Colorado Sheriffs Threaten Not To Enforce Their Own State’s Gun Laws

Now you are kidding yourself. You acknowledge they can fail to enforce some laws, but limit them to some etheral standard of "minor violations" as compared to "major violations". Sorry it does not work that way... did you know they can even offer what is known as "plea bargains" and... even worse "immunity from prosecution for turning states witnesss"? I know it is hard to believe, but they sometimes even do this for mafia hit men.

Police officers may be required to make arrests if they witness the commission of a felony. They may not have discretion depending on state law.

Police officers are required by the Constitution of the United States of America to get a warrant before they arrest anyone.

police officers arrest people all the time without a warrant

Police officers may be required to make arrests if they witness the commission of a felony. They may not have discretion depending on state law.

Police officers are required by the Constitution of the United States of America to get a warrant before they arrest anyone.

police officers arrest people all the time without a warrant

Which just proves that the government doesn't actually protect people's rights.

Now you are kidding yourself. You acknowledge they can fail to enforce some laws, but limit them to some etheral standard of "minor violations" as compared to "major violations". Sorry it does not work that way... did you know they can even offer what is known as "plea bargains" and... even worse "immunity from prosecution for turning states witnesss"? I know it is hard to believe, but they sometimes even do this for mafia hit men.

If there is a state law that requires an arrest then we have another issue entirely. I believe that is what Lahkota is advocating for. That would implicate the eforcement of federal marijuana laws if such legislation is adopted, however..

If Colorado has a statute requiring officers to make such arrests in the case of felonies, and if any or all of the newest gun laws are felonies, and if a sheriff or other law enforcement officer serving under the authority of Colorado law expressed the intent to disobey that law,

I would think that reasonable people would see that as a justification for disqualifying or otherwise removing that officer from his position.

By Nicole Flatow

For months, local sheriffs have been objecting to federal efforts to stem gun violence in the wake of the Newtown massacre, claiming they violate “states’ rights.” Now, with a package of gun violence prevention measures awaiting the governor’s signature in a state that has seen some of the most deadly and high-profile mass shootings, several Colorado county sheriffs are threatening not to enforce their own state’s measures to expand criminal background checks and limit ammunition magazines if they are signed into law. The Greeley Tribune reports:

More: Colorado Sheriffs Threaten Not To Enforce Their Own State's Gun Laws

Cooke won't enforce new state gun laws | GreeleyTribune.com

This is just the beginning.

By Nicole Flatow

For months, local sheriffs have been objecting to federal efforts to stem gun violence in the wake of the Newtown massacre, claiming they violate “states’ rights.” Now, with a package of gun violence prevention measures awaiting the governor’s signature in a state that has seen some of the most deadly and high-profile mass shootings, several Colorado county sheriffs are threatening not to enforce their own state’s measures to expand criminal background checks and limit ammunition magazines if they are signed into law. The Greeley Tribune reports:

More: Colorado Sheriffs Threaten Not To Enforce Their Own State's Gun Laws

Cooke won't enforce new state gun laws | GreeleyTribune.com

This is just the beginning.

Its saying something that he's from Greeley. The place is a shit hole. Laremer is the one that shocked me. Lots of hippies and homos here. Come election time those who passed this crap will be looking for jobs. They acted in accordance to the will of the people of New York. Not Colorado.

Of course they do... much like Sheriffs do. Sheriffs contol the Sheriffs Dept whos employees arrest people, the President controls the Justice dept whos employees go out and arrest people. You really did not know that?

What I know is that you posted this:
The president is the chief law enforcement officer in the country and is similar to a sheriff in that respect.

Which is (a) Bullshit; (b) Bullshit, and (3) all together now, Bullshit. You really did not know that? And now you're trying to spin away from it. Which is Bullshit.

If we ignore the fact that it isn't bullshit you actually scored a point there.

things one would have learned

had they paid attention in school

--LOL

Sheriffs don't make law - they enforce it.

Somewhat like Presidents are supposed to enforce the law even if they think it is unconstitutional like DOMA or should be amended because they think it is unfair like immigration law and his desire to have Congress adopt the proposed dream act?

Presidents are enforcing laws now?? :rofl:
I gotta watch the news more often.

maybe you should watch less of it

that there might be part of your problem

--LOL

Police chief Flynn responded, “My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we’ll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it.”
Read more at Gun-control battle pits sheriff vs. police chief
Dude that is a very good way to get your troops killed.

yes

one set of law enforcement is concerned with the peoples rights

the other is not

police departments are often a political extension of the city government

while sheriff departments are not

By Nicole Flatow

For months, local sheriffs have been objecting to federal efforts to stem gun violence in the wake of the Newtown massacre, claiming they violate “states’ rights.” Now, with a package of gun violence prevention measures awaiting the governor’s signature in a state that has seen some of the most deadly and high-profile mass shootings, several Colorado county sheriffs are threatening not to enforce their own state’s measures to expand criminal background checks and limit ammunition magazines if they are signed into law.

:clap2:

By the way , the purpose of the law is to PRETEND that they are going stem gun violence by infringing upon Coloradans right to defend themselves.

Police chief Flynn responded, “My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we’ll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it.”

yes

the other is not

If you hear about a cop being killed in Milwaukee blame it on the chief.

Just such action was declared to be unconstituional in a US Circuit Court of Appeals Case entitled United States v. Nathaniel Black; 4th Cir.; opinion issued Feb. 25, 2013.

Case involved open carry as purported justification for a Terry stop. Court said it was not sufficient justification for a Terry stop.

More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states. United States v. King, 990 F.2d 1552, 1559 (10th Cir. 1993). Here, Troupe’s lawful display of his lawfully possessed firearm cannot be the justification for Troupe’s detention. See St. John v. McColley, 653 F. Supp. 2d 1155, 1161 (D.N.M. 2009)

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/115084.P.pdf

Sounds like Police chief Flynn might just be facing a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit in the not to distant future.

If the state passed a law making it illegal to get with 100ft of an abortion clinic for any reason, would the sheriffs be right to ignore that law?

Just such action was declared to be unconstituional in a US Circuit Court of Appeals Case entitled United States v. Nathaniel Black; 4th Cir.; opinion issued Feb. 25, 2013.

Case involved open carry as purported justification for a Terry stop. Court said it was not sufficient justification for a Terry stop.

More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states. United States v. King, 990 F.2d 1552, 1559 (10th Cir. 1993). Here, Troupe’s lawful display of his lawfully possessed firearm cannot be the justification for Troupe’s detention. See St. John v. McColley, 653 F. Supp. 2d 1155, 1161 (D.N.M. 2009)

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/115084.P.pdf

Sounds like Police chief Flynn might just be facing a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit in the not to distant future.
A law suit is the least of his concern, dead officers

yes

the other is not

If you hear about a cop being killed in Milwaukee blame it on the chief.

sounds like he is a jack booted thug

Forum List

Back