Chevy Volt Production Put On Five Week Hold

It's STILL $32,500, dupes...95% of owners STILL love it, and the major reason for it's poor sales are STILL BS attacks by the "Un-American" (TIME) Pub propaganda machine...change the channel, ya brainwashed morons LOL!

And how am I "full of shit"? I've already provided links to the tax breaks and subsidies given big oil. Do you truly not remember the SUV tax break? It wasn't that long ago.

Fed Tax Break Encourages SUV Purchases

You might want to read that link and get back to my point. It wasnt a swing and a miss but you just fouled it off.

Next!!

So you object to tax breaks for alternative fuel vehicles and for vehicles like the Prius or Volt, but tax breaks for SUVs didn't bother you back then?
I'm the one that swung and missed? :lol:

Okay...:eusa_eh:

So how many mpg do you get with your VOLT?

And how am I "full of shit"? I've already provided links to the tax breaks and subsidies given big oil. Do you truly not remember the SUV tax break? It wasn't that long ago.

You might want to read that link and get back to my point. It wasnt a swing and a miss but you just fouled it off.

Next!!

So you object to tax breaks for alternative fuel vehicles and for vehicles like the Prius or Volt, but tax breaks for SUVs didn't bother you back then?

Attempting to force technology has worked so well.:lol:

Some day you may understand the word Liberty but I am not betting on it.

Next!!

Much less economic Liberty...Free markets unabated from Government intrusion...:eusa_whistle:

Next!!

Can you measure COAL by MPG? ;)

Carbon footprint? ;)

Much less economic Liberty...Free markets unabated from Government intrusion...:eusa_whistle:

In the world we rank tenth, even canada is beating us.

Obviously you don't understand the point of the tax credit. Your explorer is already subsidized by the tax breaks we give big oil.

Guess you should have bought your SUV in 2002-03 when Bush was giving away huge tax breaks for people that bought SUVs. Such short term memories...

Now you are just full of shit......

do may a favor, seriously, take some evening classes or use the online link I gave you…. you do not know how to communicate adequately, if I thought you were yanking my chain I would say so, but you're not. Seriously....conversational debate is simply out of your range.

so to end this a) your NG link is replete with supposition;

but before we go there, here, for you;

Peak Oil-

Because oil is a non-replenishing resource, there is a limit to how much the world can extract and refine. Peak oil is the day that oil production reaches a maximum and will subsequently begin to decline until full depletion is ultimately reached.

for example the title and the following?

Has the World Already Passed “Peak Oil”?

world’s conventional oil production likely……

In this scenario

And finally from the link-

Now, because of rising oil prices, declines in investment by the oil industry, and new commitments by some nations to cutting greenhouse gas emissions, the new forecast says oil production is likely to be lower than the IEA had expected.

PRODUCTION is in Question, NOT the RESOURCE…see?

b) and now, you answer to my Q is providing me 3 INDUSTRY SPECIFIC TAX DEDUCTIONS , which exist for GM, Apple etc. in technologically applicable language….no subsidies…I told you there are differences, didn’t I? Those are not SUBSIDIES are they?

and now to prove big oil got a subsidy you trot out a tax break for Suv's, in fact any vehicle over a certain tonnage no matter their maker?

the reason is right there in the article...

SUV Measure Was Meant for Small Businesses

In every article I've read when they are discussing this TEMPORARY layoff. One of the primary reasons that is cited is the negative press the Volt received.

Which of my own links am I not reading? You've done nothing to point out what is incorrect in the information I've provided beyond a silly article about reading comprehension.

We've reached peak oil. The easy to get to stuff is all but gone. To extract the oil there still is requires more dangerous and expensive means.

Let's go back to Canada as an example. They produce more oil than they consume and yet their gas prices are no different than ours. Why is that? How will more drilling affect gas prices here if it hasn't in Canada?

You're very much mistaken with this statement. The easy to get stuff has been put off-limits by the enviro-Nazis and NIMBYs of the nation.

Congress is willfully refusing to supply petrol? You aren't even starting from a reasonable person standard.

Oil is running out. Even if we drilled every conceivable place in the US that there might be oil, it won't affect the price of gas that drastically. Oil, no matter where it comes from, goes into the global market. We don't have enough oil in our ground to make a dent.

We can make a difference right now today. For an investment equal to about what we spend in a week on oil in this country we can have battery swapping stations from coast to coast.

No, EVs won't replace ALL gas powered vehicles. Yes, people will still need their larger gas powered vehicles, but imagine if these EVs replaced 10% of gas powered vehicles for people on their daily, one person in their gas guzzling SU-fucking-V, commutes? How much would that reduce our dependency on oil?

The Volt is expensive. So's the Tesla. And? The Tesla, by the way, is developing a less expensive Sedan. Still in the over 35K range, but a far cry from what one of their Roadsters cost.

The cost will come down for these vehicles and their wonderful technology. Maybe if they got all the tax breaks and subsidies the oil companies get..:eusa_whistle:

yes, congress and namely the pres. have kept the industry in check, providing exploratory licenses is one thing, then granting production leases is wholly another.

The natural gas boom is being driven purely by private domain, federal lands account for less than 15% of the productive fields. Obama has zip to do with it BUT the EPA is doing their level best to interfere, but thats a great deal harder on privately leased land.

Even if we drilled every conceivable place in the US that there might be oil, it won't affect the price of gas that drastically
now you're just making things up....:doubt:

peak Oil or fossil fuel peak is BS, period.

the technology is not there yet, we have 5 national laboratories where in we spend billions to foster R&D on Green tech., they are on it.

When the tech. creates an efficient method of electrical power for vehicles, it won't be a secret, we are still at least a decade away.

Ecology has zip to do with it. The Volt is a mess, its cramped, its range is not very good, and the price precludes mass consumption, not even close to that. It is a boutique vehicle, GM did their level best with ala the federal help they needed to make it work, so IF IT COULD WORK, they wold not be pulling it.

Unless of course you are in favor of just paying GM outright to make them, AND then having them via a transfer of tax dollars to them, so they could drop the price to say 15-25k range....thats just nuts, period, why not just give them away.

Gas and diesel are currently our biggest export. So how is more drilling going to change the price?

How is an increase in supply going to reduce the price? Does someone really need to explain remedial economics to you?

Negative press affects sales. Negative press, like Volts are exploding, that isn't even true. Imagine that...

hey they put out there...and they have never ever went thru the hoops TOYOTA was made to....hello.

Toyota isn't number one anymore is it? Gee, I wonder if negative press had anything to do with that...

Considering that Toyata actually got to number 1 after the negative press came out, and that they dropped because their supply chain was disrupted was disrupted by the tsunami, which caused their production numbers to drop, I doubt it.

It's STILL $32,500, dupes...95% of owners STILL love it, and the major reason for it's poor sales are STILL BS attacks by the "Un-American" (TIME) Pub propaganda machine...change the channel, ya brainwashed morons LOL!

Where are the negative MSM coverages? The fires? They questioned those from the get go. Indeed, it's impossible to find criticism of the Volt, though Obama originally said that he thought they'd be too expensive for the average buyer. Since the GM deal, where Obama agreed to put the US taxpayer last in repayment order, he's changed his mind. The $42k car gets a $7500 tax credit, so I guess that puts it in the 'affordable' category? :cuckoo:

Next!!

1. The mph is not meaningful without knowing a trip’s length, because calculating fuel economy depends on the ratio of electric to gasoline use.

a. We’ve been getting between 23 and 28 mpg, due to the winter’s freeze. The car’s electric range is very susceptible to cold weather since the heater runs on electricity.

b. We’ve also found that an extended highway cruise shortens the electric range.

2. So, the fuel economy depends on your driving pattern. The more often and further you travel, the closer your overall energy use drops toward 30 mpg.

3. Based on energy use, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the EPA, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that’s for the first 25 miles or so, on battery alone.
The April 2011 edition of Consumer Reports

Since it has become clear that 'franco' has become synonymous with 'stupid,' would you mind if I begin to use it in my posts, along the lines of...

"how franco of you....'

or

'what a franco thing to say..."

or, probably most useful, 'another franco policy move by President Obama..."

You could think of it as your 15 minutes of fame.

OK?
Good.

Where are the negative MSM coverages? The fires? They questioned those from the get go. Indeed, it's impossible to find criticism of the Volt, though Obama originally said that he thought they'd be too expensive for the average buyer. Since the GM deal, where Obama agreed to put the US taxpayer last in repayment order, he's changed his mind. The $42k car gets a $7500 tax credit, so I guess that puts it in the 'affordable' category? :cuckoo:
And to top it off (Hello Jeffie Immelt and GE?)....

GE to Buy 25,000 Electric Vehicles
Purchases, Through 2015, Will Convert Much of Company's Fleet to Green Cars

What happened?

:eusa_whistle:

Since it has become clear that 'franco' has become synonymous with 'stupid,' would you mind if I begin to use it in my posts, along the lines of...

"how franco of you....'

or

'what a franco thing to say..."

or, probably most useful, 'another franco policy move by President Obama..."

You could think of it as your 15 minutes of fame.

OK?
Good.

I have been looking for something to call some of the posters on the board here since I realized that calling them stupid or idiot insults stupid people and idiots, you might haves something here.

1. The mph is not meaningful without knowing a trip’s length, because calculating fuel economy depends on the ratio of electric to gasoline use.

a. We’ve been getting between 23 and 28 mpg, due to the winter’s freeze. The car’s electric range is very susceptible to cold weather since the heater runs on electricity.

b. We’ve also found that an extended highway cruise shortens the electric range.

2. So, the fuel economy depends on your driving pattern. The more often and further you travel, the closer your overall energy use drops toward 30 mpg.

3. Based on energy use, the Volt has been averaging close to 2 miles per kilowatt-hour, which, according to the EPA, is the equivalent of 65 mpg. But that’s for the first 25 miles or so, on battery alone.
How is that calculated since most power in this nation is generated by Coal?

MPG? Mile Per Ton of coal?

Missing conversion factor here...

to do a thorough analysis you are right, and we have to add time, and the trickle factor to full charge as well, plus the electricity $$ charges, how much weight the vehicle is carrying etc.

From the CR article:
1. GM says recharge times are about 4 hours with a 240-volt supply, and 10 to 12 hours with 120 volts. Our Volt has been taking almost 13 kWh in about 5 hours every time we charge. Volt buyers should purchase a 220-volt (Level 2) charger.

a. At the national average rate of 11 cents per kWh, the Volt costs about 5.7 cents per mile in electric mode and 10 cents a mile after that- if gas is $3 per gallon.

b. A Toyota Prius costs 6.8 cents per mile, and a gas powered Honda Fit costs about 10 cents per mile (but the price is less than half of that of the Volt).

And....
2. In the Northeast, electricity cost is a lot higher. For example:
Sep. 22, 2010: ($0.27 per kWh)
Aug. 23, 2010: ($0.24 per kWh)
Jul. 23, 2010: ($0.29 per kWh)
Jun. 23, 2010: ($0.28 per kWh)
May 24, 2010: ($0.41 per kWh)
Apr. 23, 2010: ($0.87 per kWh) W303 » New York City Electricity – Con Edison Kwh Charge History

So PC and Mr. Trajan?

WE are dealing with varying costs depending upon area of the nation?

Seeing as that is in keeping with power company charges for consumers in whatever area? Could it be stated it isn't much different than costs per gallon based upon Gasoline prices per area of the nation? (Based upon distance between 'fueling/Convienience)....

Frankly? I don't see much difference...and what is the cost of Coal/Gasoline...

In short?

NOT across the board economical as it is touted by GM/Obama...But like everywhere else...depends.

I still don't see the volt being reliable seeing (depending on usage) the Volt being better than the average gasoline car as the VOLT is rated at 40 miles between charges...which lends itself to strictly local commute, and not long distance as a gas vehicle...or similiar fueled combustion vehicle....

In any event? The Volt is powered on Coal...and that cost depending upon area. And Limited...to distance per convienience of those that buy it.

The vehicle just isn't suited for long distance travel...or for those that travel many short distance trips....Before they scramble for the extension cord/Charging Station....

Forum List

Back