Chevy Volt Production Put On Five Week Hold

God damnit, i was looking to spend $42,000 on a car so i could save money on gas.

Good question

So at what point does an electric car become economical?

Let's assume a Volt like car costs $42,000 and an equivalent gas powered car costs $22,000 and gets 40 mpg. Let's also assume future homes have solar powered charging stations. Assume you drive 280 miles a week or 7 gallons a week

If gas costs $4 a gallon you pay $1456 a year or $14,560 over ten years
If gas costs $5 a gallon, you pay $1820 a year or $18,200 over ten years

So break even is $5.50 A gallon

As long as gas companies keep gas under $5.50 they can keep electric cars off the market

where is the link that goes with it?

I want to see it before i tear that BS to shreds.

Answer becasue I will be back to ask until you do.

God damnit, i was looking to spend $42,000 on a car so i could save money on gas.

Good question

Let's assume a Volt like car costs $42,000 and an equivalent gas powered car costs $22,000 and gets 40 mpg. Let's also assume future homes have solar powered charging stations. Assume you drive 280 miles a week or 7 gallons a week

As long as gas companies keep gas under $5.50 they can keep electric cars off the market

This sure isn't gonna help wingy....

1. “One of the biggest challenges for alternative powertrains is that consumers often have unrealistic expectations for the fuel-saving abilities of these vehicles,” Marshall said. “And particularly with hybrids, actual fuel performance often doesn't live up to the vehicle's EPA estimate. There is a real need to educate consumers about the technology and its benefits.” http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2006147

2. But what about the savings in driving a hybrid? “The Altima hybrid improves combined city-highway fuel economy to 34 miles per gallon from 26 mpg in the standard four-cylinder. Even with gas at $4.11, where the national average peaked in July, a driver has to log nearly 159,000 miles to recoup the upfront cost. For someone who drives 15,000 miles annually, the gas savings is $558 a year. That's more than 10 1/2 years of driving — assuming the car lasts that long.” Newsvine - 48 mpg is nice, but hybrids don't add up right now

3. Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. Report: Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up To $250K Per Vehicle

Good question

1. “One of the biggest challenges for alternative powertrains is that consumers often have unrealistic expectations for the fuel-saving abilities of these vehicles,” Marshall said. “And particularly with hybrids, actual fuel performance often doesn't live up to the vehicle's EPA estimate. There is a real need to educate consumers about the technology and its benefits.” http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2006147

2. But what about the savings in driving a hybrid? “The Altima hybrid improves combined city-highway fuel economy to 34 miles per gallon from 26 mpg in the standard four-cylinder. Even with gas at $4.11, where the national average peaked in July, a driver has to log nearly 159,000 miles to recoup the upfront cost. For someone who drives 15,000 miles annually, the gas savings is $558 a year. That's more than 10 1/2 years of driving — assuming the car lasts that long.” Newsvine - 48 mpg is nice, but hybrids don't add up right now

3. Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy. Report: Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up To $250K Per Vehicle

and its worse than that, he posted horse crap.

I will await his reply. ;)

The liberal position in these Obama years has been that the ends justify the means.

I adamantly oppose that philosophy, and I admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when liberals aren't even getting the ends that they have attempted to sell America's collective soul to achieve.

I am for achieving viable alternative energy in a way which doesn't put people who depend on our present economic forces out of work and doesn't cause starvation around the world ...

So sue me.

The Chevy Volt works and by all accounts their owners love them

and who are those owners? classify for them for us please.

rightwinger, waiting on answer here too...

and its worse than that, he posted horse crap.

I will await his reply. ;)

May be a looooonnnngggg wait.

The good news: with the Volt, you may not need a heater.

Good question

Link

http://www.clearpathtofitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/the-history-of-the-middle-finger.jpg

Good question

Link

http://www.clearpathtofitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/the-history-of-the-middle-finger.jpg

The elevator to civility is going down.....
Astounding what passes for intelligent debate from the Left.

Three years ago when we gave the last one, your side was predicting they would come begging in six months

So if it's 6 years instead of 6 months,*that means turds like you are vindicated?

Could be never and the "GM must fail" geeks will still be hoping for it's demise

I don't know about that, but the mailman just brought the April Consumer Reports, and page 15 has reader satisfaction scores which includes
Ford 60%
Chrysler 51%
GM 56%

Top was Subaru, 75% (replacing Honda)

No compromise "un-American" (TIME) Pub dupes, hoping America fails...thanks for not supporting USA business...because of BS Pub propaganda....nice going!

Last edited:
Good question

Link

so you're talking shit as usual. whats new......

so, you made that post up yourself?

The Chevy Volt works and by all accounts their owners love them

It not only works, but it is just as safe as gas powered vehicles.

It has been the relentless attacks by the likes of the drug addled gasbag, Rush Limbaugh, that are hurting Volt sales. Its the GOP rooting for failure once again.

Rush Limbaugh is the only reason Volts are not selling? I would think people like you would buy one just to piss him off.

1. The purchase of a new hybrid vehicle is a better indicator of household wealth than a doctorate degree. The average hybrid-buying household earns $113,400 a year- more than twice the median household income in America. http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

2. ‘In fact, more than half of the Prius buyers surveyed this spring by CNW Marketing Research of Bandon, Ore., said the main reason they purchased their car was that “it makes a statement about me.” ‘http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/business/04hybrid.html

So if it's 6 years instead of 6 months,*that means turds like you are vindicated?

Could be never and the "GM must fail" geeks will still be hoping for it's demise

I don't know about that, but the mailman just brought the April Consumer Reports, and page 15 has reader satisfaction scores which includes
Ford 60%
Chrysler 51%
GM 56%

Top was Subaru, 75% (replacing Honda)

Consumer Reports never rates American cars highly..........what else is shocking?

Link

so you're talking shit as usual. whats new......

so, you made that post up yourself?

The new mod struggles with the concept of hypothetical

Words like "assume" are usually a tip off

Last edited:

Link

The elevator to civility is going down.....
Astounding what passes for intelligent debate from the Left.

Now, now...

Nobody ever claimed rightwinger was intelligent...

It not only works, but it is just as safe as gas powered vehicles.

It has been the relentless attacks by the likes of the drug addled gasbag, Rush Limbaugh, that are hurting Volt sales. Its the GOP rooting for failure once again.

Rush Limbaugh is the only reason Volts are not selling? I would think people like you would buy one just to piss him off.

1. The purchase of a new hybrid vehicle is a better indicator of household wealth than a doctorate degree. The average hybrid-buying household earns $113,400 a year- more than twice the median household income in America. http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p23-210.pdf

2. ‘In fact, more than half of the Prius buyers surveyed this spring by CNW Marketing Research of Bandon, Ore., said the main reason they purchased their car was that “it makes a statement about me.” ‘http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/business/04hybrid.html

that was part 1 of my tear apart RW's psychotic musings- in the car biz there is a model/price-point/population correlation, a of cutoff- 30K.

Folks that buy cars over that number are in a totally different place ala Income wise, ( even with car co's finance whoring on par with the evil slimy real estate brokers i.e. selling folks cars they know they cannot maintain payments for) and his 22K figure for a '40' mpg car is way to high. I bought my focus for 15 K. 35 mpg. And of course folks at the lower end, do buy USED, and they can get a 35 mpg car for less than 10K easy, only 2-3 years old.

They won't be buying a Volt, period end of story.

The new mod struggles with the concept of hypothetical

Words like "assume" are usually a tip off

Ohhh so your whole post was an ASSumption....:lol:go back to the drawing board, and post the link.

and throwing in the meaningless mod reference is just another imbecilic confession,those that cannot beat the horse, beat the saddle, bozo. Jillian has done that so has Lakhota, you're in great co. :lol:

so answer the question.

Forum List

Back