Computer technology and this internet.

MS-DOS became obsolete because it had a hard coded memory limitation. The Windows platform only became a viable alternative at version 3.0. Each of the subsequent versions was an improvement over the previous one. There is no support for MS-DOS or any of the earlier windows versions.

XP initially had issues but by SP3 it was stable and reliable and became the de facto standard OS. The growth of the Internet and viruses soon outstripped XP's ability to withstand hacking. There were just too many holes in the code that could be exploited. This was not MS's "fault" because they couldn't predict what would happen in the Internet when they were developing XP.

MS introduced Vista as a means to provide a secure Internet OS. Unfortunately it was an overreach and became a PR disaster that Apple exploited. MS dialed the security into the background and released Windows 7. This is the true replacement for XP and it will be around for a while in my opinion because Windows 8 is more of a marketing exercise than a true OS upgrade. I actually downgraded from Win 8 back to Win 7 because of the limitations in Win 8.

As for hardware that is another story altogether. Top of the line hardware will run multiple OS's and it is possible to keep an old PC running as long as it has a enough Ram and CPU. However the modern demand for Ram and CPU has grown exponentially. So when I purchased my latest PC I went for 8 CPU's and 32 Gb of Ram. That will enable me to run multiple OS's and keep going for the next couple of years. I also have VmWare so I can keep my old OS's up and running in case I need them. Best of all worlds.
I was going to say that you may want to put a dual boot process on your box and run Win8 as well. I patched up to 9.1 so that I could code for windows 8 app store. It seems that Microsoft may have yet again, screwed themselves if they have to keep patching the version. Not many people will continue to write apps for a tablet that updates and leaves their apps behind every 3 months. Soon, coders will be doing nothing but writing updates on old apps....as a full time job!

And another thing while I'm ranting and raving here, so when I started with the internet I had dial up ok, and so all I could do was view websites that were message like boards or maybe listen to a little music all depending, and view some pics if they were in the right format. Streaming video was out of the question with dial up. So I then upgraded to DSL, and man what a difference this was. I could stream video, up load and down load super quick, listen to any kind of music file, and view any picture in any format. This lasted for a good many years now, but wait now I am back to dial up with my service, even though I haven't changed anything with my plan ???????????? How am I back to dial up where I can barely stream music or video without the buffering, but I am still paying for DSL ????

Ok so maybe many more have joined the net experience also, but should I have to pay for them joining up and bogging the system down or should the provider be required to upgrade without casting that burdon upon it's long term customers ? I think they are adding customers yes, but also they are adding huge amounts of money to their system all because of this adding of customers, so I think they should be responsible for the upgrade without it falling back on all of us don't you all think ?
Do you get cable service? Go to them for your Internet and drop the dial up.

And another thing while I'm ranting and raving here, so when I started with the internet I had dial up ok, and so all I could do was view websites that were message like boards or maybe listen to a little music all depending, and view some pics if they were in the right format. Streaming video was out of the question with dial up. So I then upgraded to DSL, and man what a difference this was. I could stream video, up load and down load super quick, listen to any kind of music file, and view any picture in any format. This lasted for a good many years now, but wait now I am back to dial up with my service, even though I haven't changed anything with my plan ???????????? How am I back to dial up where I can barely stream music or video without the buffering, but I am still paying for DSL ????

Ok so maybe many more have joined the net experience also, but should I have to pay for them joining up and bogging the system down or should the provider be required to upgrade without casting that burdon upon it's long term customers ? I think they are adding customers yes, but also they are adding huge amounts of money to their system all because of this adding of customers, so I think they should be responsible for the upgrade without it falling back on all of us don't you all think ?
Do you get cable service? Go to them for your Internet and drop the dial up.
You mean drop the DSL and go to cable right ? I have long left dial up service, but here lately I am back to dial up service again, even though I am paying for DSL. Now all of a sudden there are different plans where as I am on a 1.5 MBPS plan (Have been for years now I guess), and now they offer a 4 MBPS plan for my DSL. They say it will stream Youtube and Netflix with this plan, but what's funny is that it was streaming these sites already before with no problem, so I wonder what had changed ? About a month ago it started to run slower, and then it wouldn't hardly stream at all (buffering like mad), and even after I have cleared my hard drives and there is no bogged down computers at all here, it has to be external upon where my problem is coming in from now. Will look into the cable plan, and hey thanks for the advice and/or help.

Last edited:
Went to get my money back for windows 8.1, and I almost didn't get it back. The guy told me that there was a 30 day money back garantee on the purchase, so I held them to it.

I ask them did they sell Windows 7 (turn the money into that product), but they said nope, and then they said that (they) by instruction of microsoft have to take all the other software down when the new software comes out. I thought HUH?

That was strange to me, because that essentially played into the point that I was making about them rendering peoples machines obselete by such moves, even when the machines still have life left in them. wow!

I mean what do they think, that no one will have to re-install the software for an XP machine, otherwise when that machine may still be in great working condition, but was maybe slowed down due to various issues with the system usage over time ? Wipe drive clears up any of those issues, but then you best have the original disk or you are in a world of hurt trying to buy new.

My machines are in great working condition, but I can't find a new copy of XP (the latest and greatest), to purchase, so that left me wondering what I will do next (maybe trash to perfectly good working machines due to Microsoft) ? That seems crazy to me.

You can purchase a license key for XP Pro on the internet for about $50 (assuming you don't have the original) and the OS software is downloadable. On a clean wiped hard drive it is easy enough to install although it is a little tedious. Once you have that up and running install your virus protection before loading anything else. I would recommend going with one of the other browsers like Chrome instead of IE.

Your XP should be up and running again shortly and as long as you keep an eye on your task manager for any CPU/Ram draining processes you should be good for the couple of years.
I would have to download it to a flash drive right ? Then once I clear the hard drive, then I am to boot back up with the OS system that was downloaded to the flash drive or the hard drive before cleared & then burned to a CD right ? I'm running Norton 360 as my anti-virus program right now on this Dell. I have an HP that needs to be booted back up right now (I cleared the drive on it also). I don't want the Dell system disk XP OS system loaded on board that one like I did once before, because that is a problem in some instances when using the comp like that. I don't know what happened to my HP OS system disk, so I would definitely need to do what you are talking about for that one. Do you have a link for that OS system Key and download ? Thanks

Last edited:
Went to get my money back for windows 8.1, and I almost didn't get it back. The guy told me that there was a 30 day money back garantee on the purchase, so I held them to it.

I ask them did they sell Windows 7 (turn the money into that product), but they said nope, and then they said that (they) by instruction of microsoft have to take all the other software down when the new software comes out. I thought HUH?

That was strange to me, because that essentially played into the point that I was making about them rendering peoples machines obselete by such moves, even when the machines still have life left in them. wow!

I mean what do they think, that no one will have to re-install the software for an XP machine, otherwise when that machine may still be in great working condition, but was maybe slowed down due to various issues with the system usage over time ? Wipe drive clears up any of those issues, but then you best have the original disk or you are in a world of hurt trying to buy new.

My machines are in great working condition, but I can't find a new copy of XP (the latest and greatest), to purchase, so that left me wondering what I will do next (maybe trash to perfectly good working machines due to Microsoft) ? That seems crazy to me.

You can purchase a license key for XP Pro on the internet for about $50 (assuming you don't have the original) and the OS software is downloadable. On a clean wiped hard drive it is easy enough to install although it is a little tedious. Once you have that up and running install your virus protection before loading anything else. I would recommend going with one of the other browsers like Chrome instead of IE.

Your XP should be up and running again shortly and as long as you keep an eye on your task manager for any CPU/Ram draining processes you should be good for the couple of years.
I would have to download it to a flash drive right ? Then once I clear the hard drive, then I am to boot back up with the OS system that was downloaded to the flash drive right ? I'm running Norton 360 as my anti-virus program right now on this Dell. I have an HP that needs to be booted back up right now (I cleared the drive on it also). I don't want the Dell system disk XP OS system loaded on board that one like I did once before, because that is a problem in some instances when using the comp like that. I don't know what happened to my HP OS system disk, so I would definitely need to do what you are talking about for that one. Do you have a link for that OS system Key and download ? Thanks

Which version of XP did you have and do you have the license stickers still on the PC case?

Found the site and bookmarked it. $49.00 isn't a bad price at all.... Thanks

Forum List

Back