China expanding influence in Panama

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

He indicated that China's domestic demand will expand and they will need to import more products such as coffee, fruit, fish, shrimp and meat , which Panama currently supplies to that market.

Xueyuan also said they are willing to participate in local infrastructure projects such as roads, ports, bridges and reservoirs.

In addition, they are interested in providing well drilling equipment and technology to solve the water shortage problem and donating mobile medical vehicles and electric buses to improve the health and mobility conditions of Panamanians.

China understands the vital importance of Panama and its canal. I am not sure the US Govt understands this any longer.

This is why China is gaining influence all over the world while the US is wasting trillions in wars all around the world.

He indicated that China's domestic demand will expand and they will need to import more products such as coffee, fruit, fish, shrimp and meat , which Panama currently supplies to that market.

Xueyuan also said they are willing to participate in local infrastructure projects such as roads, ports, bridges and reservoirs.

In addition, they are interested in providing well drilling equipment and technology to solve the water shortage problem and donating mobile medical vehicles and electric buses to improve the health and mobility conditions of Panamanians.

China understands the vital importance of Panama and its canal. I am not sure the US Govt understands this any longer.

This is why China is gaining influence all over the world while the US is wasting trillions in wars all around the world.
im sure panama will have to let the Chinese run most of the country for their "aid"....

im sure panama will have to let the Chinese run most of the country for their "aid"....

China does not want to run the country. They want customers and a supply of products being sent to them, and in the case of Panama priority use of the canal.

China does not try to dictate local politics and customs and the like, that is something the US does. Take Afghanistan for example, China is now there taking advantage of all the natural resources of the country, but they do not tell the Taliban how to run the country, they just say "don't mess with us and we will extract your resources for a cut of them.".

The US could take a lesson from this.

China does not want to run the country. They want customers and a supply of products being sent to them, and in the case of Panama priority use of the canal.

China does not try to dictate local politics and customs and the like, that is something the US does. Take Afghanistan for example, China is now there taking advantage of all the natural resources of the country, but they do not tell the Taliban how to run the country, they just say "don't mess with us and we will extract your resources for a cut of them.".

The US could take a lesson from this.
yea sure they dont....

Can you give some examples of them doing so in countries like Panama? They are expanding all over Latin and South America ...should be lots of examples you can give of them doing so.
i cant believe that you think China is looking out for the countries that they move into...just like this country they want resources for THEM not the host country....they have exploited Africa's critical minerals for their economic goals often at the detriment of local African communities.....yea they aint much different than us...

i cant believe that you think China is looking out for the countries that they move into...just like this country they want resources for THEM not the host country....they have exploited Africa's critical minerals for their economic goals often at the detriment of local African communities.....yea they aint much different than us...

I never said that China was looking out for those countries, I said they are not trying to control/run them...as you claimed.

You need to look closer to home. China is not your enemy, as the ruling class has told you.

China doesn’t invade nations all over the world. It doesn’t overthrow governments. It doesn’t have military bases everywhere or a navy cruising all the oceans. Do you know who does?

were you not the guy who is going to retire to panama?....if so you had better learn some Chinese...

I am, and I do not need to learn Chinese as most of the Chinese there speak English or Spanish.

But I will be happy to take advantage of the improved infrastructure

I am, and I do not need to learn Chinese as most of the Chinese there speak English or Spanish.

But I will be happy to take advantage of the improved infrastructure
No nation in the history of the world has taken more people out of poverty than China, and they did it in roughly 40 years. In the 1970s, China was poorer than Haiti. Today they have by far the most powerful economy.

This of course is seen by the neocons as a threat to American hegemony and they appear to want war with China.

American Pravda: A Rising China Faces the West
Last year when I’d produced the previous version of this chart, the latest available international economic statistics had been from the year 2021, and according to those, China’s real productive economy was already some 3% larger than the combined total for America, the European Union, and Japan.

Anyone who casually scans the daily headlines of the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal must surely be convinced of China’s severe economic problems over the last several years in sharp contrast with America’s booming economy, which seems to have now successfully avoided the threat of a looming recession. So naive Americans might naturally assume that the economic balance between China and our own Western bloc has recently shifted in our direction.

However, the facts are entirely different. According to the latest 2023 economic statistics, China’s real productive economy now outweighs the combined total for America, the European Union, and Japan by nearly 12%, while continuing to grow much more rapidly.
American Pravda: A Rising China Faces the West

No shit Sherlock. We've been hearing about Chinese presence in Panama ever since Obama and Kerry proclaimed the "era of the Monroe Doctrine is over."

Here we see the Magic Negro shaking hands with the communist Raul Castro, in Panama.

1724327156636.png

No shit Sherlock. We've been hearing about Chinese presence in Panama ever since Obama and Kerry proclaimed the "era of the Monroe Doctrine is over."

And what is the US' response to this...to ignore the country. We went 4 years, spanning both Trump and Biden administrations, without an ambassador to the country. Then we whine that China is gaining too much influence.

Panama opened up bids to build a 4th bridge over the canal and not a single US company put in a bid. Then we whine that China is gaining too much influence.

While we were wasting trillions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan China has been investing in Panama and Peru and Brazil...and then we whine they are gaining too much influence.

As for Obama....good for him, our Cuba policy is fucking stupid.

You need to look closer to home. China is not your enemy, as the ruling class has told you.

China doesn’t invade nations all over the world. It doesn’t overthrow governments. It doesn’t have military bases everywhere or a navy cruising all the oceans. Do you know who does?
they have there own way to invade....and why should i believe what your ruling class or you say?...

they have there own way to invade....and why should i believe what your ruling class or you say?...

How about instead of just parroting your party talking points you do some reading on your own and learn something.

Your claim they were going to "run" the country was debunked in about 12 seconds, so instead of admitting you were wrong you pivoted to a different talking point.

They are doing the same thing in many 2nd and 3rd world areas. Building their influence, resources, and contacts.

That's the kinda thing we used to do but hardly do anymore.

We will live to regret it too.

They are doing the same thing in many 2nd and 3rd world areas. Building their influence, resources, and contacts.

That's the kinda thing we used to do but hardly do anymore.

We will live to regret it too.

Well, when a country is spending trillions on wars in the Middle East, there is not much left for stuff like this.

And yes, we will likely regret it eventually. Already people whine about China having too much influence in our "part" of the world

Forum List

Back