Citizenship 101 | Civics Education | Survey of Adults - 36% 35% 27% 21%

There is no way educated people would fall for that.

So, "there is no way educated people would" possibly have a point of view that differs from yours? You arrogant fuck.

Liberals... :rolleyes:
again, please go away until you are able to contribute something of substance

most people want to start off the new year on a better footing. you're just a foolish troll posting insults and garbage

Civics education hasn't completely disappeared from American schools -- but...

A survey of adults conducted in September by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania found that only 36% could name all three branches of the U.S. government; 35% couldn't name even one. Only 27% of respondents knew that it requires a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate to override a president's veto, and 21% wrongly thought that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision must be returned to Congress for reconsideration. Kathleen Hall Jamieson, the director of the Annenberg center, said the survey “offers dramatic evidence of the need for more and better civics education.”
Education in good citizenship is being shortchanged by an American educational system that is focused on other 'core competencies.' - Citizenship 101 Too many Americans are ignorant of the basics of democracy - LA Times

Who is to blame and why?

The school SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is worried more about how it looks on paper rather than educating the students. When someone can graduate, get accepted to college, and have to take remedial classes, the system is a joke.

true, but blaming the school 'system' is a cop out. We as citizens are in charge of the system. We can change any 'system' we want if we can convince others to agree with us rather than sitting and shouting slogans.

We get the school system we deserve

I fought it for 13 years as a teacher. If you think it's easy, you're wrong. The problem is that while there are those of us who will actually do something to fight it, we are outnumbered tremendously by those who benefit from the way it is or don't care outside their own child.

I taught American Government and Civics. Not one person got credit for a class required to graduate unless they truly passed including SENIORS that did not graduate with their class as a result. Trust me, I lived hard for it but no one was going to pin percentages like that on me for not having done my job.

A survey of adults conducted in September by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania found that only 36% could name all three branches of the U.S. government; 35% couldn't name even one. Only 27% of respondents knew that it requires a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate to override a president's veto, and 21% wrongly thought that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision must be returned to Congress for reconsideration. Kathleen Hall Jamieson, the director of the Annenberg center, said the survey “offers dramatic evidence of the need for more and better civics education.”
Education in good citizenship is being shortchanged by an American educational system that is focused on other 'core competencies.' - Citizenship 101 Too many Americans are ignorant of the basics of democracy - LA Times

Who is to blame and why?

The school SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is worried more about how it looks on paper rather than educating the students. When someone can graduate, get accepted to college, and have to take remedial classes, the system is a joke.

true, but blaming the school 'system' is a cop out. We as citizens are in charge of the system. We can change any 'system' we want if we can convince others to agree with us rather than sitting and shouting slogans.

We get the school system we deserve

I fought it for 13 years as a teacher. If you think it's easy, you're wrong. The problem is that while there are those of us who will actually do something to fight it, we are outnumbered tremendously by those who benefit from the way it is or don't care outside their own child.

I taught American Government and Civics. Not one person got credit for a class required to graduate unless they truly passed including SENIORS that did not graduate with their class as a result. Trust me, I lived hard for it but no one was going to pin percentages like that on me for not having done my job.

I apologize if I led you to believe it should be easy for an individual to change anything. I respect what you claim to have done and only wish there were others within the system who would stand up. But i am speaking to the citizenship at large -- the polity. We won the system. It is ours.

Conservative65 :clap2:

There is a lot blame to go around concerning this issue. Apathetic teachers/students/parents all share some of the blame

There is a lot blame to go around concerning this issue. Apathetic teachers/students/parents all share some of the blame

yes. We all get to vote on what we have. We all get to push it off onto others. We get to complain. We all get to suffer the consequences of avoiding public duty and obligations

So, "there is no way educated people would" possibly have a point of view that differs from yours? You arrogant fuck.

Selectively quoting what I said is the same as lying isn't it?

No, addressing just part of the pile of shit you posted is not "lying." Stop whining.

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing. Even in the wild west, they made them check their guns at the sheriff's office when they came to town. Obviously you aren't educated enough to understand what you read.

I think the parents and their concern for their children's education are key. Educated parents inspire their children to thirst for knowledge and interests in things such as civics. Ignorance often breeds ignorance, but parents who are involved in their children's educations can break a viscous cycle.

Who is to blame and why?

Not surprising but very sad and more than a little scary. A populous this ignorant all but insures we as citizens will continue to gradually lose our freedoms.

I guess we get the Government we deserve. :(
which freedoms have we been losing? can you be specific?

Most Americans enjoyed their freedom from the Federal Government until 1913 when we got the 16th amendment which gave the power of the Feds to tax us.
The only Federal contact most Americans had was the Post Office up until then.
From then until now we have lost a lot of freedoms.
They have been chipping away at our Constitutional amendments ever since then.

Freedom FROM the federal government? Is that one in the Bill of Rights? :rofl:

you saying "a lot of freedoms' is not equal to listing even one freedom

try again

Yes it is.
Amendment Ten
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The Feds have taken over the States rights and the power of the people.

I think the parents and their concern for their children's education are key. Educated parents inspire their children to thirst for knowledge and interests in things such as civics. Ignorance often breeds ignorance, but parents who are involved in their children's educations can break a viscous cycle.

of course, but what about the system?

Who is to blame and why?

Not surprising but very sad and more than a little scary. A populous this ignorant all but insures we as citizens will continue to gradually lose our freedoms.

I guess we get the Government we deserve. :(
which freedoms have we been losing? can you be specific?

Most Americans enjoyed their freedom from the Federal Government until 1913 when we got the 16th amendment which gave the power of the Feds to tax us.
The only Federal contact most Americans had was the Post Office up until then.
From then until now we have lost a lot of freedoms.
They have been chipping away at our Constitutional amendments ever since then.

Freedom FROM the federal government? Is that one in the Bill of Rights? :rofl:

you saying "a lot of freedoms' is not equal to listing even one freedom

try again

Yes it is.
Amendment Ten
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The Feds have taken over the States rights and the power of the people.

What? So you hate the amendment process that forced states to obey federal Bill of Rights?

There is no 'freedom from federal government' in the US Constitution is there?

Unk is a punk. why bother? ?

That's it, keep begging for allies. You are deeply insecure.

Sounds like at least one of us is.

No, addressing just part of the pile of shit you posted is not "lying." Stop whining.

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing....

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your view on those issues. Are you too stupid to understand what you wrote yourself?

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing. Even in the wild west, they made them check their guns at the sheriff's office when they came to town. Obviously you aren't educated enough to understand what you read.

It depends on which town, other towns had different laws when it came to guns in their towns.
That is the difference.
The Local town and Cities did that with guns not the Feds. The majority of the people said that is what they wanted. That's called the power of the people.
That gave each City and Town to do what the majority of the locals wanted, not the Feds who impose it on every State, whether the local people want it or not.
When the Feds do it, it takes away our freedom.

It depends on which town, other towns had different laws when it came to guns in their towns.
That is the difference.
The Local town and Cities did that with guns not the Feds. The majority of the people said that is what they wanted. That's called the power of the people.
That gave each City and Town to do what the majority of the locals wanted, not the Feds who impose it on every State, whether the local people want it or not.
When the Feds do it, it takes away our freedom.

Under our Federalist Republic, Freedoms come with costs and obligations -- and an amendment process

Forum List

Back