Clearing up a misconception atheists have about practicing Christians

Say, did you guys ever find a decision she made based on her faith and not the law?
Ask me again in a few years. She gained her status via her cultish religious views. So i imagine it is inevitable. When you hire someone for one specific reason, you expect them to follow through on that. That's reasonable.
So, just because she hasn't before is reason to believe she's going to start. LOL!

, then, how leftists seem to have a great desire to use the force of government to dictate to others what toys they may have and play with.
This comment makes the obviously false assumption that leftism and the ideas expressed by Hitchens are somehow equivalent or interchangeable. Most tu quoque points are exceedingly weak. Yours is weaker than most.
Really? History proves me correct.

, then, how leftists seem to have a great desire to use the force of government to dictate to others what toys they may have and play with.
This comment makes the obviously false assumption that leftism and the ideas expressed by Hitchens are somehow equivalent or interchangeable. Most tu quoque points are exceedingly weak. Yours is weaker than most.
No, they are not. Listen.
The statistics of the number of Christians in America and the number of leftists, coupled with the simple pigeon hole principle, shows his assumption is clearly false. And that his tu quoque point is based on utter nonsense.
Again: History proves me correct. Your acknowledgment and agreement are not required.

Jesus is the Son of God. I am a child of God. I am a son of God. My wife is a daughter of God.

Get it?
The term “sons of God” occurs 10 times in the NASB. In the context of each occurrence, it means either angelic beings or people.

He absolutely did and threatened not only not to confirm me but to prevent me from attending the church over it. He absolutely noticed. He viewed me as a threat. An inquisitive child asking the most OBVIOUS of questions. A threat.
You were only a threat to his own lack of knowledge. You were no threat to religion, no threat to science. When you were older, you pursued science and left religion behind. Especially noticeable when you are still wondering how all the animals fit into the ark.
But anyway, i just thought the story was relevant and interesting. I don't want to overstate the impression it had on me. Because, frankly, it wasn't much. I went into the class knowing the miracles and myths were physically impossible, and I came out the other side still believing the same. Looking back, the main impression it left on me was that his lack of patience and willingness to face scrutiny reflected more on the methods of gaining faith-based knowledge and the constraints they place on faith-based thinkers than it did on the material at hand.

Last edited:
Again: History proves me correct.
Given your past, absurd, authoritative declarations, i am not moved by your newest one. Sorry.

But you are providing a very nice, salient illustration of the intellectual handicap that constrains you, when "Because i say so" is all you really have. I am sure you are quite unaware it is happening and is controlling you, but this handicap is pretty much responsible for your childish behavior.

Last edited:
"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
Lewis Carroll​

Personally, I was lucky enough to be born in the United States in the late 20th century (as opposed to 500 years ago).

I think this is on topic...

The differences between the two "methods" and their practice between the secular, scientific community and the religious community was made VERY clear to me at a young age (though, granted, my postage stamp-sized little world cannot be said with certainty to be a true representation of the entire nation or world). I was very into Cosmology and Astronomy and Biology at a very young age. Begged my parents for my first telescope at age 8 or so. I recall visiting a planetarium at a university and getting access to one of the professors on staff. I asked him about 100 questions, rapid fire, in a span of about 30 minutes. He was very patient with me and took no offense whatsoever to me saying things like, "That doesn't make any sense to me." He was kind and seemed to relish the opportunity to discuss the material with a curious, young "skeptic" who did not simply take things as true based on his authority. I was 12 years old.

A short time later, my parents enrolled me in Catechism class (Lutheran, Missouri Synod). I was actually kind of excited about it. I had so many questions about the Bible and about lessons I had been "dictated" in church and Sunday school, without any prior chances for questions or any interaction whatsoever. Instead, I was greeted with anger and ostracized by our head Pastor, whenever I *dared* to ask simple, honest questions, like:

"How could Noah POSSIBLY have fit 2 of every animal on the boat?"
"Why don't babies go to hell?"
"If Jesus could feed those people using miracles, why didn't he feed ALL the starving people of the world?"

These are simple questions one should expect a child to ask. One should have answers prepared for these questions. Instead, I was made to feel like even asking these questions was evil in and of itself. I was rebuffed and chastised for my curiosity and critical thought.

It occurred to me, even at that young age, that, possibly or even likely, the pastor threw his little fits because he didn't have a leg to stand on. While this did not make me doubt theism, it did make me step back and doubt the dogma not just in Christianity, but in all the religions. Such critical thought and skepticism has served me well to this day. So, I suppose the Good Pastor deserves a "thank you". What made me discard theism was ongoing education in the physical sciences. At first, I assumed we were just studying "God's creation". I slowly came to realize there was no need of the God hypothesis to explain anything we know or observe. We either know, or we admit we don't know and look for the answers using completely secular methods.

So, here I am today, an agnostic atheist. Sure, there might be gods. I could never say with 100% certainty that there are not. But I live each day without any need for that idea.

To circle back to the topic, I think a LOT of today's Christians are, for all practical purposes, secular in much the same way. They aren't using the idea of theism or the Christian dogma to make any important decisions in their lives on a daily basis.
Bingo.

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Atheists have their own dogma which they follow religiously.
It’s called common sense, logic, reason.
Odd. You believe all these people lack logic and reason?

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

That is simply incorrect.
Most Christians are pro choice or have had abortions Themselves. A lot of Christians aren’t “real” Christians. But you’ll take them. You’re just glad they say they believe the Jesus story. All the other stories are allegories but Mary really was a virgin.
Everyone is a sinner. Me, you, gays, straights, Christians, Jews, atheists, agnostics. Everybody. And everyone's sins are between them and God. I think the world would be a lot better place if everyone at least tried to sin less, but humans are...human. We make mistakes, and we choose to do wrong.

I don't claim anyone is not a "real" Christian. That's way above my pay grade.

You seem to have a lot of bitterness and rage towards Christians. Why?
Everyone is a sinner.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them as the 1st century religious itinerant they claim then otherwise not to have understood.
Everyone is a sinner. I don't know what's so hard to accept about that simple statement.
Everyone is a sinner. I don't know what's so hard to accept about that simple statement.
- because you have resigned yourself to perish when your physiology expires.
You may have. I have not. I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them
no sinner, those you persecute will ... but not you.

good luck to get a second chance - after renouncing your book of forgeries and fallacies.
I don't persecute anybody.

And you don't get to dictate what I believe.

Kinda sounds like you want to persecute Christians.
Breeze is worthless.
Ooooh, look at that. Hate for believers. I called it.
Breeze is worthless.
believers of books ...

you are so stupid it does not bear mentioning - your nonexistent original documents written corruptly in books you do not even know the language of to read them ... worthless is mountains above mental dereliction. d & i.
Believers in God.

Does it anger you that you've never been able to talk anyone out of their faith?
Does it anger you that you've never been able to talk anyone out of their faith?
has it been tried -
View attachment 456957
christian, or shall we refer you for who you are - crucifier.
You'd think I'd remember if I'd ever crucified anyone.

So, yes, it obviously makes you angry that you've never been able to talk anyone out of their faith.
no, thinking only what they read is all that is allowed a christian.

what you read, your christian bible is written by them, the crucifiers that is your connection to the event.

So, yes, it obviously makes you angry that you've never been able to talk anyone out of their faith.

the religion of antiquity as prescribed is the triumph over sin, good vs evil - the prescribed manor for admission to the Everlasting - it is you that persecutors and victimizes those that disagree with you. since the 4th century. your accusation of anger is your own lack of self control.

Just look at how these Bible thumpers deny global warming, evolution, wearing masks, taking the vaccine.
Keep in mind that many who are "denying global warming" are merely denying that the government can fix it. Meanwhile government is rubbing their hands in delight over another reason to raise taxes and control people. Note how well the government did with the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, etc. The last thing we need is for the government to star their War on Climate. The cynic in me notes the government is merely saying, "Want more of your money."

Wearing masks: Put masks and virus under a microscope. The weave on masks is much larger than that itty-bitty virus. Or do your own experiment and blow smoke through. People who wish to wear mask absolutely should. Government should not force the issue. Taking the vaccine: I saw a statistic stating one in four will not take the vaccine. My family fits that statistic. My husband and two daughters will (one already has). I will not. That is merely because I react badly to even over-the-counter medications. Went through two natural child-births. When I had my appendix out, took me a full month to recover from being knocked out. (Can't drink, either. :) )

Just saying we shouldn't put everyone in the same box. I have my reasons for opting for no mask, no vaccine. That doesn't mean I think everyone has the same reasons I have. We are not cookie stamps of each other, and it should not bother people when another type of cookie opts for something different than we did.
Notice for how many years you guys denied global warming was real? Now you’re saying you actually knew it was real and your real argument is there’s nothing we can do about it?

I was waiting for the day republicans stopped denying it. Trump denied it. Glad to see you’re giving up your lie for a different argument.

Oh, and isn’t lying wrong?
Very few people deny the climate is changing.

But your side simply hasn't proven man's actions have anything to do with it.

But you take it on faith because you were told to.
Scientific community isn’t lying to you
you have to be kidding ...
View attachment 456296
sure, nature is just a disposable commodity for christians ...
Anyone with any familiarity with the scientific method knows how climate "science" has been bastardized to support a predetermined conclusion.
The scientific community laughs in your face
Odd how you don't believe scientists who have faith in God.

Perhaps you just believe scientists who say things that align with your faith.
The scientific community. Consensus.

Most religious scientists admit God can’t be proven.

Given your past, absurd, authoritative declarations, i am not moved by your newest one. Sorry.

But you are providing a very nice, salient illustration of the intellectual handicap that constrains you, when "Because i say so" is all you really have. I am sure you are quite unaware it is happening and is controlling you, but this handicap is pretty much responsible for your childish behavior.
Oh, sorry, forgot. "Because I say so" is your schtick.

Leftists tend to be totalitarians when they get the chance. That's not at all up for debate. Pouting and stamping your feet does not make it untrue.

Generally speaking, atheists don't want their misconceptions about Christians corrected.
Atheists have their own dogma which they follow religiously.
It’s called common sense, logic, reason.
Odd. You believe all these people lack logic and reason?

See, this is one of those misconceptions atheists in general and you in particular hold: That Christians are not as smart as atheists, that faith and science are incompatible.

That is simply incorrect.
Most Christians are pro choice or have had abortions Themselves. A lot of Christians aren’t “real” Christians. But you’ll take them. You’re just glad they say they believe the Jesus story. All the other stories are allegories but Mary really was a virgin.
Everyone is a sinner. Me, you, gays, straights, Christians, Jews, atheists, agnostics. Everybody. And everyone's sins are between them and God. I think the world would be a lot better place if everyone at least tried to sin less, but humans are...human. We make mistakes, and we choose to do wrong.

I don't claim anyone is not a "real" Christian. That's way above my pay grade.

You seem to have a lot of bitterness and rage towards Christians. Why?
Everyone is a sinner.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them as the 1st century religious itinerant they claim then otherwise not to have understood.
the cornerstone of christianity and who are not, sinners - they persecute and victimize even if only by thought of such being true is enough to compel them over the centuries to extract their displeasure through cruelty against them
no sinner, those you persecute will ... but not you.

good luck to get a second chance - after renouncing your book of forgeries and fallacies.
I don't persecute anybody.

And you don't get to dictate what I believe.

Kinda sounds like you want to persecute Christians.
Breeze is worthless.
Ooooh, look at that. Hate for believers. I called it.
Breeze is worthless.
believers of books ...

you are so stupid it does not bear mentioning - your nonexistent original documents written corruptly in books you do not even know the language of to read them ... worthless is mountains above mental dereliction. d & i.
Believers in God.

has it been tried -
View attachment 456957
christian, or shall we refer you for who you are - crucifier.

no, thinking only what they read is all that is allowed a christian.

what you read, your christian bible is written by them, the crucifiers that is your connection to the event.

the religion of antiquity as prescribed is the triumph over sin, good vs evil - the prescribed manor for admission to the Everlasting - it is you that persecutors and victimizes those that disagree with you. since the 4th century. your accusation of anger is your own lack of self control.
Yeah, not really.

Just look at how these Bible thumpers deny global warming, evolution, wearing masks, taking the vaccine.
Keep in mind that many who are "denying global warming" are merely denying that the government can fix it. Meanwhile government is rubbing their hands in delight over another reason to raise taxes and control people. Note how well the government did with the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, etc. The last thing we need is for the government to star their War on Climate. The cynic in me notes the government is merely saying, "Want more of your money."

Wearing masks: Put masks and virus under a microscope. The weave on masks is much larger than that itty-bitty virus. Or do your own experiment and blow smoke through. People who wish to wear mask absolutely should. Government should not force the issue. Taking the vaccine: I saw a statistic stating one in four will not take the vaccine. My family fits that statistic. My husband and two daughters will (one already has). I will not. That is merely because I react badly to even over-the-counter medications. Went through two natural child-births. When I had my appendix out, took me a full month to recover from being knocked out. (Can't drink, either. :) )

Just saying we shouldn't put everyone in the same box. I have my reasons for opting for no mask, no vaccine. That doesn't mean I think everyone has the same reasons I have. We are not cookie stamps of each other, and it should not bother people when another type of cookie opts for something different than we did.
Notice for how many years you guys denied global warming was real? Now you’re saying you actually knew it was real and your real argument is there’s nothing we can do about it?

I was waiting for the day republicans stopped denying it. Trump denied it. Glad to see you’re giving up your lie for a different argument.

View attachment 456296
Anyone with any familiarity with the scientific method knows how climate "science" has been bastardized to support a predetermined conclusion.

That's because they understand the nature of faith.

You don't seem to.

Nor do religious scientists seek to prove God's existence.

View attachment 456296

You don't seem to.

All I know is this. If I saw people attacking you I would come to your rescue. If someone I know needs a couple hundred bucks I’ll give it. I don’t screw people I work with over. I’m not greedy. I don’t want anyone to go hungry. I wish we never fought another war. I have empathy towards minorities and I acknowledge their struggles. I don’t like bullies. When I watch Selma I root for king not the whites. I want to reduce pollution.

If everyone were as good as me we’d live In a great world.

Shouldnt lie, steal and cheat.

We want to believe in god we just can’t. It’s not coming from an evil place. Another misconception by theists.

Personally, I was lucky enough to be born in the United States in the late 20th century (as opposed to 500 years ago).

I think this is on topic...

The differences between the two "methods" and their practice between the secular, scientific community and the religious community was made VERY clear to me at a young age (though, granted, my postage stamp-sized little world cannot be said with certainty to be a true representation of the entire nation or world). I was very into Cosmology and Astronomy and Biology at a very young age. Begged my parents for my first telescope at age 8 or so. I recall visiting a planetarium at a university and getting access to one of the professors on staff. I asked him about 100 questions, rapid fire, in a span of about 30 minutes. He was very patient with me and took no offense whatsoever to me saying things like, "That doesn't make any sense to me." He was kind and seemed to relish the opportunity to discuss the material with a curious, young "skeptic" who did not simply take things as true based on his authority. I was 12 years old.

A short time later, my parents enrolled me in Catechism class (Lutheran, Missouri Synod). I was actually kind of excited about it. I had so many questions about the Bible and about lessons I had been "dictated" in church and Sunday school, without any prior chances for questions or any interaction whatsoever. Instead, I was greeted with anger and ostracized by our head Pastor, whenever I *dared* to ask simple, honest questions, like:

"How could Noah POSSIBLY have fit 2 of every animal on the boat?"
"Why don't babies go to hell?"
"If Jesus could feed those people using miracles, why didn't he feed ALL the starving people of the world?"

These are simple questions one should expect a child to ask. One should have answers prepared for these questions. Instead, I was made to feel like even asking these questions was evil in and of itself. I was rebuffed and chastised for my curiosity and critical thought.

It occurred to me, even at that young age, that, possibly or even likely, the pastor threw his little fits because he didn't have a leg to stand on. While this did not make me doubt theism, it did make me step back and doubt the dogma not just in Christianity, but in all the religions. Such critical thought and skepticism has served me well to this day. So, I suppose the Good Pastor deserves a "thank you". What made me discard theism was ongoing education in the physical sciences. At first, I assumed we were just studying "God's creation". I slowly came to realize there was no need of the God hypothesis to explain anything we know or observe. We either know, or we admit we don't know and look for the answers using completely secular methods.

So, here I am today, an agnostic atheist. Sure, there might be gods. I could never say with 100% certainty that there are not. But I live each day without any need for that idea.

To circle back to the topic, I think a LOT of today's Christians are, for all practical purposes, secular in much the same way. They aren't using the idea of theism or the Christian dogma to make any important decisions in their lives on a daily basis.
Our atheist ancestors had to shut their mouths. I view us just like any other minority who has suffered under white Christian men.

Women, blacks, Muslims, Jews, mexicans. All of us are told this is the white Christian males country.

Im a white male but even I can’t go along. Maybe Bruce Jenner can. Maybe Ben Carson can. Maybe Benjamin Netanyahu can. Maybe carli fiorino and condi rice can.

Are there any Mexican or Muslim republicans?

View attachment 456296

You don't seem to.

So you’re saying no atheists understand the nature of faith? I think this is another misconception you have.

So far I’m not seeing any misconceptions we have about theists but I’m seeing lots from you

Oh, sorry, forgot. "Because I say so" is your schtick.

Leftists tend to be totalitarians when they get the chance. That's not at all up for debate. Pouting and stamping your feet does not make it untrue.
Well you’re saying because you said so. Or, because your religion says so. You can’t expect to enter your holy book as evidence. if so please also include the book of Mormons. Do you know what god told Joseph Smith about your religion? It wasn’t good.

Forum List

Back