"Christian" Religions which reject the Trinity Doctrine

But they didn't teach it. Why?

Not sure who "they" are in your sentence, but I have shown you that Jesus taught it in post #222.
It has never been taught in Jewish or Christian dogma. The LDS are the only ones. It is a central component of your dogma. It is a very important point in your faith. One could even say the main point. It is odd that no one has ever had that belief except the LDS. How could such an important belief been overlooked all those years.

Probably because Jesus did not teach that.

At the time Jesus arrived in the flesh on this earth, the Jews were in a state of apostasy and would later reject Jesus and cry out for his crucifixion. They would not accept the teachings of the great I AM. Later in 70 A.D. they were scattered among all nations. Not until in latter-days would we see the Jews start to gather into the true fold. So looking unto them for the words of Jesus as the revelation of the word of God is not really something I would lean toward, though many other things can be learned from them.

Regarding Christians, in an article entitled "Becoming Like God", we read the following:

"Latter-day Saint beliefs would have sounded more familiar to the earliest generations of Christians than they do to many modern Christians. Many church fathers (influential theologians and teachers in early Christianity) spoke approvingly of the idea that humans can become divine. One modern scholar refers to the “ubiquity of the doctrine of deification”—the teaching that humans could become God—in the first centuries after Christ’s death.11 The church father Irenaeus, who died about A.D. 202, asserted that Jesus Christ “did, through His transcendent love, become what we are, that He might bring us to be what He is Himself.”12 Clement of Alexandria (ca. A.D. 150–215) wrote that “the Word of God became man, that thou mayest learn from man how man may become God.”13Basil the Great (A.D. 330–379) also celebrated this prospect—not just “being made like to God,” but “highest of all, the being made God.”14

What exactly the early church fathers meant when they spoke of becoming God is open to interpretation,15 but it is clear that references to deification became more contested in the late Roman period and were infrequent by the medieval era. The first known objection by a church father to teaching deification came in the fifth century.16 By the sixth century, teachings on “becoming God” appear more limited in scope, as in the definition provided by Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite (ca. A.D. 500): “Deification … is the attaining of likeness to God and union with him so far as is possible.”17

Why did these beliefs fade from prominence? Changing perspectives on the creation of the world may have contributed to the gradual shift toward more limited views of human potential. The earliest Jewish and Christian commentaries on the Creation assumed that God had organized the world out of preexisting materials, emphasizing the goodness of God in shaping such a life-sustaining order.18 But the incursion of new philosophical ideas in the second century led to the development of a doctrine that God created the universe ex nihilo—“out of nothing.” This ultimately became the dominant teaching about the Creation within the Christian world.19 In order to emphasize God’s power, many theologians reasoned that nothing could have existed for as long as He had. It became important in Christian circles to assert that God had originally been completely alone.

Creation ex nihilo widened the perceived gulf between God and humans. It became less common to teach either that human souls had existed before the world or that they could inherit and develop the attributes of God in their entirety in the future.20 Gradually, as the depravity of humankind and the immense distance between Creator and creature were increasingly emphasized, the concept of deification faded from Western Christianity,21 though it remains a central tenet of Eastern Orthodoxy, one of the three major branches of Christianity.22"
From this article I would believe that many early Christians did have this belief but as time went on they fell away from it.
And I would argue that you are blindly following the dogma of your faith as none of that makes any sense and that the people who did establish that dogma were so far removed from the actual events that it would be illogical for them to come to that conclusion.

I have a question. Do you believe Jesus is eternal God?

I believe that Jesus has immortality and that he also has eternal life. As a member of the Godhead, Jesus is God. In that respect, yes.
Tricky. Is Jesus eternal, in that he always was God. No beginning.

We do not believe that God the Father or Jesus Christ were Gods for the infinite past. Much of what we believe regarding this topic can be found in Joseph Smith's discourse known as the King Follett Discourse or Sermon.

The King Follett Sermon
Exactly, thank you for admitting it. Joseph Smith is a liar. The Scriptures teach God is eternal God. Also, the Father and Jesus are not "Gods". They are One God. See, this is the problem with cults. They take the writings of people and put them above Scripture. Scripture is the authority for Christians.

Last edited:

I believe that Jesus has immortality and that he also has eternal life. As a member of the Godhead, Jesus is God. In that respect, yes.

We do not believe that God the Father or Jesus Christ were Gods for the infinite past. Much of what we believe regarding this topic can be found in Joseph Smith's discourse known as the King Follett Discourse or Sermon.

The King Follett Sermon
Exactly, thank you for admitting it. Joseph Smith is a liar. The Scriptures teach God is eternal God. Also, the Father and Jesus are not "Gods". They are One God. See, this is the problem with cults. They take the writings of people and put them above Scripture. Scripture is the authority for Christians.
If only God is God there is no they involved.

And I would argue that you are blindly following the dogma of your faith as none of that makes any sense and that the people who did establish that dogma were so far removed from the actual events that it would be illogical for them to come to that conclusion.

I have given you evidence that Christ taught that we are gods, even children of the most high and his Apostles taught that we are the offspring of God. Christ taught that we should become perfect, even as our father in heaven is perfect. He prayed to his Father that we could become one, even as Jesus is one with the Father, and His Apostles taught that when Christ appears that we can be like him. Through the 3rd century, many christian fathers taught the doctrine of deification. Christ, His Apostles, and his follower are not those who were so far removed from the actual events. I would say that you are blindly rejecting the evidence I have given you. If that is your choice, I can respect your free will to do so. Thanks for taking the time.

I have given you evidence that Christ taught that we are gods, even children of the most high and his Apostles taught that we are the offspring of God. Christ taught that we should become perfect, even as our father in heaven is perfect. He prayed to his Father that we could become one, even as Jesus is one with the Father, and His Apostles taught that when Christ appears that we can be like him. Through the 3rd century, many christian fathers taught the doctrine of deification. Christ, His Apostles, and his follower are not those who were so far removed from the actual events. I would say that you are blindly rejecting the evidence I have given you. If that is your choice, I can respect your free will to do so. Thanks for taking the time.
Jesus didn't teach that we can become God like the One True God. Jesus never taught that concept. That's a twisting of Scripture.

ummm.... those were Gnostics that taught that. They were a reaction to Christianity. Do you have any idea of what the Cathars were, what they did? They taught that.

Simon Peter never believed that. In fact, he asked if he could sit next to Jesus and he was rebuked for it.

The King Follett Sermon

Some Christians believe that God was God from an inifinity past based on one scripture in the Bible.

Psalm 90:2
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

I do not interpret this scripture to mean that God was God from and infinity past. I believe what is being said here is that currently we live in a temporary state that does not last forever. The previous state that we existed in along with God was eternity or an everlasting state. After this life is over, we will return to the realm of eternity or a future everlasting state. What this verse is saying is that God is God from the eternity that came before this temporal state to the eternity that will come after this temporal state. He was God before the temporal state and will be God after this temporal state. He is God from everlasting to everlasting. Not that he was God for an infinite past but that he was God before this temporal state. He could have become a God in the eternal state before this earth's temporal state. Once he became a God in that everlasting state before this earth's temporal state, He could say that he is God from everlasting to everlasting or from eternity to eternity. Is it not interesting that it is worded in a way that God is going from one state of everlasting to another state of everlasting?

To say that God is eternal is not the same as saying that the being who is God was God for an eternity past. If the being who is God was not always God but is a self-existent being who became a God then the phrase that God is eternal would still apply even though he was not God for an infinite past. I know of no scriptures that clearly state that God was God for an infinite past. Psalms 90:2 only verifies that God became a God sometime in the realm of the eternity (everlasting) that preceded the temporal earth life and will continue to be God to the eternity that will follow this earth life.

The King Follett Sermon

Some Christians believe that God was God from an inifinity past based on one scripture in the Bible.

Psalm 90:2
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

I do not interpret this scripture to mean that God was God from and infinity past. I believe what is being said here is that currently we live in a temporary state that does not last forever. The previous state that we existed in along with God was eternity or an everlasting state. After this life is over, we will return to the realm of eternity or a future everlasting state. What this verse is saying is that God is God from the eternity that came before this temporal state to the eternity that will come after this temporal state. He was God before the temporal state and will be God after this temporal state. He is God from everlasting to everlasting. Not that he was God for an infinite past but that he was God before this temporal state. He could have become a God in the eternal state before this earth's temporal state. Once he became a God in that everlasting state before this earth's temporal state, He could say that he is God from everlasting to everlasting or from eternity to eternity. Is it not interesting that it is worded in a way that God is going from one state of everlasting to another state of everlasting?

To say that God is eternal is not the same as saying that the being who is God was God for an eternity past. If the being who is God was not always God but is a self-existent being who became a God then the phrase that God is eternal would still apply even though he was not God for an infinite past. I know of no scriptures that clearly state that God was God for an infinite past. Psalms 90:2 only verifies that God became a God sometime in the realm of the eternity (everlasting) that preceded the temporal earth life and will continue to be God to the eternity that will follow this earth life.
Christians believe God is eternal and not from just one scripture. There are many.

I believe that God and you and I are eternal. I just don't believe that God was a God for an infinite past.

I believe that God and you and I are eternal. I just don't believe that God was a God for an infinite past.
Eternal means no beginning and no end. You err in your definition of "eternal".

e·ter·nal
[əˈtərn(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
  1. lasting or existing forever; WITHOUT BEGINNING OR END.
    "the secret of eternal youth" ·
    everlasting · never-ending · endless · without end · perpetual · undying · immortal · deathless · indestructible · imperishable · immutable · abiding · permanent · enduring ·
    constant · continual · continuous · perpetual · persistent · sustained · unremitting · relentless · unrelenting · unrelieved · uninterrupted · unbroken · unabating · interminable ·
    [more]
  2. used to emphasize expressions of admiration, gratitude, or other feelings.
    "to his eternal credit, he maintained his dignity throughout"
  3. (the Eternal)
    used to refer to an everlasting or universal spirit, as represented by God.

Last edited:
Mormonism - Latter-day Saints

Jehovah's Witnesses

Christian Science

Armstrongism

Christadelphians

Oneness Pentecostals

Unification Church

Unity School of Christianity

Scientology - Dianetics

None of these are Christian...by definition. Some are Christian offshoots.

e·ter·nal
[əˈtərn(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
  1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.
    everlasting · never-ending · endless · without end · perpetual · undying · immortal · deathless · indestructible · imperishable · immutable · abiding · permanent · enduring ·
    constant · continual · continuous · perpetual · persistent · sustained · unremitting · relentless · unrelenting · unrelieved · uninterrupted · unbroken · unabating · interminable ·
    [more]
  3. (the Eternal)

I believe that God, you and I have no beginning and no end. Yes, I do know what eternal means. I just don't believe that God, even though he is an eternal being, was not always a God.

e·ter·nal
[əˈtərn(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
  1. lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.
    [more]
  3. (the Eternal)

I believe that God, you and I have no beginning and no end. Yes, I do know what eternal means. I just don't believe that God, even though he is an eternal being, was not always a God.
The word "eternal" means no beginning and no end. I provided the definition. If man can become God, then he has a beginning at birth.

Do you believe that you can reach the moral perfection of your Father in heaven?
Not in this world. Therefore, Mormons are polytheists. Christians believe in One True God. Mormons believe there are many true gods.

The word "eternal" means no beginning and no end. I provided the definition. If man can become God, then he has a beginning at birth.

I don't believe that the only thing that is eternal is God. I don't believe that ex nihilo creation is a true principle. I don't believe that God creates anything out of nothing. I believe that Intelligence and matter are eternal. I believe that God creates (organizes) out of those things that are eternal. I believe that God and man and all things with an intellect have had that intelligence for all eternity.

I don't believe that the only thing that is eternal is God. I don't believe that ex nihilo creation is a true principle. I don't believe that God creates anything out of nothing. I believe that Intelligence and matter are eternal. I believe that God creates (organizes) out of those things that are eternal. I believe that God and man and all things with an intellect have had that intelligence for all eternity.
The Scriptures are very clear that Jesus created everything.

Forum List

Back