Church denies funeral to gay man

God is neither catholic nor baptist nor methodist nor mormon nor muslim, but He indeed is God of us all, and if you fail treat others fairly and lovingly and in a Christ-like manner, you will come to rue the day and collapse in anguish and tears on that awesome day to come. Amen.

That's as much a faith-based position as claiming that God believes only X denomination or religion is the true religion.

For all you know God could see Baptists as the only ones who truly get it and cast everyone else into hell.

God is neither catholic nor baptist nor methodist nor mormon nor muslim, but He indeed is God of us all, and if you fail treat others fairly and lovingly and in a Christ-like manner, you will come to rue the day and collapse in anguish and tears on that awesome day to come. Amen.

That's as much a faith-based position as claiming that God believes only X denomination or religion is the true religion. For all you know God could see Baptists as the only ones who truly get it and cast everyone else into hell.

Rik, I surely know you are wrong and that the hardness of your heart and the stiff neckedness of your pride and the the shallowness of your soul are not only visible to God but all who read your tiny mewlings.

God cannot be put in your box.

Again, why don't you show us Scripture on what Jesus wants. Otherwise proclaim your lord to be Lucifer and be done with it. Every true Christian on here knows you worship a false god, and his name is Lucifer.

You wish people to think you are a Christian, but have nothing to back up that claim. Now yell upstairs to your mother and get your cookies and milk before your nap time.:lol:

Ok, I will. Read Mathew 7:1-3.

I thought you didn't give a 'rats ass' about Scripture there Vandal, glad to see you read some of it, now I will tell you what it means.

Matthew 7: 1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?…

These verses do not say that men should not judge one another. As much as many people wish they did. They say that if you judge someone, that same standard of measure will be used against you on the judgment day. I don't fear the judgment day, as many other Christians do not fear the judgment day, for they follow the next verse as well.

Jesus also says in
John 7:24"Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Thanks for deciding to give a 'rats ass' hope you learned something.

I don't give a rat's ass, but I thought you would care what your own scripture says. I was wrong. You are spinning it so fast that you are making yourself dizzy.

There is not a whole lot of difference between today's Christianity, and country clubs and fraternities. You must prove yourself worthy to join. When I was a kid, that automatically excluded anyone with dark skin, in my home in Atlanta. God forbid that a sinner enter the sacred halls of the anointed ones. The church in question should just go full bore and imitate the Mormons, and give out "Temple passes" to the chosen ones.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

None are worthy to be in the Presence of God. We are all saved through Grace. Nothing we do here can make us worthy. Being the best person that ever lived and saving thousands of people from death could not make us worthy. Only the Blood of the Lamb, which covers our sin, lets us live in the Presence of God.

A true Christian Church would welcome anyone, who was there to try to find the Truth, the Way and the Life. If they do not, then they are not a Christian Church. But for those who come to the door, just to spread their own brand of hate and lies and mis-directions, they may not be welcomed by the Church.

OK. I get it. The family of the deceased gay guy was there to spread their own brand of "Hate" by arranging their funeral there.

Even Jesus himself would not be welcome in a church like that, considering the kind of people he hung out with.

Last edited:
The church, in this instance, is turning their self-righteous backs on the family of the deceased, because of sex acts that he performed with a man, every one of which, I have performed with my wife. They are, in fact, directly on the side of Westbro Baptist Church. Nobody that I know would prohibit those bastards from exercising their religious beliefs, no matter how disgusting and sanctimonious. The same is true of the church who denied the funeral for the deceased gay. It is important to me that these "Christians' have the right to reveal themselves as the assholes they are, because the world should know that they are beneath contempt. The whole thing reminds me of when Pat Roberts starts on one of his rants about AIDS being God's curse on gays, while totally ignoring those dying from it from blood transfusions and inheriting it as a child through no fault of his own.

May these people reap what they sow.
That's not right Vandal...

The church isn't turning their back on anyone.

They have doctrines they believe in and uphold.

Doctrines that the deceased clearly did not hold.

You can't expect them to turn around and condone the deceased lifestyle.

Yes, funerals are for the living, for the dead know nothing, but the deceased died while living in sin. The church isn't obligated to have their funeral there.

Religion is such a personal choice, why not have the funeral at a church who believes in what the deceased believed in rather than forcing a church that doesn't to?

[MENTION=42404]Vandalshandle[/MENTION]

I see that you have earned the seal of approval by Sunni Man.

I rest my case.

Kind of reminds me of when the Catholic church told my wife that her first baby, which was born dead, could not be buried in consecrated ground because the child had not been baptized. That is when she walked out of the church, and never returned.

Here is Catholic Canon:

May unbaptized babies receive a Catholic funeral? What about miscarried babies? If a child’s parents intended to have their child baptized but the child died before the sacrament could be administered, the local ordinary may allow the child to have a Catholic funeral (cf. Canon 1183.2).​

From your wife's actions I find it entirely plausible that she was a Catholic in name only and that the local Church leaders didn't believe that she met the condition of bring her child into the community of Catholics via baptism and so, as a stranger to the church, they denied her the right to bury an unbaptized child amongst all those who had had baptism and entered into a Catholic fellowship.

There are two sides to consider here - those who are buried, and their families, and your wife's position.

Catholic law allows such burials and it doesn't penalize faithful Catholic parents whose child died before they were able to baptize the child. No Church-man is going to PURPOSELY antagonize a FAITHFUL Catholic parishioner in this way, but a stranger to the Church is not owed the benefit of the doubt.

Nice! The priest, who one would think is there to comfort the grieving not only tells the grieving mother that her child can not be buried in consecrated ground, since it was not baptized, but that she will never see the child in the afterlife, because it will spend eternity in limbo.

Although this happened 14 years before I met her, I was extremely proud when she told me that that she did not even excuse herself as she left the church and the priest. She simply stood, turned, and walked away, never to return.

I have been told that priests nowadays have minimalized the whole "limbo" thing.

Too Little. Too late.

Kind of reminds me of when the Catholic church told my wife that her first baby, which was born dead, could not be buried in consecrated ground because the child had not been baptized. That is when she walked out of the church, and never returned.

Here is Catholic Canon:

May unbaptized babies receive a Catholic funeral? What about miscarried babies? If a child’s parents intended to have their child baptized but the child died before the sacrament could be administered, the local ordinary may allow the child to have a Catholic funeral (cf. Canon 1183.2).​

From your wife's actions I find it entirely plausible that she was a Catholic in name only and that the local Church leaders didn't believe that she met the condition of bring her child into the community of Catholics via baptism and so, as a stranger to the church, they denied her the right to bury an unbaptized child amongst all those who had had baptism and entered into a Catholic fellowship.

There are two sides to consider here - those who are buried, and their families, and your wife's position.

Catholic law allows such burials and it doesn't penalize faithful Catholic parents whose child died before they were able to baptize the child. No Church-man is going to PURPOSELY antagonize a FAITHFUL Catholic parishioner in this way, but a stranger to the Church is not owed the benefit of the doubt.

Nice! The priest, who one would think is there to comfort the grieving not only tells the grieving mother that her child can not be buried in consecrated ground, since it was not baptized, but that she will never see the child in the afterlife, because it will spend eternity in limbo.

Although this happened 14 years before I met her, I was extremely proud when she told me that that she did not even excuse herself as she left the church and the priest. She simply stood, turned, and walked away, never to return.

I have been told that priests nowadays have minimalized the whole "limbo" thing.

Too Little. Too late.

You have a really weird conception of how religions work. Let me give you a primer. Religions have beliefs. Religions treat these beliefs as though there are real. If an unbaptized person goes to limbo and a baptized person goes to Heaven, then these are two separate places and people/spirits will not meet.

Again, the position that religions should blow sunshine up your skirt and make you happy by telling you what you want to hear is really shining a spotlight on the self-centeredness of you and/or your wife.

Here is Catholic Canon:

...and you completely missunderstand that I have never posted a word regarding religion in an effort to change their incredibly bigoted beliefs. I post only to mock their hipocracy. It is like the Republicans. The more they demonize coloreds, marginalize women, demean gays, and pretty much find fault with everone but themselves, the better off the democratic party is in comparison.

No. I would not change this churches "rules". I simply call them out on their completely unChristlike behavior. I don't have to deal with them, after all; nor, would I want to.

Last edited:
TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

They should have checked.

Huh? Checked what? You think they have a gaydar detector? You want them handing out surveys of all their people? Are you gay? Are you gay? Submit everyone to an FBI background check?

Now if he says to people there "I'm Gay", I would kicked him out of the church right then (assuming he professed faith too).

A better question, is why did this dude go to a church for years (assuming he was a member or such), that preached what he was doing was wrong?

Here's a thought.... if you are not going to follow the teachings of your church.... leave. Go to a church that teaches what you believe.

Now once this guy hid the fact he was completely against the teaching of the church he went to, the church did the right thing, and stood on their principals. I support them.

Androw, you have by your own words proved to be false clergy.

Move along, you have no authority here.

Your congregation should end your ministry now and send you packing.

The church, in this instance, is turning their self-righteous backs on the family of the deceased, because of sex acts that he performed with a man, every one of which, I have performed with my wife. They are, in fact, directly on the side of Westbro Baptist Church. Nobody that I know would prohibit those bastards from exercising their religious beliefs, no matter how disgusting and sanctimonious. The same is true of the church who denied the funeral for the deceased gay. It is important to me that these "Christians' have the right to reveal themselves as the assholes they are, because the world should know that they are beneath contempt. The whole thing reminds me of when Pat Roberts starts on one of his rants about AIDS being God's curse on gays, while totally ignoring those dying from it from blood transfusions and inheriting it as a child through no fault of his own.

May these people reap what they sow.

Yes, funerals are for the living, for the dead know nothing, but the deceased died while living in sin. The church isn't obligated to have their funeral there.

Religion is such a personal choice, why not have the funeral at a church who believes in what the deceased believed in rather than forcing a church that doesn't to?

I rest my case.
You're reacting, not responding.

Please respond to what I said.

No one in the church needs to "condone" the man's lifestyle.

He is dead, and now in the hands of God.

Send him on in peace, Marc, and leave the disagreements at the door.

I rest my case.

I invite you to Google the Unitarians. That is as close as I would ever come to attending a church. In a nutshell, all are welcome, whether or not they even believe in a supreme being. Is it right for everyone? Of course not. But, I have seen the same tolerance in some mainstream churches. I have read the Bible three times, and I have read the Gospels. I find that Luke is heavily fictionalized to bridge between old testament prophesies, and Jesus' life. The principles that Jesus taught make up a good philosophy of life. It is too bad that it is seldom practiced. As for the Old Testament, to me it is nothing but antiquated Jewish gibberish.

Last edited:
If the church doesn't allow it, then the queers should find another church.
It wouldn't be allowed in my church (Catholic).
Two men porking, sucking/fucking .... tsk tsk

They need to get to confession.

So, you claim to be Christian? Lol, no wonder so many people don't believe in going to church, who would want to attend with so-called Christians like you?

I rest my case.

I invite you to Google the Unitarians. That is as close as I would ever come to attending a church. In a nutshell, all are welcome, whether or not they even believe in a supreme being. Is it right for everyone? Of course not.

This is as crazy as the Seattle preacher who is also a practicing Muslim:

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.

On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.

She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.​

Crazy people congregating together is fine, but playacting that they're actually a part of a religion is where it gets crazy for everyone else, those who aren't crazy. Religions are about the faithful believing in a common thing. It's really stretching the limits of credulity to argue that the common tie holding these people together is they believe everyone is correct. The person who hates the devil is in the same church as the person who loves the devil and they're both right. Only a freaking liberal could see sense in that.

I invite you to Google the Unitarians. That is as close as I would ever come to attending a church. In a nutshell, all are welcome, whether or not they even believe in a supreme being. Is it right for everyone? Of course not.

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.

Crazy people congregating together is fine, but playacting that they're actually a part of a religion is where it gets crazy for everyone else, those who aren't crazy. Religions are about the faithful believing in a common thing. It's really stretching the limits of credulity to argue that the common tie holding these people together is they believe everyone is correct. The person who hates the devil is in the same church as the person who loves the devil and they're both right. Only a freaking liberal could see sense in that.

The Unitarians that I know never judge who is "correct", and who is not. It is all about mutual respect of our fellow human beings. That would include those that your church shuns as unworthy of being in your congregation.

The Unitarians that I know never judge who is "correct", and who is not. It is all about mutual respect of our fellow human beings. That would include those that your church shuns as unworthy of being in your congregation.

Look, there are a lot of loons in the ranks of liberals. This non-judgmentalism is a manifestation of this. If I KNOW something to be TRUE, then I'd have to be off my rocker to claim that it's false. If I KNOW that the gun you're holding to your head is loaded and you claim it isn't, we both can't be correct. One of us is right and the other is wrong. If I know that I'm right then I have a duty to be JUDGMENTAL and to stop your from pulling the trigger.

The same applies with religion. People believe in religion because they believe it to be true. If I'm on the right road and you're not following me, then it follows that you're on the wrong road.

Non-judgmentalism is simply an unwillingness to defend one's own beliefs. This is so weak tea that it's barely above having no beliefs or standards at all.

"Is incest wrong?"
"Well, it's wrong for me but I certainly don't want to judge you."

That's just a cowards way. From what you've said about your and your wife's reactions about the Catholic Church having standards and applying them and how this upset you, I can see why you'd like these Unitarians. You guys have really bought into this non-judgmentalism philosophy. This is like an intellectual cancer infecting society. Having no standards is better than, and more polite than, having a standard and advocating or defending the standard.

"Can you be a Christians preacher and a Muslim at the same time?"
"Hey, if it works for you, who am I to judge."
"Dude, the beliefs are mutually contradictory - you can't be both."
"Yeah, but I don't want to appear judgmental because in my religion, liberalism, it's s mark of shame to express judgment on anything because that makes you look narrow minded and for those of us in the religion of liberalism, our self-image is the most important thing to us."

Forum List

Back