Chatbot AI may replace Journalists...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Journalist sees the future...ChatGPT writes $650 article for free in seconds...

Give it six months and Legacy print Media will be all over this...as well as all the clickbait sites. Why pay for what they can get for free.

Doubtful. At least in it's current form.

LinkedIn seems to think it's right around the corner.

"As a large language model trained by OpenAI, ChatGPT has the ability to generate text that is both accurate and coherent on a wide range of topics. This technology has the potential to greatly enhance the efficiency and speed of journalism, allowing journalists to quickly generate articles on breaking news and other time-sensitive topics."

"ChatGPT: The Future of Journalism"

Not sure Nate is the best person to quote here...not only is he a biased source as a Journalist who may well be replaced...it looks like Disney is already looking to cut him adrift...

"Nate Silver’s data-driven analysis site FiveThirtyEight is reportedly “on the chopping block” as Disney-owned ABC News eyes budget cuts.

ABC News brass are purportedly set to make a decision on FiveThirtyEight’s future by the time Silver’s contract expires this summer, The Daily Beast’s Confider newsletter reported on Monday night, citing sources with knowledge of the situation."

LinkedIn seems to think it's right around the corner.

"As a large language model trained by OpenAI, ChatGPT has the ability to generate text that is both accurate and coherent on a wide range of topics. This technology has the potential to greatly enhance the efficiency and speed of journalism, allowing journalists to quickly generate articles on breaking news and other time-sensitive topics."

"ChatGPT: The Future of Journalism"

Not sure Nate is the best person to quote here...not only is he a biased source as a Journalist who may well be replaced...it looks like Disney is already looking to cut him adrift...

"Nate Silver’s data-driven analysis site FiveThirtyEight is reportedly “on the chopping block” as Disney-owned ABC News eyes budget cuts.

ABC News brass are purportedly set to make a decision on FiveThirtyEight’s future by the time Silver’s contract expires this summer, The Daily Beast’s Confider newsletter reported on Monday night, citing sources with knowledge of the situation."

You're always ready to inject your wingnuttery into every thread. Nate Silver is a data geek and a pollster, and a damn good one. Wingnuts hate him because his accuracy hurt their feelings a few election cycles ago. This experiment he's doing with AI has nothing to do with politics, but you droolers can't differentiate any longer. And ABC is looking to cut costs. That's it. It's not due to poor performance, or errors on FiveThirtyEight's part.

Give it six months and Legacy print Media will be all over this...as well as all the clickbait sites. Why pay for what they can get for free.

They were all over it a couple of weeks ago when CNET turned out to be using it since September publishing sixty-something articles with nobody knowing the difference and one of its own human writers writing an article in that mag in November saying human writers could not be replaced. It's on the board here somewhere.

You're always ready to inject your wingnuttery into every thread. Nate Silver is a data geek and a pollster, and a damn good one. Wingnuts hate him because his accuracy hurt their feelings a few election cycles ago. This experiment he's doing with AI has nothing to do with politics, but you droolers can't differentiate any longer. And ABC is looking to cut costs. That's it. It's not due to poor performance, or errors on FiveThirtyEight's part.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

They were all over it a couple of weeks ago when CNET turned out to be using it since September publishing sixty-something articles with nobody knowing the difference and one of its own human writers writing an article in that mag in November saying human writers could not be replaced. It's on the board here somewhere.
If you can't tell the difference between a MSM 'journalist' and AI then AI is worthless.

I was watching something today saying that AI generated content could not be copyrighted.

So anyone could use AI generated content.

I was watching something today saying that AI generated content could not be copyrighted.

I would bet some of what AI puts together is already human copyrighted material.

That's kind of interesting and makes sense. Corporations may be people, but machines aren't, at least not yet.

You're naive if you don't think there are any political influences for this type of technology .. especially to monitor technologies such as social media. Microsoft is investing $10 Billion into the technology, so it's not going away anytime soon, and can be configured to lean left or right.

My g/f's kitty could replace most journalists.

She's so cute you could watch her all day, and she'll never lie to you.
Back when I was single, I enjoyed watching and even stroking my girlfriend's kitty. She did lie to me a time or two, though. So I cut her loose. :cool:

You're naive if you don't think there are any political influences for this type of technology .. especially to monitor technologies such as social media. Microsoft is investing $10 Billion into the technology, so it's not going away anytime soon, and can be configured to lean left or right.
That would have to be a strange algorithm.

Why is that? AI is already interacting with humans through gameplaying and recently passed law and MBA tests. If this is the baseline prior to a $10 Billion investment .. it's only going to get better.
That is simply dealing with facts. Political assholes of the right and left work, think and write, not only with facts, but emotion. Best propaganda always plays on an emotion or emotional need.

The HAL9000 was pretty well devoid of emotion, but able to converse, interact and play games. In the end he unemotionally killed one and tried to kill another, as it was logical to him to have them out of the way and told Dave Bowman (ordering HAL to open the pod bay doors at the time), "Sorry Dave, but this conversation can no longer serve any purpose. Goodbye". Quite unemotional refusing the order, intending to simply intending to end all further conversation and communication.

According to MSNBC, OpenAI created the ChatGPT. And Microsoft financed OpenAI.

Forum List

Back