cheaper goods are made available, people buy them.

You don't want those goods bought? Then support Trump in his attempts to change trade policy.

INdeed, contact the white house and demand higher tariffs.

You do know that Trump is the ONLY one, looking to push back on this issue you pretend to care about, right?
Actually there was a time when people wanted to buy American. Then repubs ruined that with their war on Unions.

It's all quite lost now. Trump is just moving jobs from China to other Asian countries.

Yeah, I don't recall events moving like that. Free Trade was based on the idea that we needed to and could become more competitive.

Yes, unions were seen as part of the problem, with that process, but I don't recall any hint that undermining unions were part of the process of outsourcing.

Why do you say "pretend"?
It’s a political game. They don’t care about workers, they sent the jobs away in the first place.

So, you missed that entire debate about Free Trade Ideologues vs economic self interest Populism in the primaries?

What actually happened was the Free Trade Ideologues used to rule the GOP. They got their way for a long time.

Eventually, far too slowly, imo, the less Ideologically and more pragmatic republicans, managed to sway the party to a new direction.

The Free Traders who sent the jobs overseas, were not pretending. They believe in Free Trade.

The Economic Nationalists who want those jobs back, are not pretending. We want those jobs back.

Republicans turned good paid union workers into villains which made it ok to buy products from other countries. Previously people wanted to buy USA made.

You don't want those goods bought? Then support Trump in his attempts to change trade policy.

Moving production to Thailand does not change the problem.

1. Does punish China for their predatory trade practices.

2. Does stop feeding the Dragon.;

3. And you are assuming that NONE of the jobs can ever come back? That seems defeatist.

3. And you are assuming that NONE of the jobs can ever come back? That seems defeatist.

You can assume anything you want. Raising prices to the consumer isnt going to do it.

You can assume anything you want. Raising prices to the consumer isnt going to do it.

i'm not assuming anything. I asked you if you were. You did not answer.

Raising prices to the consumer, very well could bring back jobs. If it gives enough of an edge to DOMESTIC manufacturing, to compete with Third World labor.

I'm against having American workers compete with Third World workers on a level playing field.

We've tried that. It does not work for US.

So, let's not do it anymore.

Yeah, I don't recall events moving like that. Free Trade was based on the idea that we needed to and could become more competitive.

Yes, unions were seen as part of the problem, with that process, but I don't recall any hint that undermining unions were part of the process of outsourcing.
I always thought our trade woes started when we let cheap, reliable Japanese cars and electronic gadgets flood the market in the 70's and 80's. The word on the street was American cars were junk that fall apart and Japenese cars were cheaper, got better gas mileage and lasted longer. Honda, Toyota, Datsun and Sony - those 4 companies killed us for a long time and we let them. Maybe we felt guilty for bombing the shit out of them 30 years earlier.Then the Chinese followed them, and this was before we started outsourcing almost all the manufacturing jobs.

I did answer. Before you even asked.

Raising prices to the consumer, very well could bring back jobs. If it gives enough of an edge to DOMESTIC manufacturing, to compete with Third World labor.

I'm against having American workers compete with Third World workers on a level playing field.

Yes, Capitalism can be destructive.

I always thought our trade woes started when we let cheap, reliable Japanese cars and electronic gadgets to flood the market in the 70's and 80's. The word on the street was American cars were junk that fall apart and Japenese cars were cheaper, got better gas mileage and lasted longer. Honda, Toyota, Datsun and Sony - those 4 companies killed us for a long time and we let them. Maybe we felt guilty for bombing the shit out of them 30 years earlier.Then the Chinese followed them.

True as far as it goes. But that was a long time ago.

American cars are much better now. And a lot of other stuff we do, doesn't seem to get a fair shake in their markets.

REGARDLESS of the reasons, the "trade" is not mutually beneficial, at least not anymore.

We should stop doing it.

1. So, you are assuming that none of those jobs can come back. Well I disagree.

2. Capitalism has a good track record. "Free Trade" not so much.

Assume all you want.

Moving your business to take advantage of cheaper labor is a Capitalistic idea.

Assume all you want.

1. Do you want to craft policy to encourage bring back manufacturing jobs, or not?

2. So is moving it BACK to America, to avoid tariffs.

An Economic Policy Institute study shows that the dramatic increase in CEO compensation has a large impact on increasing inequality--worker pay could have doubled without the rise in CEO income.
CEO Compensation Increased 940% Between 1978 and 2018, Workers' Only by 12%

But, greed is good isn't it ?

and the average NFL player salary has increased by about that same amount between 1978 and present along with most other professional sports players and actors and actresses
but not once have I've heard a liberal bitch about that

Assume all you want.

1. Do you want to craft policy to encourage bring back manufacturing jobs, or not?

When someone comes up with a policy to bring jobs back we can then discuss that.

Assume all you want.

When someone comes up with a policy to bring jobs back we can then discuss that.

Dude. That is cowardly in the extreme.

An Economic Policy Institute study shows that the dramatic increase in CEO compensation has a large impact on increasing inequality--worker pay could have doubled without the rise in CEO income.
CEO Compensation Increased 940% Between 1978 and 2018, Workers' Only by 12%

But, greed is good isn't it ?

and the average NFL player salary has increased by about that same amount between 1978 and present along with most other professional sports players and actors and actresses
but not once have I've heard a liberal bitch about that

I don't go to pro sports games or movies. Well, I don't go to the top levels. Minor league ball instill enjoy. Parking and the best seat in the place for $10 tops.

Not if the labor market is flooded with cheap foreign labor. Power will always been [be] with the employer in such a situation.

Unemployment is at 3.6%. We have far more jobs than we have workers. So explain to me how that places the power with the employer.

Assume all you want.

Dude. That is cowardly in the extreme.

That is factual to the point. I can not comment on what has not been done.

Not if the labor market is flooded with cheap foreign labor. Power will always been [be] with the employer in such a situation.

Unemployment is at 3.6%. We have far more jobs than we have workers. So explain to me how that places the power with the employer.

Despite that wages are not going up or at the very best barely trickling up. That isn't the case for the "overhead".

Forum List

Back