Companies crapping out on Paula!

She's being persecuted because she's from the South. Mel Gibson made slurs and so have lots of other celebs - and they were all 'forgiven' and given a pass eventually. This seems to be over-reaction on one person.

Paula Deens quotes are not only from a long time ago. her comments on how sad it must"ve been for her great grandpappy to have "lost his workers", after the civil war ended, shows her complete lack of sensitivity to the fact that they were SLAVES, not merely "workers"! That and her ideas for "a plantation style wedding", and her most recent ignorant verbiage- "I is what I is..." Fact is Paula Deen has shamed herself, her sons, and destroyed her career right in front of all humanity. She's getting exactly what she deserves.

Paula Deens quotes are not only from a long time ago. her comments on how sad it must"ve been for her great grandpappy to have "lost his workers", after the civil war ended, shows her complete lack of sensitivity to the fact that they were SLAVES, not merely "workers"! That and her ideas for "a plantation style wedding", and her most recent ignorant verbiage- "I is what I is..." Fact is Paula Deen has shamed herself, her sons, and destroyed her career right in front of all humanity. She's getting exactly what she deserves.

Having lived in GA for over half a century I conclude there is a spectrum, if you will, of this line of thought. Within my own family there are members who are I suppose, nostalgic, for the 'Old South' yet they live in the present. I cannot be certain that at some point in the past that someone in my family did not own slaves, fwiw. I am certain that my grandfather did not--a small farmer and he built his house and did everything else pretty much himself.

'Family' --I would interpret Paula Deen's 'lost his workers' remark as an attempt to convey the idea that there were close relationships. 'Moonlight and magnolias'---charm and hospitality--that sort of marketing brings tourists to Savannah. Although, I believe Savannah is trying to expand its image.

Whatever she 'said'--the issue that prompted the lawsuit is a greater concern to me. Employment discrimination and a hostile work environment.

Maybe she should have consulted with Robert Irvine or someone like that. Maybe what worked when she was starting the business no longer was effective as she increased her empire? Donald Trump thinks she can adapt--survive--I forget what he said. She needs to consult with someone like that. jmo.

Having lived in GA for over half a century I conclude there is a spectrum, if you will, of this line of thought. Within my own family there are members who are I suppose, nostalgic, for the 'Old South' yet they live in the present. I cannot be certain that at some point in the past that someone in my family did not own slaves, fwiw. I am certain that my grandfather did not--a small farmer and he built his house and did everything else pretty much himself.

'Family' --I would interpret Paula Deen's 'lost his workers' remark as an attempt to convey the idea that there were close relationships. 'Moonlight and magnolias'---charm and hospitality--that sort of marketing brings tourists to Savannah. Although, I believe Savannah is trying to expand its image.

Whatever she 'said'--the issue that prompted the lawsuit is a greater concern to me. Employment discrimination and a hostile work environment.

Maybe she should have consulted with Robert Irvine or someone like that. Maybe what worked when she was starting the business no longer was effective as she increased her empire? Donald Trump thinks she can adapt--survive--I forget what he said. She needs to consult with someone like that. jmo.

I agree with almost all of that. But I wouldn't advise anyone anywhere to take advice from Donald T. Rump. ;)

I agree with almost all of that. But I wouldn't advise anyone anywhere to take advice from Donald T. Rump. ;)

Trump--yeah--he is a businessman, that is about all that can be said for him.

Maybe 'Buddy', the Cake Boss, would have better advice for a family owned business.

It sounds like she overextended herself or something. Albany, GA--where Paula grew up--a very small southern town. Resistant to change. Not a good thing. She supported her family and has employed hundreds, if not thousands of people--if she needs to revise her approach to business then she should do that.

I read that Food Network viewers now seem to prefer competitive programs and that Food Network is moving away from the 'how to cook' personalities. That is fine with me.

I mostly feel sorry for her sons, they are decent men, developing careers of their own. Of course they love, and will defend their mama. But their mama put her foot in her mouth several times, and is now reaping the consequences. Yes, Paula Deen was insensitive, insulting, ignorant, and downright dumb, for lack of a kinder term. She can still sell books, make appearances, etc... But her time as a TV star is definetly over. I believe she is regretful, I also believe she is not a horrible person, I, personally, have no problem forgiving her. But Food Network, QVC, HSN, Smithfield, Harrahs/Caesars, Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Novo Nordisk, and whoever's left, understandably see her as a business liability. They were proper to dump her. Amazing how quickly an empire can disintegrate, isn't it? Paula Deen should've used better judgement, and realized Jim Crow sure is tough to swallow, alas poor Paula is literally eating her words now.

I mostly feel sorry for her sons, they are decent men, developing careers of their own. Of course they love, and will defend their mama. But their mama put her foot in her mouth several times, and is now reaping the consequences. Yes, Paula Deen was insensitive, insulting, ignorant, and downright dumb, for lack of a kinder term. She can still sell books, make appearances, etc... But her time as a TV star is definetly over. I believe she is regretful, I also believe she is not a horrible person, I, personally, have no problem forgiving her. But Food Network, QVC, HSN, Smithfield, Harrahs/Caesars, Target, Walmart, Kmart, Sears, Novo Nordisk, and whoever's left, understandably see her as a business liability. They were proper to dump her. Amazing how quickly an empire can disintegrate, isn't it? Paula Deen should've used better judgement, and realized Jim Crow sure is tough to swallow, alas poor Paula is literally eating her words now.

Man, that's fatalistic. Of course she'll be back, don't be silly. Jimmy Swaggart and Bill Clinton and Mel Gibson and Jim and Tammy and everybody else came back. The drama queens of the media like to play this up like it's the end of the world. It isn't.

Matter of fact this bidness about what words Deen used thirty years aog has nothing to do with the actual lawsuit, so this window of drama is just about over forever.

Forum List

Back