Charlottesville Driver May have Been Panicked into Losing Control of His Car

Just read this and thought I'd post an update: It appears the charge against Fields has been upgraded to first degree murder.

Charlottesville murder suspect faces life

It's common for prosecutors to over-charge. If the Defense keeps racists off the jury, there won't be a murder conviction. The driver was in a hostile crowd that had attacked his car, making fleeing a reasonable thing. It just so happens his path was blocked by a car. If he wanted to hurt people, he would have swerved to the crowded sidewalk instead of hitting the car in front of him.

The bimbo who died was breaking the law by being in the street. She also shouldn't have been part of the mob bent on denying others their free speech rights.

This thread has over 100 pages going over this, so I won't get into much detail. To summarize, the sidewalk wasn't particularly more crowded than the street; by the time the car was struck, it was already probably going to hit someone; if there had been no car, it's entirely possible that Fields still wouldn't have been able to pass through, because of how crowded the streets were; it does not require racism for someone to look at the evidence and believe this was an attack rather than some sort of escape attempt.
The fact that he shifted into reverse to escape after running over pedestrians indicates it was an attack. Had he actually been trying to escape, he could have brought his car to a stop and shifted into reverse before hitting anyone.

And again, the fact that his air bags didn't deploy on a serious head-on, indicating they were deliberately disabled before he came down the street, indicates it was premeditated.

How do you know the airbag did not deploy? I don't recall if you mentioned before in the thread; it's been a while. :)

Yes I brought it in here months ago. You can see into the windows in some of the photos/videos, just after impact.

The car will be fully examined and whether or not the airbags were disabled will be made abundantly known. For real, not for message board.

This is just the kind of case where there is hard "evidence" supporting one side which turns out to the nothing at all and the position loses. What you see, is basically what you want to see, and might be far different from what a jury sees.

What made no sense......They were in place to prevent this .....until they werent ....the attack occurred just shortly after it left.......btw cop wasnt ordered to leave by her superiors,,,,,,,guess this is new info to you eh

It's common for prosecutors to over-charge. If the Defense keeps racists off the jury, there won't be a murder conviction. The driver was in a hostile crowd that had attacked his car, making fleeing a reasonable thing. It just so happens his path was blocked by a car. If he wanted to hurt people, he would have swerved to the crowded sidewalk instead of hitting the car in front of him.

The bimbo who died was breaking the law by being in the street. She also shouldn't have been part of the mob bent on denying others their free speech rights.

This thread has over 100 pages going over this, so I won't get into much detail. To summarize, the sidewalk wasn't particularly more crowded than the street; by the time the car was struck, it was already probably going to hit someone; if there had been no car, it's entirely possible that Fields still wouldn't have been able to pass through, because of how crowded the streets were; it does not require racism for someone to look at the evidence and believe this was an attack rather than some sort of escape attempt.
The fact that he shifted into reverse to escape after running over pedestrians indicates it was an attack. Had he actually been trying to escape, he could have brought his car to a stop and shifted into reverse before hitting anyone.

And again, the fact that his air bags didn't deploy on a serious head-on, indicating they were deliberately disabled before he came down the street, indicates it was premeditated.
No. It doesn't. Does the plaquard next to the air bag cut off read "when about to commit vehicular homicide; turn switch into the off position." No? I didn't think so either. You better hope the prosecutor brings a much better game than you do...

:lol:

• The airbag did not deploy.
  • The car IS equipped with airbags which activate upon front impact.
  • If that airbag deploys when he hits however many people he can crunch, it impairs his ability to drive away
  • Those airbags CAN be disabled.
  • The airbag did not deploy.
  • He was indeed able to drive away, completely off that street, unimpaired by airbag.
Rotsa ruck.
Rotsa ruck proving OEM feature is indicative of intent to kill...

Well if the board is any indication of the potential jury pool; I'd wager this case is anything but, a slam dunk...
You can never tell what a jury will do, even if you work in the court system and see everything that they do.

But it is still the best way to put people on trial.

The critical fact for me was that the guy shifted into reverse far too fast for anyone who was panicked into flight.

His quickness in changing gears and reversing his car demonstrates to my mind that the whole thing was thought out beforehand, which rules out panic reaction.
That could just as easily be interpreted as an overwhelming instinct to his flight reaction...

Well if the board is any indication of the potential jury pool; I'd wager this case is anything but, a slam dunk...
You can never tell what a jury will do, even if you work in the court system and see everything that they do.

But it is still the best way to put people on trial.

The critical fact for me was that the guy shifted into reverse far too fast for anyone who was panicked into flight.

His quickness in changing gears and reversing his car demonstrates to my mind that the whole thing was thought out beforehand, which rules out panic reaction.

Exactly. That and the nondeployed airbag. All looks according to plan.
Only when that’s all you are willing to see...

The car will be fully examined and whether or not the airbags were disabled will be made abundantly known. For real, not for message board.

No shit Sherlock. We pointed all this out months ago. It was presumably determined the day of or at least the week of.

The original pics/videos showing clearly no air bag deployed are way back in this thread but here's a new angle I hadn't seen before to add:

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Just after the impact. You can clearly see the driver's hands on the wheel at the 10 o'clock/2o'clock position. You can clearly see the outline of his shirt, and his face. Had the air bag deployed, we wouldn't see those shirtsleeves. Or the shoulder harness diagonally across his shirt.

Also I understand when the air bag deploys it activates an automatic fuel shut-off switch, which disables the engine, which would have made it impossible to throw it into reverse and tear back up the street. Obviously that didn't happen either. Again, if you disable the system beforehand -- it won't. And if your aim is to ram people with a car and run away, you disable that system.

Although I'm sure the board Nazis will float the idea that it the fuel did shut off and the local police pulled the car back up the street with a giant magnet. Anything to get the terrorist off the hook............

No shit Sherlock. We pointed all this out months ago. It was presumably determined the day of or at least the week of.

The original pics/videos showing clearly no air bag deployed are way back in this thread but here's a new angle I hadn't seen before to add:

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Just after the impact. You can clearly see the driver's hands on the wheel at the 10 o'clock/2o'clock position. You can clearly see the outline of his shirt, and his face. Had the air bag deployed, we wouldn't see those shirtsleeves.

Also I understand when the air bag deploys it activates an automatic fuel shut-off switch, which disables the engine, which would have made it impossible to throw it into reverse and tear back up the street. Obviously that didn't happen either.

Although I'm sure the board Nazis will float the idea that it the fuel did shut off and the local police pulled the car back up the street with a giant magnet. Anything to get the terrorist off the hook............
No need for conspiratorial theatrics... I have the airbags disabled in my truck right now. Does that mean I’m about to kill someone with it? And please do have the balls to answer....

Just read this and thought I'd post an update: It appears the charge against Fields has been upgraded to first degree murder.

Charlottesville murder suspect faces life

No. It doesn't. Does the plaquard next to the air bag cut off read "when about to commit vehicular homicide; turn switch into the off position." No? I didn't think so either. You better hope the prosecutor brings a much better game than you do...
I didn't know you could shut off your airbags. My car doesn't appear to have that switch...

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Just after the impact. You can clearly see the driver's hands on the wheel at the 10 o'clock/2o'clock position. You can clearly see the outline of his shirt, and his face. Had the air bag deployed, we wouldn't see those shirtsleeves.

Also I understand when the air bag deploys it activates an automatic fuel shut-off switch, which disables the engine, which would have made it impossible to throw it into reverse and tear back up the street. Obviously that didn't happen either.

No need for conspiratorial theatrics... I have the airbags disabled in my truck right now. Does that mean I’m about to kill someone with it? And please do have the balls to answer....
Why would you disable them?

Fight or Flight? Is it an instinctive or a learned behavior?

So who is teaching all them thar birds to take flight when my cat comes up?

Birds dont hang around in schools like fish do ya know.

:D

The fight or flight response refers to a specific biochemical reaction that both humans and animals experience during intense stress or fear. The sympathetic nervous system releases hormones that cause changes to occur throughout the body.

Did he run, or did he fight, that is your question. Mens rea can be determined by facts present before and after the act, and thus determine the actors culpability.

What We Know About James Alex Fields, Driver Charged in Charlottesville Killing

Common sense of the members of the jury will determine his intent.

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Just after the impact. You can clearly see the driver's hands on the wheel at the 10 o'clock/2o'clock position. You can clearly see the outline of his shirt, and his face. Had the air bag deployed, we wouldn't see those shirtsleeves. Or the shoulder harness diagonally across his shirt.

Also I understand when the air bag deploys it activates an automatic fuel shut-off switch, which disables the engine, which would have made it impossible to throw it into reverse and tear back up the street. Obviously that didn't happen either. Again, if you disable the system beforehand -- it won't. And if your aim is to ram people with a car and run away, you disable that system.

Wow! That picture sure looks like the man is under an intense attack. No wonder he got out of there in a panic.

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Wow! That picture sure looks like the man is under an intense attack. No wonder he got out of there in a panic.

Yeah, it's too bad someone in the crowd immediately after the event didn't counsel the poor fellow and assure him he was the victim of mob violence. I'm sure you agree, tippsy.

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Yeah, it's too bad someone in the crowd immediately after the event didn't counsel the poor fellow and assure him he was the victim of mob violence. I'm sure you agree, tippsy.

The baseball bat that crushed in his windshield did an excellent job of assuring him that he was the victim of mob violence.

DHDpcAJW0AAxatL.jpg

Why would you disable them?
While that is irrelevant in the case at hand; mine are disabled because I need access to the gear I keep in the truck, and cannot afford to have the fuel cut off engage in the event of a collision.

Small under-reported fact....there was a police car blocking that street that was moved just prior to the attack....withdrawn.......
Even if true, that doesn’t offer anyone the right to drive their car into a crowd of people.
Love how people reply to what they think was said instead of what was posted
You implied Fields would get off because a squad car moved away from that street, did you not? What part of that do you think I got wrong?

Small under-reported fact....there was a police car blocking that street that was moved just prior to the attack....withdrawn.......
Even if true, that doesn’t offer anyone the right to drive their car into a crowd of people.
Love how people reply to what they think was said instead of what was posted
You implied Fields would get off because a squad car moved away from that street, did you not? What part of that do you think I got wrong?
Another example......of seeing what you want.......there is a stated fact........and moonbats make up shit to fit their prejudice

Fight or Flight? Is it an instinctive or a learned behavior?

So who is teaching all them thar birds to take flight when my cat comes up?

Birds dont hang around in schools like fish do ya know.

:D

The fight or flight response refers to a specific biochemical reaction that both humans and animals experience during intense stress or fear. The sympathetic nervous system releases hormones that cause changes to occur throughout the body.

Did he run, or did he fight, that is your question. Mens rea can be determined by facts present before and after the act, and thus determine the actors culpability.

What We Know About James Alex Fields, Driver Charged in Charlottesville Killing

Common sense of the members of the jury will determine his intent.
I worry a bit about the first degree murder charge. It's a lot harder to determine premeditation. I KNOW they think the airbag thing proves it, but the jury may not buy it. Like Vastator said, that guy may have disabled his airbags years ago.
I wouldn't want to see him walk. Is he still charged with second degree murder just in case?

I didn't know you could shut off your airbags. My car doesn't appear to have that switch...

Cars don't have switches to turn off air bags. You'll gave to forgive the asshole bigot who manufactures evidence to justify his prejudice against the kid.

If there should have been an airbag discharge, but wasn't one, most likely the car had been in a previous collision and the air bags were never replaced.

Forum List

Back