CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann

All these people
CNN Settles Covington Catholic Lawsuit Out Of Court For Undisclosed Amount

The amount of the settlement was not made public during the hearing in Covington.

Sandmann attorneys Todd McMurtry and Lin Wood filed a $275 million lawsuit against CNN last March in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. .............

lol

They probably have more money and viewers as well. I know Nick didn't get the 275 million, but I hope they settled for half of that. He'd be set for life. Never have to go college if he doesn't want to. Just buy a mansion or penthouse on the ocean, and entertain different women all the time. What a life to have that kind of money at his age.
Not even close to half. I was facetious when I wrote $100,000, the fairer estimate is about $5,000,000.00. Now by the time you take out Lin Wood's fees, costs and expenses, the kid probably owes Wood money. As I wrote before Lin Wood lost big time against Elon Musk which was a far easier case IMO. Wood wanted to settle this case as well.

He likely worked for a percentage of whatever Sandmann won, so he doesn't owe him anything. Furthermore the lawyer knows that the more Sandmann gets, the more he gets.
True, but those attorneys also take every nickel and dime out for costs. There are multiple law suits going on as well as appeals. Whether Lin Wood took these cases on contingency is unknown as well.

Probably contingency for one-third for Sandmann's case. The potential for a win was very strong.

True, but those attorneys also take every nickel and dime out for costs. There are multiple law suits going on as well as appeals. Whether Lin Wood took these cases on contingency is unknown as well.

The big bucks is paying the legal fees. Court and travel costs are nothing when you are trying for big money like this.
You're correct. There is a confidential agreement between the parties so we may never know. I suspect Sandmann would only settle anywhere near 30 million and above, CNN would have taken their chance on a trial and then fought the damages on appeal. That is why I am thinking it was substantial but not outrageous.

That depends on their legal team and their advice on how liable CNN was in that case. If they thought it was pretty open and shut, they offered him some big bucks to just go away. I'm sure Sandmann would be happy with a million bucks, but lawyers think differently.
There is a saying that a good settlement is when everyone is unhappy. That may be the case here. However if we see Sandmann zipping to school in a Ferrari, I will presume he got a good settlement. Of course there are a million ways, a settlement could be structured.

Big corporations are thinking of saving big bucks in such a suit. If they made an offer Sandmann found insulting, yes, they could let the courts handle it. But as you said, if they lost, it's years of appeals. Corporations have dream teams of lawyers. And besides the loss, CNN would have to pay them every step of the way to fight it.

100 million, and the problem goes away quietly.
My personal view and I could be wrong, but CNN would have taken it to trial rather than pay anywhere near 100 million dollars.

The big bucks is paying the legal fees. Court and travel costs are nothing when you are trying for big money like this.
You're correct. There is a confidential agreement between the parties so we may never know. I suspect Sandmann would only settle anywhere near 30 million and above, CNN would have taken their chance on a trial and then fought the damages on appeal. That is why I am thinking it was substantial but not outrageous.

That depends on their legal team and their advice on how liable CNN was in that case. If they thought it was pretty open and shut, they offered him some big bucks to just go away. I'm sure Sandmann would be happy with a million bucks, but lawyers think differently.
There is a saying that a good settlement is when everyone is unhappy. That may be the case here. However if we see Sandmann zipping to school in a Ferrari, I will presume he got a good settlement. Of course there are a million ways, a settlement could be structured.

Big corporations are thinking of saving big bucks in such a suit. If they made an offer Sandmann found insulting, yes, they could let the courts handle it. But as you said, if they lost, it's years of appeals. Corporations have dream teams of lawyers. And besides the loss, CNN would have to pay them every step of the way to fight it.

My personal view and I could be wrong, but CNN would have taken it to trial rather than pay anywhere near 100 million dollars.

Then again, a jury might have tripled the damages.

All these people
CNN Settles Covington Catholic Lawsuit Out Of Court For Undisclosed Amount

The amount of the settlement was not made public during the hearing in Covington.

Sandmann attorneys Todd McMurtry and Lin Wood filed a $275 million lawsuit against CNN last March in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky.

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. .............

lol

They probably have more money and viewers as well. I know Nick didn't get the 275 million, but I hope they settled for half of that. He'd be set for life. Never have to go college if he doesn't want to. Just buy a mansion or penthouse on the ocean, and entertain different women all the time. What a life to have that kind of money at his age.
Not even close to half. I was facetious when I wrote $100,000, the fairer estimate is about $5,000,000.00. Now by the time you take out Lin Wood's fees, costs and expenses, the kid probably owes Wood money. As I wrote before Lin Wood lost big time against Elon Musk which was a far easier case IMO. Wood wanted to settle this case as well.

He likely worked for a percentage of whatever Sandmann won, so he doesn't owe him anything. Furthermore the lawyer knows that the more Sandmann gets, the more he gets.

Probably contingency for one-third for Sandmann's case. The potential for a win was very strong.
Listen Sandmann is going to be well off after all these lawsuits are settled. Well off does not mean obscenely rich however.

They would have to find malice or reckless disregard fro the truth to get punitive damages.. That is a very tough standard and highly unlikely, and if the jury did award them, they would be subject to be stricken or reduced on appeal. Every jurisdiction is different when it comes to punitive damages.

I guess we'll never know. But it would be interesting if Sandmann donated 30 million to some charity or organization. That would give us a better clue.

Remember when all the forum TDS morons said Sandman wouldn't get a dime?

iu

CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann

COVINGTON, Ky. (FOX19) - CNN agreed Tuesday to settle a lawsuit with Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann.

The amount of the settlement was not made public during a hearing at the federal courthouse in Covington, Kentucky.

Sandmann’s lawsuit sought $800 million from CNN, the Washington Post and NBC Universal.

Trial dates are still not set for Sandmann’s lawsuit against NBC Universal and the Washington Post.

The Washington Post suit sought $250 million. A federal judge let a portion of the suit go forward after The Post filed a motion to dismiss it.

Sandmann’s attorney, Lin Wood, said, “This case will be tried not one minute earlier or later than when it is ready.”

The lawsuits were filed following an incident in Jan. 2019 in Washington, D.C. involving Covington Catholic High School students. Videos of that incident garnered national attention.

The initial video showed the self-identified Sandmann, now a senior at CovCath, and Nathan Phillips, an indigenous man who was participating in the Indigenous Peoples March. Sandmann and his classmates were in D.C. for the March For Life.
/——/ The best news is that the drum pounding Injun gets nothing.

They probably settled for a hundred grand or so of which CNN paid ZERO because it was most likely covered by insurance.;)
On CNN the TDS afflicted Cuomo flat out lied and said that Sandmann made a choice to get into a "standoff". Sorry, dude. No such thing happened. Sandmann was just standing there waiting for the bus when some TDS afflicted moron started fucking with him by banging a drum inches from his face.

With such an open and shut case there is no way in hell that they settled for a mere hundred grand or even a million. He easily got multi-millions.

They would have to find malice or reckless disregard fro the truth to get punitive damages.. That is a very tough standard and highly unlikely, and if the jury did award them, they would be subject to be stricken or reduced on appeal. Every jurisdiction is different when it comes to punitive damages.

Both judges and juries can be funny.

CNN knowingly edited the video to make Sandman look as bad as possible.

What sick MFers.

Both judges and juries can be funny.
Ain't that the truth.

Wonderful news! I hope he got enough to set him up for the rest of his life.

I think he has more people to sue. I'm thinking CNN ain't the only one who will pay. Still, money or not the kid had national media brand him a skinhead who picked of a drunk Indian who lied about being a Vietnam vet. Hopefully all that blows over for him.

I think he has more people to sue. I'm thinking CNN ain't the only one who will pay. Still, money or not the kid had national media brand him a skinhead who picked of a drunk Indian who lied about being a Vietnam vet. Hopefully all that blows over for him.

If not, with his kind of money, he can buy an island somewhere to live for a while.

They probably settled for a hundred grand or so of which CNN paid ZERO because it was most likely covered by insurance.;)
On CNN the TDS afflicted Cuomo flat out lied and said that Sandmann made a choice to get into a "standoff". Sorry, dude. No such thing happened. Sandmann was just standing there waiting for the bus when some TDS afflicted moron started fucking with him by banging a drum inches from his face.

With such an open and shut case there is no way in hell that they settled for a mere hundred grand or even a million. He easily got multi-millions.

He should use that money and invite President Trump out for dinner. That would burn CNN and the Indian guy.

If not, with his kind of money, he can buy an island somewhere to live for a while.

It's crap that he should or would have to while the liars get to continue on with their lives. I would need CNN to issue a prime time apology and an admission to the lie as well as a he money.

This kid is the best! I hope he opens a gun factory!

THE SANDMANN

They probably settled for a hundred grand or so.
ROFL! Not likely, moron. It was almost certainly well North of $10 million.
LOL..Think again numbnuts. LIn Wood got his ass whupped by Elon Musk and probably did not want to go to trial.
That indian is lucky sandmann didn’t have a gun on him

I wouldn't dare use a gun in a place like that. Like most leftist states, the laws are written for the criminals against the law abiding.

Don lemon and that fake Italian are gonna be fired you tonight! Kid has more money then them both haha

Forum List

Back