Christian? Yes or No?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
ESPN Sportscaster Immediately Trashes First Out NBA Player: Jason Collins Is Not 'A Christian' | ThinkProgress

BROUSSARD: Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly, like premarital sex between heterosexuals. If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits. It says that, you know, that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, whatever it maybe, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. So I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I don’t think the bible would characterize them as a Christian.

OTOH, here's a "good christian" having his say -

Pat Robertson Praises ESPN Analyst For Attack On Jason Collins, First Openly Gay Active NBA Player | Video | Media Matters for America

I can't stay cuz I hafta go throw up.

Oh, and be sure to check out the comments under both links.

Not everyone is a bigoted, hate-filled homophobic.

Did the sportscaster say he hated Collins because he was gay, or did he say that Collins' lifestyle conflicted with Christian doctrine?

What makes you think that the definition of a "good Christian" is one that sets aside their own beliefs, in order to accept and adopt the beliefs of everyone else?

Last edited:
Did the sportscaster say he hated Collins because he was gay, or did he say that Collins' lifestyle conflicted with Christian doctrine?

What makes you think that the definition of a "good Christian" is one that sets aside their own beliefs, in order to accept and adopt the beliefs of everyone else?

That does bring up that incredibly vile attitude of some - that holier than thou, "don't hate the sinner, hate the sin".

And, you're right - just being "Christian" doesn't mean they follow the teachings of Jesus.

Too bad they don't have the integrity and courage as Jason Collins who wears jersey 98 in honor of Mathew Shepherd.

ESPN Sportscaster Immediately Trashes First Out NBA Player: Jason Collins Is Not 'A Christian' | ThinkProgress

BROUSSARD: Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly, like premarital sex between heterosexuals. If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits. It says that, you know, that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, whatever it maybe, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. So I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I don’t think the bible would characterize them as a Christian.

Pat Robertson Praises ESPN Analyst For Attack On Jason Collins, First Openly Gay Active NBA Player | Video | Media Matters for America

So...if someone is gay, they can't be a christian?

These right wingers have started a new religion they call Christianity, but it's something new. It doesn't follow the traditional morals and values of Middle Eastern and European Christianity. This religion worships wealth and corporations. They place a fetus above women. They see the wealthy as needing support and the poor as needing to be stepped on. It's almost completly white and seems to be central to the Republican Party. In this religion, lying is no longer a sin, but a sound political strategy. Just the fact that members of thise religion feel "entitled" suggests some Fascist content.

No, but it does not mandate that one must be tolerant of ones sexual or personal lifestyle choices.

On another note, what is the true motive of a 30+ year old athlete nearing the end of his or her carrier attempting to accomplish? What took him so long, and most importantly, why now?

No, but it does not mandate that one must be tolerant of ones sexual or personal lifestyle choices.

On another note, what is the true motive of a 30+ year old athlete nearing the end of his or her carrier attempting to accomplish? What took him so long, and most importantly, why now?

Um........to stop living a lie? :eusa_eh:

I guess we will just have to see how this plays out.

I guess we will just have to see how this plays out.

Plays out?

That does bring up that incredibly vile attitude of some - that holier than thou, "don't hate the sinner, hate the sin".

And, you're right - just being "Christian" doesn't mean they follow the teachings of Jesus.

Too bad they don't have the integrity and courage as Jason Collins who wears jersey 98 in honor of Mathew Shepherd.

Yes, bad, bad Jesus for loving the sinner. How terribly kind and holy of Him.
You are attacking a sportscaster for having the integrity and courage to forgo politically correct bullshit and stand up for his beliefs.

You are the sportscaster, different agenda. End free speech. Promote the new normal. Demonize anyone who doesn't share your opinion. :eusa_angel:

Problem is...his opinion reaches millions. Just as the guy that "came out" reached millions. Is he a christian? If he believes so in his heart. Nobody has the right to proclaim anyone christian or not christian and speak for Jesus. Nobody. It's personal. Between the two. Just like what the guy chooses to do in the bedroom.

People tell too much.

These right wingers have started a new religion they call Christianity, but it's something new. It doesn't follow the traditional morals and values of Middle Eastern and European Christianity. This religion worships wealth and corporations. They place a fetus above women. They see the wealthy as needing support and the poor as needing to be stepped on. It's almost completly white and seems to be central to the Republican Party. In this religion, lying is no longer a sin, but a sound political strategy. Just the fact that members of thise religion feel "entitled" suggests some Fascist content.

^ that

So if fundamentalist Christians are allowed to be intolerant of other people's "personal lifestyle choices" why do they whine so much when normal people are intolerant of fundamentalist Christian's bigotry?

Pat Robertson is the epitome of modern Christian Intellect of today.

eastern and European Christianity??

What the fuck are you yammering about now?? Christianity is all white?? you are truly a bigoted idiot.

Maybe because we still live in an intolerant society where being openly gay is taboo, and that since majority of pro athletes are heteosexual, maybe the environment alone has intimidated him (along with family as well) to be open about his sexuality.

Yes, bad, bad Jesus for loving the sinner. How terribly kind and holy of Him.
You are attacking a sportscaster for having the integrity and courage to forgo politically correct bullshit and stand up for his beliefs.

You are the sportscaster, different agenda. End free speech. Promote the new normal. Demonize anyone who doesn't share your opinion. :eusa_angel:

So you believe in hate? That's a "good thing"? See what I mean about a "new" religion.

Pat Robertson is the epitome of modern Christian Intellect of today.

I almost agree. There are many very good Christians. I would have to qualify that with Pat being a perfect example of the "new" religion right wingers call Christianity, the same name used by the original Christianity, but the religion is very different.

Forum List

Back