Christians attempt to silence non-religious messages at Christmas

Yeah. And a secular reference to God and Christianity would be our calendar, for instance.

Not the religiously motivated insertion of "under God" into the pledge of allegiance.

Of course atheists have a right to free speech. They don't have the right to intimidate or silence Christians. Which is what they are attempting to do when they claim that it's "hate speech" for Christians to talk about their faith, but it's "freedom of speech" for Atheists to put ugly signs next to Christian displays.

I haven't heard anyone label christians faith as hate speech. Got any examples (Credible examples, that is)?

Yeah. Ask Ravi. I've answered this stupid question about 10 times now. People on here all the time denounce Biblical teachings as "hate speech" and preachers as promoters of hate.

I posted multiple links yesterday to pieces which referred to Christian literature/prayer and the Bible as "hate speech" including a whole bunch about a law passed in Canada which declared portions of the bible as hate speech.

Of course atheists have a right to free speech. They don't have the right to intimidate or silence Christians. Which is what they are attempting to do when they claim that it's "hate speech" for Christians to talk about their faith, but it's "freedom of speech" for Atheists to put ugly signs next to Christian displays.

Actually both sides are trying to silence the other to some extent. If they weren't, both sides would put up their displays and leave each other alone.

I would love to see Anton Levay put as much effort into decorating his community courthouse as these dogma junkies put into acting like public locations are where their personal faiths have to be conveyed. All of a sudden, Im willing to bet, the courthouse becomes off limits the very day Levay puts up an anti-nativity scene declaring HIS dogma on public land.

For the record, IMO, both are free speech.

It's hate speech if you're attempting to incite hatred against a group....which is what the atheists are doing.

I personally think the whole "hate speech/hate crime" movement is a heap of stinking shit, but that's just me.

Because you get twits using it to justify removing the bible from the masses, shutting up preachers, and accusing people like Sarah Palin of "hate speech" because she allegedly has over zealous members of her audience yell inappropriate things.

It's ridiculous.

I don't consider Christmas greetings to be 'hate speech'. I think the Christians that beat up a Jewish man for saying Happy Channukah in response to their "Merry Christmas' engaged in a hate crime. I don't think information about Solstice is hate speech. I think it was aggressive to put it right on top of a nativity scene.

Some Christian billboards and signs are cheesy and obnoxious. Not hate speech, but in bad taste.

This is what we human beings do. Tit for tat insults. Just look at any forum thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are on the same dope, apparently.

Try to kick while you still can. It's killing brain cells by the second.

You guys are on the same dope, apparently.

Try to kick while you still can. It's killing brain cells by the second.

You really shouldn't speak that way to someone who knows so much more about the Bible than you do.

Genesis 9:24-27 said:
So Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done to him. Then he said:

“Cursed be Canaan;
A servant of servants
He shall be to his brethren.”

And he said:
“ Blessed be the LORD,
The God of Shem,
And may Canaan be his servant.

May God enlarge Japheth,
And may he dwell in the tents of Shem;
And may Canaan be his servant.”

This was the Scriptural justification for Israel's later conquest of the Canaanites and theological justification not only for the conquest of Canaan, but the other descendants of Canaan, which included the nations of the Amorites, Philistines, Hittites, and the Phutites and Mizraimites, inhabitants of Africa. This later served as a theological justification for white subjugation of the natives of Africa.

I personally think the whole "hate speech/hate crime" movement is a heap of stinking shit, but that's just me.

I tend to agree. Hate Crime is simply a euphemism for "thought crime". A&B is still A&B no matter the motivation. The only value is for piling on the charges. Problem is that if you cannot convict for A&B but can convict for hate crime, then you have a hypocritical system.....

I don't consider Christmas greetings to be 'hate speech'. I think the Christians that beat up a Jewish man for saying Happy Channukah in response to their "Merry Christmas' engaged in a hate crime. I don't think information about Solstice is hate speech. I think it was aggressive to put it right on top of a nativity scene.

Some Christian billboards and signs are cheesy and obnoxious. Not hate speech, but in bad taste.

This is what we human beings do. Tit for tat insults. Just look at any forum thread.

The so-called Christians that beat the Jewish man didn't commit a hate crime IMO. They committed assault and battery and should be jailed for it. Preferably with a big ol boy named bubba who hasn't had a new playmate in months.

It may be meat for another thread but I cannot think of a "hate crime" that wasn't already illegal and covered by the criminal code.

Your last sentence is spot on. Repped if this system will let me.

Hate crime is what happened to Matthew Shephard, the young gay man who was tortured and murdered by two men who pretended they were picking him up in a bar. This was not a simple assault and battery. This was the singling out of a human being for violence based on the fact that he was gay.

Mulugeta Seraw was an ethiopian immigrant who was beaten to death by two skinheads in Portland Oregon. They were members of Tom Metzgers hate group the Aryan Resistance. This is a hate crime.

I think the black man who was dragged in a pickup truck was a victim of a hate crime.

I think the people who burned a cross on the lawn of a Buddhist center in Oregon committed a hate crime.

I agree pegwinn that what is and is not a hate crime is a worthy thread topic.

From wikepedia to prime the pump:

"Concern about hate crimes has become increasingly prominent among policymakers in many nations and at all levels of government in recent years, but the phenomenon is not new. Examples from the past include Roman persecution of Christians, the Ottoman genocide of Armenians, and the Nazi "final solution" for the Jews, and more recently, the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia and genocide in Rwanda. Hate crimes have shaped and sometimes defined world history. In the United States, racial and religious biases have inspired most hate crimes. As Europeans began to colonize the New World in the 16th and 17th centuries, Native Americans increasingly became the targets of bias-motivated intimidation and violence. During the past two centuries, some of the more typical examples of hate crimes in the US include lynchings of African Americans, cross burnings to drive black families from predominantly white neighborhoods, assaults on gay, lesbian and transgender people, and the painting of swastikas on Jewish synagogues, as well as attacks against European Americans, such as the Murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom and the Wichita Massacre."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of a valid theological basis, the Aryan Brotherhood has a fairly high quality of understanding and applications of the meaning of Scripture, as did white slaveholders before them.
Makes it all the more interesting that Abolitionists were almost entirely Christian.

Forum List

Back