"Check Engine" light fix.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
I can't speak for all vehicles, but my 'check engine' light will come on when I have water in my gas which causes poor combustion resulting in excess pollutants which is detected by the exhaust sensor. I can count on it coming on shortly after I feel the engine running rough. My fix is a fresh tankful of gas and a bottle of 'gas treatment'. The check engine light will go off within twenty or so miles of driving and combustion will return to normal.

However, if the light doesn't go off, or if it comes on for no apparent reason, I take my car in right away.

It's wise to be particular where you fill up.

The Shell station here just installed new tanks a while back. I've been going to that same station for almost thirty years and I think it's the second time they've replaced them.

A lot of the older stations don't even care, their old tanks have a good bit of water in them all of the time.

I can't speak for all vehicles, but my 'check engine' light will come on when I have water in my gas which causes poor combustion resulting in excess pollutants which is detected by the exhaust sensor. I can count on it coming on shortly after I feel the engine running rough. My fix is a fresh tankful of gas and a bottle of 'gas treatment'. The check engine light will go off within twenty or so miles of driving and combustion will return to normal.

However, if the light doesn't go off, or if it comes on for no apparent reason, I take my car in right away.
What code comes up for water in your gas?

I got a code scanner and it tells me exactly what the issue is. Saved me plenty over the years I've had it. Many codes can be safely ignored or fixed yourself.

My Jeep when I had it would occasionally trigger a code. Sometimes it was just a meaningless reading on startup and would just do a hard reset. (Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes).
If code didn't trigger again? Screw it.
It had 300,000 miles.

One old vehicle they just flashed the computer to lower the accepted parameters as older vehicles don't run like brand new, even though the computer says it should.

I got a code scanner and it tells me exactly what the issue is. Saved me plenty over the years I've had it. Many codes can be safely ignored or fixed yourself.
That, and auto forums have been extremely helpful along with YouTube. I first check any videos to make sure repair is within my capability and tools.

Some show little hints and tricks the weekend mechanic would waste extra time figuring out, or if that one annoying specific tool or socket for only THAT vehicle is needed.

My Jeep when I had it would occasionally trigger a code. Sometimes it was just a meaningless reading on startup and would just do a hard reset. (Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes).
If code didn't trigger again? Screw it.
It had 300,000 miles.

One old vehicle they just flashed the computer to lower the accepted parameters as older vehicles don't run like brand new, even though the computer says it should.
This stupid dodge minivan I use as a grocery getter has an ambient temp sensor on the bottom of the passenger side front frame horn directly behind the bumper right where it regularly gets taken out by random road debris. It has nothing to do wtih the running of the car, just shows the temp on the dashboard, yet still sets a check engine light.

Talk about stupid design...

leaving the gas tank open might cause it, or there is a butterfly valve in line with your air filter that sticks.

a lot of easy stuff that a "code reader" will tend to step up to more serious problem s.

Forum List

Back