CEO Crushes The Minimum Wage Lie: "It's Cheaper To Buy A Robot Than Hire At $15/Hour"

at-will is a particular kind of unwritten labor contract, it has very specific legal rights attached to both sides.

Stupid people can't find jobs because we've got too many damn unskilled people - also why we have a low entry job pay rate.

As for the latter, yes, is their own damned fault if they stay in a job they don't like, who is /forcing/ them to stay? The only answer there is their own actions and irresponsibility in their lives that now require them to pay for raising a family, apparently straight out of HS with absolutely no job experience or skills. That is /not/ the responsibility of the employer.

The employer's /only/ responsibility is to the non-written at-will labor contract to provide payment at $x per hour for whatever hours the employee worked.

And when we make the Minimum wage a living wage, like it should be, then they can pay that.

Fuck the bastards.

Or they can call get fired because for $15/h we can hire someone with actual skills.

Fuck the MW workers.

Or they can call get fired because for $15/h we can hire someone with actual skills.

Fuck the MW workers.

Right.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't get rid of slavery. We did.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't end child labor. We did.

"waaaaaaa I accepted and stay at a job at minimum wage cause I'm a moron."

<-- 1%er stealing the tissues to wipe away tears of laughter.

1%er whining because he'll have to pay fair wages.
Facts of life for the peanut gallery:

1. Employees want to get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible.
2. Employers want to get as much work done as possible while paying as little as possible for it.
3. When employees have experience or skills that make their work more valuable than other employees and random people off the streets, employers pay more for their work.

Such are the facts of life.

"Fair wages"? We already pay "fair wages" based on how many idiots can handle the job we're hiring for.

Here's the way this goes down - We put out an ad in the paper saying we have a job that pays minimum wage. Idiots come in and interview for the job, they want it, even though it's minimum wage. So we hire them. Then a bunch of bleeding heart idiots who have nothing to do with the /contract/ between myself and my MW employee interfere and tell me that I'm not paying the idiot enough. I say, well he accepted the job at MW, that's the contract ~shrug~

Then I'm called "greedy" and "evil" - it's hilarious.

heres the problem with that argument. There's no contract involved. You see, if the minimum wage employee had a contract, he could hold you to account for the parts you aren't living up to.

Most companies are "At Will" employment even for the non-MW jobs. they give you an employee handbook where the first page says "THIS IS NOT A CONTRACT".

What I also find amusing is that you guys will defend your right to hire minimum wage workers and exploit them, but if the guy down the street hires a bunch of illegals at $5.00 an hour, and undercuts your business, you'll be the first ones whining about it.
You mean the guy that illegally hires illegal workers to work illegally, while everyone else is following the law?

Fuck the MW workers.

Right.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't get rid of slavery. We did.

Just like some asshole like you said we couldn't end child labor. We did.
And you keep saying we can't replace MW workers with kiosks and automated machines. We can, and will. Already have at the gas pump, grocery stores are not far behind.

Oh look. When backed into a corner by their green eyed envy, they call us slavers and child abusers. :blahblah:

I'll have you know I treat my child slaves quite well. I still try to send them play money every month, but the stubborn bastards are too set on making it on their own. One of them is living with a filthy peasant off the street in Fairview ~shudders~ He makes more than enough to move into a nicer neighborhood, but he doesn't think it's worth it until he finds a woman slave to clean the house for him. So annoying. ~rolls eyes dismissively~

1. Employees want to get paid as much as possible for doing as little as possible.
2. Employers want to get as much work done as possible while paying as little as possible for it.
3. When employees have experience or skills that make their work more valuable than other employees and random people off the streets, employers pay more for their work.

Good point. SOOOO since there are more employees than employers in this country, let's put it to a vote, shall we?

And you keep saying we can't replace MW workers with kiosks and automated machines. We can, and will. Already have at the gas pump, grocery stores are not far behind.

Yeah, you know what, most people ignore the automated machines and go right to a person if they can... so you ended up buying an expensive machine and STILL had to hire a person.

Oh look. When backed into a corner by their green eyed envy, they call us slavers and child abusers.

Isn't about Envy, guy, it's about doing what it right.

People owning people was wrong.

Making children do hard labor was wrong.

Making people work for less than a living wage is wrong.

The stupid thing is, you guys have created a permanent dependent class. When government does more for you than the people you bust your ass for for 40+ hours a week, and all you have to do is show up and vote for them.... you kind of dug yourself into a hole.

Don't be shocked when someone pushes the dirt in over you.

You mean the guy that illegally hires illegal workers to work illegally, while everyone else is following the law?

Hey, he made a profit. And frankly, those illegals are grateful, unlike those MW workers who complain because they don't want to live 15 people to a room.

Good point. SOOOO since there are more employees than employers in this country, let's put it to a vote, shall we?
Sure. Everyone puts everything they have on the line to start a company gets a vote. Everyone else can watch.

Yeah, you know what, most people ignore the automated machines and go right to a person if they can... so you ended up buying an expensive machine and STILL had to hire a person.
Right, because those full serve gas pumps are just so much more popular, and the self serve ones never get used. Oh wait, full serve is in fact very hard to find and self serve is literally everywhere. People get used to stuff amazingly fast when they have to. They will get used to ordering fast food at a push button kiosk and picking it up at a window, no human hands needed. It will be considered a luxury to have a person take your order and bring it to you.

Hey, he made a profit. And frankly, those illegals are grateful, unlike those MW workers who complain because they don't want to live 15 people to a room.
Tough. He did it illegally and gets no sympathy.

Oh look. When backed into a corner by their green eyed envy, they call us slavers and child abusers.

Isn't about Envy, guy, it's about doing what it right.

People owning people was wrong.

Making children do hard labor was wrong.

Making people work for less than a living wage is wrong.

The stupid thing is, you guys have created a permanent dependent class. When government does more for you than the people you bust your ass for for 40+ hours a week, and all you have to do is show up and vote for them.... you kind of dug yourself into a hole.

Don't be shocked when someone pushes the dirt in over you.
Who makes anyone work for less than an arbitrary wage? Last I checked, you worked for an agreed upon wage, and if you wanted more, you learned a skill or got experience to get it.

Tell you what, let's DO a living wage. Let's set it to what's required to support a teenager in high school who lives at home with Mom and Dad, or a retiree who wants to do something to keep himself busy. That way we don't price kids out of the job market when they're trying to earn work experience or make it impossible for older people to feel useful. That would work.

i was at a panera bread where they had one of these Kiosks.

There was one person trying to use the Kiosk and 20 people waiting in line for a HUMAN to take their order. I actually tried to use the Kiosk because I was kind of in a hurry between meeting clients. Ten seconds of scrolling and I took my business somewhre else.

You're too fucking stupid to use a Kiosk, Stalin.

But 99.999% of the population can tie their own shoes, wipe their own ass, and touch pictures on a kiosk.

If anything, they are LESS efficient, because they can only serve one customer at a time, and that customer has to take the time to figure out what he wants (by scrolling through the option) then running his order.

Which will still have to be prepared by a human in the back.

You're a dumb one Stalin, they already allow smart phones to connect an put in orders with Apple Pay and Google Wallet.

They are FAR more efficient and vastly more convenient for customers who make sure their order is right.

Please don't even INFER that you didn't understand my post.

Your post was stupid, as you well know.

Increased labor costs will force business to adapt to the economic shock. Those with high elasticity will increase prices to compensate. Those like fast food with low elasticity will find other ways t deal with it. Lay offs, smaller sizes, and automation.

There is no free lunch

McDonalds had the worst year in their history for FY 2015, with 2016 shaping up to be just as bad. Raising prices during declining sales is asking to go bankrupt.

Automation not only lowers costs, it increases quality and reduces scrap. The "15 and out" program is doing wonders.

Sure. Everyone puts everything they have on the line to start a company gets a vote. Everyone else can watch.

I get tired of whelping little businessmen whining about how tough they have it. OH, boo-hoo, my employees expect to get paid.

Who makes anyone work for less than an arbitrary wage? Last I checked, you worked for an agreed upon wage, and if you wanted more, you learned a skill or got experience to get it.

Actually, I've found I agree to a wage, and then I find out how my employer is going to find ways to cheat me at the first opportunity. Because they always do.

Tell you what, let's DO a living wage. Let's set it to what's required to support a teenager in high school who lives at home with Mom and Dad, or a retiree who wants to do something to keep himself busy. That way we don't price kids out of the job market when they're trying to earn work experience or make it impossible for older people to feel useful. That would work.

Wow, I love how you guys try to pretend you are doing these kids a favor when you underpay them.

How does a Capitalist say "Fuck you"? "Trust me!"

Forum List

Back