Church denies funeral to gay man

The Unitarians that I know never judge who is "correct", and who is not. It is all about mutual respect of our fellow human beings. That would include those that your church shuns as unworthy of being in your congregation.

I don't have a church, I'm an Atheist.

The Unitarians that I know never judge who is "correct", and who is not. It is all about mutual respect of our fellow human beings. That would include those that your church shuns as unworthy of being in your congregation.

I don't have a church, I'm an Atheist.

In the last five minutes?

Peddle it elsewhere, son.

You have some funny misconceptions about Atheists. To be one doesn't imply that you have to be on a holy jihad against religious belief or believers, all it means is that you don't believe. Period.

What I've done in this thread is acknowledged that religious people believe in their faith and they see their beliefs as true. I'm simply acknowledging what I see before me. It's not my job to proselytize to people, I don't care what they believe or whether they believe or not. It's none of my business.

This is as crazy as the Seattle preacher who is also a practicing Muslim:

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.

On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.

She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.​

Crazy people congregating together is fine, but playacting that they're actually a part of a religion is where it gets crazy for everyone else, those who aren't crazy. Religions are about the faithful believing in a common thing. It's really stretching the limits of credulity to argue that the common tie holding these people together is they believe everyone is correct. The person who hates the devil is in the same church as the person who loves the devil and they're both right. Only a freaking liberal could see sense in that.

Look, there are a lot of loons in the ranks of liberals. This non-judgmentalism is a manifestation of this. If I KNOW something to be TRUE, then I'd have to be off my rocker to claim that it's false. If I KNOW that the gun you're holding to your head is loaded and you claim it isn't, we both can't be correct. One of us is right and the other is wrong. If I know that I'm right then I have a duty to be JUDGMENTAL and to stop your from pulling the trigger.

The same applies with religion. People believe in religion because they believe it to be true. If I'm on the right road and you're not following me, then it follows that you're on the wrong road.

Non-judgmentalism is simply an unwillingness to defend one's own beliefs. This is so weak tea that it's barely above having no beliefs or standards at all.

"Is incest wrong?"
"Well, it's wrong for me but I certainly don't want to judge you."

That's just a cowards way. From what you've said about your and your wife's reactions about the Catholic Church having standards and applying them and how this upset you, I can see why you'd like these Unitarians. You guys have really bought into this non-judgmentalism philosophy. This is like an intellectual cancer infecting society. Having no standards is better than, and more polite than, having a standard and advocating or defending the standard.

"Can you be a Christians preacher and a Muslim at the same time?"
"Hey, if it works for you, who am I to judge."
"Dude, the beliefs are mutually contradictory - you can't be both."
"Yeah, but I don't want to appear judgmental because in my religion, liberalism, it's s mark of shame to express judgment on anything because that makes you look narrow minded and for those of us in the religion of liberalism, our self-image is the most important thing to us."

Trust me, I am not about to attempt to take away your right to your bigotry and self-righteousness. It is what you are all about.

You cannot deny a man a funeral the day before it. That is just wrong.

That's what I'm saying. It's one thing to deny the funeral. But to do it on such short notice is just an insult to that poor mother who just lost her son.
It is also the church implying that the guy is going to hell. In other words, they know better than God.

How sad and cruel.
umm, no. You read into it like that.

TAMPA, FL (WFLA) - Julie Atwood was standing at her son's casket when the phone rang. The church where her son's funeral was scheduled to be held the next day decided to abruptly cancel the service, after the pastor learned the deceased was gay and his obituary listed a surviving "husband."

Atwood said she was told it would be "blasphemous" to hold the services at the church because her son, Julion Evans, 42, was gay.

He says the obituary named him as "husband," and that their marriage was no secret.

But when the obituary published in the local newspaper, everything changed.

T.W. Jenkins, pastor at New Hope says was not aware of that Evans had a husband or was gay until members of his congregation saw the obit and called to complain. They did not think it was right to have the funeral at their church.

Jenkins said his church preaches against gay marriage.

"Based on our preaching of the scripture, we would have been in error to allow the service in our church," Jenkins said. "I'm not trying to condemn anyone's lifestyle, but at the same time, I am a man of God, and I have to stand up for my principles."

Church denies funeral to gay man - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

This is simply a "now my church will look bad" story. :lol:

Bunch of wankers, whinging about having a funeral for a gay man. They should be ashamed of themselves.

No one in the church needs to "condone" the man's lifestyle.

He is dead, and now in the hands of God.

Send him on in peace, Marc, and leave the disagreements at the door.
[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION],

I don't believe the church is stopping the deceased from being sent on in peace.

You can't expect them to drop their standards for one person.

Why would you want to?

I see that you have earned the seal of approval by Sunni Man.

I rest my case.
You're reacting, not responding.

Please respond to what I said.

I invite you to Google the Unitarians. That is as close as I would ever come to attending a church. In a nutshell, all are welcome, whether or not they even believe in a supreme being. Is it right for everyone? Of course not. But, I have seen the same tolerance in some mainstream churches. I have read the Bible three times, and I have read the Gospels. I find that Luke is heavily fictionalized to bridge between old testament prophesies, and Jesus' life. The principles that Jesus taught make up a good philosophy of life. It is too bad that it is seldom practiced. As for the Old Testament, to me it is nothing but antiquated Jewish gibberish.
I was already familiar with Unitarians, as I listened to quite a few of entire services on WPCT Chicago...they are on the kooky side.

From their name alone, they have it wrong, they are called "Unitarians" because they don't believe in a tribune God. That is wrong/false from the outset.

Jesus himself said that he is God.

Please read John 14 where you'll see this text amongst others....

John 14:7 said:
If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Read the entire chapter of John 14, Jesus is pretty clear in claiming His divinity.

Not to mention the numerous passages where He instructs us to pray in the name of the Father, Son & Holy Ghost.

Additionally, taking it back to the Old Testament, Genesis to be exact, where it states that "WE" created man in "OUR" image.

The Tribune God is as clear as day.

We live in a day and age where people want to pick and choose what to believe, no matter how wrong it may be, and there are ample churches to provide it.

These are, indeed, the last days my brother.

Last edited:
Androw, you have by your own words proved to be false clergy.

Move along, you have no authority here.

Your congregation should end your ministry now and send you packing.

Thanks! People like you have existed for thousands of years, and the church has not left. By the way, I am not clergy. I'm no pastor, that's for sure.

People like you, Androw, who do not understand God and His love have existed before the foundations of time. I am so glad you are not a pastor, but your soul is God's, so I will continue to pray for you by name.

Marc, the church has every legal right to not hold a funeral for the deceased, but its refusal undercuts the reason for church.

For shame on all of you.

Jesus glances over to the robber crucified next to him, "Your sins are forgiven." Then he whispers down to his followers, "Don't bury this guy with me okay?"

I seriously doubt that happened. :)

People like you, Androw, who do not understand God and His love have existed before the foundations of time. I am so glad you are not a pastor, but your soul is God's, so I will continue to pray for you by name.

Marc, the church has every legal right to not hold a funeral for the deceased, but its refusal undercuts the reason for church.

For shame on all of you.

Jake, you give Christians a bad name. I highly doubt you to be a Christian. You are self-serving, and pushing a homosexual agenda, and there is nothing written in the Word, that condones homosexuality, all that is Written, condemns homosexual acts.

You have yet to quote one Scripture. I believe it is due to the fact that the scripture you adhere too is not from the Bible, but from the book of the beast.

As I have said, you are a false prophet, who is leading many astray and into eternal damnation. If you actually think you are a Christian, then get in a church that actually opens up and uses the Holy Bible.

Now quote something from the Bible to back up your position, or in your words, 'move along'.

For shame on all of you.

Jake, you give Christians a bad name. I highly doubt you to be a Christian. You are self-serving, and pushing a homosexual agenda, and there is nothing written in the Word, that condones homosexuality, all that is Written, condemns homosexual acts.

You have yet to quote one Scripture. I believe it is due to the fact that the scripture you adhere too is not from the Bible, but from the book of the beast.

As I have said, you are a false prophet, who is leading many astray and into eternal damnation. If you actually think you are a Christian, then get in a church that actually opens up and uses the Holy Bible.

Now quote something from the Bible to back up your position, or in your words, 'move along'.

Nonsense.

There is no 'homosexual agenda.'

And it's the hate and ignorance exhibited by you and other Christians toward gay Americans that in fact gives your faith a bad name.

Androw without a doubt brings a pall of dishonor on our Lord and His Gospel of love.

Androw pushes hatred in the name of Christianity, a contrast of action versus talk.

Androw is a servant of the beast and a secret cancer in his congregation devoted to corrupting it from the inside so that it "stinketh with corruption."

Androw is a pharisee who is unable to read scripture and understand, trying to put his devilish beliefs as a fence around his congregation.

And who say "for shame" but know that those such as Androw that serve the beast have no shame.

This whole funeral for a deceased gay is really a WWJD issue. I am trying to picture Jesus telling his followers that the Temple can not be profaned by the funeral of a man who was gay. In fact, I find it absolutely impossible to imagine him doing that.

But, so be it. I was a Baptist when I was growing up, and the fact that they had no room in the church for a man with dark skin was enough to convince me that organized religion is the pits.

For shame on all of you.

Nonsense.

There is no 'homosexual agenda.'

And it's the hate and ignorance exhibited by you and other Christians toward gay Americans that in fact gives your faith a bad name.

No 'homosexual agenda.' :lol::lol::lol:

Well, we know you're nuts.

Sorry mate, homosexual acts are a choice, and not a Christian choice.

I don't hate homosexuals, but I will tell them the truth. If they don't like it, I can't help it. If you believe something to be true, and you lie about that, you become a hypocrite, that is something I am not. I will tell everyone that homosexual acts are a sin. What is in it for me to lie to them?

If you consider it hate and ignorance, that is your choice, I consider the fact that I tell people the whole truth of what I believe and don't sugarcoat it for anyone, to make them feel better about God, an act of love, and what Jesus would have me to do.

1 Timothy 5: 17The elders who rule well are to be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING," and "The laborer is worthy of his wages."

Proverbs 14: 25A truthful witness saves lives, But he who utters lies is treacherous.

Again, you don't have to agree with me, but I am teaching the truth, as I believe it to be, to do anything less would be an act of hate.

There is an homosexual agenda by the far right nuts, but that is being crushed ever more quickly by Christians, common sense, and love.

WWJD is certainly not what WWUSAD.

[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] we all know.

You do serve the beast! You use no Scripture, you don't even know enough to capitalize Scripture, when referring to the Word from the Holy Bible.

You have no shame, you have no knowledge of Scripture, you serve a false lord.

Matthew 7: 15"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16"You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?…

Matthew 24: …10"At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11"Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12"Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.…

2 Peter 2: 1But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. 2Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned;…

There are many more verses about you Jake, I have no doubt that you are a false prophet, just as most people on here now know you to be one.

I don't tell people the truth to make friends, I actually hate hurting people's feelings. But, knowing what I know and lying about it would be an even greater sin than murder.

Now go away Jake, before I really rebuke you! Yes, this was me being nice.

Last edited:
Now go away Jake, before I really rebuke you!

:lol:

I don't have a dog in that fight, but I really need to start telling people I'm going to rebuke them.

Step off or I'm going to rebuke the shit out of you! :lol:

Forum List

Back