Christian activists booted from Seattle coffee shop: ‘I’m gay. You have to leave’

My response----it seems to me that a store owner has a right to eject people who enter their premises for the purpose of proselytizing

Were they proselytizing? I think a store owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. And the refused have the right to peacefully picket.

The shop owner said he was offended by those people. Refuse to bake a cake, refuse to cater a wedding, refuse to serve coffee...all the same, and within the rights of the business owner.

Karma's a bitch when your integrity is situational.
I doubt if most gays are making out in a coffee shop or hotel lobby, either, but some would say it is the owner's right to refuse t
My response----it seems to me that a store owner has a right to eject people who enter their premises for the purpose of proselytizing

The article didn't state that they were "proselytizing" in the coffee shop. If they were, I would agree with you. If not, then it seems pretty intolerant.

If they were carrying signs, banners or literature, he'd know what they were and yes, I'd refuse them service as well. Those pictures of abortions they so proudly display would be the reason why. People don't want or need to see that with their coffee.

It does not belong out in the street or in front of planned parenthood clinics, either. When I was working I used to
eject any jerk who entered the emergency room with a camera. ALL surgical manipulations and medical manipulations LOOK GROSS

Christian activists booted from Seattle coffee shop: ‘I’m gay. You have to leave’

Gay coffee shop owner boots out pro-life Christians, refusing them service.

Well, it's time to put these motherfuckers out of business!!!
Maybe he's just showing them what it feels like. Hope they got it.

When was the last time gay people were ejected from a premises for being gay?
I'm just referring to your mindset, which would allow it:
Private business owners have rights and the right to associate with whomever they chose.
BTW, it's choose.

I imagine this is him, he looks to be in a shop. Does he know God does not like Tattoos.
He has one of the group's flyers...how did he get that? Were they handing them out in the shop? If so, they WERE proselytizing and he has every right to boot them.

Were they proselytizing? I think a store owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. And the refused have the right to peacefully picket.

The shop owner said he was offended by those people. Refuse to bake a cake, refuse to cater a wedding, refuse to serve coffee...all the same, and within the rights of the business owner.

Karma's a bitch when your integrity is situational.

Lately Seattle-ites kick out anyone who they deem hateful or non inclusive.
Hypocrisy at its finest.

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you stand up and say that gays cannot force a baker to serve a gay couple, how is it you have a problem with a gay not serving a straight person?

I support the right of business owners to refuse to do business with people, for any reason the choose.

The issue isn't serving a gay couple. The issue is when you ask a baker to be a part of something that they consider sinful, such as same-sex marriage. After all, I've never heard of a baker refusing to make a birthday cake for a gay person.
No, it is not. I get real tired of people trying to change the issue to suit their own intellectual dishonesty.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

Either a business owner has the right to refuse service to whomever they wish, for whatever reason they wish, or they do not.

You cannot say they can when it suits My personal philosophy and they can't when its something I don't like.

Pick one and stop trying to justify everything.
Consistency would be nice, it is the law after all, but as things stand now gay bakers can refuse service to Christians but Christians cannot refuse service to fagots.

Not consistent application of the law what so ever.

I think that the issue was "ACTIVISTS"----acting --ACTIVE
in the coffee shop. ---Not just patrons who ARE this or that

Look at you making shit up about my position. This where you are being a liar. Too funny.

If you believe that Christian bakers should be able to decline to make a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage, then I will concede that I was mistaken. Do you support Christian bakers in this instance?
I believe this case should have involved, "I heart gay guys" cups for those patrons; profit before morals in the for-profit sector.

That's total bullshit. I support gay people to do whatever the fuck they want and I have NO PROBLEM with their lifestyle. Don't be a fucking liar.

I'm guessing the Christian activists won't file a civil rights complaint and there will be no conservative outrage threatening and/or harassing of the shop owners, their customers, their suppliers, etc. It is also important to note that the Christian bakers had happily and gracefully served the gay couple for quite some time with the products they normally served at the shop. It was the bakers' choice not to participate in an activity requested by the couple that got them in trouble.

The gay coffee shop owners would be perfectly within their right not to provide space for or cater an anti-abortion event. To refuse to serve Christian activists for no other reason than they were pro life is highly intolerant.

The article didn't state that they were "proselytizing" in the coffee shop. If they were, I would agree with you. If not, then it seems pretty intolerant.

If they were carrying signs, banners or literature, he'd know what they were and yes, I'd refuse them service as well. Those pictures of abortions they so proudly display would be the reason why. People don't want or need to see that with their coffee.

Those abortion pics are disgusting, I dont think there is ever a need to see that.

After all this time, this is the first time I heard they wanted the baker to be part of their gay marriage.

By forcing a baker to make their cake, the baker has indeed become a part of their wedding ceremony.
Even the cake itself isn't part of the wedding ceremony...it's part of a reception afterwards and both reception and cake are totally optional to any wedding. Nice try but.....not true.

The baker wants NOTHING to do with the event and is being FORCED by government to be a part of it. You're playing semantics and are being disingenuous.

The baker is NOT being forced to take part in the wedding. He/she makes a cake, delivers it and leaves.

If the baker refuses to bake wedding cakes for all sinners, such as adulterers, thieves, liars and blashphemers, all of which are mentioned in the 10 Commandments, then I'd have no issue with them refusing gays. But to single out one class of sinner as "untouchable" isn't religious freedom, its bigotry and intolerance cloaking itself in freedom of religion.

Since when is a baker part of a wedding? Even the cake they make isn't part of a wedding...it's part of the reception AFTER the wedding.

The baker is being FORCED to make a cake that is celebrating an act that he or she believes to be sinful. The baker wants no part of it but are being FORCED to be a part of it.
Ah...and now the goalposts move. The cake is NOT part of the wedding ceremony....you acknowledge that. and move your goalposts to "celebrating an act" as opposed to your initial "part of the act". I accept your concession that baking a cake is NOT being part of the wedding ceremony.

I believe this case should have involved, "I heart gay guys" cups for those patrons; profit before morals in the for-profit sector.

I support the concept of "live and let live". I don't really care what gays or anyone else does as long as it doesn't adversely affect someone else.

Since when is a baker part of a wedding? Even the cake they make isn't part of a wedding...it's part of the reception AFTER the wedding.

The baker is being FORCED to make a cake that is celebrating an act that he or she believes to be sinful. The baker wants no part of it but are being FORCED to be a part of it.
Ah...and now the goalposts move. The cake is NOT part of the wedding ceremony....you acknowledge that. and move your goalposts to "celebrating an act" as opposed to your initial "part of the act". I accept your concession that baking a cake is NOT being part of the wedding ceremony.

I should have said a part of the "celebration" and not part of the "wedding". Like I said, you're playing semantics.

If the baker refuses to bake wedding cakes for all sinners, such as adulterers, thieves, liars and blashphemers, all of which are mentioned in the 10 Commandments, then I'd have no issue with them refusing gays.

Does the Christian baker normally make cakes celebrating adultery, thievery, lying and blaspheming?

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you stand up and say that gays cannot force a baker to serve a gay couple, how is it you have a problem with a gay not serving a straight person?

I support the right of business owners to refuse to do business with people, for any reason the choose.

The issue isn't serving a gay couple. The issue is when you ask a baker to be a part of something that they consider sinful, such as same-sex marriage. After all, I've never heard of a baker refusing to make a birthday cake for a gay person.
The discussion isn't about the wedding, it's about the shop owner and all shop owners rights.
To those bakers it WAS about a wedding. And people need to acquaint themselves with PA laws in their state.....especially if they are going to open a business.

Maybe he's just showing them what it feels like. Hope they got it.

When was the last time gay people were ejected from a premises for being gay?
Private business owners have rights and the right to associate with whomever they chose.
BTW, it's choose.

Not all businesses.

Forum List

Back