Colorado Sheriffs Threaten Not To Enforce Their Own State’s Gun Laws

Sheriffs don't make law - they enforce it.

Somewhat like Presidents are supposed to enforce the law even if they think it is unconstitutional like DOMA or should be amended because they think it is unfair like immigration law and his desire to have Congress adopt the proposed dream act?

Stop trolling and stay on thread topic.

The legislators who passed these new gun laws were duly elected by the citizens of Colorado. Therefore, if the Governor signs them into law, any sheriff who refuses to enforce the new laws should be arrested and tried accordingly. I'm sure the Colorado Constitution doesn't allow a sheriff to pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Any law that is unconstitutional should be ignored by everyone, especially police.

Oh there's a good plan. I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with that, can you? :cuckoo:

Not trolling, merely an anology. The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the country and is similar to a sheriff in that respect. So he can decide which laws to enforce and which laws to ignore and you are fine with that? However if a sheriff does the same exact thing you get upset?

Frankly, I don't get upset with either. If there is a problem, the sheriff and the president are both elected officials and will eventually be voted out of office if the people do not approve. So whats the big deal?

Somewhat like Presidents are supposed to enforce the law even if they think it is unconstitutional like DOMA or should be amended because they think it is unfair like immigration law and his desire to have Congress adopt the proposed dream act?

Presidents are enforcing laws now?? :rofl:
I gotta watch the news more often.

Not trolling, merely an anology. The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the country and is similar to a sheriff in that respect. So he can decide which laws to enforce and which laws to ignore and you are fine with that? However if a sheriff does the same exact thing you get upset?

Frankly, I don't get upset with either. If there is a problem, the sheriff and the president are both elected officials and will eventually be voted out of office if the people do not approve. So whats the big deal?

OMFG did you just post that? Seriously?
The chief law enforcement officer in the country is the Attorney General. The POTUS is not a law enforcement officer. Never has been, never will be. Welcome to America.

I take it your handle is meant as satire. Had me fooled until now.

Of course they do... much like Sheriffs do. Sheriffs contol the Sheriffs Dept whos employees arrest people, the President controls the Justice dept whos employees go out and arrest people. You really did not know that?

If you think he is off topic, report him. Stop pretending you have mod super powers when you are nothing more than an extra in the back page of the comic.

The legislators who passed these new gun laws were duly elected by the citizens of Colorado. Therefore, if the Governor signs them into law, any sheriff who refuses to enforce the new laws should be arrested and tried accordingly. I'm sure the Colorado Constitution doesn't allow a sheriff to pick and choose which laws to enforce.

Any law that is unconstitutional should be ignored by everyone, especially police.

Oh there's a good plan. I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with that, can you? :cuckoo:

Just imagine all the chaos that would have resulted if police had not enforced Jim Crow laws.

The chief law enforcement officer in the country is the Attorney General. The POTUS is not a law enforcement officer. Never has been, never will be. Welcome to America.

Did you really just post that? Are you aware that, as the head of the executive branch, it is actually part of the president's job to enforce laws?

The power of the Executive Branch is vested in the President of the United States, who also acts as head of state and Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. The President is responsible for implementing and enforcing the laws written by Congress and, to that end, appoints the heads of the federal agencies, including the Cabinet. The Vice President is also part of the Executive Branch, ready to assume the Presidency should the need arise.
The Executive Branch | The White House

I bet even the guys in the Okefenokee Swamp know that.

Welcome to the real America.

Last edited:

Of course they do... much like Sheriffs do. Sheriffs contol the Sheriffs Dept whos employees arrest people, the President controls the Justice dept whos employees go out and arrest people. You really did not know that?

What I know is that you posted this:
The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the country and is similar to a sheriff in that respect.

Which is (a) Bullshit; (b) Bullshit, and (3) all together now, Bullshit. You really did not know that? And now you're trying to spin away from it. Which is Bullshit.

So where do you stand when a law enforcement officer is put in a situation where a state law violates the constitution? Do you really think that a lawyer turned politican thinks he knows more about how to control violent criminals with guns than the police officers that face them everyday?

So where do you stand when a law enforcement officer is put in a situation where a state law violates the constitution? Do you really think that a lawyer turned politican thinks he knows more about how to control violent criminals with guns than the police officers that face them everyday?

That question is what we have the Judicial branch for. You or I or some random cop don't get to just decide it on our own. If we did we'd be down to that anarchy that Quaintum Windmachine thinks would be a swell idea.

Which is (a) Bullshit; (b) Bullshit, and (3) all together now, Bullshit. You really did not know that? And now you're trying to spin away from it. Which is Bullshit.

Not bullshit. The president is vested with all executive power of the US government as it clearly states in the Consititution:

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.

That includes law enforcement. The president can and does delegate authority of others to do these tasks, but constitutionally it is his ballgame. Which is why he hires and can fire the AG. Do you deny this? Did you flunk civics?

So what do you think about the directive from the President to DoJ not to enforce immigration law to the extent that it would conflict with his "Dream Act"? How does this differ from Sheriff's deciding not to enforce parts of the law they do not like?

First of all, Constitutionality is not the enforcement officer's call to make. Second, these new Colorado laws do not create more danger for police officers. The new laws are designed to reduce gun danger for everyone.

That question is what we have the Judicial branch for. You or I or some random cop don't get to just decide it on our own. If we did we'd be down to that anarchy that Quaintum Windmachine thinks would be a swell idea.

Was Obama wrong when he decided not to enforce DOMA?

What I know is that you posted this:
The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the country and is similar to a sheriff in that respect.

If we ignore the fact that it isn't bullshit you actually scored a point there.

The judicial branch is vested with the judicial power and usually have the last word on what the law is. Legislators, executive officers and even the cop on the beat must also make determinations as they go along, but there decision is ultimately subject to the the courts review.

First of all, Constitutionality is not the enforcement officer's call to make. Second, these new Colorado laws do not create more danger for police officers. The new laws are designed to reduce gun danger for everyone.

As an retired law enforcement officer I must tell you the constitution was a pretty big study of ours when I went through patrol school. I would hate to think that time was a waste. I refuse to violate the constitution.

The new gun laws are designed for political reasons. There have been many situations in this country where an armed citizen has saved a law enforcement officer so you really don't know if this Colorado law puts police in more danger or not.

Forum List

Back