CEO Crushes The Minimum Wage Lie: "It's Cheaper To Buy A Robot Than Hire At $15/Hour"

I get tired of whelping little businessmen whining about how tough they have it. OH, boo-hoo, my employees expect to get paid.

Actually, I've found I agree to a wage, and then I find out how my employer is going to find ways to cheat me at the first opportunity. Because they always do.

Employers taking the cost of what you steal out of your final check isn't them "cheating you" JoeB Stalin.

[

Last company I worked for paid me $10,000 in "Please don't sue us money".

What did you do, stick you hand in the fryer?

Nah, they wouldn't give you that much.

Did you shit on a big mac, serve it to a customer and video tape it, blackmailing your boss that you'd put it on YouTube? How did you extort them?

Please don't even INFER that you didn't understand my post.

Your post was stupid, as you well know.

Increased labor costs will force business to adapt to the economic shock. Those with high elasticity will increase prices to compensate. Those like fast food with low elasticity will find other ways t deal with it. Lay offs, smaller sizes, and automation.

There is no free lunch

McDonalds had the worst year in their history for FY 2015, with 2016 shaping up to be just as bad. Raising prices during declining sales is asking to go bankrupt.

Automation not only lowers costs, it increases quality and reduces scrap. The "15 and out" program is doing wonders.
You maintain, on a continuous basis, that a CEOs job is to increase profit.
Any CEO that holds back from Automation, which you claim increases profit, deserves to be fired.
If you can't flowchart that logic I suggest lowering your alcoholic intake.

Please don't even INFER that you didn't understand my post.

Your post was stupid, as you well know.

Increased labor costs will force business to adapt to the economic shock. Those with high elasticity will increase prices to compensate. Those like fast food with low elasticity will find other ways t deal with it. Lay offs, smaller sizes, and automation.

There is no free lunch

McDonalds had the worst year in their history for FY 2015, with 2016 shaping up to be just as bad. Raising prices during declining sales is asking to go bankrupt.

Automation not only lowers costs, it increases quality and reduces scrap. The "15 and out" program is doing wonders.
You maintain, on a continuous basis, that a CEOs job is to increase profit.
Any CEO that holds back from Automation, which you claim increases profit, deserves to be fired.
If you can't flowchart that logic I suggest lowering your alcoholic intake.

And actually Wall St acknowledges McDonalds current turnaround is sustainable and progressing well. Profits are currently on an upswing

lol Joe, I didn't hear this story

Yup, after a year of trying to get me to quit on my own, when they did let me go, they offered me a pretty good severance package, on the promise NOT to sue them for medical discrimination.

Since the ship was clearly sinking, I was happy to walk away, but the fact is, they should have stuck with the people they had long term, not fire those of us who had been with them since the beginning.

So essentially, this job did cure me of Republican Bullshit. so I guess it was worth it.

Sure. Everyone puts everything they have on the line to start a company gets a vote. Everyone else can watch.

I get tired of whelping little businessmen whining about how tough they have it. OH, boo-hoo, my employees expect to get paid.

Arrogance from the mind of one who has no clue. Let me guess, you're one of those who think all businesses are connected to an endless supply of cash and you can just mandate that they spend it. Here's your challenge. Start a business and grow it to the point where you employ 10 people full time. Then you get to talk about it.

Who makes anyone work for less than an arbitrary wage? Last I checked, you worked for an agreed upon wage, and if you wanted more, you learned a skill or got experience to get it.

Actually, I've found I agree to a wage, and then I find out how my employer is going to find ways to cheat me at the first opportunity. Because they always do.

Right, and you never cheat your employer, do you? Never take sick time when you're not sick, never cut out 15 minutes early on Friday but "forget" to note it on your time sheet, never waste time that he pays you for, never take office supplies home, never use corporate resources for your own purposes, none of that stuff. Nah, he owes that to you, right?

Tell you what, let's DO a living wage. Let's set it to what's required to support a teenager in high school who lives at home with Mom and Dad, or a retiree who wants to do something to keep himself busy. That way we don't price kids out of the job market when they're trying to earn work experience or make it impossible for older people to feel useful. That would work.

Wow, I love how you guys try to pretend you are doing these kids a favor when you underpay them.

Heck yeah, they're getting a favor. Let them work for 2 summers before graduating high school and they'll be far ahead of the other graduates when it comes to looking for a job. Of course, that wouldn't be fair to the kids who partied all summer long, would it?

How does a Capitalist say "Fuck you"? "Trust me!"
You sound bitter. You should see someone about that.

Tough. He did it illegally and gets no sympathy.

Tough, you are cheating working people annd get no sympathy.
And Al Capone was just an honest business man out to make a buck. Hey, laws don't matter.

Fact of life, some jobs are not worth that much money, and will be done without expensive human labor when labor costs get too high.

Right, and you never cheat your employer, do you? Never take sick time when you're not sick, never cut out 15 minutes early on Friday but "forget" to note it on your time sheet, never waste time that he pays you for, never take office supplies home, never use corporate resources for your own purposes, none of that stuff. Nah, he owes that to you, right?

Okay, let's look at that.

Nope, I have to be damned close to dead to take a sick day. At my last job- where I worked 7 years - I took exactly one sick day in that time. The job previous to that, I took maybe 10 sick days in six years, but six of those were related to surgeries.

I'm salary, we don't do time sheets. More often than not, though, I work late most days.

Now, by comparison, the thing that cured me of Republican stupidity was after I had a medical issue Imentioned, they tried to get rid of me, but they didn't have grounds. Then they tried to change myjob description. That didn't work. Finally, they gave me a bag of "Please don't sue us money".

Arrogance from the mind of one who has no clue. Let me guess, you're one of those who think all businesses are connected to an endless supply of cash and you can just mandate that they spend it. Here's your challenge. Start a business and grow it to the point where you employ 10 people full time. Then you get to talk about it.

Guy, I have a business, thanks. I only employ myself, and I'm happey with that.
And Al Capone was just an honest business man out to make a buck. Hey, laws don't matter.

Fact of life, some jobs are not worth that much money, and will be done without expensive human labor when labor costs get too high.

Guy, the automation threat is an empty threat and always has been.

Okay, let's look at that.

Nope, I have to be damned close to dead to take a sick day. At my last job- where I worked 7 years - I took exactly one sick day in that time. The job previous to that, I took maybe 10 sick days in six years, but six of those were related to surgeries.

I'm salary, we don't do time sheets. More often than not, though, I work late most days.

Now, by comparison, the thing that cured me of Republican stupidity was after I had a medical issue Imentioned, they tried to get rid of me, but they didn't have grounds. Then they tried to change myjob description. That didn't work. Finally, they gave me a bag of "Please don't sue us money".

For which you stupidly blame Republicans, which have nothing to do with it. You do realize you've been played for a fool on that, right?

Guy, I have a business, thanks. I only employ myself, and I'm happey with that.

Which means you haven't met the criteria and have no idea what it means to make a payroll when you have a bad quarter. You have only yourself to complain at you, the management, and no unions trying to unionize you against yourself.

Guy, the automation threat is an empty threat and always has been.
When was the last time you pumped your own gas or stood in line at the bank to get some cash?

For which you stupidly blame Republicans, which have nothing to do with it. You do realize you've been played for a fool on that, right?

Yes, I blamed Republicans when my ex-boss announced, "That's why I'm glad I don't have to deal with a union." That's when I realized how much they've shifted the balance away from working people towards the 1%...

Which means you haven't met the criteria and have no idea what it means to make a payroll when you have a bad quarter. You have only yourself to complain at you, the management, and no unions trying to unionize you against yourself.

Yes. On a related note, I haven't suggested to any rape victims that they need to buy a strap on Dildo and do rape the right way.

YOu see, I don't GIVE A FUCK what businessmen have to do. We need to look out for working people first and foremost. They're the ones who make the country work. The businessman is just a parasite who's convinced you he's a vital organ.

When was the last time you pumped your own gas or stood in line at the bank to get some cash?

Guy, I ususally see a long line at the teller and the ATM not even being used.

Yes, I blamed Republicans when my ex-boss announced, "That's why I'm glad I don't have to deal with a union." That's when I realized how much they've shifted the balance away from working people towards the 1%...

And you believe a democrat business owner would have done what, exactly? Regardless, you emotionally reacted to one person's actions and transferred that emotion to an entire party. Odd.

Yes. On a related note, I haven't suggested to any rape victims that they need to buy a strap on Dildo and do rape the right way.

Related? Not so much.

YOu see, I don't GIVE A FUCK what businessmen have to do. We need to look out for working people first and foremost. They're the ones who make the country work. The businessman is just a parasite who's convinced you he's a vital organ.

Businessmen ARE working people.

Guy, I ususally see a long line at the teller and the ATM not even being used.
Did you ever wonder WHY there's no line at the ATM? Here's a hint. There's no line because it takes very little time to use one. Slide your card, tell it how much cash you want, take it and go. You don't even have to go inside to do it. The teller, OTOH, requires you to fill out a form from which they transfer some of the same information into the system and verify your ID, after which they count out the cash and put it in an envelope. Thus, those waiting in line to see a teller are not there to get cash. They are there to do business that can't be done at the ATM. If they prefer waiting in line to get cash from a teller, they're not firing on all cylinders.

Or they can call get fired because for $15/h we can hire someone with actual skills.

Fuck the MW workers.

Right.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't get rid of slavery. We did.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't end child labor. We did.
And you keep saying we can't replace MW workers with kiosks and automated machines. We can, and will. Already have at the gas pump, grocery stores are not far behind.
My local grocery store has had self-checkout for two years.
The self checkout machines replaced 16 employees X2 (2 shifts a day)= 32 employees who were laid off permanently.
Now one employee is always hovering around the machines willing to teach customers how to use the machines.

Or they can call get fired because for $15/h we can hire someone with actual skills.

Fuck the MW workers.

Right.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't get rid of slavery. We did.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't end child labor. We did.
And you keep saying we can't replace MW workers with kiosks and automated machines. We can, and will. Already have at the gas pump, grocery stores are not far behind.
My local grocery store has had self-checkout for two years.
The self checkout machines replaced 16 employees X2 (2 shifts a day)= 32 employees who were laid off permanently.
Now one employee is always hovering around the machines willing to teach customers how to use the machines.
It will not be long before young people will be talking about how quaint it was in the old days when you had to wait on a person to ring up your groceries for you and you had to deal with a person just to grab a quick lunch.

I have a couple of young millennials in my family.
They both graduated HS and both attended college for a couple of years taking 'vanity courses' AKA useless when it came time to find a decent secure job. Anyway.

They are your basic average young people with good personal habits.
Both are in their mid twenties.
I guessing between them they have had at least a couple of dozen insecure, low paying, 'nowheresville' jobs since they left college.
Their future is fucking bleak to say the least.
Most of their friends are in the same boat.
There will NEVER be any real secure decent paying jobs for them. EVER!
Recently at a family reunion I was asked my advice on how to deal with the realities facing them.
My advice, which I doubt will be taken until the time is critical was as follows:
Move away from the suburbs. Move to where small farming is thriving. Do everything you can to learn good small farming practises. By any means possible try to secure even an acre of good land with a stable water supply.
Grow crops that other people are willing to buy and or trade for. Get involved with the local 'gray market' (which is booming!).
Reduce your luxury expenditures.
Learn to be happy by being productive.
I'll keep saying it:
Within a couple of decades millions of unskilled, low skilled people will by necessity have to survive the way millions of people are in rural China today.
Those who start now are the 'smart' ones. Those who continue to live in denial will be the first to perish. Literally.
No mythical government agency is going to help.

And you believe a democrat business owner would have done what, exactly? Regardless, you emotionally reacted to one person's actions and transferred that emotion to an entire party. Odd.

One party fought for the interests of working people for the last 100 years.

The other party has spent the last 40 years trying to undermine it.

You see, the last year of my Dad's life, I'm pretty sure that his boss would have liked to have fired him. The Union wouldn't let him.

But this guy didn't have to deal with a union.

Now, the sequal to that is this same clown is now one of the vendors I have to deal with and he spends a lot of time trying to stay on my good side.

One party fought for the interests of working people for the last 100 years.

The other party has spent the last 40 years trying to undermine it.

You say that like you heard some talking points and believed them.

You see, the last year of my Dad's life, I'm pretty sure that his boss would have liked to have fired him. The Union wouldn't let him.

But this guy didn't have to deal with a union.

Now, the sequal to that is this same clown is now one of the vendors I have to deal with and he spends a lot of time trying to stay on my good side.
IOW, you have a service he's willing to buy. Just be sure to let us know when you have 10 employees breathing down your neck and you can't make payroll. We'll wait.

Forum List

Back